Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I want to defend the US lack of consumer protections out of nationalistic butthurt but it means agreeing with toast so death to amerikkka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

The situation at CIG mirrors personal experiences I've had with companies who front-load sky-high promises due to an overconfident CEO. The pattern goes this way:

- CEO who does not understand the tech but reads tech magazines and once watched Hackers envisions The Matrix and promises his clients the same
- Developers work for years and get maybe 1% of it working
- CEO sees that 1% as proof that his innate understanding of recreating reality itself in digital form is completely valid - doubles down on his promises
- Years more work does not move progress beyond that 1%, because of course it loving doesn't
- Pressure to complete project mounts - new directive to get "something" out there for client to demo
- Developers implement quick and dirty solutions under threat of termination to get product to roughly resemble what CEO envisions
- Developer intention is to use the time they bought to go back and do it "right"
- CEO will not allow developers to do it properly because he watched Swordfish the night before and has new ideas
- Death march now in effect

In any other company at some point the financials have a head-on collision with reality and the project is either scrapped, or released in its broken state, with developers always thinking some mythical day they'll go back and fix it, but more promised feature sets keep getting tacked on, making the broken core code more and more intractable. End result: a day-one legacy product which serves as a millstone around the company's neck for years.

The company I work for is reversing this process right now - it's possible to 'fix' but it's painful. In our case, the CEO was taken out the back and shot. The new guy then hires a new guy who actually knows development. The new new guy then fires almost the entire team, puts the only decent member of staff in charge of hiring a new team with a brief of 'only people who actually know what they are doing'. We are three years into the process and poo poo is only just starting to look competent. The only reason we kept going for so long is the competition are even more incompetent, and CIG certainly don't have that going for them.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Can't say too much, but I am a member of the evocati and would like to give some initial impressions of 2.4:

It's poo poo.

:monocle:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kavak posted:

Why do so many people on Youtube hate the new CoD? Is it because the MW remake is a preorder-only deal?

Every single FPS gamer I have asked (7 out of 7 so far) either dislikes or hates the new COD.
It's "too scifi" for them.

These are not redditors or goons. They just want their WWII styled shoot mans.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Kavak posted:

Why do so many people on Youtube hate the new CoD? Is it because the MW remake is a preorder-only deal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXqZdx7RvZU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Samizdata posted:

Well, that would be lovely, but if we all moved, I suspect you folks would run out of space pretty quickly.

The Baltic Sea is pretty much empty of life, we can fit a very large number of whales

The water's brackish though, so you'll need to bring your own salt. Can't imagine that would be a problem though

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'd rather watch Lesnick's morning routine.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Wanna know something really funny?

Aircraft in CHRIS ROBERTS' STAR CITIZEN only travel about as fast as a WW2 fighter when in "combat mode".

This is dumb.

Why?

Because

Can track targets moving two and a half times faster, at the current tech we have.

ok now i'm hard

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

It always surprises me when people un-ironically link to internet game personalities.

Anyhow, Activision says they have a ton of pre-orders for CoD:IW and has a track record of overcoming gamer protests.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Robert Kotick probably wipes away his tears over this drama with 100$ bills he made from the MW2 "boycott"

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
People hold Call of Duty up as THE CANCER THAT IS KILLING GAMING because it is the same every year, but now they've done something different and welp :v:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I wonder if Chris truly believes in Star Citizen any more, as opposed to SQ42. Is he fulfilling others' dreams now, or is he simply doing what he wants with the resources he's always felt the world owed him? Will he be capable of feeling responsible for its failure when it inevitably crashes?

Just joking, of course he'll blame Derek and us. Chris, I will write your tear drenched farewell letter for free cash, making sure to absolve you of all blame and placing it squarely on our shoulders where it belongs. Hit me with a PM
crobbers' is going to bleed cig dry because he wants celebrity mocap in a video game even though it doesn't work

and i'm glad of it

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

TTerrible posted:

People hold Call of Duty up as THE CANCER THAT IS KILLING GAMING because it is the same every year, but now they've done something different and welp :v:

I used to think CoD is killing gaming, then I came to an epiphany. If CoD was truly a dead series, wouldn't there be a new thriving series? We'd recognize CoD's fall from pre-emininence by saying that another game or group of games has replaced it. Yet, no FPS game has really approached CoD. Battlefield is perpetually in it's shadow, Doom doesn't look to be very good from what I've heard, HALO is a shadow of it's former gaming impact. Nothing has supplanted CoD on the throne.

