Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tunicate posted:

So, the bookmark definitely forces Chrollo to explain all his powers in detail when he's using it, right?

Maybe? Except he used sun and moon before he explained anything whereas Genthru explained his ability then it activated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Chrollo doesn't have to limit himself to those five abilities, but as he said last chapter this is just as much about style as it is winning. He explained everything to Hisoka because he is confident that he can beat Hisoka without keeping secrets. Sure, he could pull out dozens of different abilities and never explain any of them to beat Hisoka, but that would be gauche.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Serious Frolicking posted:

There is no prize money, just the nebulous promise of becoming a floor master. Everyone there is a battle junkie.

Basically it's the last part of the ZOT tournament in Battle Angel Alita Last Order and all the audience members are there to witness it to the end regardless of their own personal safety and lives.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Actually, other than Gon and Killua, has anyone ever gotten an explanation of Bungie Gum or Texture Surprise from Hisoka? Without an explanation the way Hisoka's powers work is pretty ambiguous.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gyges posted:

Actually, other than Gon and Killua, has anyone ever gotten an explanation of Bungie Gum or Texture Surprise from Hisoka? Without an explanation the way Hisoka's powers work is pretty ambiguous.

Well the needle girl knew about bungee gum so Chrollo should as well

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Kild posted:

Oh wait. He did explain texture surprise to her. At least in the Anime. Don't remember that far back in the manga.

So Chrollo might know about Texture Surprise?

However Hisoka then uses it in YorkNew to disguise his fortune and no one calls him out on it so...Even she forgot about it afterwards?

So who knows.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Kild posted:

i assume its not a secret. Nobunaga and franklin got into a fight talking about bungee gum.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm pretty sure Hisoka has never explained Texture Surprise to anyone, ever. It's his trump card, and what makes him a true magician. Bungie Gum is just the flourish, the flashy ability to misdirect their attention.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Crain posted:

Oh wait. He did explain texture surprise to her. At least in the Anime. Don't remember that far back in the manga.

So Chrollo might know about Texture Surprise?

However Hisoka then uses it in YorkNew to disguise his fortune and no one calls him out on it so...Even she forgot about it afterwards?

So who knows.

I think he gave a misleading explanation for it in the anime.

In the manga the narrator was the one to explain the powers.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 3, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Texture Surprise is something no one else knows the truth about; that was explicit in Yorknew and key to his plan there, yeah. They probably all know about Bungee Gum, though.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Tunicate posted:

I think he gave a misleading explanation for it in the anime.

In the manga the narrator was the one to explain the powers.

Well the "explaintion" for it is in chapter 55. But Machi seems to already be aware of it. After fixing his arms she says:

"There are still lesions on your arms, but you'll heal after [sic]. With your Pansy [sic] Gum and your Deceitful Texture you might be able to do something for it."

He then proceeds to perform it in front of her, but I'm not sure that all the explanation bubbles there are him actually explaining what's going on. It seems more like it just an exposition section for Togashi to tell the reader what's up.

So he doesn't really give her a false explanation, and she sees it used to disguise his wounds. I think this is just a story misstep.

So Chrollo may or may not be aware of Texture surprise and may or may not be aware of what it actually does.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I can't believe how sad I was watching the end of the Ant arc. That bit after the credits with the King asking Komugi to stay by his side...hoo man, I need a minute.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Crain posted:

Well the "explaintion" for it is in chapter 55. But Machi seems to already be aware of it. After fixing his arms she says:

"There are still lesions on your arms, but you'll heal after [sic]. With your Pansy [sic] Gum and your Deceitful Texture you might be able to do something for it."

He then proceeds to perform it in front of her, but I'm not sure that all the explanation bubbles there are him actually explaining what's going on. It seems more like it just an exposition section for Togashi to tell the reader what's up.

So he doesn't really give her a false explanation, and she sees it used to disguise his wounds. I think this is just a story misstep.

So Chrollo may or may not be aware of Texture surprise and may or may not be aware of what it actually does.

Machi knew that texture surprise exists, but I kind of doubt that she knows all it is capable of. I think this was explained during the scene with the falsified prophecy? I'll look it up later. Heck, we probably don't know all it can do either.

For bungee gum, just knowing how it works isn't enough to trivialize it. Hisoka can use misdirection to apply it or he can just touch someone. I think he can also transfer it if someone touches something it is attached to. Blocking doesn't work, so his opponents have to dodge everything. Hisoka loves to use deception, but he was never completely dependent on it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Machi knew that texture surprise exists, but I kind of doubt that she knows all it is capable of. I think this was explained during the scene with the falsified prophecy? I'll look it up later. Heck, we probably don't know all it can do either.

For bungee gum, just knowing how it works isn't enough to trivialize it. Hisoka can use misdirection to apply it or he can just touch someone. I think he can also transfer it if someone touches something it is attached to. Blocking doesn't work, so his opponents have to dodge everything. Hisoka loves to use deception, but he was never completely dependent on it.

Don't take my job.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

^^ ah cool.there we go.^^

Oh yeah, knowing what his abilities are is almost meaningless.

