Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Drunkboxer posted:

Will Sanders have a mechanical body in this scenario or are we talking about a talking skeleton here?

Weekend at Bernie's style thing probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a Straussian Strasserite.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Epic High Five posted:

Looks like it's a violation but nothing has been done. Involvement has been pretty unambiguous, at least in the case I was thinking:

The Cruel and Unusual Execution of Clayton Lockett

It's a good read, a very fine article that's more than a bit troubling
Jesus Christ, that's a horrendous ethical violation.

The banality of evil, indeed.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah reading about executions always makes me shiver because of the bureaucratic nature of it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I've never understood why they don't just use carbon monoxide to execute people. It's cheap, very easy to make, and painless.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
If people want those condemned to die to suffer so badly, strap them down on the gurney, put a butter knife on a table and make the friends and family that survived the victims draw straws to go in and do the job themselves.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

If people want those condemned to die to suffer so badly, strap them down on the gurney, put a butter knife on a table and make the friends and family that survived the victims draw straws to go in and do the job themselves.

Ah but that would give up the game. Everyone has to be wearing badges and there should be a clipboard, that means the spurting arteries and wakeful paralysis while you wait for death are official and not scary, and not redolent of Nazism at all.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It's a balancing act between those two, basically. If you let the victim's family draw and quarter the condemned, you are outright saying that it's just Hammurabi's law and the basic vengeance instinct, which is something civilized nations are not supposed to do. On the other hand, there's no incentive to make it nice and peaceful, because that means you are soft on crime. So we end up with this messed up midway system where it's medicalized and bureaucratized as much as possible, but all humanity is also purposefully wiped out of what is, of course, a fundamentally inhumane thing. You can't use firing squads because being in a firing squad fucks you up; you need as many stages of separation from the act of killing and the hand pulling the lever as you can.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

FAUXTON posted:

What kind of lovecraftian incantation were you feeding to the guy as an order?
For the record, it was a quarter pounder with no mustard in a combo with a large Coke. :patriot:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Drunkboxer posted:

I've never understood why they don't just use carbon monoxide to execute people. It's cheap, very easy to make, and painless.

They could also just not execute people.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Joe got it one. The state shouldn't execute people, nor should it be able to use the death penalty as leverage when trying to coerce a plea bargain.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Drunkboxer posted:

Just googled it here, and its not used as its not always painless or easy.
Animals sometimes thrash about when tested for example.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Joementum posted:

But then criminals would run rampant! With no tough guys to stand watch and kill them, they'd be emboldened!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Drunkboxer posted:

If the death penalty should be observed it should both be as instant as possible and require those taking part in it that they are killing someone.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

happyhippy posted:

Just googled it here, and its not used as its not always painless or easy.
Animals sometimes thrash about when tested for example.

Besides, anything but a butter knife in the hand is just a lever with Rube Goldberg mechanisms both physical and bureaucratic to get away from our true nature.

It's cowardice.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Crowsbeak posted:

If the death penalty should be observed it should both be as instant as possible and require those taking part am owlets they are killing someone.

Death by owls would be amazing and owls don't care. They don't have souls.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

MariusLecter posted:

Death by owls would be amazing and owls don't care. They don't have souls.

Yeah I hate being reduced to phone posting.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

SubponticatePoster posted:

For the record, it was a quarter pounder with no mustard in a combo with a large Coke. :patriot:

I had Burger King screw up "one plain double cheeseburger, no cheese" in a pretty fascinating way the other day - they gave me one with cheese, and then a second with everything on it. :confused:

The automation of order-taking is definitely in play, but not because it's trivial.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I once had a conversation with a right wing chucklefuck loudly proclaiming that all convicted murderers needed to be executed without appeals. I asked him if he was okay with innocent people being executed as a result of mistakes by the justice department.

His response was literally "well YEAH!!"

Some people are just bloodthirsty lunatics.

Person Dyslexic posted:

Today I tried to checkout with a kiosk and it goddamn refused to register the fruit leather I was buying.

