Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I predict Pedro will die in the battle part of the arc giving Carrot her sad backstory/motivation to be a Strawhat

Oh poo poo, we're in the back story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I predict Pedro will die in the battle part of the arc giving Carrot her sad backstory/motivation to be a Strawhat

At this point everyone on Zou plus the elephant himself would have to die for her back story to be tragic enough. Don't be the jerk wishing for the deaths of all the Minkmen.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

IF Carrot became a Strawhat, and IF she got a devilfruit power, what would be the most appropriate Alice in Wonderland themed one? Sometime time-related to go with the always-late rabbit?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Bobulus posted:

IF Carrot became a Strawhat, and IF she got a devilfruit power, what would be the most appropriate Alice in Wonderland themed one? Sometime time-related to go with the always-late rabbit?

The filler devilfruit with the girl who can change size would have been perfect for Alice in Wonderland...

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

She gets the Door Door fruit, hinting once again that charecters have been murdered off screen

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
man pretty much every single chapter since the end of dressrosa has been really really good. since then i feel less like there is a lot of competing storylines which each are kinda eh on their own, to now where theres a multitude and i wish i could see more right away. weirdly the thing im most excited for is weevil, his design is both like completely funny but also a bit intimidating, i wanna see that power in action

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I'm secretly extremely psyched for Weevil. The way Kizaru talks about him, it implies they can't even stop him if they wanted to, so they may as well allow him to just kill hundreds of people hunting down Whitebeard's crew. A loving admiral is like, "Well, he's too strong. Have to just ally with him and hope for the best."

I was rereading that part last night and they really set him up to be stupidly strong, he's taking out most of the crews under WB's old banners with total ease, he doesn't have a scratch on him. And then he's set up to hunt down Luffy, but it's totally ambiguous where he is or how long it'll take him, leaving him as a total wild card. I bet he shows up right when this arc is at its absolute climax and just takes someone really strong out of the equation. Like I could totally see him stalling Kaido while Luffy deals with someone else. Or piling on to an already tense situation for the crew.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Advice posted:

Like I could totally see him stalling Kaido while Luffy deals with someone else. Or piling on to an already tense situation for the crew.

This could be a really interesting angle, actually. Luffy befriends Weevil and Weevil fights Kaido as the only one strong enough to go against him head to head.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Sanji rearranges his face to make him cool looking, and that backfires because he's even more powerful and likable now

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sinners Sandwich posted:

She gets the Door Door fruit, hinting once again that charecters have been murdered off screen

Who else was hinted at like this? If I recall correctly, the fruits of Dolfy's crew were similar to, but not the same as, the Baroque Works' fruits

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I will concede that Doffy crew's fruits were similar but not exact. It's just so weird because Oda did that on purpose, the design of the Exploding snot men are practically the same silhouette wise

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Weevil also has weird Frankenstein's monster stitching on his neck and arm, and along with his gentle oafish nature and the implied illegitimacy of his claims could point to him being "created" somewhere, though I don't understand who besides Vegapunk could make or alter someone and have then come out so freakishly strong.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Advice posted:

Weevil also has weird Frankenstein's monster stitching on his neck and arm, and along with his gentle oafish nature and the implied illegitimacy of his claims could point to him being "created" somewhere, though I don't understand who besides Vegapunk could make or alter someone and have then come out so freakishly strong.

The obvious answer would be Hogback.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I will concede that Doffy crew's fruits were similar but not exact. It's just so weird because Oda did that on purpose, the design of the Exploding snot men are practically the same silhouette wise

SBS Volume 79 posted:

D: About the powers from the Dressrosa Arc that Doflamingo's officers have... are they pretty much just improved versions of the abilities that the Baroque Works members had (so like Ton Ton → Kilo Kilo, Beta Beta → Doru Doru, Buki Buki → Supa Supa, and Pamu Pamu → Bomu Bomu)? from TaokaS43

O: It's true that "superior" devil fruit abilities are a thing, but as of now, it's pretty much just these four pairs.

(Ton Ton > Kilo Kilo, Hie Hie > Yuki Yuki, Magu Magu > Mera Mera, Buki Buki > Supa Supa)

Though there are other fruit pairs out there that might make you wonder don't they pretty much do the same thing?, these abilities tend to be headed in different directions in terms of how they actually work or what they can do. Also, a superior ability does not necessarily equate to the character's strength. No ability alone guarantees victory in combat.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah no poo poo the devil fruit doesn't equate to always winning, or else Sugar would be Pirate Queen.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah no poo poo the devil fruit doesn't equate to always winning, or else Bruno would be Pirate King.

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.
My pet theory is that weevil WAS created by hogback, and actually has Whitebeard's shadow, stolen by Moria who is still alive. As far as we know, we never established whether or not a shadow retained it's power after the owner of the shadow dies... or did we? I forget.

Gumbercules fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 5, 2016

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
No, if the shadow owner dies, the zombie de-animates. That's why Moria always doomed people to wander the mist after stealing their shadows, he couldn't get away with killing them.

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah no poo poo the devil fruit doesn't equate to always winning, or else Sugar would be Pirate Queen.

