Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah those Japanifornian shrine Amish really dont give their kids much freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah those Japanifornian shrine Hare Krishnas really dont give their kids much freedom.

Fixed to reflect the outfits; at least Amish folk look kinda respectable, if archaic, but what on earth is happening with Maya's clothes?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

resurgam40 posted:

Fixed to reflect the outfits; at least Amish folk look kinda respectable, if archaic, but what on earth is happening with Maya's clothes?

You don't like the traditional American kimono?

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Ah Wendy Oldbag, one of the best characters to deal with. Mostly I love that when she gets on a ran the text speed runs by really fast, like a ranty person would be talking :allears: It needs to be seen animated to appreciate it.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Bacon In A Wok posted:

For shame, sir! How can you even suggest that the television producers of Japanifornia would cast a Prosecutur in a villainous role?! Now the Two-Edged Defense Attorney, that would make a credible villain!

Wouldn't it work better as the 'Two-Faced Defense Attorney'?

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS

Deathwind posted:

Wouldn't it work better as the 'Two-Faced Defense Attorney'?

Eh, a defence attorney being two-faced isn't too believable. The Two-Faced Defence Attorney's Assistant on the other hand...

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

The Watercrown posted:

Eh, a defence attorney being two-faced isn't too believable. The Two-Faced Defence Attorney's Assistant on the other hand...

You say that, but Maya does literally have two faces depending on whether or not she's channeling her sister...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

inflatablefish posted:

You say that, but Maya does literally have two faces depending on whether or not she's channeling her sister...

:thejoke:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 3 - Turnabout Samurai
Investigation (Day 1) - Part 2

We left off having to go get a note from Will before we could get into the studio.

: They all think I did it, don't they?
: N-no, not at all! Isn't that right, Nick?
: Right, not at all. At worst, you're a suspect.
: *sniff*

: Mr. Powers, you aren't hiding anything from me, are you?
: W-what? No! I'd never do that!
: Just now you said that you were sleeping in your dressing room after lunch.
: Yes. Like a baby.
: But the security lady said she saw you that day. She says she saw you heading towards the scene of the crime!
: W-what!? That's not possible! I... I really don't know what to say! I was sleeping, I promise!
: Mr. Powers, if you want me to help you, you have to tell me the truth. I'm new to this lawyer business, and I need every advantage I can get.
: I know... I-I'm sorry. *sniff* But, I swear to you on my momma's grave, I was sleeping. Maybe the security lady only thought she saw me?
: (What did she see...? He doesn't seem to be lying.)

: Umm... about the security guard at the main gate to the studio...
: Oh, the security lady?
: She's terrible! She called me "suspicious lookin'"!
: Y-yes... actually, she's said the same thing to me before. "Take off that mask!" were her words, I believe. She sucks up to all the bigwigs at the studio... But let her see you stumble once and she'll never let up on you.
: Grr! She's got some nerve!
: Do you think you could write up a letter formally requesting my representation?
: Of c-course.

: (I just hope this will get me past that security lady.)

Let's find out.

: Hmm...? Yes, yes. I recognize the bold, childish scrawl.

: To think he would entrust his fate to youths of such unreliable appearance...
: Really!
: Really?
: Anyway, you may pass. But only left from here, toward the studios! No going to the right. That's the Employee Area.
: "No one allowed inside, pal" were my instructions. The good detective told me himself.
: Hey, hey, Nick.
: Huh?

: Hey! Not bad!

: 50 cents!

: Aren't you that murderer from the other day!

: Hey pal, you know Prosecutor Edgeworth is all upset, and it's your fault!

: Umm... so?
: Hey! If he's depressed, it's all your fault for doing sloppy detective work!
: !!! ... ... ...
: Um, Detective?
: I think you hurt his feelings.
: Oh no! I... I'm sorry!
: Well, I think his feelings are easily hurt.
: You're right, pal. It's all my fault. I can blame other people all I want, but I know the truth in my heart!
: Hey, hey! Don't take it so hard! There's always the next case!
: Yeah, I suppose you're right.
: Hey!
: What exactly are you two doing here?
: Um, well...
: We're on this case too, pal!
: Huh!? Hey! You can't just go saying "pal" like that! That's MY endearing character trait!
: I'd say he's a character alright...

