Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Overlord K posted:

I'm mainly curious if depending on which sister he gives attention to, it'll be the opposite who ends up coming after him for whatever reason it is.

Ooo ouch, that could work, especially if this is a series wherein it has a lot of loops.

But I'm pretty sure its been set up that only one of the two girls is a little off, and the other one is looking out for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I love shows that seem to mirror the speculation of the watching threads, it really makes us engaged and invested.

Odds on MC dying right then and there? He's surprised by it being Rem, so he might drop his guard because tropes demand it; but mainly because the last arc seemed to clearly point out that in order to survive he needs to have his support network there with him and he doesn't have that here, Emilia isn't there with him and neither is the magic girl.

On the other hand if there's a moment to bring out all of his knowledge and turn it around, it's now.

That's one reason that I enjoyed Person of Interest for so long. I would bitch about something that I thought was stupid on a forum, and they would address it in the very next episode.

ReZero: He's not going to survive, but he's going to learn something important that he can use to influence the next iteration, is my guess. He's literally backed into a corner, and he's not going to be able to talk down the person that shot a cannonball at him with nary a word. But he might be able to delay it a bit longer, or learn what triggered her ire.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Kytrarewn posted:

ReZero: shot a cannonball

Swung a morning star, actually. You can see the handle in one shot.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Just throwing around a massive flail like it's nothing. Definitely waifu of the year material. Subaru is probably dead again on this loop, he just needs to work on extracting as much information as possible about this situation. Who wants him dead? Is it just the maid, or is she working on Roswaal's orders? Is this a grudge, or are there going to be other victims, etc etc.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
A good question is whether they were going to kill him as he got farther away too or if him doubling back is what got him.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

LostRook posted:

Swung a morning star, actually. You can see the handle in one shot.

Yes, I'm aware, but I thought that that saying morningstar rather understated the weight and violence of the projectile and the range from which it was handled.

That being the case, I could have put that more clearly.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
This week's webisode is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCYljBAf4xE

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this show is pretty okay so far

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Another strong episode today. This show is surprisingly good now, given how poor the pacing was in the first episode.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Not sure I understand what's going on at this point.

First off, it's quite apparent that even though Subaru saved Emilia, he's still highly suspect among the people she lives with -- except for the library guardian. Also, apparently Subaru "smells" like some witch that everyone either hates or fears. From this episode, it appears Subaru and said witch are linked. It's very likely she's the one that brought Subaru to this world and is giving him the "reset" ability. Said witch is quite powerful and also keeping Subaru from spilling the beans on his resets.

But, that's about all I can tell. I don't quite understand what Subaru decided to do (obviously, he's committing suicide to reset but why?) at the end of this episode or how his decision is going to do whatever he expects it to do. I don't see how he can gain their trust. Seems like a lost cause to me.

The reasonable thing to do would be to ask for a few gold coins (and some silver and copper too, while your'e at it) from the head of the household as a reward and skeedaddle out of there and find a job somewhere far, far away from these crazies.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Dan7el posted:

Not sure I understand what's going on at this point.

First off, it's quite apparent that even though Subaru saved Emilia, he's still highly suspect among the people she lives with -- except for the library guardian. Also, apparently Subaru "smells" like some witch that everyone either hates or fears. From this episode, it appears Subaru and said witch are linked. It's very likely she's the one that brought Subaru to this world and is giving him the "reset" ability. Said witch is quite powerful and also keeping Subaru from spilling the beans on his resets.

But, that's about all I can tell. I don't quite understand what Subaru decided to do (obviously, he's committing suicide to reset but why?) at the end of this episode or how his decision is going to do whatever he expects it to do. I don't see how he can gain their trust. Seems like a lost cause to me.

The reasonable thing to do would be to ask for a few gold coins (and some silver and copper too, while your'e at it) from the head of the household as a reward and skeedaddle out of there and find a job somewhere far, far away from these crazies.

This episode, he determined what the "bad end" looks like if he does nothing, which he finds completely unacceptable. He resets because he legit wants to change it, which is one of the first big, thoughtful decisions he's made the entire show. At this point, he probably has enough information about the various social forces in play that he can at the very least start trying to make things better. He's not going to do something so self-serving as just running away now, since he now knows what happens if he's not the one who gets hit by the curse. Choosing to do this is actually a big character development moment for him, which the show literally calls out by having him monologue about it, because now he has something that he wants to do besides just date Emilia and peel vegetables.

