Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pointy
Feb 12, 2003

hello old friend

Wafflz posted:

I wonder how much Agency Oasis gets paid compared to Sandi. The guerilla marketer professional shill is so much better at PR than the best and most educated business woman in the world since she was a little girl.

Sandi and crobbers reportedly command some of the highest salaries in the game industry. And they deserve to be comfortable. Don't worry, the backers will never know.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Like they would ever let Sandi have access to the financials. Much like Ben she can't be trusted with anything of consequence.

I bet she accesses a good deal of financials bi monthly.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Oh my that ABH post is so close to "keep doing what you're doing"

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

SomethingJones posted:

INN Transcripts vs Real Life!

10 FOR THE CHAIRMAN: EPISODE 78 MAR 7 2016
http://archive.is/fi7bI

Q: What are the plans to make future patches smaller and more efficient?

INN Transcript:
WORK HAS STARTED on a patching system that will only download exactly the files you need.

What was actually said:
So yes absolutely we have a PLAN in fact I sat down earlier this week ... but yeah I THINK we have a really cool PLAN.

Q: How important is positioning relative to an opponent’s in Star Citizen’s flight model, and is it affected by 6DOF?

INN Transcript:
Positioning is always important in Star Citizen which implements pilot skill and ship characteristics.

What was actually said:
Getting BEHIND someone, or in their BLIND SIDE is a bit of an advantage.

Question according to INN:
Are you seeking guidance from people in the field when it comes to designing planets and procedural tech?

Question as it was actually asked:
You've talked about consulting linguists for alien languages, are you talking to exobiologists, exoplanetologists and exo-climatologists for direction and help in designing the ecosystems and climates of alien planets?

Answer according to INN
They CONSULT with people at UCLA when they have an idea in mind about a certain kind of planet and CONSULT about where it would be most fitting to go , then they add in factors like in game lore and gameplay before deciding on a planet’s location. There will be a small amount of things like an ‘ice planet’ and a ‘jungle planet’ mixed with a combination of real life science.

What was actually said:
We have done a certain amount of working with a local school here in LA, so at UCLA we've been dealing with some sort of astrophysicists in terms of laying out our star systems and what kind of planets will be what distance from the stars. You know very much in Star Wars they sort of focus the planets to sort of feel like it's a TYPE it's a JUNGLE or it's an ICE PLANET or it's a DESERT PLANET.

10 FOR THE CHAIRMAN: EPISODE 75 JAN 25 2016
http://archive.is/wqUeN

Q: Thoughts on where CIG will go after Star Citizen is finished? Will you develop additional content?

Answer according to INN
CIG will continue to produce features, content, functionality improvements, and new singleplayer campaigns for Star Citizen for the foreseeable future. (i.e. World of Warcraft, EVE Online)

What was actually said:
We'll have what will sort of determine a sort of... MINIMUM VIABLE PRODUCT FEATURE LIST for what you would call Star Citizen the commerical release, which is basically when you say, "OK, we've gotten to this point and we've still got PLANS to add a lot more cool stuff and more content and more functionality and more features"

10 FOR THE CHAIRMAN: EPISODE 83 APR 18 2016
http://archive.is/S4JpH

Q: Whenever I lose my guns in space will I have to buy new ones?

Answer according to INN
Generally if you damage your ship when you are flying it you will have to pay to get it repaired. Depending on the type of insurance you have it may pay for the ship and/or custom components. However there will be penalties for making repeated claims to prevent people abusing it: premiums increase, replacements take longer, there is extra scrutiny, etc. An advantage of having an Alpha phase is we get to find a nice balance for this with your help.

What was actually said:
I'm not stupid enough to say... "it's DEFINITELY gonna work EXACTLY this way", cos... you know... you've gotta get it out there LIVE and play around. Hopefully with all you guy's help and playing it we'll come up with something that is like a really nice balance.

jfc, especially at the gloss-over of the minimum viable product quote.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

orcinus posted:

Wtf the actual gameplay graphics look like HL2.