The reason for that is nobody has created the gameplay to replace CoD. Until the gameplay idea exists which is better than CoD, CoD will still dominate. Modern Warfare took over because it's gameplay was fresh and new. What will take over from that?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
It's been almost 13,000 posts since I posted last, but I want you all to know I love you. Each and every one

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

This needs either ;

A) Those little flaily arms on it

B) The number of the side of the hull to count up really fast as it starts shooting

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Samizdata posted:

I've said that too, but no one listens to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVJpe1qbfb0

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Meanwhile, in Nyx Cambridge..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSKQ8KTp3fg

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

happyhippy posted:

To be fair though, all space games are slow WW2 dog fighting.
If you want realistic space warfare you would sit 20000 miles apart, lasers would be invisible but instant death if you get a hit, and rail gun like weapons would shoot trash and waste at a fraction of the speed of light and just be expanding arcs of death.

Yeah but other games can handwave that because they aren't "super hard sci-fi with proper thrusters" and blah blah nerd spiel. The fact that Chris, and the nerds that pay him, wants it grounded in as much "reality" as possible just brings up all the shortcomings of doing so.

All you need are some tunguskas and voila, instant death for anyone foolish enough to get close.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They fly like WW2 fighters because that's what they do in Star Wars (and the original Squadron 42 trailer). Had Chris actually embraced that in his flight model things might have been fun, but instead he chose to depend on his lovely supposedly self-programmed approach that individually models every thruster and made the game more of a FPS style similar to Descent. Had he embraced that as the core of his gameplay it might have produced innovative ship designs, but instead he chose to let the concept artists run rampant without any real engineering so you have lovely jets in space that require you to cheat the XML values in order to get anything to fly straight. Chris Roberts does not have a vision. He is not a creative genius. He is a derivative hack who copies whatever feature captures his goldfish-like attention span regardless of the impact it has on the program.

Star Citizen is to gaming what Wing Commander is to movies.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's been almost 13,000 posts since I posted last, but I want you all to know I love you. Each and every one

:hfive:

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

The reddit thread keeps on giving.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4j5d5o/thoughts_on_star_citizen_and_related_complaints/

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

REVERSE THE VERSE -- EPISODE SUMMARY

Friday May 13th, 2016

This episode featured Lando in LA and Tyler in Austin. For those of you who didn't watch Reverse the Verse, the big reveals are:

1) Lando started a new diet-- a Ketogenic diet. He's miserable -- it's an agonizing, energy-sapping way to lose weight. I've watched a couple of friends try it and they're zombies for awhile. (Note to Sandi: Donuts will knock him out of Ketosis so DO NOT GIVE HIM ANY.)

2) Tyler and Lando explained that the Evocati testing was in part motivated by a desire to reduce their bandwidth costs. This-- in combination with their rather alarming decline in daily revenues reported via their tracker-- might really suggest that husbanding remaining cash is starting to be a more pressing concern. (Don't expect that to mean reductions on lavish expenditures for the CIG LA office. They have to buy nice things and space doors to boost employee motivation in that office...)

Lando, in the course of this discussion, offered a telling soundbite: "The vast majority of people download the game and login once, then never come back."

I'm still inclined to believe they've received additional funding from unnamed sources-- debt or private placement. I don't expect them to run out of cash this year and frankly, it's nice to see them being responsible about spending. So good on them.

3) PG Planets were briefly discussed. Lando said they currently had rocky planets you could drive around but that we won't see that until Jungles, Oceans, and other biospheres have been added. A tall order. Ultimately, they'll be competing with No Man's Sky and Mass Effect:Andromeda when it comes to creating impressive varieties-- and unfortunately, both have been focused on this problem for several years. Because Chris has publicly stated "We have to be better than everyone" at everything -- we are likely to see glimpses of this (in the form of CitizenCon trailers and in-engine gameplay) but not actually be playing with it anytime in the near future. If at all.

4) Tippis: (on Discord) "The procedure is like this: the 3d artists design a ball; the 2d artists create some perlin noise; the planet deisgners add one to the other; the base designers put down a couple of base models; Chris rejects the whole thing because none of it fits together; and then, three cycles later, it gets pushed live… what? It's a procedure for generating planets! No-one else uses this ground-breaking tech!"

5) Lando echoed something Erin said on AtV-- and for those of us looking for additional signs of MVP-related expectations deflations, it was golden-- "If we get half the stuff we're talking about it's going to be great..." (this is an amalgamation of Lando/Erin talk but another telltale...)

6) "The Next Great Star Marine" has been put on hold, as they have been unable to find a sponsor and don't want to pay for it all themselves. (More cash conscientiousness-- yay to responsible money management!)

7) Lando seemed to allude to the possibility of farming mechanics of some kind being in development. He noted with annoyance that Toast loves those sorts of games, but then said "Maybe the next time the Endeavor comes around..." (The Endeavor Biodomes reportedly might include farming of some kind...)

Remember, Elite actually has added Biodomes in the Engineers update. The Braben / Roberts Frenemy Wars continue...

THIS IS IN THE GAME.