I'm really glad they explicitly shot down the "why doesn't he tell someone and get help" thread, and I'm really glad that Subaru had a mental breakdown under the strain. The writing is getting good.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Man, the little bit of music that played when he tried to tell Emilia about dying and resetting is so good.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

With one of the new pieces of information revealed this time, I wonder if Emilia's actions in episode 1 get a new meaning. She tells him to call her the name of the witch. If we assume he already had the witch's smell at that point, and Emilia can detect/recognize it, that might have been intended as a test from her? When he has no reaction in particular and just assumes that really is her name, it would mean he probably isn't (consciously) affiliated with the witch, which then allows Emilia trust him. No idea if this makes sense.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'll just say again that i really like how death isn't treated as an uncomfortable side effect of getting his time-looping on and min-maxing his life like in most nerd fantasies (which all LNs are, let's not kid ourselves), but as an actual gruesome source of PTSD.

Not sure what's the significance of that scene where he has nightmares and then they suddenly stop (or something stops them) and he rests easy.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I gotta admit, I'm kind of losing interest in the show at this point. There's clearly some thought put into the death reset premise, but with this arc, I feel like the premise alone doesn't carry it well enough any more. Which is my roundabout way of saying I dislike all the newly introduced characters and the stupid poo poo they get up to. Oh well. Maybe I'll check back later with less insufferable fellows around...? :shrug:

Gotta say, though, I got a chuckle out of "If you had let me kill you instantly, you would've died painlessly" followed by "I can't interrogate you if you die right away!".

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

HenryEx posted:

Not sure what's the significance of that scene where he has nightmares and then they suddenly stop (or something stops them) and he rests easy.

Isn't that explained at the end? The maids held his hands, letting him sleep calmly or something? Just took him a while to realize it?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Dying is still gruesome and that's a good thing!

All of those souls Subaru collected that he keeps losing :(

This is quite the mystery, if it's the Jealous Witch, why bring him? Why let him advance in increments? Subaru seems obsessed with helping Emilia so the only thing I can think of is Emilia succeeding helps the Witch in some way.

Other bits of info:
-There's a dragon that's contractually obligated to help the Kingdom, but only with the ruling family; which may be the orphan thief girl.
-The Demon girls dying may also either be something the Witch doesn't want, or simply a means of motivating Subaru.

Beatrice is a cool person, I can't decide if the magic about her hidden pocket dimension lets her know more than she lets on.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Man, the Jealous Witch really cranked up the game difficulty after the tutorial mission, that's for sure. I like this show more after every episode

Well, it was already speculated after Subaru's second death that he had been poisoned somehow, and that somehow the village may have been the cause of it (Since the Shaman doesn't appear to be anyone at the mansion at least.) Since Rem is the one who goes out to buy groceries, it kiiiinda makes sense that the Shaman or whatever may have targeted her with the curse in the absence of Subaru.

OTOH, it's been like 4 episodes now focused on the four new characters, would be a little weird to have someone largely or entirely ignored so far be the culprit.

As for the maids, I wonder if it's possible to navigate that tightrope by treating them equally at all times or if that will just get him double murdered. As opposed to ignoring them entirely I mean, he already tried that this episode.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Something no one has commented on yet; so we know Ram has the telekinesis wind attack and Rem has the giant's strength; and that each time he's died awake the two of them in one way or another cooperated to kill him. Removing his arm the first time, and then getting his leg/slicing his throat the last time.

madmac posted:

Man, the Jealous Witch really cranked up the game difficulty after the tutorial mission, that's for sure. I like this show more after every episode

Well, it was already speculated after Subaru's second death that he had been poisoned somehow, and that somehow the village may have been the cause of it (Since the Shaman doesn't appear to be anyone at the mansion at least.) Since Rem is the one who goes out to buy groceries, it kiiiinda makes sense that the Shaman or whatever may have targeted her with the curse in the absence of Subaru.

OTOH, it's been like 4 episodes now focused on the four new characters, would be a little weird to have someone largely or entirely ignored so far be the culprit.

Huh, maybe Rem gets bitten instead if Subaru doesn't leave? That could satisfy some of the "Rules" about a mystery.

quote:

As for the maids, I wonder if it's possible to navigate that tightrope by treating them equally at all times or if that will just get him double murdered. As opposed to ignoring them entirely I mean, he already tried that this episode.

