Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Zachack posted:

I think Hickman's overall output has improved quite a bit, although I've heard Manhattan Projects has gone downhill.

I dunno who's been saying that. The problem's been frequency, not quality.

For Soule, I think he was WAY stronger in his period working for both companies a couple of years ago.
e: Maybe WAY is a bit much. Letter 44 and Inhumans are still good, but Daredevil and Star Wars comics sure haven't grabed me like She-Hulk, Red Lanterns and Swamp Thing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006
Mark Millar's early work, when he wrote for 2000 AD, was horrible. I can't imagine anybody liking that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I was going to say Hickman as well. I like his current stuff much more than his earlier work at Image, which wasn't even that long ago, but I'm struggling to come up with a better example.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I remember asking this on Twitter ages ago, but I phrased it as who (if anyone) has put out good superhero comics when they were over the age of 50. My conspiracy theory was basically that Jack Kirby was the only person to really have a huge (writing, superhero) body of good work after they hit fifty, and a bunch of popular writers were hitting it at the time. I think artists are probably a different matter, but here's a list of people I remember being brought up, and some that were in the process of turning fifty at the time.

Some of the answers I received and the year they turned fifty:

Jack Kirby (1967)
Stan Lee (1972)
Joe Kubert (1976)
Steve Ditko (1977)
Denny O'Neil (1989)
Roy Thomas (1990)
Marv Wolfman (1996)
Steve Englehart (1997)
Steve Gerber (1997)
Len Wein (1998)
Jim Starlin (1999)
John Ostrander (1999)
Chris Claremont (2000)
John Byrne (2000)
Roger Stern (2000)
Keith GIffen (2002)
Alan Moore (2003)
J. Michael Stracynzski (2004)
Peter David (2006)
Paul Levitz (2006)
Frank Miller (2007)

Out of that list, I'd say Kirby and Giffen are the only ones to put out superhero books that could conceivably be put into their Top Tier after they turned fifty: Kirby still had 3-4 years of Thor & FF before he jumped over to do New Gods, all of which is pretty top notch. Giffen isn't Kirby, but since 2002 he did a number of solid JLI returns, helped out on the relaunch of Blue Beetle (and 52), had a super fun (if self-indulgent) run on Doom Patrol, and has generally not fallen off of the cliff that many of the people above did in their 40s and 50s.

Alan Moore is a curious case, since he hasn't really worked in "superhero" comics since turning fifty. There are plenty of... cartoonists, graphic novelists, etc. who have done really good work after the age of 50, though ABC bled past his fiftieth birthday.

People who have since turned 50
Grant Morrison (2010)
Kurt Busiek (2010)
Neil Gaiman (2010)
Mark Waid (2012)
James Robinson (2013)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well I'd say for sure Waid on Busiek on that new list. And personally I'd add Peter David and Jim Starlin from the old list. But those two are personal picks and probably not representative of the majority opinion.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
J. Michael Stracynzski was still writing a ton of stuff for Marvel after 50, some of it pretty good.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I've never liked JMS and I think PAD and Starlin can be hit or miss. I had to look it up, but David was just in the middle of relaunching X-Factor when he turned 50, and the first 2-3 years of that probably qualify as some of his best superhero work. It fell off a crazy cliff and turned into Bad Peter David for me not too long after that, and to be honest I haven't really read anything else he's done in the past decade.

As for Jim Starlin... what do you think he's done post-1999 that stands up to his work from (let's say) Warlock to Infinity Gauntlet? I kept giving him shots (and they were by no means awful) through The End and all of that weird cosmic DC stuff and Infinity Abyss and the Thanos solo series and it really just seemed like convoluted restatements of stuff he'd already done multiple times. I realize this is probably an argument against something like Giffen's Doom Patrol too, seeing as half of the fun of it was him trying to reconcile New Earth with Morrison's Doom Patrol and Ambush Bug and JLI and Silver Age Doom Patrol and etc. etc. etc. It makes sense that "people you have a soft spot for at their peak are still endearing in their decline." The inverse is true too, given the number of people reading old Claremont and Miller today going "OH I SEE THEY WERE lovely PERVERTS/MISOGYNISTS THE WHOLE TIME"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I didn't really care for Infinity Abyss, but I really like The End and the Thanos solo series that he and Giffen each wrote half of. And I love what he's done with Thanos in the last couple years. I think it's a good captsone to his work on the character over the years. As for David, I really love his Spider-Man 2099 and the recent X-Factor he wrote was really good. In fact David's work on X-Factor over the years I think is the only consistently enjoyable X-Men stuff I've read.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I am tempted to note Ostrander, but that's no doubt because I really, really like basically all the Star Wars stuff he did at Dark Horse after 1999.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Greg Capullo

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Little Mac posted:

Greg Capullo

Reading his old X-Men era stuff I will agree with this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Brubaker's X-men was horrendous, so maybe he counts.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe X-Men just ruins writers.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Blackagar did nothing wrong.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I'm a huge Peter David fan, but I think he's fallen off albeit not as bad as everyone else. I did enjoy All New X-Factor more than the end of regular X-Factor, but his current Spider-Man 2099 doesn't compare to the original.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
Azzarello turned 50 in 2013. His WW was fantastic.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Holy moley! $.99 per pound cherrystone clams! You get three per pound and they are usually $3.99 per pound. Nice deal!

