Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Kurzon posted:

People are arguing fiercely whether it's better or worse than Winter Soldier. Since Winter Soldier was widely considered the best film in the MCU, that's a good sign of how good Civil War is.

It's not as good as Winter Soldier.

Winter Soldier was a right mess, but at least it had the good grace to actually star the country in the film's title. Meanwhile, this film flashes up location names constantly because they somehow make 5 different places look almost alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Kurzon posted:

People are arguing fiercely whether it's better or worse than Winter Soldier. Since Winter Soldier was widely considered the best film in the MCU, that's a good sign of how good Civil War is.

CW is nowhere near as good as WS. The fight choreography, apart from anything else, sets WS way above it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Winter Soldier was a right mess, but at least it had the good grace to actually star the country in the film's title. Meanwhile, this film flashes up location names constantly because they somehow make 5 different places look almost alike.

It's called Captain America, not The Captain in America.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Cavelcade posted:

CW is nowhere near as good as WS. The fight choreography, apart from anything else, sets WS way above it.

Alright,thanks. I'm not seeing it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

VolticSurge posted:

Alright,for someone like who hasn't seen it, is it good? I liked Winter Soldier and thought Age of Ultron was :mediocre: for reference. No spoilers,please.

It's the best Avengers movie and the worst Captain America movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Any conversation about the best MCU movie should end after everyone agrees on GotG. Like, it's not even a fair contest.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

LesterGroans posted:

It's the best Avengers movie and the worst Captain America movie.

This is the most apt description when comparing it to all MCU films imo.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

VolticSurge posted:

It's either as good as or better than WINTER SOLDIER.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I think it's a tad bit better than the Winter Soldier, and I really really love the Winter Soldier. Either way, it's a drat good movie.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

VolticSurge posted:

It's better than Winter soldier and just plain a very good movie.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's better than Winter soldier and just plain a very good movie.

This.

What I find really interesting is that Peter's motivation for fighting is literally that "If you see someone and don't help then you're responsible." The accords run exactly counter to that intuition and so what Peter's conscience tells him is the same as Cap's. But he's fighting for Stark. To me this is probably the biggest indictment of Stark's team, despite the fact that broadly I agree with the accords on a personal level.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Are you seriously mad because AMERICA doesn't figure in prominently enough in the movie because that's the most absurd criticism to level against the movie.

EDIT: This sounds like something Donald Trump would bitch about.

Stunt Rock fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 5, 2016

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It's better than Winter Soldier and the plot makes a lot more sense than SHIELD having been HYDRA all along.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Stunt Rock posted:

Are you seriously mad because AMERICA doesn't figure in prominently enough in the movie because that's the most absurd criticism to level against the movie.

EDIT: This sounds like something Donald Trump would bitch about.

It's not just that it's not about America - the movie isn't really about the American experience either. That's a terrible choice.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The political motivations behind the "civil war" itself are extremely American. Which is partially why it's such a shame that the Bucky plot overshadowed it so much.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Thor: The Dark World was mostly set on worlds that were well lit. Avengers: Age of Ultron covered a period of time of roughly a week, it was nowhere near an age. Those clowns at Marvel are just making poo poo up, don't they know how hard they're triggering my OCD???!?? :argh:

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

This.

What I find really interesting is that Peter's motivation for fighting is literally that "If you see someone and don't help then you're responsible." The accords run exactly counter to that intuition and so what Peter's conscience tells him is the same as Cap's. But he's fighting for Stark. To me this is probably the biggest indictment of Stark's team, despite the fact that broadly I agree with the accords on a personal level.

Spiderman and Antman are the best part of the movie. It's a shame they're only in it for a fight that only gets good once Antman decides to be gigantic.

doverhog posted:

It's better than Winter Soldier and the plot makes a lot more sense than SHIELD having been HYDRA all along.

The plot of Winter Soldier is that people who want order at any cost shouldn't be given unilateral control to drone bomb all their enemies without trial. It gets mixed up with this Hydra stuff and is worse for it, but it's a functional plot that makes sense.

