Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Am I allowed to think war is awful but that some of the machines built to facilitate war have their own beauty?

If you can't stand fighter jets though, here is a tech demonstrator built out of some old crap nobody was using:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster
When you think about war machines being awesome and rad and cool and beautiful, think about all the time and effort spent making them that way that could have gone somewhere else.

Don't get me wrong we need a good military and all that, but really do sit down and think about whether it's healthy to think about war stuff like you're doing.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Exactly, because if anything history shows that military inventions never flow through to rapid, direct civilian benefit and consumer products. Al Gore invented the internet while contemplating a system to better recycle tetra-pak drink boxes and we are better off for it.

Here, have this picture of a plane that has been hardened to loiter above a world utterly ruined by nuclear war and direct the last hopeless counter attack to ensure that the very last vestiges of any remaining enemies are burned to ash in the atomic fire of American revenge.

shadow puppet of a has a new favorite as of 07:18 on May 12, 2016

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
It's almost as if military projects get far more funding and government backing than pure research and thus come up with greater and more noticeable innovations as a result of this imbalance of attention.

"What's that, experiment with using more sustainable alternative power sources in poverty-stricken countries that could use the aid? Where will the money come from to bomb them then, smart guy? Everyone knows it's more badass to kill people than to help them, that's a scientific fact verified by DARPA. Now let's spend a few billion dollars on this nuclear jet that will never get used and will be obsolete this time next year!"

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I know right? We should start by sharing pictures of people losing at things graciously and demanding that be the new archetype for badass in defiance of our innate instinctual responses and the warlike nature of humans that has spurred civilization and development from the very beginning.

I'm GIS'ing for "Photo of a mellow gentleman pruning his garden hedgerow and smiling at the serenity of such a sweet idyll +badass" but nothing is coming up so you'll have to settle for more war machines as a crude stand-in for whatever new definition of badass we can agree upon.

Please disregard this ugly rant as I've found what I was looking for.

shadow puppet of a has a new favorite as of 08:01 on May 12, 2016

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

shadow puppet of a posted:

I know right? We should start by sharing pictures of people losing at things graciously and demanding that be the new archetype for badass in defiance of our innate instinctual responses and the warlike nature of humans that has spurred civilization and development from the very beginning.

lol

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
But fighter jets are cool. And guns are cool. Bad rear end even. Like, the sort of thing you'd see in a bad rear end pictures thread.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

But fighter jets are cool. And guns are cool. Bad rear end even. Like, the sort of thing you'd see in a bad rear end pictures thread.
I disagree. You know what is really bad rear end? Family game night.

It doesn't have to be competitive either. You can use it as a chance to warn against zero-sum thinking starting from a young age.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

KFBR392 posted:

When you think about war machines being awesome and rad and cool and beautiful, think about all the time and effort spent making them that way that could have gone somewhere else.

Don't get me wrong we need a good military and all that, but really do sit down and think about whether it's healthy to think about war stuff like you're doing.

So the military is necessary but money shouldn't be spent on it nor should sleek machinery be eye-catching?

Race cars look cool because the high performance required of them leads to visually pleasing designs.

Fighter jets look cool because the high performance required of them leads to visually pleasing designs.

Except for jet fighters and the SR-71 Blackbird (which was operated by the military but was armed only with a camera), airplanes don't need to be particularly fast or maneuverable so they tend to have more boring shapes to maximize cargo capacity and fuel economy.

Now, if this was the cool stories thread I might post about the Berlin Airlift; where Soviets tried to use a blockade to keep the (other) Allies from sending food/supplies into West Berlin by rail/road so the Allies just flew constant cargo shipments to feed the West Berlin population.
...but this is the Bad rear end Pictures thread and a bunch of cargo planes being unloaded at an airport:

doesn't look as cool as a spy plane designed to outrun the missiles that shot down Gary Powers:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Look at that sexy rear end canopy.
And those rocket pods are perfect for loving up a hamlet on the cheap. :fsmug:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I live by an airport and this last weekend there was an airshow. Fighter jets are loving awesome!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

This is precisely why I got my degree in aviation. Planes are loving cool.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Beastie posted:

This is precisely why I got my degree in aviation. Planes are loving cool.

ITT tech does aviation degrees now?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Beastie posted:

Look at that sexy rear end canopy.
And those rocket pods are perfect for loving up a hamlet on the cheap. :fsmug:

I think all aeroplanes and other weapons of the military-industrial complex should have like, sharks' mouths painted on them.

Maybe different services could have like dinosaurs' teeth on them. Or the angles and dangles could disguise their subs as Orca whales or something.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I think all aeroplanes and other weapons of the military-industrial complex should have like, sharks' mouths painted on them.

Why stop there?

Edit: PIGGY FACE!

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detail/2717/doss-desmond-t.php

Here's some more military badass, but with a twist! Doss was a conscientious objector and didn't train with or use a rifle. Instead he became a medic and when things went to hell he just put himself in incredible danger to drag other, more badly injured people to safety over and over again. The event cited in the awarding of his medal is particularly crazy, he lowered ~75 wounded people down a cliff with a rope system by hand to be evacuated while the remaining wounded covered him during a counterattack in the Pacific Theater. Also later he got his legs injured by an enemy grenade, treated himself, waited 5 hours for litter bearers to reach him, then partway back saw a more badly injured person so he got off, treated that guy and told the litter bearers to come back for him after they dropped off the other guy. Really though you can pull out any citation on the MoH website and it fits this thread perfectly.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster

Cat Hatter posted:

So the military is necessary but money shouldn't be spent on it nor should sleek machinery be eye-catching?

Race cars look cool because the high performance required of them leads to visually pleasing designs.

Fighter jets look cool because the high performance required of them leads to visually pleasing designs.

Except for jet fighters and the SR-71 Blackbird (which was operated by the military but was armed only with a camera), airplanes don't need to be particularly fast or maneuverable so they tend to have more boring shapes to maximize cargo capacity and fuel economy.

Now, if this was the cool stories thread I might post about the Berlin Airlift; where Soviets tried to use a blockade to keep the (other) Allies from sending food/supplies into West Berlin by rail/road so the Allies just flew constant cargo shipments to feed the West Berlin population.
...but this is the Bad rear end Pictures thread and a bunch of cargo planes being unloaded at an airport:

doesn't look as cool as a spy plane designed to outrun the missiles that shot down Gary Powers:

F35 looks cool!!!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

KFBR392 posted:

F35 looks cool!!!

Yeah, but you can clearly see why its so horrendously over-budget, since they're trying to cram a multi-role package in a Combination twin prop cargo hauler/High altitude-High Speed reconnaissance jet chassis.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Maybe different services could have like dinosaurs' teeth on them. Or the angles and dangles could disguise their subs as Orca whales or something.

To top it off, I think, maybe, put some sort of sirens on them, so you can hear them when they dive at you. That'll totally shock and awe those guys.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

mmj posted:

http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detail/2717/doss-desmond-t.php

Here's some more military badass, but with a twist! Doss was a conscientious objector and didn't train with or use a rifle. Instead he became a medic and when things went to hell he just put himself in incredible danger to drag other, more badly injured people to safety over and over again. The event cited in the awarding of his medal is particularly crazy, he lowered ~75 wounded people down a cliff with a rope system by hand to be evacuated while the remaining wounded covered him during a counterattack in the Pacific Theater. Also later he got his legs injured by an enemy grenade, treated himself, waited 5 hours for litter bearers to reach him, then partway back saw a more badly injured person so he got off, treated that guy and told the litter bearers to come back for him after they dropped off the other guy. Really though you can pull out any citation on the MoH website and it fits this thread perfectly.

This is a man I can respect. That is badass.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Didn't we invent rocket power from war? That's kinda handy.

I found out through cracked that the blonde chick from The Walking Dead is a badass fighting against human sex trafficking.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
wrong thread

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Here is something that we can all agree on is badass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PwhYFdzY_Q

During Market Garden the Dutch railway workers went on strike to aid the Allied operation. In retaliation the Germans stopped all food shipments by rail and flooded large parts of farmland . To make matters worse the winter of 44/45 was one of the harshest in recent history, which resulted in widespread starvation here known as the Hunger Winter.

To save the 3 million starving people, the Allies came up with a plan to drop food with low flying Lancasters and B-17's called Operation Manna and Operation Chowhound.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operations_Manna_and_Chowhound

http://operationmanna.secondworldwar.nl/

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Soulex posted:

Didn't we invent rocket power from war? That's kinda handy.

Nope, just some insane European chemists with odd numbers of fingers. War was the impetus for making it more than a curiosity.

Google a book called Ignition! and join us in the PYF Dangerous Chemicals thread.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Memento posted:

Nope, just some insane European chemists with odd numbers of fingers. War was the impetus for making it more than a curiosity.

Google a book called Ignition! and join us in the PYF Dangerous Chemicals thread.

Generally, war hasn't really been responsible for "inventing" anything not directly related to warfare. All of the technologies that World War II is credited with creating (rocketry, jet planes, nuclear weapons, radar, etc.) were already in development before the war and likely would have eventually been developed to the same degree. World War II was responsible for increasing development to rapidly get useful technologies up to speed for use in the war.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Memento posted:

To be perfectly fair, the US had its own fair share of insane rocket folk.

Ellie Crabcakes has a new favorite as of 05:34 on May 14, 2016

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
An Iraqi Air Force Cessna 208 Grand Caravan launching a Hellfire missile

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

http://i.imgur.com/ho6iu3X.webm

Why yes, that is a Killer Whale knocking a Seal several dozen feet into the air.

JiimyPopAli
Oct 5, 2009
The seal is in the air long enough to wonder what the hell just happened.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

JiimyPopAli posted:

The seal is in the air long enough to wonder what the hell just happened.

More likely it had time to think "Oh no not again".

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I'm more interested in the thoughts of the birds steering clear of the seal.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Enigma posted:

"Holy poo poo a flying loving seal" would be my guess.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Enigma posted:

"God damnit Hank knock it off with the seals, we're flying here"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

DandyLion posted:

More likely it had time to think "Oh no not again".

Uh.. Somehow I don't think it's cognizant long enough to experience that twice

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
How on earth did the whale manage to co-ordinate all that? I mean the seal was probably already dead at launch but still, you'd think the waves would make keeping the corpse still in one spot to aim at impossible.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Pyrotoad posted:

How on earth did the whale manage to co-ordinate all that? I mean the seal was probably already dead at launch but still, you'd think the waves would make keeping the corpse still in one spot to aim at impossible.

Orcas are real clever. They can co-ordinate washing seals off ice-floes with tail-waves, they can co-ordinate a 3-hour team assassination against a humpback whale pup, and they can use bits of fish to lure seagulls down to the water to eat them.

They'll hunt and kill Great White Sharks, just for their liver, incapacitating them by turning them upside down. They're the apex predator of apex predators and the second biggest carnivorous sea-mammal (I think, anyway). Basically, if they developed opposable thumbs, we're hosed.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Orcas are real clever. They can co-ordinate washing seals off ice-floes with tail-waves, they can co-ordinate a 3-hour team assassination against a humpback whale pup, and they can use bits of fish to lure seagulls down to the water to eat them.

They'll hunt and kill Great White Sharks, just for their liver, incapacitating them by turning them upside down. They're the apex predator of apex predators and the second biggest carnivorous sea-mammal (I think, anyway). Basically, if they developed opposable thumbs, we're hosed.

I can kill an orca with my bare hands, they don't impress me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pyrotoad posted:

It had a few missed attempts before it nailed the takeoff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7WGIH35JBE

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Molentik posted:

To save the 3 million starving people, the Allies came up with a plan to drop food with low flying Lancasters and B-17's called Operation Manna and Operation Chowhound.
On one hand, we have a Biblical reference to the time food came from the heavens in a time of great need. On the other "gently caress it, we're bombing them with food who gives a drat". I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I ain't scared of no orca.

Can they do this?