Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aphrodite posted:

...This series is only going to make the bathroom debate worse.

Let's not forget that the lady magic users have a whole sect that hates men, and ALL of them routinely use magic to make men sort of slave bodyguards (don't consider the nuance, the MRA's wont!).

Also all the lady magic users in their literal ivory tower control the world's politics and also RJ skeezes out and has a lot of weird kinky poo poo go on in there.

It's all going to be so problematicglorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Is Wheel of Time the one that got like a slapdash pilot that aired on some deep cable channel at 3am a couple of years ago?

Josh Lyman posted:

Everyone who clamored for a la carte is going to end up paying more for the same poo poo. I hope you're all happy. :mad:

If the cable giants ever lose enough power for a la carte to really catch on, what I predict happening is that cable boxes will finally go extinct like they deserve to, in favor of more versatile STBs like Apple TV and the Nexus Player, and after every network tries to run their own streaming service and fails miserably, they'll instead offer packages that let you add their channels to your Live Channel app on your STB of choice.

Dunno if Apple TV does, but Nexus Player already has something like this, where you can download apps that then add their channel to your program guide. It's pretty cool and I hope it catches on.

zoux posted:

We cut the cord when we moved and we're saving a bunch of money too.

I'm having a bit of trouble watching the NBA finals when it's on TNT, I can use my roommate's parent's DTV log in but TNTs app is so poo poo especially when you compare it to the non licensed streams. You compare it to ESPN's app which is crystal clear, almost never fucks up and makes navigation easy, it almost makes me think that offering extremely lovely non-TV platforms is actually an anti-cutter strategy.

I've been considering it as well, but I like being able to watch TV on every device I own via my HDHomerun and the internet service in my area is overpriced bandwidth-capped gutter poo poo, so I'm waiting for services like PS Vue to become proven reliably before I go for it. Another reason I'm hoping for the brave new tv landscape above, so I don't have to juggle a dozen different apps to watch the poo poo I want.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 2, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

Is Wheel of Time the one that got like a slapdash pilot that aired on some deep cable channel at 3am a couple of years ago?

Yes. They haven't announced who the new show is with, but it's apparently a major studio and not the same company that made the pilot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

Yeah, there was a whole behind the scenes powerplay thing going on where people who licensed it had to produce something so they just threw together a cheap pilot and tried to get around the part where it had to be aired by buying infomercial time on FX.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Vanderdeath posted:

They're making the Wheel of Time into a series and yet no one's making an adaptation of Iain M. Banks' The Culture series. There's no justice in this world.

I read two books of WoT and I can barely remember anything about them other than a lot of talking and walking.

The Culture series would be super expensive to make, where you can film something like WoT in any eastern European city.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

zoux posted:

Fox and Disney are going to bring live programming to Hulu.

The live programming from ESPN seems like a huge deal since that is one of the biggest costs for cable cos and thought to be one of the biggest obstacles to cable cutters.

$40/mo is a bit too expensive for just a few channels, I'm fine with staying next day for now, but it's definitely a step in an interesting direction.

This is the only kind of live programming I wanna see on TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slSmOqdL-rw&t=150s

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
So I watched Game of Thrones and Silicon Valley last night. Anybody want to guess which show had more gratuitous sex and nudity involving horse cocks?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

smg77 posted:

So I watched Game of Thrones and Silicon Valley last night. Anybody want to guess which show had more gratuitous sex and nudity involving horse cocks?

Last Week Tonight

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of fantasy shows, that Wheel of Time adaptation is really going to have to cast some good actors because starting out the characters are all kind of bland. They eventually get their own things going on but it takes a while and I could see audiences getting bored with three generic lead actors.

Yeah. That first book is rather generic fantasy before the threads start spreading out and doing their own thing. It's gonna be a hurdle any way you cut it, my head-edit is to try to condense it down to half a season so that for the second half you can have the chase for the Horn and introduction to Tar Valon and start getting into the more crunchy parts of the series.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait for the inevitable "they ripped this off of Harry Potter" when the eyeless ringwraiths that suck your soul out of your mouth show up in the WoT show.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Snak posted:

I can't wait for the inevitable "they ripped this off of Harry Potter" when the eyeless ringwraiths that suck your soul out of your mouth show up in the WoT show.

