Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the image in the second post?
A man's face
Butterfly
A koi
A dog
A small boat floating in a lake
Funyarinpa
View Results

• Locked thread
psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

voltcatfish posted:

Oh some dude on reddit translated it already

Goddamn, just looking at this and I can already tell my mind is going to be thoroughly hosed by this game. And I'm gonna love it. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

All that matters is if we get Phi in a bikini.

Hoping for this.

alcharagia posted:

already happened

A good start, but not in-game / 3D model

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The endgame plot twist will be that everything was painstakingly orchestrated by Sigma in order to bring this about.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Bad Seafood posted:

The endgame plot twist will be that everything was painstakingly orchestrated by Sigma in order to bring this about.

I'm okay with this.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

According to tweets ZTD is "40ish hours, about the same length as VLR."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
VLR was about 25-30 hours for me.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

VLR took me a little longer than 40 hours because I lost an entire branch due to save corruption.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

andipossess posted:

VLR took me a little longer than 40 hours because I lost an entire branch due to save corruption.
Same here. I made the mistake of saving in the PEC Room.

In my defense it wasn't during a puzzle segment so I thought I would be okay.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 2, 2016

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Same here I made the mistake of saving in the PEC Room.

In my defense it wasn't during a puzzle segment so I thought I would be okay.

Wasn't even the PEC room for me. It was the story segment after the Security Room, I think.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The most unstable experience I had with VLR was trying to solve the puzzles in the Archives. Those loving dice had around a 50% chance to crash my game every time I moved them.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

God, the frame rate drops during the dice segments were the most harrowing, especially after I got the save corruption. I lost 13 hours the first time, and those loving dice were risky as gently caress. The line-drawing puzzle in the PEC room made me nervous too, because of frame drops.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I played on the Vita version and never had an issue with save corruption or crashes. I think.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think there was ever any stability problems on the Vita, just the 3DS.

Whenever I needed to save on the 3DS I used the flowchart to jump back to a part where the cast were in either the warehouse or hallway, so basically outside of the puzzle rooms altogether.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I remember a couple people posting that their games crashed and even brought up a crash log on Vita but it was super rare.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The biggest twist of ZTD will be it's fine to save during puzzle segments, but save corruption can occur if saved during the story bits.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So in the past week and a half, I finally played through 999 and then VLR. I just finished the true ending of VLR and got the Platinum Trophy.

I don't even know how to process the last few hours of VLR. My head hurts just thinking about it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So in the past week and a half, I finally played through 999 and then VLR. I just finished the true ending of VLR and got the Platinum Trophy.

I don't even know how to process the last few hours of VLR. My head hurts just thinking about it.

Now imagine there being a two year long period where all signs pointed to there never being a third game :saddowns:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Danaru posted:

Now imagine there being a two year long period where all signs pointed to there never being a third game :saddowns:

I seem to luck out over these things. I waited for a few years before playing Trails in the Sky too, so I never experienced the wait others did.

I'm going to be so confused by the time I get the true ending of ZTD. I can't wait.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
On crashes:

I never once had any problems with the 3DS version, though it might be thanks to remembering to save only during novel sequences. Strangely, when I got a Vita and replayed the game, it crashed on me when I entered the crew quarters for the first time. There were also a few graphical oddities that occurred as well

http://imgur.com/a/vOIqQ

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I remember a couple people posting that their games crashed and even brought up a crash log on Vita but it was super rare.

Oh, yeah, one of those was likely me.

Only happened the one time, thankfully and didn't take any data out with it.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Dio would be the person to crash somebody's game, the jerk.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Alright, I've collected my thoughts and read through the previous threads and all of this one to see what others thought.

Overall, I think I liked VLR more than 999 because even though the setting was less interesting and the stakes weren't as high as 999, I thought the writing was a lot more natural. Maybe not well written, but it didn't drop random wikipedia articles on me in the middle of dangerous situations like 999 did and mostly relegated similar info dumps to the quiet downtimes of VLR. I also felt the weakest characters of VLR (Quark, Clover, Alice) were still much more interesting than the weakest characters of 999 (Lotus, Junpei and Akane) in my opinion.

(999 and VLR Spoilers) I really didn't like Junpei all that much in 999, he just seemed like a typical bland VN protagonist with a sickeningly sweet crush on a girl who acted cute and innocent but you don't really get to see much of her actual, non-manipulative personality or even what Junpei even sees in Akane. I had a lot of trouble buying the relationship between Junpei and Akane and I do feel VLR singlehandedly redeemed him in my eyes, Tenmyouji was a really interesting character and his talk at the end about how he disagrees with Akane and believes even bad endings have meaning was really quite touching and mature I think. Akane is just a character I never liked even before the twist that she was Zero was revealed and the events of VLR kind of reinforced that dislike and knowing that she outright lies to Sigma about not knowing what happens in the Mars Test Base when she's there herself in ZTD is just the cherry in the cake. I'm getting the impression that the world would be better off if she did just burn in that incinerator. Maybe that's a bit extreme or morbid, but I wouldn't be surprised if Akane is either directly or indirectly responsible for Radical-6 spreading across Earth and that by somehow undoing the events of 999, the Radical-6 outbreak doesn't happen. Lotus on the other hand was kind of a nothing character, she didn't really contribute anything to the plot other than help you solve a puzzle in a bad ending by strapping herself into the torture chair, hack a computer and randomly bring up prosopagnosia during it for no reason at the time, even though it ultimately relates to the plot but only in retrospect, and be a hostage for Ace. She does have the backstory of being the mother of children from the original Nonary game but the game doesn't do anything with that revelation and the whole thing falls flat.

