Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Gotta ride that Ethics/Journalism whale as long as they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Trash/sell any Yellow/Blue weapons? No reason to hold onto them expecting one of them to be special and useful later on eh...

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I AM BRAWW posted:

Trash/sell any Yellow/Blue weapons? No reason to hold onto them expecting one of them to be special and useful later on eh...

Yeah, realistically the only reasons to hold on to something is if it's a component to be upgraded (Witcher Gear) or if you just really like the way it looks when you wear it.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I keep some things as trophies to clutter up my stash.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

I AM BRAWW posted:

confirm

Occasionally relic-quality (orange) stuff will be better or sidegrades to your Witcher set gear but mostly you'll want to use the sets.

There aren't any special weapons linked to quests or interactions later on, most loot is randomized and based on your level. Unless it's an upgrade, feel free to sell it.

Edit: one of the cool things Witcher 3 does that helps the storytelling is removing loot or XP incentives toward your decision-making. You don't need to choose dialogue option X to get the best quest reward or unlock a perk or whatever. Your decisions during dialogues only really affect the story, so you're more truly roleplaying. There isn't a gameplay advantage to completing a quest one way or the other. You'll notice much of the discussion in the thread has revolved around how to handle the Bloody Baron / Family Matters quest, or choosing Triss vs. Yen for romance. Those are purely moral/ethical/personal choices.

On one hand, you don't get the phat loots reward or big jumps in combat power from getting a cool new magic sword or perk. On the other, you're actually making meaningful decisions and being part of the story rather than trying to powergame the best options to get loot/xp rewards or whatever.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 10, 2016

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Franz von Dada posted:

Getting the Witcheress ending first try blind was the best feeling ever, even if it's the shortest.

Gonna be honest here - I probably should have seen this coming (I guess because I finished the game at like 3am after a marathon play session so I wasn't firing on all cylinders) but I was totally convinced through basically the entire ending, from Emyhr's conversation onwards, that Ciri didn't make it back. I believed that right up until the very last moment when you see her in the tavern. What a feeling that was, seeing that. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect them to stick the landing for the game, and the series, the way they did.

Now that they have a solid date for Blood&Wine I think I'm going to start a brand new play through. I haven't played since they introduced NG+, so would that be a viable option for starting over again for the main game and both DLC, or should I start from scratch? Considering how I outleveled a lot of stuff in my initial play through I'm concerned adding two DLCs onto that would just make things too easy.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Love it when Deserters call me Witch Fucker.

[sighs, looking back at Witcher 1 Tittie Cards]

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I AM BRAWW posted:

My wife overheard that once while I was playing.

"Did they just call you a witch fucker?"

"Yeah, but in fairness to them, I did gently caress a lot of witches."

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Meiteron posted:

Now that they have a solid date for Blood&Wine I think I'm going to start a brand new play through. I haven't played since they introduced NG+, so would that be a viable option for starting over again for the main game and both DLC, or should I start from scratch? Considering how I outleveled a lot of stuff in my initial play through I'm concerned adding two DLCs onto that would just make things too easy.

In my experience NG+ doesn't have as steep of a power curve as a regular game, but you'll still outlevel content and eventually make the game pretty trivial.

I think that's mostly a problem with the mid/late base game, though. Hearts of Stone fights were a good challenge even for end-game blinged out Geralt, and I fully expect Blood and Wine will be the same. CDPR has been really good about listening to player feedback and it's a common complaint that the difficulty really falls off late-game. They made HoS tougher, I'd assume the same will be true of the second expansion.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I AM BRAWW posted:

Reminds me of the good laugh the Baron's men gave me while chasing the lubberkin.

"Wizardry!"
"loving poo poo!"

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Lmao was Whtie Orchard the tutorial area? I'm guessing the dude asking me questions during my beard shave is recreating my save file from witcher 2 huh

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yep. Be sure to check out the map of the next area when you get there and compare it to White Orchard.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

I AM BRAWW posted:

Lmao was Whtie Orchard the tutorial area? I'm guessing the dude asking me questions during my beard shave is recreating my save file from witcher 2 huh

Yeah White Orchard is the tutorial zone. It takes I dunno 5ish hours to do fairly completely, the base game is a good 80-100 hours total of solid content. You've seen like 10% of it, game is huge.

And yes, you're recreating your save from W2. Most of the decisions don't have huge consequences BUT I would suggest letting Letho live because he'll show up as part of a cool quest you'd otherwise miss out on.

You will also learn to bow to the Emperor.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Meiteron posted:

Gonna be honest here - I probably should have seen this coming (I guess because I finished the game at like 3am after a marathon play session so I wasn't firing on all cylinders) but I was totally convinced through basically the entire ending, from Emyhr's conversation onwards, that Ciri didn't make it back. I believed that right up until the very last moment when you see her in the tavern. What a feeling that was, seeing that. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect them to stick the landing for the game, and the series, the way they did.

Same.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah White Orchard is the tutorial zone. It takes I dunno 5ish hours to do fairly completely, the base game is a good 80-100 hours total of solid content. You've seen like 10% of it, game is huge.

And yes, you're recreating your save from W2. Most of the decisions don't have huge consequences BUT I would suggest letting Letho live because he'll show up as part of a cool quest you'd otherwise miss out on.

You will also learn to bow to the Emperor.