I understand the real reason is, "it would break the story, so don't think about it", but it's pretty weird that with an insane fruit like Hobi-Hobi at his disposal, Doflamingo just wanted to sit in Dresssrosa and collect cash from underground trading? Surely you could challenge any pirate crew on the planet with that insane loving thing.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Gumbercules posted:

My pet theory is that weevil WAS created by hogback, and actually has Whitebeard's shadow, stolen by Moria who is still alive. As far as we know, we never established whether or not a shadow retained it's power after the owner of the shadow dies... or did we? I forget.

You can't have a dead person's shadow.

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.
Well, there goes that theory! :saddowns:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Advice posted:

No, if the shadow owner dies, the zombie de-animates. That's why Moria always doomed people to wander the mist after stealing their shadows, he couldn't get away with killing them.

I understand the real reason is, "it would break the story, so don't think about it", but it's pretty weird that with an insane fruit like Hobi-Hobi at his disposal, Doflamingo just wanted to sit in Dresssrosa and collect cash from underground trading? Surely you could challenge any pirate crew on the planet with that insane loving thing.

Sugar is permanently stuck in the body of a kid, and one (un)lucky shot means that everyone they've screwed with in the past now comes for them.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Advice posted:

There are probably dozens of formidable soldiers and pirates that actually were taken out of commission with it, it's just that the nature of them being erased from everyone's memories kind of means we don't know the extent. poo poo, the whole colosseum was pretty much a honeypot for strong guys to be taken out.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Sugar is permanently stuck in the body of a kid, and one (un)lucky shot means that everyone they've screwed with in the past now comes for them.

Also Doffy still was banking on tracking down Law and getting the immortality surgery, it's just everything went to poo poo and by the time we got to the actual fights everything went pear shaped for him.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Of those four comparable fruits I always thought Buki Buki and Supa Supa didn't really match up. Buki Buki encompasses way more than just blades.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
If carrot got a devils fruit i don't think Oda could pass up the chance to give her the bunny bunny fruit.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Of those four comparable fruits I always thought Buki Buki and Supa Supa didn't really match up. Buki Buki encompasses way more than just blades.

That's part of what makes Buki Buki strictly better, I suppose.

Magu Magu being a better version of Mera Mera makes less sense, though, since you'd think being made of energy rather than matter would have some benefits.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Elfgames posted:

If carrot got a devils fruit i don't think Oda could pass up the chance to give her the bunny bunny fruit.

There has to be an SBS where someone asked the question of what would happen if a human ate the fruit Chopper has, or if any animal ate the zoan fruit corresponding to their species. Would they become super powerful? Would they explode?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shoren posted:

There has to be an SBS where someone asked the question of what would happen if a human ate the fruit Chopper has, or if any animal ate the zoan fruit corresponding to their species. Would they become super powerful? Would they explode?

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/SBS_Volume_20

quote:

D: WHAT HAPPENS IF A PERSON EATS A HITO HITO NO MI?[6]

O: I suppose I should say they "BECOME HUMAN". Uh, I guess you could say that means like becoming an adult, or finding your true spirit or something. So basically, people will live more human-like. Well. I guess you could say that. Or not. Basically, not. Goodbye. (runs away).

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Elfgames posted:

There's still the matter of how she changes trajectory in mid-air. That could be a fruit thing.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Shoren posted:

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

That's a specific model of Human fruit, though, not just the generic human fruit. Plus it's a Mythological Zoan anyways

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Now what would happen if, say, that horse ate the Buddha fruit?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

There's still the matter of how she changes trajectory in mid-air. That could be a fruit thing.

Sanji and CP9 can do that without fruits.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

It's funny because I'd always heard it misquoted as "they would become enlightened," when the actual quote amounts to "who knows?"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Silver2195 posted:

It's funny because I'd always heard it misquoted as "they would become enlightened," when the actual quote amounts to "who knows?"

except crocodile explicitly calls them awakened in the manga

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

anime was right posted:

except crocodile explicitly calls them awakened in the manga

No, I mean people said the Hito Hito would make you achieve spiritual enlightenment, based on a telephone-game-garbled version of the SBS quote. It has nothing to do with Awakened Zoans.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Don't zoans give you a general physical ability buff irrespective of your sick-nasty powers?

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Yeah, IIRC zoan fruits make you physically stronger, and predator-type ones make you more aggressive. But that might have been a rumor.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Advice posted:

Yeah, IIRC zoan fruits make you physically stronger, and predator-type ones make you more aggressive. But that might have been a rumor.

I thought it was all zoan fruits make your "human" form stronger than before and predator fruits in general make your "human" form stronger than non-predator fruits. Presumably fruits like elephant or another animal known for it's strength would also give you a larger strength increase than, say, the glass boned feeble species of squirrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Gyges posted:

I thought it was all zoan fruits make your "human" form stronger than before and predator fruits in general make your "human" form stronger than non-predator fruits. Presumably fruits like elephant or another animal known for it's strength would also give you a larger strength increase than, say, the glass boned feeble species of squirrel.

A squirrel Zoan fruit would probably make you a lot quicker and agile.