Here is what it looks like when you fly over one:

Here is a concept picture of a Biodome module for the Endeavor which I think was used to help sell the ship to backers...

THIS IS NOT IN THE GAME.

----

In closing, this was a not bad RtV. We hope you enjoyed this summary.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 13, 2016

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

loving laughing at this all over again

what are the stairs for?? lol

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nation posted:

So you can safely eject yourself into space when you realise what a pointless waste of space and resources the whole biodome construct is. You don't want to bang your knees on your way to the after-life, now do you?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

G0RF posted:

5) Lando echoed something Erin said on AtV-- and for those of us looking for additional signs of MVP-related expectations deflations, it was golden-- "If we get half the stuff we're talking about it's going to be great..." (this is an amalgamation of Lando/Erin talk but another telltale...)

Thanks a bunch for the summary. Could I possibly ask you for a time stamp for the quoted part? I ll look for the Erin one in ATV.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Banano posted:

ok now i'm hard

Tunguska is my safeword :wink:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pay for all of what for the next great star marine?

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

FrankieGoes posted:

Pay for all of what for the next great star marine?

lovely prebuilt computers with terrible vinyl logos on them don't grow on trees, y'know?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

G0RF posted:

2) Tyler and Lando explained that the Evocati testing was in part motivated by a desire to reduce their bandwidth costs. This-- in combination with their rather alarming decline in daily revenues reported via their tracker-- might really suggest that husbanding remaining cash is starting to be a more pressing concern. (Don't expect that to mean reductions on lavish expenditures for the CIG LA office. They have to buy nice things and space doors to boost employee motivation in that office...)

I think that this right here is evidence of cashflow problems at CIG. I remember there was a time that there were no updates to Arena Commander at all for months, and the complaints went to a critical mass, calling CIG to acknowledge the problem and promise more frequent updates so that development wouldn't feel stagnant. They actually delivered on this for a week or two, with several updates a week, but now we are at a point where updates are slow again, and now updates are only rolled out to a small number of handpicked people (Evocati testing).

Not-Lando (seriously, I do not remember the other guy's name) said that while he did have figures prepared to show backers just how much it costs to roll out a patch to backers, he decided not to show it because (paraphrase) "people wouldn't want to see boring financial stuff anyways." The point is though, that while it would make sense for a company to want to limit their costs, this goes against CIG's claims of being an "open development" and their sudden desire to tighten the budget after a few years of reckless development shows that their pocketbook is getting light. I'm sure that they can stretch things out for quite a while (I bet they have investors now as well), but just the need of them tightening the belt lets us know that things aren't all roses over there anymore. Your other points like the Next Great Star Marine being canceled reinforces that.

The farming mini-game thing being close though is hilarious though - and it confirms a claim made by eightace months ago.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

runsamok posted:

lovely prebuilt computers with terrible vinyl logos on them don't grow on trees, y'know?

Those cheap fucks. They can spend 20 grand on a door and 20 grand on a coffee maker and 20 million on Croblets mocap debacle but they won't spend a few grand to give a prize back to a few of their backers?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Nation posted:

I'm more curious where they store the cherry picker so you can prune the trees before they hit the space dome. You'd be a great Bonzai master with that setup.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Nation posted:

Do you have stairs in your biodome?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Anyone else remember the vast amounts of gigabytes they pushed out with each patch they would scramble together and throw at backers not even 6 months ago?

Fun times.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm more curious where they store the cherry picker so you can prune the trees before they hit the space dome. You'd be a great Bonzai master with that setup.

I mean is the whole thing having to point towards the sun/closest star so the trees can get light? Where does it get carbon dioxide? Do you have to have big tanks of it just to feed the trees? Are the things in orbit around a planet? Otherwise how do you protect from solar radiation? Why do you need grass? Why would you spend all of that water to facilitate flora growth?

god damnit im thinking too hard about something that had zero thought put into it again

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Nation posted:

Well, those Elite fanboys sure are going to be jealous once they see the immersive stair animations. :smuggo:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Propagandist posted:

I mean is the whole thing having to point towards the sun/closest star so the trees can get light? Where does it get carbon dioxide? Do you have to have big tanks of it just to feed the trees? Are the things in orbit around a planet? Otherwise how do you protect from solar radiation? Why do you need grass? Why would you spend all of that water to facilitate flora growth?

god damnit im thinking too hard about something that had zero thought put into it again

Ha, never really thought about the water/CO2 aspect.

Hell I thought the telescope and supercollider modules were asinine. Suburban-yard-in-space might eclipse it.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

MedicineHut posted:

Thanks a bunch for the summary. Could I possibly ask you for a time stamp for the quoted part? I ll look for the Erin one in ATV.

Erin did a two part interview AND a 10ftC. I wrote about it at the time but you might find INN transcripts mentioning Chris's high standards and Erin's hope for his team to hit some part of the target. Erin may have said a higher percentage - I can't remember.