In VLR, I think even the weakest characters contribute something to the story even if it is only drama and tension due to how the AB rounds works. Clover, one of my favorite characters in 999 is a lot sillier and kind of dumb in VLR and I definitely prefer how she was depicted in 999 but she still brings a certain tension to the game because you're expecting another Axe ending and she has some investment with both Alice and Tenmyouji which kept me interested in seeing what will happen next. Alice also didn't have a whole lot to do with the overall plot but again, her bitchy self-preservation nature during the AB rounds made her seem more human than Lotus ever did which kept me interested in what was going to happen. Quark was kind of a non-entity like Lotus but since he's so tied up with Tenmyouji's arc, I can overlook that because he compliments Tenmyouji's character so well and is one of the reasons I completely turned around my opinion on Junpei.

I kind of predicted a lot of the major twists of 999. I figured out that Ace was evil, Snake wasn't really dead and Santa was working with Zero pretty easily, though I admit Ace's prosopagnosia and June being the narrator and using the morphogenetic field to save her past self came as a legit surprise. About the only twists I correctly predicted in VLR was Sigma being Zero Sr and the Old Woman being Akane, but everything else like Luna being a robot, K being a clone of Sigma, Sigma being an old man, Tenmyouji being Junpei, the entire game taking place on the moon etc managed to completely blindside me that by the time I finished the true early in the morning, my mind had trouble processing what the hell I just played.

Puzzles aren't the strong point in either game but I think I liked VLRs more, simply because not all the puzzles were math puzzles like most of 999's are and I'm terrible at math at the best of times.

I'm so glad I managed to avoid spoilers for either 999 or VLR and kind of regret not playing them sooner though as Danaru said, I'm glad I don't have to wait long until a conclusion for this crazy ride either.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Maybe not well written, but it didn't drop random wikipedia articles on me in the middle of dangerous situations like 999 did and mostly relegated similar info dumps to the quiet downtimes of VLR.

Well except the bit where Phi and Sigma are frantically searching for a bomb and she stops for 15 minutes to explain Schrodinger's Cat to Sigma in detail

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
It's just the sort of thing that comes with the territory as far as Uchikoshi goes. There was a scene in Remember11 where the main character stumbles into a hidden room, meets a random guy who hasn't been introduced or seen before, and then gets lectured about quantum entanglement

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

voltcatfish posted:

Well except the bit where Phi and Sigma are frantically searching for a bomb and she stops for 15 minutes to explain Schrodinger's Cat to Sigma in detail

There's also Sigma finding Dio and K dead and thinking about fight or flight or something of that nature.

It's been a while since I played either game, but they both seemed pretty bad in this regard.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Literally the first path I went down in VLR had Tenmyouji showing the picture of Akane (though not referencing her by name), so I had figured out he was Jumpei pretty early into my wife with VLR. From there, it wasn't hard to figure out that the old lady was Akane.

The biggest shocker for me was Sigma as Old Sigma.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

It's just the sort of thing that comes with the territory as far as Uchikoshi goes. There was a scene in Remember11 where the main character stumbles into a hidden room, meets a random guy who hasn't been introduced or seen before, and then gets lectured about quantum entanglement

it's epic and people who complain about it are wrong

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

I prefer my coffee black, too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

voltcatfish posted:

I prefer my coffee black, too.
Oh jesus that scene.

Remember11 is just...so Remember11.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Cake Attack posted:

I agree 100%

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

Yeah but at that point they had quite a lot of time to search for the bombs, were in the archives which was probably the biggest pain in the rear end to search for a bomb in the entire facility and were talking about Schrodinger's Cat while searching. It felt a little more believable than everyone in 999 being stuck in a freezer and dying but then Santa decides to talk about ICE-9 for a good 10 minutes.

Momomo posted:

There's also Sigma finding Dio and K dead and thinking about fight or flight or something of that nature.

It's been a while since I played either game, but they both seemed pretty bad in this regard.

Yeah I guess that was pretty bad. I suppose you could say that Radical-6 slowed down Sigma's brain processing power that he doesn't think about reacting like a normal person should. I donno dunno.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mr. Fortitude posted:

and knowing that she outright lies to Sigma about not knowing what happens in the Mars Test Base when she's there herself in ZTD is just the cherry in the cake.

Well, we don't really know whats going to go down in ZTD, so this may not end up being the case.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Cake Attack posted:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008
(Cross post from the VLR LP) There's a movement to get the Zero Escape themed escape room game in other locations besides L.A., thought it could use some exposure here. Here's the link to the Reddit post. https://www.reddit.com/r/ZeroEscape/comments/4htav9/hey_ze_fans_particularly_those_on_the_east_coast/

Also:

Cake Attack posted:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Zero Time Dilemma is going to be out next month holy poo poo. :f5:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Unless you're like me and waiting for the Steam release because you want graphics that aren't rear end and don't have a Vita. :effort:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

(Chances are it's going to look like rear end no matter what you play it on)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Screvvy/status/728442775008518149

• Locked thread