Heh. Isn't that the key to that one rare Bad End in Fate/Stay Night?

e:

Great AV material this ep, I can't seem to get the imgur link to the Drills being pulled gif to work.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 16, 2016

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

This arc definitely feels like it's slowed down compared to the first one. Personally I think it's because the first arc established a clear end point and the trouble was getting there while averting the finale. The way this arc has played out, events aren't playing out in as predictable a manner and Subaru's death is coming from unexpected angles, not just the curse.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

madmac posted:

I'm taking a wild guess and saying that the curse has something to do with being affected by the Jelous Witch, that would offer a neat explanation why the curse hits Subaru if he's present and one of the sisters if he isn't.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

worth it
http://i.imgur.com/SXlpPjh.mp4

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I've been watching this with some dudes and am enjoying it but it's getting to me and I'm trying to figure it out. It seems like there's a puzzle or possibly some significance to the end title screens as they always highlight a specific word in every one. I went back and copied it down and now it just seems like there's a translation error or I'm looking for something that isn't there. I was wondering if anyone knew what this said in Japanese as the English translation (far as the subs go at least) is

"Begin Witch Another Happy Promise of Chains Re"

I put them in episode order left to right. I don't speak or read Japanese so I wasn't sure about how to order them so I figured that was the simplest way to do it.

Here's what I wrote down:

code:
Episode 1: Begin - Grey color
"The End of the Beginning and the Beginning of the End"

Episode 2: Witch - Orange color
"Reunion with the Witch"

Episode 3: Another - Red color
"Starting Life from Zero in Another World

Episode 4: Happy - Blue color
"The Happy Roswaal Mansion Family are gone"

Episode 5: Promise - Teal, Pale Blue color
"The Morning of Our Promise is Still Distant"

Episode 6: of Chains - Pink
"The Sound of Chains"

Episode 7: Re - Yellow
"Natsuki Subaru's Restart"
It's probably just a style thing or is just a hint to the next episode's theme but I just noticed it and since I don't read Japanese I can't tell if I'm missing anything or if nothing's there. I'm going to keep doing it just in case and because it's not hard to take a screenshot, crop and tack it onto the end of the row there and copy down that info.

If there's a way the kanji is supposed to be arranged then I'd love to know and I'll rearrange it and all that.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 16, 2016

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

Cowman posted:

I've been watching this with some dudes and am enjoying it but it's getting to me and I'm trying to figure it out. It seems like there's a puzzle or possibly some significance to the end title screens as they always highlight a specific word in every one. I went back and copied it down and now it just seems like there's a translation error or I'm looking for something that isn't there. I was wondering if anyone knew what this said in Japanese as the English translation (far as the subs go at least) is

"Begin Witch Another Happy Promise of Chains Re"

I put them in episode order left to right. I don't speak or read Japanese so I wasn't sure about how to order them so I figured that was the simplest way to do it.

Here's what I wrote down:

code:
Episode 1: Begin - Grey color
"The End of the Beginning and the Beginning of the End"

Episode 2: Witch - Orange color
"Reunion with the Witch"

Episode 3: Another - Red color
"Starting Life from Zero in Another World

Episode 4: Happy - Blue color
"The Happy Roswaal Mansion Family are gone"

Episode 5: Promise - Teal, Pale Blue color
"The Morning of Our Promise is Still Distant"

Episode 6: of Chains - Pink
"The Sound of Chains"

Episode 7: Re - Yellow
"Natsuki Subaru's Restart"
It's probably just a style thing or is just a hint to the next episode's theme but I just noticed it and since I don't read Japanese I can't tell if I'm missing anything or if nothing's there. I'm going to keep doing it just in case and because it's not hard to take a screenshot, crop and tack it onto the end of the row there and copy down that info.

If there's a way the kanji is supposed to be arranged then I'd love to know and I'll rearrange it and all that.