That's actually ripped off from The Real Housewives of Orange County

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

less laughter posted:

That's actually ripped off from The Real Housewives of Orange County

:chanpop:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh I actually forgot that while the Dementor's Kiss does exist in Wheel of Time, it's not the Myrddraal that do it, it's the Draghkar.

I know you're joking, but Real Housewives of Orange County didn't come out until 2006, after both of the other things...

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

sbaldrick posted:

The Culture series would be super expensive to make, where you can film something like WoT in any eastern European city.

Yeah, I would love to see some part of the Culture series adapted, but it'd require either an enormous budget or some clever workarounds. Although I'm impressed by how much The Expanse managed on a Syfy budget, so maybe? The real problem is that the Culture doesn't lend itself well to a long running series, because it's a set of different stories set in the same universe, but usually separated by at least 50 years or so. The events of Consider Phlebas are something like 300 years before the events of The Hydrogen Sonata, I think?
Also, The Player of Games is probably the only adaptable Culture novel because it's the most purely traditional in form and plot. I guess Consider Phlebas, but it's summer-blockbuster level in the number of crazy setpieces. I would say Use of Weapons, but it's...it's hosed up. Maybe Game of Thrones has prepared people for that level of hosed-uppedness, but I'm not sure.
Surface Detail, Excession, Matter, and The Hydrogen Sonata are all unadaptable in any form because they require too much of a budget for the level of intelligence involved.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Basically we just need an obsessed billionaire to blow their entire fortune on it and we're golden.

Use of Weapons would be really tricky, not just for the "Red Wedding? Oh you sweet summer child" stuff but because the big twist would be hella hard to build and execute given that we can actually, y'know, see the characters on the screen.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

With what a massive LOTR ripoff WoT starts out as I think that might be a more welcome comparison. It's really going to have ot do something cool to differentiate itself though, since it's pretty drat generic until you get into it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

With what a massive LOTR ripoff WoT starts out as I think that might be a more welcome comparison. It's really going to have ot do something cool to differentiate itself though, since it's pretty drat generic until you get into it.

The best aspects of WoT are the fact that it rips off of Dune so hard. The Aes Sedai are literally the Bene Gesserit and the Aiel are the Fremen, and go figure Rand Al ThorPaul Muah'dib is the chosen one from two separate belief systems. He uses his status as the savior that unites the desert people to enforce his political status with the ivory tower intrigue weavers.

It's pretty dope. I dropped out after like, book nine...

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Spatula City posted:

Yeah, I would love to see some part of the Culture series adapted, but it'd require either an enormous budget or some clever workarounds. Although I'm impressed by how much The Expanse managed on a Syfy budget, so maybe? The real problem is that the Culture doesn't lend itself well to a long running series, because it's a set of different stories set in the same universe, but usually separated by at least 50 years or so. The events of Consider Phlebas are something like 300 years before the events of The Hydrogen Sonata, I think?
Also, The Player of Games is probably the only adaptable Culture novel because it's the most purely traditional in form and plot. I guess Consider Phlebas, but it's summer-blockbuster level in the number of crazy setpieces. I would say Use of Weapons, but it's...it's hosed up. Maybe Game of Thrones has prepared people for that level of hosed-uppedness, but I'm not sure.
Surface Detail, Excession, Matter, and The Hydrogen Sonata are all unadaptable in any form because they require too much of a budget for the level of intelligence involved.

The real problem with the Culture series is it's basically godlike beings loving around on the easiest adaptable level. People accepted that in LoTR but they kept the godlike stuff in the background.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

sbaldrick posted:

The real problem with the Culture series is it's basically godlike beings loving around on the easiest adaptable level. People accepted that in LoTR but they kept the godlike stuff in the background.

It would be kind of hard to keep the Minds' scope of power in perspective but I still think The Player of Games would make for a really strong season of television. Consider Phlebas is a ready-made adaptation, too, in my mind.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

The best aspects of WoT are the fact that it rips off of Dune so hard. The Aes Sedai are literally the Bene Gesserit and the Aiel are the Fremen, and go figure Rand Al ThorPaul Muah'dib is the chosen one from two separate belief systems. He uses his status as the savior that unites the desert people to enforce his political status with the ivory tower intrigue weavers.

It's pretty dope. I dropped out after like, book nine...

