Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Guys you have more patience for cultists than I do, fair play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chalks posted:

The way I approached it was that anyone who replied to the thread saying "you're lying" was a lost cause, a cultist that is already so far gone that I'll never convince them so why even try. Instead, I replied as a message to any normal person who might read the thread.

I've still not received a reply from CIG support about it btw, they clearly just shitcan difficult questions.

It's a bit surprising how so many of them think that "you associate with known trolls" is a convincing argument, it's like babby's first fallacy. I guess that's its appeal? They know that trying to argue it forces you to their level, while they can use it over and again as long as you don't

They're like those dudes who think they win an argument when their imagined opponents cede the floor. Hint to reddit archivist: sometimes people stop engaging you because they don't believe you're susceptible to reason, it's a sign of disrespect

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

SomethingJones posted:

Phone posting no cattes

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

MedicineHut posted:

Actually It seems to me Chris would actually be the fisherman´s wife. The fisherman being represented by the dev teams working for him.

And the funding whales are the flounder.
Big difference: no moral to the story. When all is over, the fisherman's wife (Chris) and the wife of the fisherman's wife (Sandi) won't be living in a filthy shack or working on a smelly boat. They'll still have a nice mansion and shiny (leased) cars. And the Fisherman's Wife will keep dreaming on.

NSFW

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Einbauschrank posted:

Big difference: no moral to the story. When all is over, the fisherman's wife (Chris) and the wife of the fisherman's wife (Sandi) won't be living in a filthy shack or working on a smelly boat. They'll still have a nice mansion and shiny (leased) cars. And the Fisherman's Wife will keep dreaming on.

NSFW

:prepop:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SomethingJones posted:

Something Awful is great for that, it's a place devoted to idiocy and redemption

like that dude who posted the thread about :derp: help CPS stole my kids totally unfairly dudes :derp: and then posted pics of his hoarder's paradise run-down trailer with broken floors, while having spent something like $2000 on a new gaming computer. A couple years later he made a new thread about how he got his poo poo together and became a functioning parent

dunno the moral of it but it was a great story

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Something Awful is great for that, it's a place devoted to idiocy and redemption

like that dude who posted the thread about :derp: help CPS stole my kids totally unfairly dudes :derp: and then posted pics of his hoarder's paradise run-down trailer with broken floors, while having spent something like $2000 on a new gaming computer. A couple years later he made a new thread about how he got his poo poo together and became a functioning parent

dunno the moral of it but it was a great story

That guy used to post in the GBS Star Citizen thread, laughing at everyone who'd wasted money on Star Citizen. I guess it's a sign that no matter who stupid you are you can delude yourself into thinking you're smarter than someone else. Not saying some Star Citizen whales won't lose their kids over the game but you'd have to assume it's going to be a very small number.

Kinda like Moma posting here, either he has some interest in trying to damage control for CIG or he's really, really dumb. Even Octopode who probably still has unrealistic expectations for the outcome of all this, liked trolling the thread a bit and hopes for a good game, even he, still sold enough of his ships to at least break even. So there's sort of harmless dumb and really loving dumb.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen had every opportunity to lead the space(game) race, but time and time again was beaten by its competitors. It seems competition doesn't faze CR to deliver a product but it seems to make him mad and that's very telling.

Slowly but surely it will be left in the dust, and there will be tears.

no_recall fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 3, 2016

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
hahahahaahaha people spent thousands on spaceship pictures

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
i don't follow this stuff that closely nowadays, but did anything interesting come out of that free weekend

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

duckfarts posted:

i don't follow this stuff that closely nowadays, but did anything interesting come out of that free weekend

Free fly week you mean? Nobody wants to play the game, the last one went by with hardly a fart about it in the thread

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

ComfyPants posted:

A man was walking along a Florida beach and stumbled across an old lamp. He picked it up and rubbed it, and out popped a genie.

The genie said, "OK, You released me from the lamp, blah blah blah. This is the fourth time this month, and I'm getting a little sick of these wishes so you can forget about three... You only get one wish!"

The man sat, and thought about it for a while and said, "I've always wanted to go to Hawaii, but I'm scared to fly, and I get very seasick. Could you build me a bridge to Hawaii so I can drive over there to visit?"

The genie laughed and said, "That's impossible!!! Think of the logistics of that! How would the supports ever reach the bottom of the Pacific? Think of how much concrete -- how much steel!! No, that's beyond even my power. Think of another wish."

The man said, "OK, I'll try to think of a really good wish."

Finally, he said, "There's this game called Star Citizen that I've heard about it. It will have procedural birds, allow you to have a multi-crew ship with dozens of players who actually want to spend hours at a time just hitting a shield button over and over, there will be landing on planets to mine veins of procedurally-generated unobtanium, and you can basically be Captain Kirk, Captain Reynolds, or a space janitor or Space Pele or Space Mario Andretti and everything in between, and it will always have all the depth and fidelity that you could ever want and ever imagine. And it will run on current gaming rigs and 60 fps all the time with no networking problems, it will be free of griefers, and Chris Roberts is writing the story and it will the best epic that has ever been put to paper. So that's what I want. That's what I wish for.

The genie rolled up his sleeves and said, "Okay, do you want that bridge to be two lanes or four?"

:five:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6625021/#Comment_6625021

quote:

I am well aware of what they aim to accomplish I just fail to see how that will look like.

Until now they pretend to not even have a plan, what's simply put a big fat marketing lie and I can't stand this fluff, information void bla bla bla any longer.
Each ATV can be condensed to 5/ 6 sentences which most likely end with soon, the monthly report could be shortened to 25% max. with most likely some more soon.

It's annoying and it is bad community management (not that the community team is responsible for that, they have to less members and aren't allowed to speak about nearly anything, the problem is sitting in the CEO chair).

My subscription is ending and I am not going to buy a new one. If they start to make content for the community and not for possible new backers I maybe subscribe again.

Don't cancel your subscription Karl, they need that money, they really need all the money Karl.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

That guy used to post in the GBS Star Citizen thread, laughing at everyone who'd wasted money on Star Citizen. I guess it's a sign that no matter who stupid you are you can delude yourself into thinking you're smarter than someone else. Not saying some Star Citizen whales won't lose their kids over the game but you'd have to assume it's going to be a very small number.

Kinda like Moma posting here, either he has some interest in trying to damage control for CIG or he's really, really dumb. Even Octopode who probably still has unrealistic expectations for the outcome of all this, liked trolling the thread a bit and hopes for a good game, even he, still sold enough of his ships to at least break even. So there's sort of harmless dumb and really loving dumb.

Well there's always somebody out there who's dumbest in a context that you can laugh at, that's pretty much the meaning of life. The really, really stupid guys are the ones who think they could never be that dumbest guy themselves, they're the ones who go Octopode and defend their stupid with increasingly desperate fervor until they at last have to slink away and force feed themselves humility one bitter spoonful at a time.

To all you Octopodes out there I wanna say that admitting you're capable of being stupid and wrong is a cathartic experience which makes your life simpler and more enjoyable (and also cheaper)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ComfyPants posted:

The genie rolled up his sleeves and said, "Okay, do you want that bridge to be two lanes or four?"

Well how many lanes were there

Seems kinda pointless to write that awesome setup and quit with no punchline

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
star shitizen s05e04 karl kan't komprehend - german lunatic 'auditor' karl's latest 'audit' turns in worrying results - takes to r/dereksmart for answers where the answer is always derek smart!. tags: funny / gay

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

ComfyPants posted:

A man was walking along a Florida beach and stumbled across an old lamp. He picked it up and rubbed it, and out popped a genie.

The genie said, "OK, You released me from the lamp, blah blah blah. This is the fourth time this month, and I'm getting a little sick of these wishes so you can forget about three... You only get one wish!"

The man sat, and thought about it for a while and said, "I've always wanted to go to Hawaii, but I'm scared to fly, and I get very seasick. Could you build me a bridge to Hawaii so I can drive over there to visit?"

The genie laughed and said, "That's impossible!!! Think of the logistics of that! How would the supports ever reach the bottom of the Pacific? Think of how much concrete -- how much steel!! No, that's beyond even my power. Think of another wish."

The man said, "OK, I'll try to think of a really good wish."

