Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Alehkhs posted:

A couple of the YouTube clips I've seen from people who were at the reveal and got a behind-the-scenes look at gameplay have said it's a needle.

Adrenaline shot maybe? Were those a thing in WWI? Though obviously not for reviving from bullet holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Got my 510th SCAR-H kill to unlock the last battlepack... 4x 25% boosts. :dice:

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
There's always the possibility that medics will get no revive capability in this new game.

Kibayasu posted:

Random thought, but after using the AS VAL for a while apparently I didn't realize how often I need those 9-10 extra bullets until I don't have them.
That's the price you pay for having the highest DPS under ten meters in the game, aside from one hit kills.

xyigx posted:

I want a all bfbc map pack but I realize those maps are probably poo poo in retrospect. Or would be broken as gently caress due to the faster TTK paired with the general accuracy increase in all the weapons.

I feel like Bad Company and Bad Company 2 maps wouldn't translate well into BF4, mainly cause they were designed with some very different gameplay limitations in mind. Namely the fact that you couldn't go prone in those games, playercounts were smaller, and that vehicles like the Bradley seemed to have a very a specific turret depression angle that in combination with the terrain made them more vulnerable to infantry.

At least it seems like the BC2 Bradley has less turret depression and maneuverability than the BF4 LAVs.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 8, 2016

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Kibayasu posted:

Random thought, but after using the AS VAL for a while apparently I didn't realize how often I need those 9-10 extra bullets until I don't have them.

The Groza-4 is arguably harder to manage because it's significantly slower to reload.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Adrenaline shot maybe? Were those a thing in WWI? Though obviously not for reviving from bullet holes.

Shake off those bullet holes! Have some drugs, now get up!!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Public beta sign up.

http://www.battlefield.com/community/insider

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh man, actually pretty excited to lose at the "Ghost Dad Challenge" six years later after BFBC2.

Which one was that again? The M1A1 Garand?
:page3:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The only thing I don't like about my avatar is that it didn't come with my WookWook tags. Captain Internet misses those days.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
If Battlefield 1 doesn't have a SUAV analogue in the form of pigeons, i'm not buying it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Node posted:

The only thing I don't like about my avatar is that it didn't come with my WookWook tags. Captain Internet misses those days.

code:
WOOK WOOK

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 9, 2016

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Oh man, actually pretty excited to lose at the "Ghost Dad Challenge" six years later after BFBC2.

Which one was that again? The M1A1 Garand?
:page3:

M1A1 Thompson.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Kibayasu posted:

You're going to get an orange needle. Fully charging it turns it green. At level 4 you'll unlock the red needle Adrenaline which you hit yourself with. It'll be great.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
How the gently caress do you control the hover tank? Either the mouse doesn't move it at all, or it moves too fast. I haven't touched mouse sensitivity.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Hover tank aiming is hosed by design, you have to use mostly strafing and very minor mouse adjustments to aim, with the benefit of being able to easily juke incoming shells and plow over infantry.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Node posted:

How the gently caress do you control the hover tank? Either the mouse doesn't move it at all, or it moves too fast. I haven't touched mouse sensitivity.

Treat it like you're a soldier on ice; I loving love the hover tank so much.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Wasabi the J posted:

Treat it like you're a soldier on ice; I loving love the hover tank so much.

It just doesn't make sense. I'd have sex with the hover tank from 2142 if I could, having played it so much. But with this one, if I try to turn fast, it responds in a way I would expect it to. But if I am trying to aim at something mid distance, be it a soldier or a vehicle, it is incredibly stiff and it's like my mouse sensitivity went to 0.001. I can't kill anything. I would love to love it but I can't since all I can hit are hills and mountains.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I do believe people claimed hovertank was OP so they nerfed it's movement controls. Launch hovertank could duel LAVs and tanks and skip away unharmed.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Anyone know how much more damage it takes to get mobility hit/mobility killed in a LAV and a MBT with Reactive Armor?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Artificer posted:

Anyone know how much more damage it takes to get mobility hit/mobility killed in a LAV and a MBT with Reactive Armor?

10. Without reactive armor you'll get a mobility hit at 29 damage in a single hit, so 39 with. This also applies to rear hits (39 to 49 I think) on MBT's (LAV's don't have a rear armor weakness but will still take a mobility kill if they take that much) but I think even the SMAW does 50 damage for a perfect rear hit so it doesn't help there.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Tasoth posted:

I do believe people claimed hovertank was OP so they nerfed it's movement controls. Launch hovertank could duel LAVs and tanks and skip away unharmed.

And given how rare they are, that seems perfectly reasonable to me. No worse than a gunship, at any rate.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Which map and where does the Rorsch Mk. 1 spawn?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Kibayasu posted:

10. Without reactive armor you'll get a mobility hit at 29 damage in a single hit, so 39 with. This also applies to rear hits (39 to 49 I think) on MBT's (LAV's don't have a rear armor weakness but will still take a mobility kill if they take that much) but I think even the SMAW does 50 damage for a perfect rear hit so it doesn't help there.

Wait. Do LAVs not have side/rear armor weakness?

Hmmm. I wonder how much reactive armor actually helps? Javelins and lased missiles and such seem to always go for top armor which always incapacitates me in a LAV. I think RPG side shots incapacitate a LAV too.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
IFVs get the most benefit from Reactive Armor because of how easy they are to disable normally; It forces your opponents to hit your IFV at a much harder to achieve angle if they want to disable it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Just got five Old Cannon kills in one round. Best weapon in the game, or greatest weapon in the game?

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Artificer posted:

Hmmm. I wonder how much reactive armor actually helps? Javelins and lased missiles and such seem to always go for top armor which always incapacitates me in a LAV. I think RPG side shots incapacitate a LAV too.

Reactive is super good on LAV's you get hit and bounce back into cover to repair. On a duo using laser guided and tows it basicly means you never die unless you overextend and even then it's harder to kill you than people expect since you never really lose your mobility.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Artificer posted:

LAV's only have the "side" armor weakness, even in their rear. Only MBT's take the 50+ damage from behind. A perfect side shot with an RPG will hurt mobility on an LAV but I don't think they can ever be completely stopped short of a perfect AP shell from tanks, maybe.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Node posted:

All the Final Stand maps. Here are the locations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOxikUeKgJo

EDIT: better video

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Node posted:

If you are trying to get that Assignment, here's some tips:

When you pull the trigger, the railgun charges up for a few moments then fires. No partial charging, no holding charge, it just goes.
It kills infantry in one hit, and has an absurd 3600 m/s projectile velocity and no bullet drop that makes it almost but not quite act like a hitscan weapon. Long range shots still need a tiny bit of lead.
Once you fire, pretty much everyone paying attention will know where you are since it leaves a giant bullet trail, in addition to being super loud.
If you want to get vehicle kills, shoot equipment like spawn beacons and MAVs instead of trying to kill actual vehicles. It CAN damage vehicles, and you might get a lucky kill on a jet or chopper that's already damaged, but other than that it is not worth the effort. Though I am pretty sure it disables jets in one hit, so shooting at one that's flying at a steep angle towards the ground will work.
Don't try to CQC with it when someone jumps you, just toss it and use another gun. If you're quick about it you can pick it back up afterwards.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

In all my time playing this video has the only time I've ever C4'd Cronojam while he's in the MAA. That's what he gets for relying on his teammates.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
whoops, wrong thread, I guess.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 14, 2016

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Lazyfire posted:

In all my time playing this video has the only time I've ever C4'd Cronojam while he's in the MAA. That's what he gets for relying on his teammates.

I'm not sure if I've ever C4'd Chronojam but I know I've mine/SLAM jihaded him before.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the only maa's i hate are the ones who can aim in third person so i can basically never c4 them

c4'ing that 55-0 maa tank apc w/e is a feeling that cannot be gained from anything else

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

All the Final Stand maps. Here are the locations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOxikUeKgJo

EDIT: better video

That explains it, it doesn't have the weapon pickup icon that the other ones do. Unless it does, I can't tell from that video. But thanks.

Concordat posted:

If you are trying to get that Assignment, here's some tips:

When you pull the trigger, the railgun charges up for a few moments then fires. No partial charging, no holding charge, it just goes.
It kills infantry in one hit, and has an absurd 3600 m/s projectile velocity and no bullet drop that makes it almost but not quite act like a hitscan weapon. Long range shots still need a tiny bit of lead.
Once you fire, pretty much everyone paying attention will know where you are since it leaves a giant bullet trail, in addition to being super loud.
If you want to get vehicle kills, shoot equipment like spawn beacons and MAVs instead of trying to kill actual vehicles. It CAN damage vehicles, and you might get a lucky kill on a jet or chopper that's already damaged, but other than that it is not worth the effort. Though I am pretty sure it disables jets in one hit, so shooting at one that's flying at a steep angle towards the ground will work.
Don't try to CQC with it when someone jumps you, just toss it and use another gun. If you're quick about it you can pick it back up afterwards.

