Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You have to figure that every time a new procedural gets cancelled, some of its fans search for a show that won't be cancelled, and some of them land on Grey's as a show that, even if it were to be cancelled ASAP, already has more seasons than their last show. So even though this is a small number of people, it's cumulative, and the more shows that are cancelled, the more people come to Grey's Anatomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Paul F Tompkins sure was chubby back in his Mr Show days.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well now I'm watching Grey Gardens on Hulu.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CBS passed on that Nancy Drew show starring someone in her 30s.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

GreenNight posted:

A.k.a. Shaw from Person of Interest

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

less laughter posted:

A.k.a. Shaw from Person of Interest

Yeah I was too lazy to look up her name.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

GreenNight posted:

That's because they hated my pitch

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kirsten Bell is in her 30s. Make "Mars Investigations" happen.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Kirsten Bell is in her 30s. Make "Mars Investigations" happen.

After season 3 of Veronica Mars crashed and burned due to UPN's buyout they made a pilot that was just that, her training for the FBI. It wasn't very good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

But they made a movie after that and it was ok. Her joining the FBI didn't make sense.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

After season 3 of Veronica Mars crashed and burned due to UPN's buyout they made a pilot that was just that, her training for the FBI. It wasn't very good.

It wasn't a full pilot, it was kind of like the cold open for a season premiere, setting up the new status quo. It's on one of the DVDs.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

quote:

Meanwhile, CBS has given a green light to the other lingering question mark on its fall schedule—Katherine Heigl’s Doubt—after an extended process that saw the actress brought on when it was determined that the show’s pilot needed to be recast. The series centers on a successful female lawyer who makes the mistake of falling in love with her client, a maybe-murderer played by Mark Fuhrman impersonator and face-handed doctor Stephen Pasquale. Orange Is The New Black’s Laverne Cox is also expected to star.

I thought CBS was supposed to be the competent broadcast network.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A Katherine Heigl project in the year 2016. What could go wrong?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Katheirne Heigl is poison

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

This is a rare example of saying very little at all while also explaining everything about where ABC is today.

I read DisneyWar lately and it left me with the distinct impression that ABC has been there for about 20 years.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's never a good idea to give the keys to your programming to one person. As Shonda Rhimes and Seth MacFarlene can attest, you can get stuck in a rut and start to lose what got you on top in the first place.

sbaldrick posted:

Grey's Anatomy in its 12th season somehow has its ratings rise by a huge amount and is now ABCs highest rated show.
Wow, I guess it's not just basic white women from my college who watch that garbage soap opera.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

Wow, I guess it's not just basic white women from my college who watch that garbage soap opera.

It's basic white women from every college.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh man, this line of thought sure is cool and isn't insanely hypocritical *goes to watch the billionth genre television show where people die gruesomely*.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

We already made fun of Bones and NCIS

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

We already made fun of Bones and NCIS

You talked about something he likes so it's bad now.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Toxxupation posted:

Oh man, this line of thought sure is cool and isn't insanely hypocritical *goes to watch the billionth genre television show where people die gruesomely*.
What the gently caress is this poo poo? You want us to understand other points of view and not just sit in this echo chamber? gently caress you too dad!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is going to turn into a 2 page argument about a show that nearly nobody participating actually watches.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maxwell Lord posted:

Give Uncle Deadly his own show.

Big Mean Carl should have a show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I thought we were making fun of how people still watch a lovely show FOR TWELVE loving SEASONS, not claiming none of us watch lovely shows?

I've watched a ton of lovely shows. I've never watched a lovely a show for 12 seasons.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How many did Smallville get? I watched all of those.

But only like the last 3 on TV.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think the issue is not that people watch Grey's Anatomy, but that when it finally does check out ABC is loving screwed.