Finally, he said, "There's this game called Star Citizen that I've heard about it. It will have procedural birds, allow you to have a multi-crew ship with dozens of players who actually want to spend hours at a time just hitting a shield button over and over, there will be landing on planets to mine veins of procedurally-generated unobtanium, and you can basically be Captain Kirk, Captain Reynolds, or a space janitor or Space Pele or Space Mario Andretti and everything in between, and it will always have all the depth and fidelity that you could ever want and ever imagine. And it will run on current gaming rigs and 60 fps all the time with no networking problems, it will be free of griefers, and Chris Roberts is writing the story and it will the best epic that has ever been put to paper. So that's what I want. That's what I wish for.

This is a good joke and I like it a lot.

I like how Star Citizen isn't

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

Phone posting no cattes

A phone without cattes is a bad phone

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
How do you think CIG's working relationship is at the minute with elite3d?

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare and What We Know!

quote:

elite3D Studio Co-Developing Infinite Warfare
This is something officially confirmed by elite3D Studio. The studio specializes in motion capture, 3D arts, objects and concepts, animations, and more. Founded in 2004, the studio has already worked on titles like Star Citizen, HITMAN, Ryse: Son of Rome, and many others.

AP fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 3, 2016

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

AP posted:

How do you think CIG's working relations is at the minute with elite3d?

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare and What We Know!

loving amazing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CoD's been leaning heavily into milsci for years now and would've written the space FPS thing off as a coincidence if it weren't for Minkoff's "Top Gun" sales pitch. That's not just a burn, that's a cigarette in CIG's eye.

Also I just noticed moma's new av and approve

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Jon Do posted:

heres a game

take a drink every time a puppetmaster defense is used

That kills people, Karl!

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

ManofManyAliases posted:

I know nothing about the contract with Illfonic expect for rumours that those idiots couldn't follow directions.

they could follow just fine the issue was with the moron giving the directions.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Honestly, I just did it to trigger some people on here because it pissed them off so. Now, the browser just autocorrects it when I type it out and I've been too lazy to go in and remove it.

I sometimes find myself typing "CiG" without even knowing why... but at least I didn't go all puppetmaster about it!

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
An old college buddy of mine who I don't really talk to much any more started working for Foundry 42 here in the UK a while back.

I keep wanting to ask him for the latest info on what's going on, but I haven't really talked to him much since leaving college (I'm a terrible friend) and it'd somehow seem off.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Someone should tell him space engineers exists and even has multiplayer persistent servers for his miner grabass dreams

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

GazChap posted:

An old college buddy of mine who I don't really talk to much any more started working for Foundry 42 here in the UK a while back.

I keep wanting to ask him for the latest info on what's going on, but I haven't really talked to him much since leaving college (I'm a terrible friend) and it'd somehow seem off.

You can start trying reestablish communications, its not like he will start feeling the despair immediately. Once it kicks in he'll tell you everything without you asking.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Berious posted:

Someone should tell him space engineers exists and even has multiplayer persistent servers for his miner grabass dreams

These guys don't seem to know how to use the internet or actually play games. Which is why they think PC gaming needs saving. They don't actually know what's going on. They're all either like 45+ or really weird technologically inept nerds.

They could be playing ED but that requires actually doing something that isn't reddit or dreaming up features for a game that can't ever exist. They could play Space Engineers and live out their space miner dreams in a world with cool deformable physics and crafting. They could be playing EvE and using their advanced autism to carve out a tiny space empire in some corner of the galaxy.

It's easier to just post on reddit because nothing is more safe and secure for these neurotic idiots than a game they never have to play.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 3, 2016

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

CrazyTolradi posted:

Barnaby Joyce looks a bit like one of the CIG stooges they have in their videos.

As for a BF WW1 game, if it doesn't have you dealing with boring trench warfare and dysentery, there's not enough fidelity or immersion really. Fresh in our memories.

I hope its a WW2 game so theres tanks, cool vehicles, and Zyklon B grenades.

Honestly I'd never thought I'd say this. But we are DUE for a AAA WW2 FPS.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Samizdata posted:

So, if he did coke with crobber, he'd be Powdered Toastman?

cinnamon toast?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Do you honestly believe Mulder?