Out of curiosity, what do you think is better about it than Winter Soldier?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

A question I have because I'm not watching SHIELD, but what is the status of Hydra at this point? I can't remember if they've been dismantled or not.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

A question I have because I'm not watching SHIELD, but what is the status of Hydra at this point? I can't remember if they've been dismantled or not.

Their last big leader Powers Boothe (from Avengers 1) was killed by the ancient Inhuman god that the founders of Hydra worshipped. Then General Talbot (from the Hulk comics) used info obtained from him to launch a simultaneous worldwide 'decapitation' attack on all known Hydra assets and bases. Any remaining Hydra troops accounted for are now working for that ancient Inhuman.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

SHIELD is all about Inhumans now. They are popping up everywhere and unless the movies start addressing that somehow the claim it's the same universe completely falls apart. Which it already did I guess, but even more so.

Cavelcade posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you think is better about it than Winter Soldier?

The conflict about what's right in the abstract being translated into real conflict between the characters was nicely done. Also Cap being wrong was interesting.

Don't get me wrong, Winter Soldier was good too. The real reason might just be that Civil War has more cool fights, stuff and characters in it and is more fresh in my memory.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

doverhog posted:

The conflict about what's right in the abstract being translated into real conflict between the characters was nicely done. Also Cap being wrong was interesting.

Don't get me wrong, Winter Soldier was good too. The real reason might just be that Civil War has more cool fights, stuff and characters in it and is more fresh in my memory.

Fair enough. I watched WS the first time about a week before going to CW and I thought the fights were way more satisfying in that. I think the elevator fight scene and the buildup to do it is one of the best Marvel's ever done, from how it's framed to how it's executed. I guess I was little disappointed that the accords kind of disappeared for the most part after act 1, when everyone started acting unilaterally anyway, including Iron Man.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

doverhog posted:

SHIELD is all about Inhumans now. They are popping up everywhere and unless the movies start addressing that somehow the claim it's the same universe completely falls apart. Which it already did I guess, but even more so.

While Ike Perlmutter is in charge of TV it's never going to happen. He's taken that bitterness he had over getting ousted from heading up the movie division and used it to block any TV/Film crossover. It's essentially why no one knows Coulson is still alive. For all intents and purposes, he's still dead in the movieverse.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Cavelcade posted:

I guess I was little disappointed that the accords kind of disappeared for the most part after act 1, when everyone started acting unilaterally anyway, including Iron Man.
In this movie, Cap is on a personal mission rather than an ideological crusade (as in the comic arc), but the Accords are what makes Iron Man get in his way. If there were no Accords, Iron Man would let Cap do as he please and may even help out. But those days are over.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Kurzon posted:

In this movie, Cap is on a personal mission rather than an ideological crusade (as in the comic arc), but the Accords are what makes Iron Man get in his way. If there were no Accords, Iron Man would let Cap do as he please and may even help out. But those days are over.

It's still ideological. The reason he refuses to sign the accords is actually what Tony's done to Wanda - he was willing to sign and take Bucky in until then. I don't think this is necessarily a flaw in the movie, since it's a bit of nuance - my problem is that after that scene it starts falling away in importance to Cap's quest for Bucky. I'd prefer if the ideological and personal missions were merged a bit better. Winter Soldier did a better job with how it handled its plot threads, I thought. Except making it be Hydra, the only Hydra element we needed was the guy who digitised his brain onto tapes because that was just amazing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kurzon posted:

Also the main point of contention is whether they should let the police shoot Bucky on sight because he blew up a UN meeting or whether he should be saved, when no one raised the point that his MO is to shoot people rather than blow them up so the whole situation is a bit suss. Also I guess no one bothered to follow due process and investigate the UN attack properly and actually build a case against Bucky but just went "Oh here's a blurry security photo that I guess matches this guy, let's go kill him."

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 5, 2016

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Is there any point in seeing it in Imax or is it like Age of Ultron where the one opening scene was worth it and the rest wasn't?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also the main point of contention is whether they should let the police shoot Bucky on sight because he blew up a UN meeting or whether he should be saved, when no one raised the point that his MO is to shoot people rather than blow them up so the whole situation is a bit suss. Also I guess no one bothered to follow due process and investigate the UN attack properly and actually build a case against Bucky but just went "Oh here's a blurry security photo that I guess matches this guy, let's go kill him."
Bucky is also wanted for his crimes in Washington D.C. Knowing what he did and what he is capable of, I'd tell my men to just kill him on sight too.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Those were all Robert Redford's crimes though.

gregday
May 23, 2003

The Onion reviews Civil War

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like this, making fun of people who feel every single character in a movie needs to be explained.

doverhog posted:

I've been assuming every modern day character in the movies and TV shows are going to show up in Infinity War.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I've been assuming every modern day character in the movies and TV shows are going to show up in Infinity War.

Not if Ike has anything to say about it!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

All the movie characters are going to be showing up (I don't know how confirmed that actually is, but the Russos did mention in an interview before that they're looking forward to working with Chris Pratt, so you can at least assume that's the case) but those poor TV folk are going nowhere near them. I'm sure it'll get mentioned though in Season 3 of Jessica Jones or whatever.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

All the movie characters are going to be showing up (I don't know how confirmed that actually is, but the Russos did mention in an interview before that they're looking forward to working with Chris Pratt, so you can at least assume that's the case) but those poor TV folk are going nowhere near them. I'm sure it'll get mentioned though in Season 3 of Jessica Jones or whatever.

The Russos said Avengers 3 and 4 (still part 1 and part 2 at the time) would feature 70+ characters.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

The Russos said Avengers 3 and 4 (still part 1 and part 2 at the time) would feature 70+ characters.

Even if characters like Jessica Jones are just in there for a moment, it will be awesome to get a shot of every Marvel superhero standing together before a final battle or something.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Even including the TV folks, I'm not sure how that is possible.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They seem to be building up Infinity War as the 'big finale' (at least for this mega-phase), so not taking every single opportunity to cram in heroes from all available media would be crazy.

Also Daredevil and Jessica Jones are both way better than every existing MCU movie hero except the non-Starlord Guardians.

e: Also I'm pretty much convinced that the Russos are waaaaaaaay out of their depth for a movie as big as this one is going to be. They've proven that they can make action movies that aren't Snyder level disasters, but I can't see them pulling off anything of a larger scale than Civil War.

stev fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 5, 2016

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Some of those can be cameos, so whatever, cram them into one shot if they have to be there. There isn't enough room to have 70 characters doing something meaningful in one film.

Civil war was pretty big, 250 mil budget. How much bigger can Infinity War really be?

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Civil War definitively shows that everything that occurs in the MCU outside of Guardians is to put asses in seats for the next thing. It's the stinger/promise principle extended over the entire film, and why they allow Spider-Man and Ant-Man quips to steal the thunder away from what should by all means be a logical emotionally driven climax.

Nothing has a satisfying conclusion because they can't afford to do anything they can't take back. Which is way characters "die" but don't, institutions get upended but not-really, friends become foes but not really. A series of films are strung together, and yet over the course of them, nothing matters, and they're about nothing.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

MasterSitsu posted:

Civil War definitively shows that everything that occurs in the MCU outside of Guardians is to put asses in seats for the next thing. It's the stinger/promise principle extended over the entire film, and why they allow Spider-Man and Ant-Man quips to steal the thunder away from what should by all means be a logical emotionally driven climax.

Nothing has a satisfying conclusion because they can't afford to do anything they can't take back. Which is way characters "die" but don't, institutions get upended but not-really, friends become foes but not really. A series of films are strung together, and yet over the course of them, nothing matters, and they're about nothing.

Sounds like most superhero comics by Marvel and DC, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

MasterSitsu posted:

It makes sense that Marvel would write its movies the same way it writes its comics.

Oh, and characters do die, namely the villains. Which actually is disappointing. We've lost Red Skull (?), Baron Strucker, and Crossbones. I expected Crossbones would actually last longer, given how his survival seemed to be a big deal in Winter Soldier. And Baron Strucker just gets punked so bad. At least they were smart enough to preserve Loki.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 5, 2016

• Locked thread