Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haha sometime between now and yesterday they disabled ratings and comments on that video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

c0burn posted:

Making some visible weapons using your stuff in my mod.

Cool, I made a shotgun world model also:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/z37160mf1rvjmaf/g_shot_new.mdl

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

CJacobs posted:

Haha sometime between now and yesterday they disabled ratings and comments on that video

Yeah they disabled comments back on Friday, which is impressive because it was up for barely any time at that point.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

So what's the difference between the difficulties in Doom 4? Is it just more difficult enemy arrangements, or are they gonna individually suck up a bunch more ammo too?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

GlitchThief posted:

So what's the difference between the difficulties in Doom 4? Is it just more difficult enemy arrangements, or are they gonna individually suck up a bunch more ammo too?

It seems the main difference is damage done and possibly aggression. I thought it changed enemy placement, but on a double-check it doesn't seem to vary much if at all. Hard to keep track due to how dynamic and random the fights end up.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

GlitchThief posted:

Ultra-violence is a bit easy. Nightmare is a bit too hard. Play on UV first is what I'd recommend. I don't believe there is a difference in ammo count and damage dealt between difficulties.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah they disabled comments back on Friday, which is impressive because it was up for barely any time at that point.

Somebody archived the comments, which are almost universally negative as you might expect. There were a couple guys in there who seemed sincere in saying that the game hadn't even been released for long so you can't be too hard on the player, as if console FPS controls are some new invention.

I'm surprised Polygon is keeping that video up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are a couple more episodes of that series, I haven't watched them but I wonder if they got somebody else to play.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Samuel Clemens posted:

I wasn't a big fan of map 22 either, but I do like its ammo balance. On pistol start, it seems like you have just barely enough bullets to deal with the hordes as long as you don't miss many shots. It adds an additional layer of strategy to the map, making it very tense in parts.

I'd say the maps after 22 are a bit easier again, though the Archvile abuse definitely gets pretty bad. Map 23 in particular has one area just before the end that killed me more than anything else in the wad.

I've just started opening the console and typing kill archvile the moment I begin a new map. I'm getting pretty tired of it to be honest. It was so good up until map 22 and then it just became an unfun slog :(

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Buca di Bepis posted:

as if console FPS controls are some new invention.

It doesn't seem like new Doom has auto-aim tbf

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It doesn't seem like new Doom has auto-aim tbf

I think it's an option if you have a controller. On PC at least.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

GlitchThief posted:

I'm hearing rumours that monsters have difficulty-specific behaviours, like Imps leading their fireballs and bosses having additional gently caress-you attacks... Dunno if that's true though, I'm playing on HMP.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I don't know about imps leading their shots, but I will say they are fantastic snipers.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

As someone else said, the security guys with shields are the biggest assholes since they'll block anything but a direct gauss cannon hit and BFG. Imps are cool dudes that will run away from you and if you pursue them, you might be facing a mancubus. The little bastards like to hide behind big ones and snipe you.

Enemy behavior in this game is great and the constant weapon rotation too.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

There's already a speedrun of DO4M :monocle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BUiit8hkeA

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Guillermus posted:

As someone else said, the security guys with shields are the biggest assholes since they'll block anything but a direct gauss cannon hit and BFG.
Security guys became a whole lot easier for me when I figured out that a few explosives at their feet will put them right out.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

The Kins posted:

I'm hearing rumours that monsters have difficulty-specific behaviours, like Imps leading their fireballs and bosses having additional gently caress-you attacks... Dunno if that's true though, I'm playing on HMP.

Theyre very accurate but don't lead their shots on UV. Honestly that one change would make the game about twice as difficult because pretty much every fight where you have to dodge baron and mancubus shots and so on theres at least 3 or 4 imps running about slinging fireballs at you the whole time.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Decided to take a peak into SnapMap to see what options there are for weapons, while I knew that Pistols and possibly the Chainsaw were missing in action, it's interesting to see how they handled weapons with mods, they treat each mod(and the weapon by itself without any mods) as a separate gun entirely, although a couple mods are missing, like the lock-on burst for the Rocket Launcher, and the Tri Turret for the Chaingun, hopefully they'll be added in future updates/expansions to SnapMap

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LogicalFallacy posted:

Security guys became a whole lot easier for me when I figured out that a few explosives at their feet will put them right out.

Plasma Rifle stun shots also do wonders on them if you don't feel like using the Gauss Cannon on them

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I'm having a blast but it feels a bit buggy. I'm getting CTDs every hour or so and during the bit when Olivia jumps into the portal/energy beam/whatever and causes an explosion my entire system locked up, appropriately enough.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just can't get the Shambler HD model to work with Quakespasm :(

I've put the prog/ folder in the id1/ folder, which should override the original .pak files, but it's still just the same old Shambler, shamblin' around. I have literally no idea why it's not loading.

I'm running the latest SVN version of Quakespasm on Linux.

Anyone have this same issue?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 16, 2016

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

HD Shambler, y'say? Are there any tuned-up monster model packs for vanilla/spasm Quake? Links please! Last I checked, the only HD models/textures were for Darkplaces, which is lagging behind quite a lot in terms of support.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 16, 2016

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Guillermus posted:

the security guys with shields are the biggest assholes since they'll block anything but a direct gauss cannon hit and BFG.