Seems like for half of these, it's only highlighting one of two halves of the word, and only one letter of the katakana in ep 7/s title preview. Seems strange, hope it leads somewhere. Maybe someone who knows more than me *which really isn't too much* can pick up on something here.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
One thing I just found out that I think is funny is that apparently on Reddit they nicknamed Subaru "Car-kun/Car-MC/Best Car" or something around those lines; the car puns are pretty funny. :)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lol this goofball is awfully loyal to a couple loonies that have gruesomely murdered him multiple times and admitted to hating him all along what the gently caress

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

lol this goofball is awfully loyal to a couple loonies that have gruesomely murdered him multiple times and admitted to hating him all along what the gently caress

Repeated death induced PTSD had made him weird and clingy.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
MOE > Death

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
One maid dead. Good

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I feel like this anime was meant to target people like me, because I'm so curious about what'll happen that I want to buy and read the volumes.

I'm the kind of person they make anime adaptations for. This month alone I've bought Dagashi Kashi, Flying Witch, and Tanaka. I bought 5 volumes of Devil is a Part Timer I haven't read because of the anime. Same for Rokka, though I've actually read 4 of the 5 volumes.

This poo poo works.

Super No Vacancy posted:

Yeah I find it really weird how he's willing to talk about how kind they are when they're responsible for at least 2 of his deaths.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

like if they had offered a better justification for murdering him as painfully as possible then maybe I could see him wanting to optimize the route. but no she basically morningstarred the poo poo out of him because he intrinsically smells like the witch and she doesnt trust him. she doesnt even trust him to LEAVE lmao. and he's still like well maybe next time she won't hate me from the jump and splatter my innards all over the fuckin place on a whim. she does seem pretty sad and about to kill me AGAIN because someone else killed her sister. well lets subject myself to another painful death to find out. dumbass

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

like if they had offered a better justification for murdering him as painfully as possible then maybe I could see him wanting to optimize the route. but no she basically morningstarred the poo poo out of him because he intrinsically smells like the witch and she doesnt trust him. she doesnt even trust him to LEAVE lmao. and he's still like well maybe next time she won't hate me from the jump and splatter my innards all over the fuckin place on a whim. stupidddddddddddddddddddddd

Welllll, he didn't leave is the thing. He said he was leaving, then she found him lurking around near the mansion watching it. If she was already suspicious as hell of him and his witch stank that basically confirmed her suspicious.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Things to keep in mind:

- Dude was a lonely, closed-off shut-in in the real world.
- He doesn't really have anywhere else to go.
- Emilia is with these people, trusts them, and getting away from them means getting away from her too.
- Somebody else poisoned/cursed him, and later poisoned blue-haired maid, and he still doesn't know why.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he should go back to the slums and hang out with the thief girl and the fence they were much cooler

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I feel like this anime was meant to target people like me, because I'm so curious about what'll happen that I want to buy and read the volumes.

I'm the kind of person they make anime adaptations for. This month alone I've bought Dagashi Kashi, Flying Witch, and Tanaka. I bought 5 volumes of Devil is a Part Timer I haven't read because of the anime. Same for Rokka, though I've actually read 4 of the 5 volumes.

This poo poo works.

Same here.

I bought the first 3 volumes and just finished the first one. So far, the anime has stuck really closely to the source material. So far the only important changes were that the epilogue (Subaru is knocked out, Emilia talks with Reinhart) was a bit longer.
Also all scenes of Subaru dying are kind of :gonk: with him describing how he can slowly feel his life fading, his organs and senses shutting down one by one until he finally dies. Abusing his death-reset-ability really isn't an option with how horrible dying feels, so his decision in the current episode is kind of a big thing.

Super No Vacancy posted:

he should go back to the slums and hang out with the thief girl and the fence they were much cooler

Thief girl is with the knight now.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Tamba posted:

I bought the first 3 volumes and just finished the first one.

You know the whole thing (and 4x more than the paper version) is available for free at http://ncode.syosetu.com/n2267be/ right? I mean, you'd miss out on the illustrations, I guess.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
This kid is not as clever or funny as Bill Murray

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

darkgray posted:

You know the whole thing (and 4x more than the paper version) is available for free at http://ncode.syosetu.com/n2267be/ right? I mean, you'd miss out on the illustrations, I guess.

I know, the author even mentions it in his afterword.
But I also bought the Log Horizon and Kumoko novels even though all of them are available on Narou.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

this is why Subaru is going to have a harem and you don't. He's got the right attitude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Cake Attack posted:

this is why Subaru is going to have a harem and you don't. He's got the right attitude

These goons who hate this show and the MC, yet still watch it and read/post in this thread have the right attitude. they just apply towards being angry on the internet instead of moe

• Locked thread