Pretty cool 15 hour long opening cutscene though.

Bet Crobblers will love it.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

i hgate her so much!!!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

moveable shape posted:

I liked it too, we need more of this perspective. It's very interesting to see studios who succeed by making games not selling snake oil. I'd love to see a side by side of some diaries or videos

:waycool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI-KCEqWNSE
Blorg and Friends

Paradox Interactive
Camera is set on 2 people. One is a stream coordinator (And for this post's purpose, Community Manager) and the other is an AI programmer.

The chemistry between the two hosts is good, and the premise is strong. We (the watchers) are part of a Fungal-based civilization trying to expand in the universe of Stellaris. The AI programmer talks about game mechanics at length, while the SC (Stream Coordinator) is somewhat of a fish out of water character. Jokes abound, questions answered, and the prop(s) aren't about a 20 year old game.

The audio isn't hosed, the video is good quality, and the overall production quality is good to great (depending on your own preferences). The stream does not drag on and bugs are minor.

Watching this stream gives me a pretty big boost of confidence in the progress that PI is making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXHC1elPGeo
Literally a reverse the verse I youtube searched and pulled out of my rear end because they are all the same

Cloud Imperium Games
Video opens up with "Soon"™ which I can only assume is related to the release of Star Marine. Immediately, the audio is hosed and constantly clips which is loving annoying to listen to. Something about Jump Point articles not being on time or whatever.

TOAST!

TOAST!

TOAST IS IN THE BACKGROUND. And he's not doing a single loving thing!

Boy, its great to see a multi-million dollar company with a lovely video setup that clips off half of one of your CS managers and features pointless background attendees!

Now, I'll be honest, I'm not watching 59 minutes of these assholes game developers because its insulting to my intelligence (or what little I may have) and, frankly, even supporters of this game should be pissed off at them.

No clips of Star Citizen. None. Admittedly, I skipped through a lot. I got to see a goblin on a website, I got to see Toast in the background, I got to see Money in the background, I got to see reddit stuff. No. Game.

Why? There's not even a picture-in-picture that shows the poo poo they are talking about, something which could be done in post quite easily. I guess you might end up blocking one of the hosts because they are 2 feet from the camera? :shrug:

All in all this video is poo poo, shows off absolutely nothing that they are producing, answers some vague questions about in-game assets - and they are vague, because CIGs track record on successfully delivering products as advertised is abysmal.

I'd probably forgive them if it was a one-off or if they had a really good excuse, but this is standard quality poo poo we're looking at. There's nothing special about this, or most of RtV episodes (unless you count media powerhouse Sandi Gardiner). If this was the standard for a company I'd pre-ordered from, I'd be getting a refund as soon as loving possible.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
So no Character Generation?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Part two!

10 FOR DEVELOPERS: EPISODE 08 MAY 02 2016
http://archive.is/SSIFS

Q: Will planets have multiple biomes? Will flora and fauna be high fidelity?

INN transcript:
Yes and yes. They hope to one day even have full weather systems for planets. Flora and fauna will be high fidelity because they’re made by the art team before placed.

What was actually said:
There's NO REASON why we can't do this. WEATHER REGIONS is a bit of a DIFFERENT STORY.
These are the things we're thinking about
Moving weather and things like that on it? That's a problem that we're not yet ready to SOLVE
VOLUMETRIC CLOUDS and all this sort of STUFF ... to have MOVING WEATHER PATTERNS and things like that within the planets? That'll be something for another time I think.
How do we keep THAT FIDELITY for a planet that's COVERED IN AN ENTIRE CITY, that's a lot trickier.

Q: Will mined out locations be depletable, and will the minerals regenerate?

INN transcript:
Mining won’t alter geometry, but an object on the planet. If they do regenerate, they might not look the same or be in the same area.

