Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BBJoey posted:

actually, the dlcs wiz made for eu4 were the best, and immediately after he stopped being team lead paradox poo poo out mare nostrum which sucks rear end (maybe they fixed it in 1.17 idk)

He also didn't work on estates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remember when he stopped working on CK2 and awful poo poo like tribes immediately came out

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Wiz and the [most attractive/only] woman at Paradox claim credit for Stellaris's AI, which would be grounds for a double execution in a just society.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

at the date posted:

Wiz and the [most attractive/only] woman at Paradox claim credit for Stellaris's AI, which would be grounds for a double execution in a just society.

You're retarded.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stellaris has great AI for a 1.0 Paradox game.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Larry Parrish posted:

Stellaris has great AI for a 1.0 Paradox game.

You may be right. (1) I've never played a Paradox map game at release before. (2) AI in a freeform map game must be awfully complicated. (3) I am not a programmer. BUT sector management, for example, should be a simple priority list. Don't put slaves on research tiles. Don't ever replace buildings with farms when there's a huge food surplus, but especially not when the "don't replace buildings" box is checked. Build stations once in a while.

AI is not my biggest issue, though. There's also a lot of stuff that I know came stock in previous games that Stellaris is glaringly missing, like map filters, right-click-to-interact diplomacy, alert settings, and certain levels of automation or "batch" orders for repetitive tasks like exploration, salvaging, patrolling, whatever.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

at the date posted:

You may be right. (1) I've never played a Paradox map game at release before. (2) AI in a freeform map game must be awfully complicated. (3) I am not a programmer. BUT sector management, for example, should be a simple priority list. Don't put slaves on research tiles. Don't ever replace buildings with farms when there's a huge food surplus, but especially not when the "don't replace buildings" box is checked. Build stations once in a while.

AI is not my biggest issue, though. There's also a lot of stuff that I know came stock in previous games that Stellaris is glaringly missing, like map filters, right-click-to-interact diplomacy, alert settings, and certain levels of automation or "batch" orders for repetitive tasks like exploration, salvaging, patrolling, whatever.

Those things didn't come stock. Except for map filters and alert settings, all that stuff is added by patches to base CK2 and EU4. As far as map filters go, Stellaris doesn't really have a map that you can easily filter like a typical Clausewitz map but I'm confident they'll eventually figure out a good way to do it

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Larry Parrish posted:

Those things didn't come stock. Except for map filters and alert settings, all that stuff is added by patches to base CK2 and EU4. As far as map filters go, Stellaris doesn't really have a map that you can easily filter like a typical Clausewitz map but I'm confident they'll eventually figure out a good way to do it

The most obvious filters are all those little icons around systems—why can't you isolate icons by type? I hate having to do poo poo like hunt for anomalies in a 1000-system galaxy like Where's Waldo, or keep manually scanning my own space for tiny resource numbers that are white instead of yellow. And why can't you just see who's at war with you, or who's in an alliance or federation together?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'm gonna eat dinner and then I'll be around to play the Stellaris MP again.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
https://twitter.com/RowanKaiser/status/731788343353057280

lmao

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm always down to play EU4 MP. Dont have stellaris yet though lol

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Rofl classic

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

I'm gonna eat dinner and then I'll be around to play the Stellaris MP again.

hit me up on Steam

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
We are waiting for you Stairmaster, in teh test chamber.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I wish they had copied the build filter from EU4 so i didn't have to click through to every spaceport

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao that owns

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

staying up too late to play stellaris as the Great Race of Yith. I fuckin love this game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Bolverkur posted:

staying up too late to play stellaris as the Great Race of Yith. I fuckin love this game.

You should join our multi

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'm addicted to multiplayer Stellaris

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
this game is awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
It's also cool that movement options dramatically change how you play but idk why anybody would ever play with warp.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the movement options need more variety

much like the rest of this game...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Notice my blue 7K fleet that's almost twice the size of IT's :grin:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

not pictured: my 72 ship fleet that still had less mp than that

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

It's also cool that movement options dramatically change how you play but idk why anybody would ever play with warp.

Basically Warp starts horrible and gets amazing, hyperlanes start amazing and end up bad when most of the map is covered in military stations at your choke points (other FTL techs can research a thing that shows the hyperlanes, so they can build defences to trap you), and wormholes are amazingly good at all parts of the game but are super vulnerable to raiding

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Larry Parrish posted:

Notice my blue 7K fleet that's almost twice the size of IT's :grin:

Salty Larry has issued an insult against In Training, which will negatively affect their diplomatic relationships.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

has anyone in the history of this game actually researched the amoeba fighters

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

has anyone in the history of this game actually researched the amoeba fighters

They are extremely powerful compared to the first tier or two of regular fighters. I use them extensively in all my SP games because I think carriers are cool

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

slowly building towards a south american port so when the race for africa triggers and europe's all bitching at eachother i can seize the south american colonies

america is currently #3 in the world

i also built the panama canal

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

How is Distant Worlds? It's on sale at humblestore although it looks like it's been cheaper

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fozzy fosbourne posted:

How is Distant Worlds? It's on sale at humblestore although it looks like it's been cheaper

It's pretty amazing IMO. There's this huge spergy resource system that in any other game would be a PITA, but civilian ships automatically move them to where they are needed for you. But this means you can annihilate your enemys economy by raiding behind lines to attack freighters and stuff. It basically plays itself at default settings and you're supposed to gradually turn that stuff off once you know what you're doing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Dev diary about Stellaris patch plans https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads%2Fstellaris-dev-diary-33-the-maiden-voyage.932668%2F

1.1 coming at "the end of May" and will be tweaking ship UI and improving the sector AI.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I havent completed my first game of Stellaris yet.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
It took me 3 years to actually finish a game of EU4

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tumor looking batty posted:

im gonna hhold off until the patch nd play dishonored and armored core until then

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It's the best 4x ever made.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tumor looking batty posted:

Same I am waiting for the weekend

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

Dev diary about Stellaris patch plans https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads%2Fstellaris-dev-diary-33-the-maiden-voyage.932668%2F

1.1 coming at "the end of May" and will be tweaking ship UI and improving the sector AI.

"Border Access Revision: Borders are now open to your ships by default, although empires can choose to Close their borders for another empire (lowering your relations, of course.)"

This alone will make the game 1000x better.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

"Border Access Revision: Borders are now open to your ships by default, although empires can choose to Close their borders for another empire (lowering your relations, of course.)"

thnk loving christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Wormhole ships are going to be insanely OP.