Thanks you too.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Concordat posted:

I did the assignment, and it was a pain. No cheese here, buddy. My tip for doing the assignment legit: Operation Hammerhead, RU side, recon class, carbine (for the people who come to kill you from US spawn). Beacon down in the hills behind A. Grab the railgun from the bridge, and go back up into the hills. Watch the vehicle battles around A - there are usually quite a few. When you see an enemy vehicle in trouble, try to get the final shot in. Don't bother wasting shots on infantry, you'll just get them coming to hunt you down.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I did the assignment, and it was a pain. No cheese here, buddy. My tip for doing the assignment legit: Operation Hammerhead, RU side, recon class, carbine (for the people who come to kill you from US spawn). Beacon down in the hills behind A. Grab the railgun from the bridge, and go back up into the hills. Watch the vehicle battles around A - there are usually quite a few. When you see an enemy vehicle in trouble, try to get the final shot in. Don't bother wasting shots on infantry, you'll just get them coming to hunt you down.

Speaking of pain in the rear end assignments, the one that requires an AA mine kill. I've tried carrying a stinger, firing it, and quickly switching to the mine and dropping it so many times. Even when I think someone else has damaged it, I haven't gotten a single kill from that thing.

And of course the UCAV. I wish there was a way for me to get it :saddowns:.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Node posted:

Speaking of pain in the rear end assignments, the one that requires an AA mine kill. I've tried carrying a stinger, firing it, and quickly switching to the mine and dropping it so many times. Even when I think someone else has damaged it, I haven't gotten a single kill from that thing.

And of course the UCAV. I wish there was a way for me to get it :saddowns:.

When I finally got mine, the LB pilot said he didn't know AA mines were in the game--says a lot about their effectiveness.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Contingency posted:

When I finally got mine, the LB pilot said he didn't know AA mines were in the game--says a lot about their effectiveness.

They were amazing for a time. When they first came out you had two of them and they had 2 shots each. There was also a glitch where if you picked one up that had only fired one shot you could put it back down and it would have 2 shots again. Paired up with a ridiculous range of 150m they were so strong that they banned you from having a launcher and them equipped at the same time and cut you to one with one shot.

They were "fixed" by dice LA in the patch that also "fixed" the wombo combo on the sraw, igla and javelin. It was a sad day for battlefield.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

xyigx posted:

They were amazing for a time. When they first came out you had two of them and they had 2 shots each. There was also a glitch where if you picked one up that had only fired one shot you could put it back down and it would have 2 shots again. Paired up with a ridiculous range of 150m they were so strong that they banned you from having a launcher and them equipped at the same time and cut you to one with one shot.

They were "fixed" by dice LA in the patch that also "fixed" the wombo combo on the sraw, igla and javelin. It was a sad day for battlefield.

Are these the same guys that fixed the UCAV, firing rockets out of vehicles, and SRAW flight maneuverability? The game seems to be balanced against whatever can kill LBs.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Node posted:

I did it on Paracel Storm. Put AA mine down on one side of island, go to other side with Stinger. When heli is between you and AA mines, fire stinger. The heli will hopefully blow flares and to get away from you, pull away over your AA mine. You just need to keep at it until you get one that has been previously damaged enough. Trying to do it yourself with Stinger and AA mine is not that effective.

It might be that they have less range now, though, so you might try Shanghai rooftops to do a similar thing. It's just trickier to get up there consistently and to put distance between yourself and your mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

verbal enema posted:

the only maa's i hate are the ones who can aim in third person so i can basically never c4 them

c4'ing that 55-0 maa tank apc w/e is a feeling that cannot be gained from anything else

A good AA pilot doesn't necessarily need 3rd person to prevent a c4/mine kill. Prox actually detects c4 as it is thrown and mines on vehicles as they close with you. It's one of the secrets of Chronojam's success.

• Locked thread