Yeah, pretty much went with what I do remember from my actual W2 run (which did end with letting Letho live cause he's great). 8h tutorial zone tho ftw.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Meiteron posted:

Haha you are me. I 'knew' they wouldn't just have her die like that, but it was masterfully delivered. And now they are chill monster hunting bros, best ending.

I too started again right away. Gwent, this time.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 10, 2016

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Man Ambassador var Attre is incredibly useful and I wish Witcher 2 had a similar character in the beginning so I could've understanded more what was going on during that whole political scene mishmash.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So if I have a Witcher 2 save I want to import I should NOT use the simulate Witcher 2save option?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

So if I have a Witcher 2 save I want to import I should NOT use the simulate Witcher 2save option?
Yep.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

sebmojo posted:

Haha you are me. I 'knew' they wouldn't just have her die like that, but it was masterfully delivered. And now they are chill monster hunting bros, best ending.

I too started again right away. Gwent, this time.

I'd heard that it was possible for Ciri to die, so when my epilogue started with me being fooled and thinking the sword was a memorial to her. Then I tried to equip it and realised it had a level 1 requirement, suitable for someone just starting out Witchering.... That's when I picked up on what was going on.

The epilogues are so good.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Iirc the only major thing you get by importing a save is the Blue Stripes tattoo. Simulating you get to pick what happened to various characters and other than a few cameos and references in dialogue the only big change is Letho has a quest if he's alive.

Import if you want to keep your tattoo.
Simulate and keep Letho alive for some content you wouldn't get otherwise.
The other stuff is really minor.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Corvo Bianco = White Crow, probably

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So is Blood and Wine post-Witcher 3 or what?
Goddamn this game was fantastic and I enjoyed every second of it but for some reason I never beat it. Got what I assume was 2/3 of the game through (not counting millions of sidequests)

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Tupperwarez posted:

The Witcher 3 is one of the best detective games I've played.

It has glowing forensics bullshit like CSI.
It has regular hosed up crimes that combo into even more hosed up crimes like Law and Order: SVU.
Every other motherfucker is scheming and plotting like The Wire.
It has... something from Homicide, I don't know what, but I'm sure it does.

Homicides, most likely.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Somebody didn't play the mission where Geralt's best buddy Detective Munch drops by.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Fun fact: witcher vision is actually just Geralt thinking to himself "zoom, enhance, zoom, enhance."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Calaveron posted:

Goddamn this game was fantastic and I enjoyed every second of it but for some reason I never beat it. Got what I assume was 2/3 of the game through (not counting millions of sidequests)

What bit are you up to? Ending is Great. Finish it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Calaveron posted:

It has a higher level requirement than HoS so I'd say yes. It also features outfits from Witcher 1+2, old friends will be able to visit Geralt at his home and apparently it features nostalgic throwbacks to the previous games which all suggests it's the final farewell to the series (at least with Geralt as the protagonist) with tons of fanservide so it's probably best saved for last anyway.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

sebmojo posted:

What bit are you up to? Ending is Great. Finish it.

I don't remember. Definitely did the battle bit at Kaer Mohren, but I kinda lost my steam after finding out visiting what'shisface with Ciri kinda locked me into one ending in particular and bleh, I don't like that.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Calaveron posted:

I don't remember. Definitely did the battle bit at Kaer Mohren, but I kinda lost my steam after finding out visiting what'shisface with Ciri kinda locked me into one ending in particular and bleh, I don't like that.

You probably have ballpark 10 hours of main quest stuff left. Hopping around doing some preparations then the final showdown.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Palpek posted:

It has a higher level requirement than HoS so I'd say yes. It also features outfits from Witcher 1+2, old friends will be able to visit Geralt at his home and apparently it features nostalgic throwbacks to the previous games which all suggests it's the final farewell to the series (at least with Geralt as the protagonist) with tons of fanservide so it's probably best saved for last anyway.

This is the first game in the series that ever really clicked with me so I certainly hope that, even if they're done with Geralt, this won't be the last game they make in this style because it's obscenely good.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Pre-orders for Blood and Wine are now up on Steam and GOG.

https://www.gog.com/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/378648/?snr=1_5_9__405

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Gonna be so sad when it's over. No more Witcher after this :(

Selane
May 19, 2006

Tupperwarez posted:

The Witcher 3 is one of the best detective games I've played.

It has glowing forensics bullshit like CSI.
It has regular hosed up crimes that combo into even more hosed up crimes like Law and Order: SVU.
Every other motherfucker is scheming and plotting like The Wire.
It has... something from Homicide, I don't know what, but I'm sure it does.

Shortly after this game came out I used to like watching people streaming it, and marveling at how many people walked straight into the bullshit fake red herring ending to the Carnal Sins questline because they were in such a hurry to stab someone.

I love this game. :allears:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

OhFunny posted:

Pre-orders for Blood and Wine are now up on Steam and GOG.

https://www.gog.com/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/378648/?snr=1_5_9__405

10% off Steam, nice

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Capn Beeb posted:

10% off Steam, nice

And Gog.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Senjuro posted:

Gonna be so sad when it's over. No more Witcher after this :(

No more Geralt. Maybe in ten years time we'll see an Eskel game.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Deakul posted:

* Can get blue, hooded armour from Witcher 2, armour from Witcher 1, Ursine Witcher armour with furry pauldron that was in the artbook but cut from the main game.

My furry pauldron! :neckbeard:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Goddamn that Polygon review

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arcsquad12 posted:

No more Geralt. Maybe in ten years time we'll see an Eskel game.

Lambert and Keira :swoon: