Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My wife has celiac. I use the gluten free lasagna noodles but instead of boiling them I soak them in hot tap water for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The only person I've known with crohns ate a diet of about 90% cheeseburgers but he also complained about his crohns a lot.

Re: a page back about subbing oils for baking- in a lot of things the oil is oil but butter can be a little tricky in some recipes because butter contains both oil and water, and some recipes rely on releasing steam from butter as a part of producing the desired results.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Also you could like sub in eggplant for lasagna sheets (bake/fry them in a gluten free dredge if you like) and that'd be cool too.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Turkeybone posted:

Also you could like sub in eggplant for lasagna sheets (bake/fry them in a gluten free dredge if you like) and that'd be cool too.

Or you could make a Moussaka, which is in some respects the same thing.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So I took some egg whites out of the freezer a couple weekends ago and forgot all about them

Are they still useable? I was gunna make macarons

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

So I took some egg whites out of the freezer a couple weekends ago and forgot all about them

Are they still useable? I was gunna make macarons

Were the eggs pasteurized? Then they're probably safe.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Chemmy posted:

My wife has celiac. I use the gluten free lasagna noodles but instead of boiling them I soak them in hot tap water for a while.

Cool, thanks. She really misses pasta, since even 90% of the Italian restaurants around here can't make gluten free pasta without it sticking together. The one place that can is really expensive, too.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have good news: you're about to learn how to cook Italian food. There's plenty of good dried gluten free pasta. My wife likes the target brand best.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Best brand of rice wine vinegar available at your standard American grocery store? Need some tomorrow but it's a struggle getting to the Asian market around here on a weeknight. Rice vinegar also acceptable.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I like Nakano and it's pretty ubiquitous. They sell it in plain and seasoned (sugar & salt)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

pile of brown posted:

I like Nakano and it's pretty ubiquitous. They sell it in plain and seasoned (sugar & salt)

Got this and it's tasty, thanks.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
How long do I bake this? http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Baked_Beans The original thread has been archived so I can't check if it says there. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1729869

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

FalloutGod posted:

How long do I bake this? http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Baked_Beans The original thread has been archived so I can't check if it says there. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1729869

It's never mentioned in the thread.

e: and I can't find any similar Bobby Flay recipe. Good luck!

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 12, 2016

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Haha well shiiiitttt... I guess I'll just try and match what the picture looks like. Hopefully the recipe's good. Thanks for lookin. :tipshat:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

FalloutGod posted:

Haha well shiiiitttt... I guess I'll just try and match what the picture looks like. Hopefully the recipe's good. Thanks for lookin. :tipshat:

I would let it go at least like 90m. Maybe a couple hours. More time can't really hurt for something like that.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Cooked for a solid two hours. The dish was a little sweet for my tastes but the family enjoyed it well enough. Thanks for the advice on letting it bake for awhile.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

FalloutGod posted:

Cooked for a solid two hours.

Bit late for this, but it is very reminiscent of Quebec's fèves au lard, which are usually slow cooked for hours (i.e.: overnight). Basically, the longer you cook it, the thicker it gets, so it's up to whether you want your beans more liquid.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
This might be an odd request but I need some advice from goons with serious cookie game. I am working on a project to produce custom cookies using multi-piece 3D printed cutters; I'm trying to hit the local wedding and corporate gigs and make some spare cash this summer. I am looking for some cookie mixes with minimal 'slump' or deformation during baking, so that details like logo imprints or text remain legible. I do a lot of cooking, but cookies and cakes are fairly new to me.

FalloutGod posted:

Cooked for a solid two hours. The dish was a little sweet for my tastes but the family enjoyed it well enough. Thanks for the advice on letting it bake for awhile.

For a bean dish that's more meaty and less sweet you might try Bean Jar - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guernsey_Bean_Jar

It's pretty much our national dish (tied with a species of Abalone we call 'Ormers'), probably derived from breton bean cassoulet recipes originally. It's hearty stuff, traditionally cooked in the ovens at your local bakers over night. Which is where the name comes from, you would take your family jar down to the bakers at closing, pick it up in the morning and eat it for breakfast. My tip is to use beef for the stock but pork hock for the meat, cook until the beans break down quite a lot and the dish thickens. Also leave out the carrots, they can ferment a little in the very slow cooking and give it a weird flavour, especially on re-heating leftovers.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

ReelBigLizard posted:

This might be an odd request but I need some advice from goons with serious cookie game. I am working on a project to produce custom cookies using multi-piece 3D printed cutters; I'm trying to hit the local wedding and corporate gigs and make some spare cash this summer. I am looking for some cookie mixes with minimal 'slump' or deformation during baking, so that details like logo imprints or text remain legible. I do a lot of cooking, but cookies and cakes are fairly new to me.

Springerle cookies seem like what you're looking for:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/150123/traditional-springerle/

You allow them to dry before baking them, which lets them keep their shape very well.

Gingerbread would probably work well too, you can cut that that into shapes, bake it and make houses and stuff out of it:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4900/simple-gingerbread-house

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Thanks for that, I'd totally forgotten about Springerle! It reminded me in turn of an episode of the Woodwrights Shop I'd seen ages ago about carving the moulds in which they mention an authority on moulded cookie recipes and methods, Anne Watson.

The Episode
http://www.pbs.org/video/2365554453/

Anne Watsons site
http://www.annelwatson.com/cookiemolds/ingredients.html

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Does anyone have a real good cassoulet recipe? I have some killer confit de canard.

Also ReelBigLizard, please write some more! I really enjoyed your writing so far. :)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Thanks, at the moment I just don't have enough hours in the day. Working for myself it all comes in fits and starts. I'm hoping the cookie thing will be a good regular earner, especially with wedding season upon us.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Does anyone have a real good cassoulet recipe? I have some killer confit de canard.

Also ReelBigLizard, please write some more! I really enjoyed your writing so far. :)

Another goon and I have each made kenji's recipe and found it incredible: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/traditional-french-cassoulet-recipe.html

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Lawnie posted:

Another goon and I have each made kenji's recipe and found it incredible: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/traditional-french-cassoulet-recipe.html

This was just eh for me. Maybe I messed something up because I never got a crust, and the chicken and sausage were overcooked at the end of the suggested cooking time.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

This was just eh for me. Maybe I messed something up because I never got a crust, and the chicken and sausage were overcooked at the end of the suggested cooking time.

The gelatin is key to the crust, so if you didn't use that then it's a must, unless you're using homemade stock that practically turns to jelly in the fridge. I didn't notice any overcooking, but the depth and intensity of flavor in the gravy/broth/whatever that mushy, creamy bean liquid is outshined the flavor of the chicken to me, anyway.

I try not to judge a recipe after just one attempt, but the effort involved in this one could be very discouraging. I hope you try it again! Another tip for the crust formation, I suppose: keep the oven shut as much as possible. Don't check on it for longer than suggested if you're having trouble getting a crust.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I measured out the rice and water into the rice cooker last night for today's lunch but forgot to set the timer so it's just been cold soaking since about 7pm last night. Is anything odd going to happen to it or can I just start the cooker when I get home this evening and have it for dinner tonight?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

hogmartin posted:

I measured out the rice and water into the rice cooker last night for today's lunch but forgot to set the timer so it's just been cold soaking since about 7pm last night. Is anything odd going to happen to it or can I just start the cooker when I get home this evening and have it for dinner tonight?

I have no idea but you should try it anyway and report back with your results.

I can't imagine it'd do anything aside from maybe make the rice a bit soggy.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Yeah, might as well. I'm guessing it won't hurt it too much because if I'd set the timer, it would have been sitting there for about ten hours anyway, and the timer on that particular model will let you delay it out to 15 hours. What's another 6 on top of that?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

hogmartin posted:

Is anything odd going to happen to it (...)?

Apart from a chance encounter with your friend bacillus cereus?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Jan posted:

Apart from a chance encounter with your friend bacillus cereus?

Even if it isn't cooked yet?

e: also both of us completely failed to exploit the "surely you're not... cereus?" opportunity :(

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

hogmartin posted:

Even if it isn't cooked yet?

I tried researching it a bit and came up inconclusive -- my gut feeling (:haw:) is that since it's not a problem with dried, uncooked rice, but it survives cooking and then thrives, the presence of water must be what's allowing it to develop.

But I am not a biologist.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There are rice cookers which will purposefully do exactly what you did in order to try and germinate the rice.

That involves warm water though and multiple days.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Lawnie posted:

The gelatin is key to the crust, so if you didn't use that then it's a must, unless you're using homemade stock that practically turns to jelly in the fridge. I didn't notice any overcooking, but the depth and intensity of flavor in the gravy/broth/whatever that mushy, creamy bean liquid is outshined the flavor of the chicken to me, anyway.

I try not to judge a recipe after just one attempt, but the effort involved in this one could be very discouraging. I hope you try it again! Another tip for the crust formation, I suppose: keep the oven shut as much as possible. Don't check on it for longer than suggested if you're having trouble getting a crust.

I did use gelatin. I have newly made homemade stock in the freezer that is very very thick though, so maybe I'll give it another try. I agree that the effort messes with me a lot especially since my dutch oven's seasoning got hosed up hardcore by the cassoulet last time I made it and I had to do it over.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

There's a restaurant here that makes a delicious lasagna. I asked about it a few months ago, but they finally have it on their online menu. The menu lists ingredients as sausage, tomatoes, pecorino, mozzarella, ricotta, bescamilla (bechamel?) and basil. Does anyone have a good recipe with approximately those ingredients? I was asking about gluten free lasagna a few days ago, and that's the type I was thinking of. It's absolutely delicious, but it's $24 per serving, and I could do a lot better than that.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

No other vegetables, like onions? Or is that just the 'notable' ingredients?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I didn't notice anything, but it's been months. It does seem like there should be more vegetables, but I'm not sure. Definitely no carrots like a lot of recipes I see have.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Update - first recipe in the book came out good, just a basic cookie with lemon, although I'd probably double up the lemon flavouring next batch.

First impression, har

Tried this one at ~175 for 11 minutes, overshot on pretty much everything; especially temperature and thickness. Detail, however, is flawless.

Next batch rolled out with two wooden spatulas as depth stops for the rolling pin for a nice even thickness, thinner than the first test. Rolled and cut directly onto the paper this time (duh).

160 for 10 minutes. Extremely promising, very pleased. Next to try will be actual 3d detail, maybe I'll try a scanned face or something.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 14, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That's pretty good!

My suggestion for another variety is speculaas:

It's a traditional Dutch spiced cookie, they're very good.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
There's a speculaas recipe to try. I'm thinking this xmas I'm going to need a version of the St. Nicolas speculaas but with Joulupukki instead

Festive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

ReelBigLizard posted:

Thanks for that, I'd totally forgotten about Springerle! It reminded me in turn of an episode of the Woodwrights Shop I'd seen ages ago about carving the moulds in which they mention an authority on moulded cookie recipes and methods, Anne Watson.

The Episode
http://www.pbs.org/video/2365554453/

"I asked her to make me a plain cookie..."

Har har.

And now I'm going to watch The Woodwright's Shop all night.

edit: "My ancestor, Royden Unterhoovel... He was actually exiled out of Holland for carving what was considered rude and suggestive cookie molds, and selling them to the students at the University of Leiden. Aparently, there was some ordinance against that"

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 14, 2016