Let's take a look around.

: Detective Gumshoe, what's down the path to the left? It looks like a tree fell down over the path...?
: Oh, yeah. That way's kind of dangerous. You should stay out, pal. There's nothing down there, anyway.
: That's where Studio Two used to be, they tell me. They don't use it now, though.

: Hey, there's a camera here.
: That's the security camera. It takes photos of people going to the studio.
: All you have to do is look at the data and you can see who went where!
: There's a number plate on the camera... [ST1-307]. That must be the camera ID number.

: I'm a little bushed. Maybe I'll take a short rest here.
: Hey, good idea, pal!
: Detective! Aren't you on the case?
: W-well, yeah, but... Hey, us detectives get tired of standing around too, pal!

: There's a big welcome sign above the path.
: Yeah, apparently the studio's fallen on tough times. They've started letting people in on days they aren't filming. They make a bit of extra money by charging for admission.
: Huh. You sure know a lot about this place, Detective.
: You know, you could always quit being a detective and work here?
: Yeah! And what perfect timing, with the monkey's neck broken and all.
: Huh? Just what's that supposed to mean, pal!?

: The studio mascot. I guess it's a monkey of some kind. But what kind of monkey has a nose like that? He's holding a sign in his hand. [Right: To Studio One. Left: To Studio Two.]

: Oh, the wind was pretty strong yesterday, and the head broke off. It took that tree down with it, too.

: The entrance to Studio One. This is the studio where they found Jack Hammer's body.
: Let's go in and check it out, Nick! ...
: Hey! It's locked!
: Looks like you need a cardkey to get in. It makes sense that they would want to keep the non-employees out.

Now we can question Gumshoe.

: So, how is your investigation going, Detective?
: Well, it's... Hey! I can't tell you that, pal.
: Nick... Maybe you need to be a little more indirect with your questions?
: Right. So, Detective, mind if I take a look at what you got?
: What I got?
: The autopsy report! The latest version, if you please...
: Hmm... right, right. Sorry about what happened last time, pal.

: Why was Mr. Powers arrested?
: Simple, pal! The murder took place right over there in Studio One.
: Now, the victim entered Studio One at approximately 1:00 PM. At that time, there was no one other than the victim in the studio. According to the autopsy report, the time of death was 2:30 PM.
: Only one person went to the studio between 1:00 and 2:30!

: No one else, pal! If you think I'm lying, ask the security lady at the main gate.
: Nick! If that's true...!
: Anyone would think that Powers did it with that kind of evidence!
: Thanks for cheering me up...

: About the security lady...
: Oh, that sweet old lady. What a charmer!
: Huh? A-are we talking about the same person?
: When I showed her my badge she gave me a donut and some coffee!
: Remember what Powers said. She's a sucker for authority.
: She even gave me a piece of valuable evidence!

: What kind of evidence!?
: Well, that, er, photo.
: The photo of the Steel Samurai heading toward the scene of the crime!

: See the camera up on that gate, pal?
: The gate? You mean the one with the welcome sign?
: Yeah. Whenever someone walks by, that camera automatically snaps a photo of them!

: Nick, he has evidence! We're finished!
: (Funny, for someone with hard proof he doesn't look too happy.)
: ...
: What's wrong, pal? You seem down.
: Don't look so happy when you say that.
: Oh hoh hoh hoh hoh!
: Umm... We'd like to ask the employees here some questions...
: Sure thing, pal. Go wherever you like. Of course, you're not going to find any clues I haven't already found! Hah hah hah!
: (I'm glad someone around here seems to be enjoying themselves.)
: Nick, let's go! We've got a free pass to the place. Now's our chance to check things out!

And hey, let's try the badge for the road.

: Uh huh? Don'tcha think it's a little sad when you have to explain what your badge means, pal?
: Real men show their P.D. badge and that's that!
: I'll admit the design of my badge leaves a lot to be desired...
: Maybe it should just be a big "L" for "Lawyer"?
: Hmm... I'm not so sure about that.

: That security lady is in the guard station stuffing her face with donuts!
: I guess all cops like their donuts!
: Yeah, and they're soft enough she doesn't need teeth to chew them...
: Hey, you!

: Well? Are you satisfied Powers is guilty yet?
: (Urk! She had to make my life harder by giving that photo to Detective Gumshoe...)

: Why didn't you tell us about the security photo, ma'am?
: Hmm? Oh, that? I just thought it would be more thrilling to talk with the detective himself!
: These things are important, you know.

: It's my job to check the photos every day, you see.

: This guard station is in a central position. No matter where you go here, you pass by my station first! Now poor Hammer, he went to the studio just before 1:00. The murder happened right around 2:30, see?
: The only one I seen go through here between 1:00 and 2:30 was Powers himself! The security camera got a good look at him too.
: If he's not the one what did it, I don't know who is!
: Maybe... it was you?
: Gyah hah ha hah! Good one, sonny.
: (She thinks I was joking.)

: Was the victim, Mr. Hammer, a popular actor?
: Oh, he was the biggest star in the studio!
: ("Was"? Past tense?)
: Oh yes! He was great as the "Bearded Samurai"!
: That too, yes. He shone the brightest! Back in the day.
: Making a star like him play the "Evil Magistrate"... It's a disgrace, I tell you! Hammer took it pretty hard, and who can blame him?

: About the security camera...
: Oh yes, the camera.

: Then it snaps a photo! Apparently, it records the time when it takes a picture too.
: But I don't bother myself with those details. I just view all the photos on the computer over in the security guard station. I check 'em every day before going home, I do.

: Nick!
: This is where they do all the behind-the-scenes stuff!
: Hey! Look! There's Powers's dressing room!
: No one's here this soon after the murder I guess.
: Let's take a look around!

An excellent idea. There's no one here to talk to, of course, but there's plenty to look at.

: The door to the dressing room. It's not locked.
: Hey, Nick! Let's take a look inside! Maybe we can find something as a souvenir...?
: What do you mean "find"!?
: You never know! There might be something like... the Samurai Spear!
: We don't need a spear! (And that's the murder weapon for crying out loud!)

: There's a sign on the dressing room door. "Mr. Will Powers"... it must be neat to be the star and have your own room like this.

: A window into the dressing room. The glass is frosted, so I can't see inside.

: Let's see... cola, candy, chips, gum... Huh. It's so... normal. I was expecting some cool theme snacks or something. Popcorn, at least!
: W-wait! Look! "Samurai Soda"! Nick! Try this!
: (Ladies first...)

: That must be the storage room. That's where they keep all the film equipment.
: Wow, Nick! You know a lot about the industry!
: Umm, what else would they keep in a film studio?

: The remains of yesterday's lunch are scattered around. Everyone was probably too shocked to clean up.

: Mmm! T-bone steak! That would have hit the spot.
: You just had a burger!
: Yeah, but I have a second stomach just for steaks.
: (What!?)

We move over to the other half of the area.

: Looks like one of those electric-powered bicycles. I dunno about these. I mean, what's the point?
: It makes it a lot easier to go up hills!
: Don't people cycle to get exercise!?

: There's a half-finished backdrop for a stage here. Looks like a castle. Probably "Neo Olde Tokyo Castle."

: The metal grate on the drain here has been taken off. That's a pretty big drain. A kid could fit through there, I bet.
: Yeah, if you snuck in that way you wouldn't have to pay at the gate!
: Well, if you want to leave that way, be my guest.
: Right!

Nothing left to see here, so...

: (Powers's dressing room... So this is where he was sleeping? Or at least, this is where he claims he was sleeping.)
: No one actually saw him taking a nap here, did they?
: Right, and there's a picture of him near the crime scene. (I hope he's telling the truth... for his sake!)

Let's get to work.

: Hmm? This must be Powers's bag.
: Hey, don't open that.

: An employee cardkey. That must be Powers's. It says "Studio One."
: Let's take it, Nick!
: Borrow it. You mean borrow.