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Heathen posted:

I'm a huge Peter David fan, but I think he's fallen off albeit not as bad as everyone else. I did enjoy All New X-Factor more than the end of regular X-Factor, but his current Spider-Man 2099 doesn't compare to the original.

Yeah, while All-New X-Factor sold terribly, it was my first introduction to Peter David's work and I really enjoyed it. Afterwards I went back and read X-Factors Volume 1 and 2 and liked them too. But Spider-Man 2099 I just haven't seen that same spark I saw in his X-Factors.

I'd say David doesn't belong on either list, and he's just a good writer with a current book that doesn't hold up to their past stuff, from what we've seen so far.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I am tempted to note Ostrander, but that's no doubt because I really, really like basically all the Star Wars stuff he did at Dark Horse after 1999.

You like them because they are cool and good so it's okay

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Blackagar did nothing wrong.

Eliminating the X-men has always been a noble cause.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 6, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Holy moley! $.99 per pound cherrystone clams! You get three per pound and they are usually $3.99 per pound. Nice deal!

Post some bivalve recipes itt.

Except oysters, because if you're cooking them, your wrong.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
In PAD's defence, the man had a loving stroke.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

In PAD's defence, the man had a loving stroke.

He had a stroke near the end of X-Factor. After the stroke he did All New X-Factor which is the best thing he's written in awhile. The stroke made it physically harder for him to write but it hasn't diminished his mind.

His current Spider-Man 2099 feels aimless. It exists just to exist. I'd love it if he got a run on proper Spider-Man and another X book full of C-listers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He had a run on Spider-man, it was surprisingly bad.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Yeah, a new X-Factor book these days would be amazing. It sucks the Polaris/Quicksilver stuff probably will never get developed/picked up again now that that they're not not half-siblings anymore but the X-Men need a good team book and none of the characters from X-Factor (save for Quicksilver) are up to anything.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

what the--

Remember the old pack-in comics from He-Man toys? Bruce Timm did the pencils on those. He was also a character designer for She-Ra. I had no goddamn idea before now.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Paul Dini was a regular writer on the series as well. The world of kids cartoons has always been a pretty tight network.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Squizzle posted:

what the--

Remember the old pack-in comics from He-Man toys? Bruce Timm did the pencils on those. He was also a character designer for She-Ra. I had no goddamn idea before now.
Remember? I still have all of mine.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Stan Sakai lettered a bunch of them, too. :wtc:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Squizzle posted:

what the--

JMS was either a showrunner or a story editor for She-Ra. One of his first jobs in TV, apparently.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JMS did probably some of the best work in his career on the old Ghostbusters cartoon.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Peter David was the showrunner fir the Nick scifi show Space Cases.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Squizzle posted:

Post some bivalve recipes itt.

Except oysters, because if you're cooking them, your wrong.

Those clams were just steamed with a bit of white wine. I'm adding them to saag aloo which we cooked the day before.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DrProsek posted:

Yeah, a new X-Factor book these days would be amazing. It sucks the Polaris/Quicksilver stuff probably will never get developed/picked up again now that that they're not not half-siblings anymore but the X-Men need a good team book and none of the characters from X-Factor (save for Quicksilver) are up to anything.

So is Polaris still Magneto's real daughter?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

X-O posted:

JMS did probably some of the best work in his career on the old Ghostbusters cartoon.

Yeah, my brother and I LOVED The Real Ghostbusters back in the day, and I always thought the writing was far beyond any other '80s cartoons. Then I found out JMS wrote over a third of all the episodes, and Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis each wrote one or two as well. I was even a JLI fan as a kid in the late '80s when the cartoon was actually on, so it would have blown my little mind if I realized that at the time.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

So is Polaris still Magneto's real daughter?

As of Bunn's Magneto solo series, yeah, she's still his daughter.

(Also I just realized that I was wrong when I said Quicksilver was the only X-Factor member who had a book: Monet is also busy but I'd easily take Uncanny X-Men losing her for a hypothetical X-Facor book. UXM's art is atrocious and there is no way for the writing to save it)

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Amazon has some Marvel kindle books on sale today. Any recommendations on which ones would be good if I haven't consistently read any series for like 10 years?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

He had a run on Spider-man, it was surprisingly bad.

I feel like he barely got a shot to actually write it, though, since it was just one crossover after another until it was canned for Brand New Day.

EDIT:

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Amazon has some Marvel kindle books on sale today. Any recommendations on which ones would be good if I haven't consistently read any series for like 10 years?
The only thing from there I'd actually recommend is the Captain America: Civil War book, but it starts 22 issues into the run, which really should be read from the beginning.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 6, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

I feel like he barely got a shot to actually write it, though, since it was just one crossover after another until it was canned for Brand New Day.

EDIT:

The only thing from there I'd actually recommend is the Captain America: Civil War book, but it starts 22 issues into the run, which really should be read from the beginning.

nevermind it's over

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the info! I'll grab the Captain America and maybe get the rest if I like this one.

• Locked thread