Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.
Can a man survive without daily posts from MAYO FETISH describing his sexual fantasies about Sanders? I'm jonesing people! What do I do????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

NumberLast posted:

Well that's just not going to happen. I have an early-morning meeting!

well do it some time tomorrow then

I don't have a ton of time today

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

https://twitter.com/billmon1/status/727535665353756672

from the article:

quote:

Former President Bill Clinton accepted more than $2.5 million in speaking fees from 13 major corporations and trade associations that lobbied the U.S. State Department while Hillary Clinton was secretary of state, an International Business Times investigation has found. The fees were paid directly to the former president, and not directed to his philanthropic foundation.

Many of the companies that paid Bill Clinton for these speeches -- a roster of global giants that includes Microsoft, Oracle and Dell -- engaged him within the same three-month period in which they were also lobbying the State Department in pursuit of their policy aims, federal disclosure documents show. Several companies received millions of dollars in State Department contracts while Hillary Clinton led the institution.

The disclosure that President Clinton received personal payments for speeches from the same corporate interests that were actively seeking to secure favorable policies from a federal department overseen by his wife underscores the vexing issue now confronting her presidential aspirations: The Clinton family is at the center of public suspicions over the extent of insider dealing in Washington, emblematic of concerns that corporate interests are able to influence government action by creatively funneling money to people in power.

quote:

Federal ethics rules aim to discourage officials and their spouses from accepting gifts from interests “seeking official action” from a government agency. But the rules do not apply to speaking fees, said Craig Holman an advocate for tightened ethics structures at Public Citizen, a watchdog group in Washington.

The rules at issue “wouldn’t have any regulations that would make this illegal, unless of course there were a quid pro quo, and that would be a violation of the bribery laws,” Holman told IBTimes. “There isn’t an ethics rule that prohibits someone like Bill Clinton from charging exorbitant speaking fees and collecting those speaking fees from businesses that have interests before the administration.”

But regardless of the rules, he added, the dynamic through which President Clinton has been able to profit from the same companies eager to gain the ear of his wife’s department “poses a very troubling conflict-of-interest situation that is going to continue to dog Hillary over the course of the campaign."

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

empireofcrime posted:

Can a man survive without daily posts from MAYO FETISH describing his sexual fantasies about Sanders? I'm jonesing people! What do I do????

lemme give this a try

ahem....

cumming 4 bern

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

pwnyXpress posted:

lemme give this a try

ahem....

cumming 4 bern

Not good enough. MAYO FETISH provided detailed BDSM fantasies about Sanders that made me blow in my pants just by reading it.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

empireofcrime posted:

Where are all the other goons that have pledged lifelong fealty to sanders? This thread feels shaky at best without the spittle-flecked madness of our more "enthusiastic" thread compatriots.

Well I saw a bunch of goons arguing with MIGF in the "serious" thread, so probably there I guess.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

GlitchThief posted:

Well I saw a bunch of goons arguing with MIGF in the "serious" thread, so probably there I guess.

I appreciate thoughtful and serious dialogue, but that thread got to be somewhat unbearable, even as short as it is.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

empireofcrime posted:

I appreciate thoughtful and serious dialogue, but that thread got to be somewhat unbearable, even as short as it is.

I enjoyed it when it wasn't goons entertaining MIGF's threadshitting to score points or whatever. If I wanted that poo poo I'd read D&D.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

:bernget:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Finally listened to some clips of the correspondent's dinner and genuinely lol'd when Larry Wilmore introduced himself as "A black guy who took the place of a white guy that pretended to be a news man" and said he had something in common with Lester Holt because of it

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Why isn't this a bribe? Is it because there is no evidence that they agreed to take such-and-such action explicitly?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Is bribery illegal?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Salt Fish posted:

Is bribery illegal?

uh uh uh
It's lobbying and fundraising. Which is not illegal at all.

But is completely loving spineless and immoral imo.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Smdh

:argh:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Is bribery illegal?

:smugdon:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Punished "Venom" Sanders

A fallen gyro

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Rigged Death Trap posted:

uh uh uh
It's lobbying and fundraising. Which is not illegal at all.

But is completely loving spineless and immoral imo.

eu·phe·mism
ˈyo͞ofəˌmizəm/
noun
a mild or indirect word or expression substituted for one considered to be too harsh or blunt when referring to something unpleasant or embarrassing.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

:bernpop:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

Why isn't this a bribe? Is it because there is no evidence that they agreed to take such-and-such action explicitly?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwrNiRngMhc

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

My healthcare plan doesn't afford me glasses that can read such tiny text.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/03/us/politics/for-hillary-clinton-and-john-kerry-divergent-paths-to-iran-nuclear-talks.html

Hillary literally trying to sabotage potential peace with Iran to lick Israeli boots.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Good to see that even Hillary is going accelerationist in the face of a possible Hillary presidency

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

as halfway crooks posted:

this but unironically

I was being entirely serious. gently caress everyone who thinks this is a sport game where the team has to win even if it's stacked with shitheads. The party is so compromised they can't be relied on to ostensibly defend the country against things the republicans advance.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Well yeah, if you push any legislation worth half a poo poo it might negatively effect your post-government lobbying/consulting/speechifying career

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Lord of Pie posted:

Good to see that even Hillary is going accelerationist in the face of a possible Hillary presidency

hail satan

TinFoilJoy
Oct 15, 2012

empireofcrime posted:

I hadn't picked up on it before, but does Parks not like Sanders? At first I thought she was just neutral on him, but I've seen some indications from her that she likely wish she didn't have to cover him.

I think she's mad because she was assigned to cover him and would rather cover someone else.

And instead of sucking it up and being professional, she occasionally does weird, passive-aggressive stuff

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
http://m.dailykos.com/story/2016/05...ry-in-one-tweet

Way to deflect.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

Hmm. According to fcpa, I believe if these companies did the same thing with officials of foreign governments they would thrown under the jail.

I guess bribing your own countrymen is completely legal!

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

TinFoilJoy posted:

I think she's mad because she was assigned to cover him and would rather cover someone else.

And instead of sucking it up and being professional, she occasionally does weird, passive-aggressive stuff

That's exactly what I got from that last tweet. I didn't think she was being nice by pointing out he still has crowds, despite no media showing up. I think it was the opposite, that despite his large crowds he's dead in the water because the media no longer cares.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

It's not okay for anyone and should be called out. gently caress you. Next.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

They just don't get it. Everything is a gendered attack to Clinton supporters. Smdh

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

In what universe would anyone calling out Clinton for her Goldman speeches possibly not object to Bush or Trump doing the same thing

Are they doing that thing where they conflate Bernie supporters with Trump ones again or what

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

loquacius posted:

In what universe would anyone calling out Clinton for her Goldman speeches possibly not object to Bush or Trump doing the same thing

Are they doing that thing where they conflate Bernie supporters with Trump ones again or what

Clinton, by virtue of weaponizing identity politics, has made "But they do it/did it too!" a legitimate argument.

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008
For them to understand what Bernie supporters are complaining about, they'd have to stop an imagined affixed sexist attribute to it and just listen. But when feminism to them begins and ends with rich women in Hollywood making the same as their male counterparts, there isn't much hope.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

This is the saddest thing I've seen all day. I wonder if she would be happier if that family was starving instead. I guarantee if that dude were dressed differently she wouldn't have made a scene.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)
lol this is truly the bernie thread again, god bless~

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Now we just need to get back up to speed so we can relive all our greatest page count hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

if bernie wins tonight we need a hail satan exemption for a few pages imo

• Locked thread