That's what the chainsaw button is for :black101:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dominic White posted:

HD Shambler, y'say? Are there any tuned-up monster model packs for vanilla/spasm Quake? Links please! Last I checked, the only HD models/textures were for Darkplaces, which is lagging behind quite a lot in terms of support.

It's this one:

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod-releases/finished-works/12003-shambler-hd-remake-released.html

And it looks so great, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIikukPw9f4

Shadow Warrior 2 is looking pretty fun. The guns actually look and sound solid, this time.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 16, 2016

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

"Too Young to Die." What the gently caress? Is this how speedruns are normally done?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GlitchThief posted:

"Too Young to Die." What the gently caress? Is this how speedruns are normally done?

There are usually different tiers for each difficulty for most games.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

DraQu also posted a video of him completing Ultra Nightmare in 5h17min, so I guess he will be making more proper speedruns on high diff levels.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

CJacobs posted:

ah okay, this makes more sense.

laserghost posted:

DraQu also posted a video of him completing Ultra Nightmare in 5h17min, so I guess he will be making more proper speedruns on high diff levels.

I'm watching this right now and it's goddamn impressive. I am envious of his skill.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

KozmoNaut posted:

I've put the prog/ folder in the id1/ folder, which should override the original .pak files, but it's still just the same old Shambler, shamblin' around. I have literally no idea why it's not loading.

I'm running the latest SVN version of Quakespasm on Linux.

Anyone have this same issue?

I think spasm only supports loading models from pak files, use pakscape or something similar.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

GlitchThief posted:

Most games have lots of different categories but the big ones kind of coalesce around higher skill levels. For Doom the big ones are UV-Max (UV with 100% kills and secrets) and UV-Speed (UH but kills etc doesn't matter). I'd imagine that the big Doom 4 speedruns will be done on UV.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Mak0rz posted:

I've just started opening the console and typing kill archvile the moment I begin a new map. I'm getting pretty tired of it to be honest. It was so good up until map 22 and then it just became an unfun slog :(

I just stopped playing around that point. It got really predictable. Hit switch, get archvile. Pick up key, get archvile. The fact that they can res enemies from within their closets is a huge pain in the rear end too. You just shot an enemy near an unsuspecting wall? Well, he's back.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SavageMessiah posted:

I just stopped playing around that point. It got really predictable. Hit switch, get archvile. Pick up key, get archvile. The fact that they can res enemies from within their closets is a huge pain in the rear end too. You just shot an enemy near an unsuspecting wall? Well, he's back.

Yeah, rf1024 is kind of different from all other 1024 wads I've played in that the monster closets are also contained within the 1024-unit limit. The archvile shenanigans you mentioned is one side-effect of that. The other wads tend to have a ton of monster closets outside of the playing area and sometimes turn into mini slaughtermaps as a result.

I can see it getting used in a clever way like keeping imps/barons/knights in cages to snipe you and have them become resurrected if you kill them (and never releasing the archvile). rf never uses them in this way, though.

Edit: I feel like modifying archviles so they never attack (just resurrect) would lead to interesting map designs too.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 16, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

loga mira posted:

I think spasm only supports loading models from pak files, use pakscape or something similar.

That did the trick, thanks! :)

I actually had to double check on the first shambler I saw in-game, the model is so spot-on for the art style, it just fits perfectly. A new player would have absolutely no idea that it wasn't the original model. I hope he tightens up the other enemies in the same way, too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

CJacobs posted:

It depends on the game though. For instance I think Half-Life 2 is almost exclusively done on Easy because the only change is enemies doing more damage and it leads to fewer speed tricks -- in other words, a less fun run.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I think Quake runs are typically either done on Easy or Nightmare. Not much new to be seen by doing the in-between difficulties.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

SavageMessiah posted:

I'd recommend playing through maps 30 and 33 at least. Both are genuinely fun and comparatively light on the Archvile spam.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

It depends on the game though. For instance I think Half-Life 2 is almost exclusively done on Easy because the only change is enemies doing more damage and it leads to fewer speed tricks -- in other words, a less fun run.
Every speed game will always have multiple categories, sometimes with pretty arbitrary definitions. The community usually gravitates towards the one that is most fun.

Something like Doom, low difficulty may technically be the fastest, but its more boring and has less display of skill than UA.

With half life, low difficulty is faster, but the ability to do more tricks actually makes it harder and a better display of skill.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Buca di Bepis posted:

Somebody archived the comments, which are almost universally negative as you might expect. There were a couple guys in there who seemed sincere in saying that the game hadn't even been released for long so you can't be too hard on the player, as if console FPS controls are some new invention.

I'm surprised Polygon is keeping that video up.

Polygon is just a bunch of weird hipster journalists who couldn't hack it so they feign interest in games in order to have an audience that will read their poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwg6RTjCH7g

That is a real polygon video, (with comments disabled of course) that for absolutely no reason they keep up. I don't know why. :psyduck: Its so loving stupid. If I made that video I'd be so embarrassed and I'd push to have it scrubbed from the internet lest somebody see it.

This polygon journalist actually scares the poo poo out of himself just thinking about guns. He starts rambling about insane political poo poo that nobody gives a gently caress about, and sounds like goddamn Droopy the dog.

"A bloo bloo bloo, the gun can still have a bullet in the chamber after you remove the magazine?! I didn't know that!!!! that's terrifying!!!! A bloo bloo blooo" :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Things worth watching on Polygon:

-Anything with Justin and/or Griffin McElroy
-
-