Machi does say "Even knowing it's there, it would be hard to spot without [seeing it applied or being able to touch it]." The translation was kinda poor so it's not clear on that last part, but regardless in a high speed, high stakes fight like this having to look out for something like Texture Surprise alone would be a huge problem.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Same with bungee gum. If you don't pay attention 100% of the time, he will get you with it. Hisoka is great at pulling wins from the jaws of defeat, chrollo is probably at least semi-boned, although he might make it out

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Like, even if an opponent knows about Bungee Gum and how it works and about Hisoka's love of misdirection and general trickery, Bungee Gum still gives Hisoka basically unparalleled control over position and movement, and not only of himself, of any-loving-thing he can stick the Gum too.

And Sun and Moon is a position dependent ability that Chrollo cannot remove or control once placed.

Chrollo has already lost this, the only question is, how big will the explosion that kills him be.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
imagine not having total faith hisoka is going to win

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
not why this double post got through

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Like, Chrollo is utterly doomed unless he's lying about something, which he for sure is, so he's probably got a better chance here than it strictly looks like he should.

But he's still doomed.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
togashi is building up chrollo's apparent advantage so its cooler when hisoka merks him

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

The thing is chrollo won't in no way let himself be killed so easily either. Hisoka will probably get real close after suffering some grievous damage, but Chrollo gotta have an exit plan

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i think hisoka is going to win, but only for meta reasons,

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I think Hisoka is going to win because his true secret nen ability is fighting power increases with sexual arousal.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Chrollos nen ability is bullshit. The lion dude has a cooler skill steal and it doesn't require 10 pages of exposition.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hisoka is going to win because thinking about how to make a fight with chrollo's miriad of abilities is what caused the last Hiatus.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

Chrollos nen ability is bullshit. The lion dude has a cooler skill steal and it doesn't require 10 pages of exposition.

Calling it now - the lion guy didn't die, he actually used the faceswap power and traded places with chrollo

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Hisoka is going to win because Kurapika doesn't deserve that kill.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Calling it now - the lion guy didn't die, he actually used the faceswap power and traded places with chrollo

As much as there's no loving way this is the case, I totally want this to be the answer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Win or lose, Hisoka's story is pretty much over now. Gon ruined himself, as did Kurapika as far as Hisoka is concerned. He never cared nearly as much about Killua or Leorio. Sure, he could keep on popping up in future arcs (not that there will ever be future arcs), but why?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Win or lose, Hisoka's story is pretty much over now. Gon ruined himself, as did Kurapika as far as Hisoka is concerned. He never cared nearly as much about Killua or Leorio. Sure, he could keep on popping up in future arcs (not that there will ever be future arcs), but why?

Because I don't really believe that Gon is finished when to comes to the story. As much as Tagoshi likes to fly in the face of shonen cliches, there's no way that the main character is gone for good.

I'm sure that we'll get a nice long story arc without him. Maybe two. But He's coming back in some capacity.

Hell. Let him come back Rock Lee style. No nen but at the literal peak of physical ability.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Because someone reports on the Dark Continent, the majority of the world that is filled with insanely deadly threats and esoteric dangers the likes of which even the most powerful men in history could not comprehend and challenge, and the force of blood rushing to his erection will propel him there instantly?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

Because someone reports on the Dark Continent, the majority of the world that is filled with insanely deadly threats and esoteric dangers the likes of which even the most powerful men in history could not comprehend and challenge, and the force of blood rushing to his erection will propel him there instantly?

The man lives for breaking and then killing strong people. If he just wanted to challenge dangerous situations there are tons of ways for a hunter to do so.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

Hisoka doesn't seem like the type of person that would enjoy the threats that exist on the Dark Continent, like Netero. They look for strong opponents in a fight, the stuff on the Dark Continent mostly seems like apocalyptic disasters that you can't fight because they're a disease or w/e.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hisoka is going to win because bungee gum has both the properties of rubber AND gum.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Boy are you gonna feel dumb when Leorio punches supercancer in the face...

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
An integral part of Chrollo's strategy is likely paralyzing Hisoka with information. He can control people, control puppets, make copies, swap appearances, plus untold other things he hasn't bothered to explain (unless, indeed, that is a new condition he has to deal with). Has he used both antennae? Is he stamping copies? Have all the sun/moon bombs gone off? Would any sun symbol coming into contact with any other moon symbol trigger an explosion? Chrollo could, hypothetically, give some puppets the order to "Break" him while others are ordered to touch their symbols together.

Chrollo knows Hisoka's smart, strong, and adaptable, so he's keeping Hisoka on his toes for as long as possible. Hisoka's at his most dangerous when he appears bored because it usually means he's figured you out.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is there an anime where people don't stop and explain what they're doing in the middle of a fight?
One Punch Man maybe?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Hisoka doesn't seem like the type of person that would enjoy the threats that exist on the Dark Continent, like Netero. They look for strong opponents in a fight, the stuff on the Dark Continent mostly seems like apocalyptic disasters that you can't fight because they're a disease or w/e.

netero didn't enjoy it either. So hisoka's probably not going to the continent.

When it comes to him joining the literal bloodbath that will be the succession, i have my hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

Is there an anime where people don't stop and explain what they're doing in the middle of a fight?
One Punch Man maybe?

No OPM does that to, but there the MC just responds with "OK."