I do hold nerd shows to similar scrutiny. AMC must be praying people don't finally just get sick of The Walking Dead (though at least they've got Better Call Saul for prestige, don't know if it's a big hit.) And Smallville's longevity baffled me, they basically let it run to the point where they'd introduced every single comic book element they could EXCEPT Superman.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think the issue is not that people watch Grey's Anatomy, but that when it finally does check out ABC is loving screwed.

I do hold nerd shows to similar scrutiny. AMC must be praying people don't finally just get sick of The Walking Dead (though at least they've got Better Call Saul for prestige, don't know if it's a big hit.) And Smallville's longevity baffled me, they basically let it run to the point where they'd introduced every single comic book element they could EXCEPT Superman.

Especially since eveyr attempt at making a new smash-hit has been met with a resounding "ehh". I don't actually know anybody who watches their hacker show or their Revolutionary War spy show, much less actually enjoys it, and their kung-fu show was a wet fart on arrival. They have Preacher coming up but again I don't know anybody who actually knows or cares and online all I hear is people complaining that a guy named "assface" doesn't look appropriately rear end-like.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

their kung-fu show was a wet fart on arrival.

It was awesome though and it's getting a second season

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Aphrodite posted:

You talked about something he likes so it's bad now.

I don't watch Grey's Anatomy. I'm just not stupid enough to pretend that liking it is materially different or worse than liking TWD or The 100 or really any post-apocalyptic genre television show that bills itself under the premise that "anybody can die!", it just so happens that virtually everyone who posts in TVIV is a white male in their mid-20's so that's "acceptable".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah you're way better than them.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
How many people even made it out of Grey's Anatomy alive? I seem to remember just about every cast member from the first couple seasons besides Sandrah Oh were all pretty much killed off.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Snak posted:

No I'm actually just curious. I wasn't kidding when I said I had never heard of them being called that. I've studied quite a bit of math, and I've just never heard it.

Yeah. I know it's not correct, but it's something I started doing as a kid to be cute and so I still call them that to myself.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't watch Grey's, TWD, or The 100. Checkmate nerds. :smug:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

They have Preacher coming up but again I don't know anybody who actually knows or cares and online all I hear is people complaining that a guy named "assface" doesn't look appropriately rear end-like.

Nerd whining what a show isn't true enough to its source is a good sign in my opinion, happened for BSG, TWD, and GOT.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Snak posted:

You have to figure that every time a new procedural gets cancelled, some of its fans search for a show that won't be cancelled, and some of them land on Grey's as a show that, even if it were to be cancelled ASAP, already has more seasons than their last show. So even though this is a small number of people, it's cumulative, and the more shows that are cancelled, the more people come to Grey's Anatomy.

I just happened to flip to Greys during the Massacre season finale episode and even though I'm not particularly invested in any of the characters, I haven't missed an episode yet...I can't explain why though.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

NBC's fall schedule was released

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/731884461793546241

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snak posted:

Fine.

But they did a good job of pissing me off all season.

This better not be like the time that they said "Pursuit of Happyness" was explained in the movie.

Did you get this infuriated about "Son of Rambow"?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Did you get this infuriated about "Son of Rambow"?

I didn't realize I needed to defend the perfectly natural reaction to words being used wrong repeatedly?

Also, Son of Rambow is spelled that why because they don't have the rights to use "Rambo" in their movie title. Why would I get mad at that?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

Nerd whining what a show isn't true enough to its source is a good sign in my opinion, happened for BSG, TWD, and GOT.

But it happens for every adaptation, the good ones and the bad ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snak posted:

I didn't realize I needed to defend the perfectly natural reaction to words being used wrong repeatedly?

Also, Son of Rambow is spelled that why because they don't have the rights to use "Rambo" in their movie title. Why would I get mad at that?

It's named that way because it's about a bunch of kids making their own Rambo movie. Just like The Pursuit of Happyness is spelled that way because of the way a kid wrote it on a wall in that movie.

Guy Mann posted:

Buyout? Veronica Mars was on UPN / CW for its entire run.

• Locked thread