What was actually said:
Well it's... it's a DESIGN QUESTION it's really gonna be up to the designers, there's no TECHNICAL reason why it can't
You know, it's kind of a long answer to whether it regenerates or not... I would say NO IT DOESN'T ACTUALLY REGENERATE

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Yes Annabelle, your standards are really low, look at who you're working for.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Eldragon posted:

CIG claims that each studio is working on its own branch. Which is arguably worse than what you're describing. At least having people working 24/7 on the same branch you'll notice when someone totally fucks up the build.

They'll notice this way too.
When they do the daily weekly monthly bimonthly quarterly yearly merge.

At which point they just ditch a whole Star Marine branch.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If you ever see my arguing about video games at 8.08am just shoot me please

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am going to buy the Oldman doodle

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

be sure to put it up on Youtube

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
has anyone pointed out that this game is poo poo

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

A Neurotic Jew posted:

:eyepop:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I didn't want to say anything if nobody else did...

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

Please go full howtobasic and jump cut to you throwing eggs and a chicken breast at it in the middle of a gameplay video.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am not paying more than $100 for it

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nEvZKvZ7OM

:colbert:

also

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/issue-council/star-citizen-alpha/SC-18565-Infinite_Afterburner_speed_all_ships_

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

This news is sickening and heartbreaking.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

This news is sickening and heartbreaking.

We need invigilation teams.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Near the end of this video I was thinking OH GOD NO DON'T TOUCH IT

I have been there many times

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
do you think people will be bored of space by the time squadron 42 comes out. I mean it's a craze now, but once we're up to here in space fps, spaceship sims, space strategy, space walking sims, space horror, space visual novels etc. could we be reaching peak space?

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

SomethingJones posted:

Ha! They really are just the propaganda wing of Cloud Imperium Games.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ShredsYouSay posted:

do you think people will be bored of space by the time squadron 42 comes out. I mean it's a craze now, but once we're up to here in space fps, spaceship sims, space strategy, space walking sims, space horror, space visual novels etc. could we be reaching peak space?

by the time it comes out people will be bored of space because we will already have actual spaceships by that point.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Derek Smart, Ph.D.
Designer/Lead Developer
Battlecruiser:3000AD
UIN : 158435

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

peter gabriel posted:

Star citizen is the Benjamin Button of games

true thread title tbh

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

"MisterMaa" posted:

in my eyes it is just very low priority. they should make the Basics of the game, not cosmetics

Yeah, like not making clothing shops when they don't even have a game.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

INN is the new Reich Minister of Propaganda

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Wolf Goebbels is the voice of the Parple

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

SomethingJones posted:

10 FOR THE CHAIRMAN: EPISODE 78 MAR 7 2016
http://archive.is/fi7bI

Q: What are the plans to make future patches smaller and more efficient?

INN Transcript:
WORK HAS STARTED on a patching system that will only download exactly the files you need.

What was actually said:
So yes absolutely we have a PLAN in fact I sat down earlier this week ... but yeah I THINK we have a really cool PLAN.

Q: How important is positioning relative to an opponent’s in Star Citizen’s flight model, and is it affected by 6DOF?

INN Transcript:
Positioning is always important in Star Citizen which implements pilot skill and ship characteristics.

What was actually said:
Getting BEHIND someone, or in their BLIND SIDE is a bit of an advantage.

Question according to INN:
Are you seeking guidance from people in the field when it comes to designing planets and procedural tech?

Question as it was actually asked:
You've talked about consulting linguists for alien languages, are you talking to exobiologists, exoplanetologists and exo-climatologists for direction and help in designing the ecosystems and climates of alien planets?

Answer according to INN
They CONSULT with people at UCLA when they have an idea in mind about a certain kind of planet and CONSULT about where it would be most fitting to go , then they add in factors like in game lore and gameplay before deciding on a planet’s location. There will be a small amount of things like an ‘ice planet’ and a ‘jungle planet’ mixed with a combination of real life science.

What was actually said:
We have done a certain amount of working with a local school here in LA, so at UCLA we've been dealing with some sort of astrophysicists in terms of laying out our star systems and what kind of planets will be what distance from the stars. You know very much in Star Wars they sort of focus the planets to sort of feel like it's a TYPE it's a JUNGLE or it's an ICE PLANET or it's a DESERT PLANET.