Or have you fallen to FUD?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

10 for the Developers: Episode 08
May 2, 2016

@ 11:00

Q: Will planets have variant biomes and or weather regions or will each planet be uniform? Do you think current procedural tech will be capable of generating flora and fauna at a fidelity close enough to the art you are producing?

Sean Tracy: THAT'S a great question so there's actually two questions within...

Forrest Stephan:
Yeah.

Sean Tracy:
So the first one that I wanna-ah-I-wanna deal with is 'will planets have varying biomes', OF COURSE, we HAVE TO, I mean otherwise you're gonna end up with planets that are all gonna look ROCKY...

Forrest Stephan:
Yeah.

Sean Tracy:
...or planets that all look FROZEN, planets that all look... and we've got some of the best uhm... uhm... ATMOSPHERE... TECHNOLOGY that...

Forrest Stephan:
Aw it's INCREDIBLE

Sean Tracy:
...it's... it's....it's...absolutely... PHENOMENAL

Forrest Stephan:
Yeah.

Sean Tracy:
We've got, uh, I don't know how much we're... we're talking about this YET... but we've solved all kinds of LIGHTING uhm.... CHALLENGES let's say, so things like GI on the planets, um... there's a... there's... there's... there's some GOOD SOLUTIONS already in place, so... I don't see ANY REASON why we wouldn't have VARIANT BIOMES. Now, if he's talking about VARIANT BIOMES (points at question sheet) WITHIN THE PLANET itself, so... you've got a planet, UP NORTH is gonna be the polar ice cap...

Forrest Stephan:
Yeah yeah and down...

Sean Tracy:
On the SOUTH is gonna be polar ice cap...

Forrest Stephan:
Yeah.

Sean Tracy:
In the MIDDLE, does it get WARMER or STUFF LIKE THIS

Forrest Stephan:
DESERT OR SUMTHING

Sean Tracy:
ABSOLUTELY there's NO REASON why we can't do this. WEATHER REGIONS is a bit of a DIFFERENT STORY, um, that's a lot harder because... uhm... sure, we can do awh... auh... aawh... all levels of code, we know where you are on the PLANET, we know what SECTOR you're in... uhm... eah-wah-what's around you BUT... how do we communicate that over to the player...

Forrest Stephan:
...and how deep do you go with the design do you have it were when you go to that location it's always raining or do you do it were there's actually some kinda weather happened I mean so I think there's a lot of, uh, things to solve with uh, with the weather

Sean Tracy:
These are the things we're thinking about so the FIDELITY of our PLANETS are GONNA BE SUCH THAT YOU'VE NOT SEEN THIS BEFORE

Forrest Stephan:
No absolutely I've seen it's awesome

Sean Tracy:
Moving weather and things like that on it? That's a problem that we're not yet ready to SOLVE, and they're already taking a look at it so ah... ah...

Forrest Stephan:
Yeah.

Sean Tracy:
VOLUMETRIC CLOUDS and all this sort of STUFF, uhm... but to have MOVING WEATHER PATTERNS and things like that within the planets?

Forrest Stephan:
Yeah.

Sean Tracy:
That'll be something for another time I THINK... Uhm, but I do think that that's gonna be the...

Forrest Stephan:
Yeah.

Sean Tracy:
...one of the pieces we wanna do, I... I... think it'll be AMAZING... So, the SECOND PIECE of this question is, uhm, uh...

Forrest Stephan:
JAH-NA-RAYSHUN

Sean Tracy:
...the procedural tech will be capable of generating the flora and fauna at the fidelity that we are... uh... uhm... YEAH ABSOLUTELY...

Forrest Stephan:
yeah-be-cool-the-artists-still-making-the-assets-so-the-fidelity-will-be-there-right-it's-just-a-matter-of-this-procedural-tech-deciding-where-to-populate-the-uhm-PLANTS-and-the-ANIMALS-right-I-don't-see-any-reasonthatwecanthavethesamevisualfidelitythatwehaveintherestofthegame

Sean Tracy:
And that's the... that's the DRIVE, that's the DIRECTION right

Forrest Stephan:
Yeah.