Lando's comment was in passing but I think in the latter half. Erin's is definitely better-- he did a good job of trying to talk down expectations gently, particularly with the questions he answered for 10ftC. Contrast those with the insipid theorycrafting crap they answered on the latest 10ftD. Their discussion of mission assignments being a byproduct of NPC responses to player clothing choices was insane and yet it actually spawned news articles praising the notion.

Madness. Sheer madness!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 14, 2016

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

imperialparadox posted:

Well, those Elite fanboys sure are going to be jealous once they see the immersive stair animations. :smuggo:

Crop fidelity is going to be the focus for a six month CIG project. You can expect that occasional rootworm programming is going to be included by the 2.7 or 2.8 patch. Levels of Phosphorous and Nitrogen will be balanced based on the rotation and crop group used by the player. Players that choose to over-legume or over-fruit will see rendered shading of the soil as nitrogen levels change with each planting. There will also be extensive fungal growths designed on vegetation that players neglect to use proper fertilizer with. We'll see a gradual phase-in of crop groups starting with beans and winter rye around January of 2017.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Achamp posted:

Crop fidelity is going to be the focus for a six month CIG project. You can expect that occasional rootworm programming is going to be included by the 2.7 or 2.8 patch. Levels of Phosphorous and Nitrogen will be balanced based on the rotation and crop group used by the player. Players that choose to over-legume or over-fruit will see rendered shading of the soil as nitrogen levels change with each planting. There will also be extensive fungal growths designed on vegetation that players neglect to use proper fertilizer with. We'll see a gradual phase-in of crop groups starting with beans and winter rye around January of 2017.

2.9 will feature a beekeeping system so pollination can occur within the dome. The beekeeper suit will be available for purchase in the store. Other beneficial insects will also be included along with invasive species. Becoming the Orkin man will be a career path to eradicate pests in the verse. Specialized Aurora variant with pest control skin logos available for purchase so you can stake your franchise in the verse and earn UEC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

G0RF posted:

REVERSE THE VERSE -- EPISODE SUMMARY

Friday May 13th, 2016

This episode featured Lando in LA and Tyler in Austin. For those of you who didn't watch Reverse the Verse, the big reveals are:

1) Lando started a new diet-- a Ketogenic diet. He's miserable -- it's an agonizing, energy-sapping way to lose weight. I've watched a couple of friends try it and they're zombies for awhile. (Note to Sandi: Donuts will knock him out of Ketosis so DO NOT GIVE HIM ANY.)

I'm still inclined to believe they've received additional funding from unnamed sources-- debt or private placement. I don't expect them to run out of cash this year and frankly, it's nice to see them being responsible about spending. So good on them.

3) PG Planets were briefly discussed. Lando said they currently had rocky planets you could drive around but that we won't see that until Jungles, Oceans, and other biospheres have been added. A tall order. Ultimately, they'll be competing with No Man's Sky and Mass Effect:Andromeda when it comes to creating impressive varieties-- and unfortunately, both have been focused on this problem for several years. Because Chris has publicly stated "We have to be better than everyone" at everything -- we are likely to see glimpses of this (in the form of CitizenCon trailers and in-engine gameplay) but not actually be playing with it anytime in the near future. If at all.

4) Tippis: (on Discord) "The procedure is like this: the 3d artists design a ball; the 2d artists create some perlin noise; the planet deisgners add one to the other; the base designers put down a couple of base models; Chris rejects the whole thing because none of it fits together; and then, three cycles later, it gets pushed live… what? It's a procedure for generating planets! No-one else uses this ground-breaking tech!"

6) "The Next Great Star Marine" has been put on hold, as they have been unable to find a sponsor and don't want to pay for it all themselves. (More cash conscientiousness-- yay to responsible money management!)

7) Lando seemed to allude to the possibility of farming mechanics of some kind being in development. He noted with annoyance that Toast loves those sorts of games, but then said "Maybe the next time the Endeavor comes around..." (The Endeavor Biodomes reportedly might include farming of some kind...)

Remember, Elite actually has added Biodomes in the Engineers update. The Braben / Roberts Frenemy Wars continue...

THIS IS IN THE GAME.

Here is what it looks like when you fly over one:

Here is a concept picture of a Biodome module for the Endeavor which I think was used to help sell the ship to backers...

THIS IS NOT IN THE GAME.

----

In closing, this was a not bad RtV. We hope you enjoyed this summary.

Please don't applaud them for penny pinching now, they did nothing but needlessly spend over $100 million US dollars, and now because they realize the tap is running dry want to cut back slightly?

This is nothing but a mirror image of 19 year old me getting a small raise

"Oh boy now I can afford a brand new car... hmm poo poo those payments are a little more than I thought each month... better cancel the cable TV"

• Locked thread