: There's a vast array of cosmetics here.
: Ooh!
: This is the wig he used in "Samurai Boogey-Woogey"! Nick! Try this on!
: No. And how can you tell the name of a show just by looking at a wig!?
: I, um, kinda like samurai movies.
: ("Kinda"...?)

: There's some regular suits in among the costumes here. Those must be his own clothes.
: It'd be fun to wear one of the costumes...
: (I'd say you were already wearing one, myself.)

: There's a bunch of snacks on the table. They must give these to the employees. Some tea and cookies...
: Nick... I'm hungry!
: You just had a burger!
: Yeah, but I have a separate stomach for sweets!
: (How many stomachs does this girl have!?)

: It's locked. Looks like he doesn't open his window much. I guess it is kind of dusty outside.

: Looks like someone was sleeping here. Maybe Powers did take a nap here yesterday...

Well, that seems to be all we can get from here today.

Next time: Studio One.

North Carolina Admin. Code 04B.0312 posted:

A rattlesnake milking exhibition for which an admission fee is charged is subject to the gross receipts tax imposed under G.S. 105-37.1.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 4, 2016

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I like how Maya apparently likes to eat a lot and yet shows no sign of it, that's how you know someone's an anime (or a RPG character). Also,rattlesnake milking exhibition!? what? Why is that a thing?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Stephen9001 posted:

I like how Maya apparently likes to eat a lot and yet shows no sign of it, that's how you know someone's an anime (or a RPG character). Also,rattlesnake milking exhibition!? what? Why is that a thing?

Because watching someone collect venom from a rattlesnake is kind of cool, and you might want to charge money for it at some point?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Thinker statue-clock thing, Thinker statue-clock thing again but with the clock parts removed, samurai spear.

I'm betting the 4th murder weapon will be a feather duster and the 5th will be Killerman's anime laser beam.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Mors Rattus posted:

: Hmm? This must be Powers's bag.
: Hey, don't open that.

: An employee cardkey. That must be Powers's. It says "Studio One."
: Let's take it, Nick!
: Borrow it. You mean borrow.

Yes, Nick, you are an adventure game protagonist. But hey, whatever gets you through the night.

And seeing the employee area reminds me of the Great Sky Controversy of the last thread. Apparently, a surprising number of people thought that it was in a big room with a white ceiling, even though you can make out clouds up there and obvious shadows around the objects that don't really have any reason to be indoors. Like the ladder.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Thinker statue-clock thing, Thinker statue-clock thing again but with the clock parts removed, samurai spear.

I'm betting the 4th murder weapon will be a feather duster and the 5th will be Killerman's anime laser beam.

At least the Killerman mystery will be easy to solve.

Killerman is Killerman.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Night10194 posted:

Killerman is Killerman.

Spoilers! The player is supposed to wrestle with whether they, themselves, could be Killerman. It's very deep, you see.

Speaking of which, I think the game has already given us a pretty serious clue in the dialogue, but I don't know if I'm remembering correctly. I suppose hunting around some more will show whether that's right.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

resurgam40 posted:

Yes, Nick, you are an adventure game protagonist. But hey, whatever gets you through the night.

And seeing the employee area reminds me of the Great Sky Controversy of the last thread. Apparently, a surprising number of people thought that it was in a big room with a white ceiling, even though you can make out clouds up there and obvious shadows around the objects that don't really have any reason to be indoors. Like the ladder.

I was one of those who thought at first that it was a room with a ceiling. Though I don't remember much of a controversy; I remember a bunch of people, when told that it wasn't a room, it was outside, going "Whaaaaat?" and getting their minds blown with the realization. Like you said, once someone points it out to you, it's not hard to see the sky -- but I missed it at first because I was paying more attention to the objects "in" the "room".

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Yes, the employee area is outdoors. It wouldn't make much sense to have a window in WP's room just into the employee area. Opening it would do nothing if the employee area was indoors.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

When I first played this years ago, I thought it was a really big room and the dressing room was a converted office (because openable indoor windows exist). Once you're told it's outdoors it's like that drat FedEx arrow and you can't unsee it.

Also, this is the first case where it's really hard to escape the Japan in Japanifornia. If you don't know anything about American criminal law or some of the more important aspects of Shinto religious iconography, then you can sort of buy what's going on, but slapping "samurai" on everything is a little too obvious.

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
Did you miss the ladder/stepladder joke? 'Cause I always look forward to that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There are...two ladders.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mors Rattus posted:

: Aren't you that murderer from the other day!

I know this is being played as a joke, but how many people in Japanifornia get accused of murder and have to deal with people saying stuff like this to them all the time?

Maybe that's why Phoenix can't get any work at the moment? :ohdear:

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I know this is being played as a joke, but how many people in Japanifornia get accused of murder and have to deal with people saying stuff like this to them all the time?

Only about 1%, judging by the conviction statistic. The other 99% have an entirely different problem to deal with, for a much shorter period of time.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Speaking of which, I think the game has already given us a pretty serious clue in the dialogue, but I don't know if I'm remembering correctly. I suppose hunting around some more will show whether that's right.

There's been a couple clues in the dialogue but the main one I remember is also one that they take a bit getting around to, which annoyed me to no end. It'll become a lot clearer when we see that photo evidence Gumshoe has.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

EponymousMrYar posted:

There's been a couple clues in the dialogue but the main one I remember is also one that they take a bit getting around to, which annoyed me to no end. It'll become a lot clearer when we see that photo evidence Gumshoe has.

I've definitely figured it out, but mainly because I've read a book that uses this same exact plot twist. In the book the character who figures it out spends like an entire page patiently filling in blanks so the other people listening can catch on and still has to just spell it out. It's not even really lateral thinking, it's very straightforward but it breaks a hole in the neat little box the assumptions you're making put everything in.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder if Powers ever actually showed his face at the studio. Was Wendy just ribbing him or did he actually stay in costume the entire time?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Glazius posted:

I wonder if Powers ever actually showed his face at the studio. Was Wendy just ribbing him or did he actually stay in costume the entire time?

I think it's pretty obvious that the photo is just going to be of someone in the Samurai costume.

Not that it'll matter to the police/court because WHO ELSE would wear that costume, huh?!

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Polaron posted:

Not that it'll matter to the police/court because WHO ELSE would wear that costume, huh?!

I imagine it'll take 6 different objections across 2 different witnesses just to get folks thinking that maybe it could have been someone else in the costume.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I'm going to be real with you here: if this case goes anything like that book I mentioned, the fourth of those objections is going to be the first time anyone involved even heard anyone say it was theoretically possible someone other than Powers could have been in the suit.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Mors Rattus posted:

There are...two ladders.

Actually, they're step-ladders.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Glazius posted:

Wendy has seen Powers outside of his costume.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I guess there's an alternative explanation for Maya's clothing than 'lol Japanifornia': she's a massive Weeaboo. :japan:

Does anyone have that fanart from the last thread where she's playing along with a broadcast of the Steel Samurai by waving a broom around, while Phoenix intently practices displaying his badge?

Actually all that art from last thread was amazing, it's the only thing this LP is missing.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Actually, they're step-ladders.

: So? What's the difference? You need to stop judging things based on narrow-minded cultural assumptions, Cook!

(I'm so sorry, I couldn't stop myself)

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Yvonmukluk posted:

Does anyone have that fanart from the last thread where she's playing along with a broadcast of the Steel Samurai by waving a broom around, while Phoenix intently practices displaying his badge?

HelloWinter posted:

And since someone mentioned the Great Sky Controversy: on a 2 x 2.5 inch DS screen, with the UI cutting off part of the top, the clouds and color contrast are a lot less obvious. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 3 - Turnabout Samurai
Investigation (Day 1) - Part 3

Why are we back here? Well, we have the Studio One keycard now.

: The entrance to Studio One. This is the studio where they found Jack Hammer's body.
: Let's go in and check it out, Nick!
: I wonder if this cardkey we borrowed from the dressing room will work...

: It opened!
: Alright! We're in!
: (She's way too happy for someone visiting a crime scene.)

: What is it?
: You're real quiet all of a sudden.
: Doesn't it give you the shivers, Nick?
: That white tape! It's so... so real!
: Well, the Evil Magistrate did die here. And the Steel Samurai killed him. The murder weapon was the Samurai Spear. Sounds pretty real to me...

Time to look around.

: Looks like a backdrop for a stage. This must be used in the Steel Samurai show.
: Of course! That's the mountain, Neo Fujiyama!
: Doesn't the Steel Samurai take place in Olde Tokyo? Can you even see Mt. Fuji from there?
: Not Olde Tokyo, Nick! "Neo" Olde Tokyo!
: Oh. Right.

: Wow, look at that camera! That must cost a ton!
: Yeah! So don't touch it!
: Whoa! It's heavier than I thought...

: Ah, um, sorry, my partner is kind of, y'know...
: "Y'know"!? No I don't know!
: Umm... who are you?
: Who me? I'm an assistant here. I help with props and stuff. Moving them aorund, ordering new ones, et cetera.
: We're lawyers representing Mr. Will Powers.
: Oh, you're WP's people.
: "WP"...? Oh, Will Powers. W.P., I get it.
: I don't envy you guys one bit! But... do what you can for WP, okay?

: Don't worry, leave it to us!

: They outlined where Jack Hammer's body lay with tape. His body was found still inside the Evil Magistrate costume. I guess that's why the head part looks like a helmet. Funny, I expected a spear stabbing would leave at least a few bloodstains. I guess the costume must have absorbed most of it...

: Look, a ladder!
: That's a "step"-ladder.
: So? What's the difference?
: You need to stop judging things based on narrow-minded cultural assumptions, Nick!
: R-right... sorry. (This girl is OUT there!)

: Hey! Look! That's the chair the director sits in! I've always wanted to sit in one of these.
: Hey Nick, take a look at that. One of those black-and-white boards they clap at the start of filming!
: And look! A megaphone! A real live megaphone!
: Ready, Nick? Action!
: (This girl is more troubled than I thought...)

: What's this?
: That's for reflecting light. They call it a reflecting screen or something like that. The assistant holds it during filming.
: Huh.
: What? Where's your enthusiasm for all things entertainment?
: Well, lighting is fine, but I'd want to be the director. Or maybe the Steel Samurai!
: (I think she's being serious...!)

Now, let's question that assistant.

: Could you tell me anything about the day of the murder?
: Yes. I was in the studio the whole day. I was the only assistant on staff that day, you see.
: Only one assistant?
: Yes, well, the studios aren't doing so well right now. And yesterday was only rehearsal for our action sequences.
: I see. Neat!

: WP and Hammer were there, along with everoyne else.
: The employee area--that's where Powers's dressing room is, right?
: Yes, that's the place.

: Then I saw WP go into his dressing room. But I didn't see either of them after that.

: Did you know that Mr. Powers was sleeping in his room?
: No! I wouldn't go in there unless I had some urgent message for him... I mean, it's his private... What kind of a girl do you think I am!?
: W-what kind...? No, no, I'm sure you're a fine girl. Um, sorry. (So much for getting a confirmation of Powers's alibi.)
: What do we do, Nick? We haven't found anything. If WP was the only one who came to the studio...
: Then he has to be the killer! They even have a photograph...
: Hmm...
: Umm... Sorry... I know you're busy.
: Not really.
: Actually, there's been something bothering me.
: Ah hah! That's what I'm talking about! A clue! A lead!

: Well, I don't know about that, but that day, just after noon, I sensed someone was here...
: You "sensed"?
: Yes, several times.
: Some other studio employees, maybe?
: No, I don't think so. The only thing we had scheduled was an action scene run-through. I was the only assistant here that day.
: I have a feeling it was someone from... outside.
: R-really!?
: But wait, if someone had come in here...
: Wouldn't that security lady have noticed them?
: Yeah, you're right.
: I'm sorry I don't have any better information than that.
: No, thanks! That helps us a lot. Anything helps.
: Let's go put that security lady on the spot!

: So you sensed that someone other than the regular film crew was in the studio?
: Yes... I think.
: ("I think" doesn't cut it in a witness testimony.)
: Nick! What about that security lady! If someone else came into the studio, she must have seen them!

And there's Penny's profile. As for our badge...