Sean Tracy:
And... and... all of us had worked on... we've all worked on, uh you know LITTLE LEVELS that have been HAND AUTHORED so much and...

Forrest Stephan:
Yeah.

Sean Tracy:
...our goal with this whole SYSTEM is to able to make an ENTIRE WORLD at that SAME LEVEL OF FIDELITY right, uhm... we wanna have, uhm... you know TREES THAT LOOK LIKE CRYSIS

Forrest Stephan:
Yeah.

Sean Tracy:
We wanna have, we wanna have, uhm... ANIMALS and things like that WITHIN THEM uhm... absolutely we want it to be at that exact same fidelity...

Forrest Stephan:
It's just...

Sean Tracy:
And do I think it's possible, ABSOLUTELY

Forrest Stephan:
I think so...

Sean Tracy:
With MOST of the stuff that we've seen in the last little while, A-ABSOLUTELY

Forrest Stephan:
just have to be smart about how you author your art and as long as you go for you know a very technical practical approach and optimised approach I think uh uh it's really quite...

Sean Tracy:
Yeah that's it and to be honest to the other thing with it is you know, generating uhm-uhm... FORESTS, TREES, ah... even ANIMALS and THINGS LIKE THAT and getting them all placed on the planet... is DIFFICULT yes but... there's harder TYPES of planets to do...

Forrest Stephan:
Yeah.

Sean Tracy:
...the more, one of the more difficult, and you, you've worked on things around this...

Forrest Stephan:
Yeah.

Sean Tracy:
...uhm is like a PROCEDURAL CITY type planet, so what-uh... WHAT THEN doo-we-doo... how do we keep THAT FIDELITY for a planet that's COVERED IN AN ENTIRE CITY

Forrest Stephan:
Yeah.

Sean Tracy:
Uhm, that's a lot trickier.

Forrest Stephan:
Yeah.

Sean Tracy:
Uhm, I think anyways.

Forrest Stephan:
Yeah. Well you know, s'just a matter of MAKE EVERYTHING AS MODULAR AS POSSIBLE th-then you know who knows what you can do right

Sean Tracy:
Exactly.

Forrest Stephan:
Uhm with the right gameplay code

Star Citizen: Who knows what you can do right?

Not you obviously, motherfucker.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

SomethingJones posted:

Sean Tracy:
I don't see ANY REASON why we wouldn't have
[...]
ABSOLUTELY there's NO REASON why we can't do this.
[...]
...the procedural tech will be capable of generating the flora and fauna at the fidelity that we are... uh... uhm... YEAH ABSOLUTELY...
[...]
We wanna have, we wanna have, uhm... ANIMALS and things like that WITHIN THEM uhm... absolutely we want it to be at that exact same fidelity...
[...]
And do I think it's possible, ABSOLUTELY
Sean Tracy's full of poo poo and I hope the people who were swooning over him in here a month or two ago are capable of realizing he's complicit and purposefully giving cultists false hope.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

MedicineHut posted:

Star Citizen: Who knows what you can do right?

Not you obviously, motherfucker.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Einbauschrank posted:

NSFW

But when you take money from deranged people they have a tendancy to camp out on your front lawn bringing down
the value of your house and your neighbors house. Too many smelly, crazy people? welp people start asking lots of questions.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Chin posted:

Sean Tracy's full of poo poo and I hope the people who were swooning over him in here a month or two ago are capable of realizing he's complicit and purposefully giving cultists false hope.

I would fleece citizens for a paycheck and sleep like a stone.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

is it me or has that bald patch accelerated very fast since he came to LA?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Chin posted:

at first he was giving realistic answers but since that is truth it, must avoided like the plague. CIG dont sell truth - they sell dreams to broken people.
In order to keep his job he has decided to sell dreams as well it seems. Shady as the fat fucker chris is. integrity isnt worth much these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I've spent the last ten pages thinking wistfully of Battlefield: Vietnam while I caught up.

Although I deeply hope the new one actually is WWI. Not only would I buy the poo poo out of "Verdun but with better graphics and maps" but the shift back towards "historical" shooters after everyone dunked on Croberts with space games would be too loving funny to miss.

• Locked thread