10 FOR THE CHAIRMAN: EPISODE 75 JAN 25 2016
http://archive.is/wqUeN

Q: Thoughts on where CIG will go after Star Citizen is finished? Will you develop additional content?

Answer according to INN
CIG will continue to produce features, content, functionality improvements, and new singleplayer campaigns for Star Citizen for the foreseeable future. (i.e. World of Warcraft, EVE Online)

What was actually said:
We'll have what will sort of determine a sort of... MINIMUM VIABLE PRODUCT FEATURE LIST for what you would call Star Citizen the commerical release, which is basically when you say, "OK, we've gotten to this point and we've still got PLANS to add a lot more cool stuff and more content and more functionality and more features"

10 FOR THE CHAIRMAN: EPISODE 83 APR 18 2016
http://archive.is/S4JpH

Q: Whenever I lose my guns in space will I have to buy new ones?

Answer according to INN
Generally if you damage your ship when you are flying it you will have to pay to get it repaired. Depending on the type of insurance you have it may pay for the ship and/or custom components. However there will be penalties for making repeated claims to prevent people abusing it: premiums increase, replacements take longer, there is extra scrutiny, etc. An advantage of having an Alpha phase is we get to find a nice balance for this with your help.

What was actually said:
I'm not stupid enough to say... "it's DEFINITELY gonna work EXACTLY this way", cos... you know... you've gotta get it out there LIVE and play around. Hopefully with all you guy's help and playing it we'll come up with something that is like a really nice balance.

Are you using their 'transcripts' or the tl;dr: summaries?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Thoatse posted:

Are you using their 'transcripts' or the tl;dr: summaries?

Tldr's

Which are posted on the same day as the videos go out, their transcriptions lag behind and are filled in later.

Slimy.

E: the tldr's are front and centre, directly underneath the videos.

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 10, 2016

gipskrampf
Oct 31, 2010
Nap Ghost
:gary: :eurovision: Public service announcement: :eurovision: :yarg:

Today is the first Eurovision semi-final, starts in about an hour. So if you need an excuse to get drunk on a Tuesday evening (or afternoon for the Americans) and would like to see what counts as music in Moldova, Azerbaijan or Bosnia (or simply shitpost in a different thread for a change), join us in the Eurovision thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773328

gipskrampf fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 10, 2016

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

gipskrampf posted:

Today is the first Eurovision semi-final, starts in about an hour. So if you need an excuse to get drunk on a Wednesday evening (or afternoon for the Americans) and would like to see what counts as music in Moldova, Azerbaijan or Bosnia (or simply shitpost in a different thread for a change), join us in the Eurovision thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773328

I would like to get drunk this afternoon and shitpost but I'm pretty sure work would frown on that.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

So let me get this straight: Star Citizen can be though of a excel spreadsheet with a thousand tabs. Four different studios are taking a few hundred each and working on filling them out. Each tab uses formulas completely dependent on all other tabs and as one studio updates their tabs other studios are constantly changing theirs and then sending the updated info so that it gets into the main spreadsheet everyone else is using so their changes hopefully work with everyone else's. And if they save their own sheet separately it will simply be out of date at the end of the day so they have to keep downloading the other changing spreadsheet data so they can reliably update their assigned tabs but so does every other studio.

How? Why? When? Buh?

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

Croberts has a plan to get this game done....soon we will be able to upload our consciousness to a computer so he will do that numerous times and have the development team he needs...
imagine 100 Croberts working together to make a game

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

gipskrampf posted:

Today is the first Eurovision semi-final, starts in about an hour. So if you need an excuse to get drunk on a Tuesday evening (or afternoon for the Americans) and would like to see what counts as music in Moldova, Azerbaijan or Bosnia (or simply shitpost in a different thread for a change), join us in the Eurovision thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773328

I have American vision that filters European polarization, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Good url

Yes, they did...

• Locked thread