USPOL May: it goddamn refused to register the fruit leather I was buying

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
It takes balls to kill an innocent man

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

Because when the thought process gets this far on making the executions painless and not suffering for the sake of retribution, it extends pretty quickly to just not executing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't have a good kiosk experience story to share, but I feel like most of the problems with the grocery store customer service experience could be fixed by switching to a One Big Line setup á la Trader Joe's. It minimizes congestion associated with people evaluating every line to guess the fastest one and minimizes the chance that you get stuck behind some idiot writing a check in 2016 or trying to haggle with the cashier.

withak fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 14, 2016

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Arguing about the best method for carrying out the death penalty is a lot like debating how to make rape more tolerable for the victim.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Amused to Death posted:

It takes balls to kill an innocent man

- Rick Perry

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think when pushed a lot of people will say "Yeah I can't rule out the need entirely" when it comes to the death penalty. Such as Treason in times of war; and in those cases it makes some amount of sense to make it painless as it isn't about retribution but deterrence.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

withak posted:

I don't have a good kiosk experience story to share, but I feel like most of the problems with the grocery store customer service experience could be fixed by switching to a One Big Line setup á la Trader Joe's. It minimizes congestion associated with people evaluating every line to guess the fastest one and minimizes the chance that you get stuck behind some idiot writing a check in 2016 or trying to haggle with the cashier.

When Meijer's first got self service cashier lanes they didn't register things that were too light, so there were many stolen cases of beer and handles of whiskey procured for the cost of a birthday card. WinCo has them now, but just for the 10 items or less express lanes, which makes sense.

I saw a bit on Modern Marvels or something about Fast Food places where the drive through order process was being done by a call center. Unless its only for dinner rush at a super busy store I can't see that being cost effective.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think when pushed a lot of people will say "Yeah I can't rule out the need entirely" when it comes to the death penalty. Such as Treason in times of war; and in those cases it makes some amount of sense to make it painless as it isn't about retribution but deterrence.

If it's about deterrence, shouldn't it be more logical to make it more painful?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FetusSlapper posted:

I saw a bit on Modern Marvels or something about Fast Food places where the drive through order process was being done by a call center. Unless its only for dinner rush at a super busy store I can't see that being cost effective.

If that call center was working dozens of stores I could see it work during off-peak hours.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aliquid posted:

If that call center was working dozens of stores I could see it work during off-peak hours.

I think the best use of this would be a call center handling as many stores as possible across a few time zones to spread out rushes.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Raenir Salazar posted:

The death penalty does not have a deterrence effect

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

botany posted:

The death penalty does not have a deterrence effect

I could see its deterrence in cases like treason. Also if we made election tampering a treasonable offense as being against American values it would definitely be a deterrent.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The death penalty should be strictly limited to an option that people who are convicted can themselves choose, if they don't want to deal with the rest of their life in prison or even a few years. Essentially, an option for assisted suicide.

Crowsbeak posted:

I could see its deterrence in cases like treason. Also if we made election tampering a treasonable offense as being against American values it would definitely be a deterrent.

It is intentionally extremely hard to convict someone of treason in this country, and adding electoral tampering to the list is pretty much right out.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Crowsbeak posted:

You could see this, but it's not supported by any actual data. The only sort of deterrence the death penalty has is specific deterrence. That particular person will definitely not be committing any further crimes.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It is really insane how fiscal conservatives who bitch about how the government can't be trusted will nonetheless trust the government to kill people using a process that costs more than life imprisonment.

Even if you skip the ethics for a second, it's just dumb as all gently caress.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Crowsbeak posted:

Why in that case and not the other cases where we know it's not a deterrent?

There's no reason beyond retribution for the death penalty, and that's a bad reason for the death penalty anyway.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

The death penalty should be strictly limited to an option that people who are convicted can themselves choose, if they don't want to deal with the rest of their life in prison or even a few years. Essentially, an option for assisted suicide.

It is intentionally extremely hard to convict someone of treason in this country, and adding electoral tampering to the list is pretty much right out.

Why is it right out? Why is extremism in defense of democracy at home a vice?

SquadronROE posted:

You could see this, but it's not supported by any actual data. The only sort of deterrence the death penalty has is specific deterrence. That particular person will definitely not be committing any further crimes.
Well I would be fine with banishment and confiscation of property.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Crowsbeak posted:

Well I would be fine with banishment and confiscation of property.

So, prison.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Too much potential for coercion.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

So, prison.

No I mean exile. Also anything sent to heirs or confidants is confiscated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Crowsbeak posted:

Why is it right out? Why is extremism in defense of democracy at home a vice?

Since the death penalty will always result in executions of the innocent, you should only advocate for it if you're willing to lie on the gurney first.

• Locked thread