It actually got good again, believe it or not. Around 7-9 were the lowpoint, 10 wasn't great, but on 11 RJ got his poo poo together because he found out he was dying and the last 3 are parts of RJ back in top form and Brandon Sanderson who I've come to really love as an author.

Also yep, I somehow never connected it to Dune but yeah that all tracks. Turns out stealing from Dune and LOTR works well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first two episodes of Documentary Now are funny but episode 3 is goddamn fantastic.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
ugh I'm in season 4 now.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Snak posted:

ugh I'm in season 4 now.

Please don't watch season 4.

People can say a lot of rightfully bad poo poo about Dan Harmon, but the man had a passion for making his show and season 4 is what happens when that passion is replaced with a simple desire to earn a paycheck.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

ugh I'm in season 4 now.

If you didn't like the video game episode then the Muppet episode is going to make you hate everything.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
First episode of season 4 was a mixed bag. It wasn't very good, but it had its moments.

I hate what they did with the Dean though. I was actually just about to post about how they managed to transition the Dean character from being a kind of of offensive joke to a cool celebration of his flamboyant cross-dressing.

It feels like a huge step back from the Dean being super awesome last season.

Edit: episode 2 is really bad. If Gilbert actually joins the recurring cast that would be a bit of a silver lining though.

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 3, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The first two episodes of Documentary Now are funny but episode 3 is goddamn fantastic.

They aired out of order, which one was 3 for you? The Vice parody? I think it and The Thin Blue Line parody are the highlights of the season.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Did this poo poo just reference the Halle Berry Catwoman movie, instead of a good movie?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

X-O posted:

They aired out of order, which one was 3 for you? The Vice parody? I think it and The Thin Blue Line parody are the highlights of the season.

The Nanook episode, just all the stuff about how he was actually a great filmmaker. The Thin Blue Line one was pretty fun too. I haven't watched all of them yet though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
How the gently caress does Sunglass Hut have the best loving commercial on Hulu right now? Oh right, because it's not trying to trendy, ironic, and viral.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DRONEZ.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Something tells me the lesbian they killed in tonight's episode of Blindspot is not gonna get a lot of traction.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Sober posted:

Something tells me the lesbian they killed in tonight's episode of Blindspot is not gonna get a lot of traction.

If it wasn't a main or significant recurring character, I think you're probably missing the point about what people are complaining about. No this one isn't going to get a lot of traction.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Didn't people get pissed about the fat girl on Walking Dead dying? She had like 10 lines total.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

LibbyM posted:

If it wasn't a main or significant recurring character, I think you're probably missing the point about what people are complaining about. No this one isn't going to get a lot of traction.
Oh right there's that.

The joke I guess I was trying to make is that no one in their right mind is actually watching Blindspot anyways. :shrug:

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Sober posted:

Oh right there's that.

The joke I guess I was trying to make is that no one in their right mind is actually watching Blindspot anyways. :shrug:

Blindspot kind of read like the definition of a show that would get canceled in it's first season. I've never watched it but I was genuinely surprised when I heard it was renewed.

I read the shows premise, shrugged that off as something that would get cancelled. Than was surprised to learn it was renewed/popular.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 3, 2016

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

LibbyM posted:

I've never watched it but I was genuinely surprised when I heard it was renewed.

You shouldn't be, since it was consistently the highest rated new show of the '15/'16 TV season (followed by Quantico and Limitless).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The Nanook episode, just all the stuff about how he was actually a great filmmaker. The Thin Blue Line one was pretty fun too. I haven't watched all of them yet though.

That Nanook parody episode went way off in a direction I never expected it to go, and it was very very good.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

less laughter posted:

You shouldn't be, since it was consistently the highest rated new show of the '15/'16 TV season (followed by Quantico and Limitless).

It's going to be Revolution though, big drop off once it moves from the Voice, 2 seasons and done. It's already declined since the break.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Got ham is so incredibly stupid at times it wraps around to amazing. Undead zombie crusader Azrael running around stabbing the commish is one of those times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Season 4, episode 4, where the study group loses control of the study room, is a loving amazingly bad episode. It tries to use gimmicks to cover how aimless and unfocused the central idea is, and it ends up just completely sucking. And worst of all it wastes Malcolm McDowell. This season can't end soon enough.

• Locked thread