: Um, any thoughts about this?
: Sorry... I... don't really want to think too much about what happened just yet.

: What? You're still here?
: Really! You look as though you've seen a ghost!

: What? I saw that suspicious look on your face!
: I wanted to ask you again about yesterday... You came here at 1:00 PM, correct? And the estimated time of Hammer's death was 2:30. Are you sure that Powers was the only one to go through here between those times?
: Sure as can be!
: But we have a witness who thinks there was "someone from outside" here that day.
: What!?
: Are you absolutely sure you were here watching hte whole time?
: Ma'am?
: Who was it?
: Who told you that? Who dares question ME!?
: Eek!
: Alright you better tell me and tell me quick, you spiky-haired cretin! Someone's been complaining about the work I do, eh!?
: Uh... um, we were just talking to the assistant in Studio One.
: Her! She's not even a full-time employee!

: She left...
: Well, Nick?
: This is our chance to do what we can without her looking over our shoulders!

: The computer that runs the studio security cameras.
: Nick! Maybe we can see that photo of Powers with this computer!
: Yeah, maybe.

: Okay. Let's give it a try.
: You know how to work these things, Nick?
: Looks like I just have to enter in a few numbers. Let's see... first, I need the date of the murder. (It looks like the camera turned on at 1:00 PM that day... 1:00... That was when the security lady arrived at the guard station.)

Getting it wrong just has Maya and Phoenix talk about how they should go back and check the camera, not even a joke in there.

: There! Entered! ...

: Let's see what we got...

: ... Huh?
: How is this a picture of Will Powers?
: Well, he is the one who always wears that suit... I guess that's why the security lady thought it was him.
: I don't imagine the detective was very happy with this photo as evidence.

: Huh? [Oct 15, 2:00 PM, Photo #2]
: What does that mean?
: Maybe there's more photo data from that day?
: Nope--that's the only one in the computer.

: Hey, hey, Nick! Can't we use this photo as evidence for the trial?
: Yeah.
: We'll put that security lady in her place with this!
: Right, we'll put her in her place...

: Let's show her this photo and see what she says!
: Wait. Let's not.
: Why not?
: It's never a good idea to reveal your hand to the enemy too soon.
: Nick! You're craftier than I gave you credit for.
: Why, you could be the next... Evil Magistrate!
: Hey! Why do I have to be the villain.

That's not my typo.

: Relax, it was just a joke! So, are we done for today?

: Still, it'd be better if we had some idea who the real killer was! Maybe it realy is that security lady...?

Next time: Trial.

North Carolina Gen. Stat. Section 20-136 posted:

Section 20-136. Smoke screens.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person or persons to drive, operate, equip or be in the possession of any automobile or other motor vehicle containing, or in any manner provided with, a mechanical machine or device designed, used or capable of being used for the purpose of discharging, creating or causing, in any manner, to be discharged or emitted, either from itself or from the automobile or other motor vehicle to which attached, any unusual amount of smoke, gas or other substance not necessary to the actual propulsion, care and keep of said vehicle, and the possession by any person or persons of any such device, whether the same is attached to any such motor vehicle, or detached therefrom, shall be prima facie evidence of the guilt of such person or persons of a violation of this section.
(b) Any person or persons violating the provisions oif this section shall be guilty of a Class I felony.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 7, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

You put Phoenix's headshot where you should've put the picture of the step-ladder.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Unfortunately, that particular screenshot has gotten lost, and my recording of this section is being finicky. Will try to replace it later.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wonderslug posted:

The greatest art since DaVinci
:allears:

Please tell me you have the rest.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

You've got a duplicate screenshot in there, I think. When you're looking at the camera, you have the "Try it" "Leave it alone" choice in there twice.

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.

Mors Rattus posted:

: Yes. I was in the studio the hwole day. I was the only assistant on staff that day, you see.

Typo there.

Mors Rattus posted:

: Look, a ladder!
: That's a "step"-ladder.
: So? What's the difference?
: You need to stop judging things based on narrow-minded cultural assumptions, Nick!

It just never gets old.
:allears:

Zerbin7 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Okay, stuff should be fixed now.