Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
A lot of good stuff in this episode. As a designer, I loved the interactions between Richard and the product design guy, the show nailed both sides of that dynamic. Bighead continues to be an inspiration to us all, it's obvious that one of his incubees is going to turn into a unicorn and I can't wait for it to happen. Action Jack being taken down by the same single-mindedness and arrogance that were his assets is great and I think he "exited" at the perfect time before the Richard-Jack power struggle became too drawn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I also loved how whenever RIchard referenced some aspect of Jack's diagram, Jack would only understand the meaning of the word in regards to the diagram.

"I think what we should do is take a little tip from your chart there, compromise."
"Compromise is the shared hypotenuse of the conjoined triangles of success."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

Acquit doesn't even make sense. Why was that even a theory.

The best part, the best part, was that several goons rewound and reached it, people put it on youtube, and even screen capped the subtitles, and there were still people that didn't give up the ghost. Though my favorite office bullshit was whether the cheese balls were CG'd or not. It wasn't a huge derail/debate, but the shear anger of the people claiming it had to be CG was, no pun intended, delicious. Also the salt on cars. And if it was a bike chain or bungee cord. And if Angela lying about the parentage of her kid was funny or not. And Team Karen/Pam....I miss the old Office threads.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
This ep just reminded me how much I think the show is stronger when we see the cast succeed rather than fail. I got legit swept up in their excitement at the part where they got actually invested in The Box, and the revelation that Gavin Belson had put a price on The Platform.

Like you have to see them struggle, sure, episode-by-episode. The little failures make the comedy. But seeing them overcome and take steps forward is honestly the most satisfying element of the show, far moreso than when they get stuck spinning their wheels for supposedly comic effect. (Though the end of last week was funny enough to work - and I was a little sad the conspiracy theories didn't pan out because people got so hilariously angry about it.)

edit: I've always loved the sitcom episodes where there's a "project" of sorts (like when Frasier and Niles started a restaurant) and this show has always been doing a longform version of that. Never been good at putting this into words, but I bet there's a TV Tropes page for it out there somewhere.

movax posted:

I'm watching this again and Thomas / Amanda / Kumail cannot keep straight faces when Ehrlich's coughing like crazy, I wonder if the scene called for some coughing and TJ Miller just loving improv'd that poo poo.
I thought that was just because they were super happy to realise they'd won.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 16, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

The best part, the best part, was that several goons rewound and reached it, people put it on youtube, and even screen capped the subtitles, and there were still people that didn't give up the ghost. Though my favorite office bullshit was whether the cheese balls were CG'd or not. It wasn't a huge derail/debate, but the shear anger of the people claiming it had to be CG was, no pun intended, delicious. Also the salt on cars. And if it was a bike chain or bungee cord. And if Angela lying about the parentage of her kid was funny or not. And Team Karen/Pam....I miss the old Office threads.

So I should be glad I wasn't really into SA when office was a thing. However it is my favorite show ever and I'm on my 6th re-watch.

VagueRant posted:

This ep just reminded me how much I think the show is stronger when we see the cast succeed rather than fail. I got legit swept up in their excitement at the part where they got actually invested in The Box, and the revelation that Gavin Belson had put a price on The Platform.

Like you have to see them struggle, sure, episode-by-episode. The little failures make the comedy. But seeing them overcome and take steps forward is honestly the most satisfying element of the show, far moreso than when they get stuck spinning their wheels for supposedly comic effect. (Though the end of last week was funny enough to work - and I was a little sad the conspiracy theories didn't pan out because people got so hilariously angry about it.)

edit: I've always loved the sitcom episodes where there's a "project" of sorts (like when Frasier and Niles started a restaurant) and this show has always been doing a longform version of that. Never been good at putting this into words, but I bet there's a TV Tropes page for it out there somewhere.

Same. I did an out loud "oh poo poo gently caress YES!" When Monica started doing her spiel of voting in Richards favor.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

Same. I did an out loud "oh poo poo gently caress YES!" When Monica started doing her spiel of voting in Richards favor.
I was so happy for all of them. :unsmith:

And that they finally gave Monica something to do!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Has Erlich always been at the bottom of the Pied Piper roster because he's a "board member" only? Because if that's new it's hilarious.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Troy Queef posted:

Has Erlich always been at the bottom of the Pied Piper roster because he's a "board member" only? Because if that's new it's hilarious.

Even better, when the site first went up he was the same size as the rest of the main cast, then it got smaller once Jack showed up, and smaller still once they added the sales team.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

VagueRant posted:

My favorite part about them getting invested in the box was how they talked themselves into working harder. Like, yeah we could just do the bare minimum, but wouldn't it be cool if we did this instead?

Like that scene with Dang showing them the black box. This is your professional pride man!

I see it happen all the time in my job (an IT development atmosphere). Sometimes we have to stop ourselves from getting to carried away.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

My favorite part about them getting invested in the box was how they talked themselves into working harder. Like, yeah we could just do the bare minimum, but wouldn't it be cool if we did this instead?

And I'm *really* glad that it didn't turn out to be something that'd turn ~Action Jack~ back into Mr. Friendly Guy with a 'my work here is done' trope.

Also, speaking of tropes, how has no one mentioned or geeked out over the almost-verbatim 'bare minimum' line yet?

As for Dang - I'm surprised Richard just didn't say 'make it green' and have that be the linchpin as to why Jack was able to make the sale back. "Well, the other guy's box was black...ours is green. That's what did it."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 16, 2016

RedDevil
Jul 29, 2006

SHO NUFF
Dang.

What?

I'm Dang.

Humday?

Dang.

Wh wh what?

My name is Dang.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Jack was ultimately another Russ Hanneman, interested only in a quick payout and not in actually building anything or establishing long-term viability.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Pope Guilty posted:

Jack was ultimately another Russ Hanneman, interested only in a quick payout and not in actually building anything or establishing long-term viability.

Worse than Russ, actually. For a while Russ actually did something useful by antagonizing the gently caress out of Gavin with his billboards.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Which is funny since they were both ultimately shown to be resting on their laurels.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I was there for I acquit and salt on cars, at the very least. I know they sound stupid today, but you have to remember that back then these convoluted idiotic fan theories/arguments were very, very amusing to watch people spin their wheels about.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Gavin's downfall is great. I really hope he keeps failing, though I kind of doubt that. I'm sure he'll pull ahead at some point.

ApathyGifted posted:

I hope Jared AirBnB's his own apartment and then squats it back out from under the douchebag.
But Jared's so polite he ends up still paying him rent anyway.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't forget about the Venture Brothers "Get their clothes/clones."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cojawfee posted:

Don't forget about the Venture Brothers "Get their clothes/clones."

The rare occasion where the mishearing would have been, ultimately, plausible.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Mortanis posted:

It seems I have a massive amount of poo poo on my face over the intended drop of documents.

Me too. But we in this thread understand that incorrect is merely "pre-correct. "

Good episode, but in retrospect the board meeting was a stretch. Aside from Jack's open arrogance, someone saying "you have to approve this new deal right now " has got to be a huge red flag to anyone that negotiates contracts.

For Laurie to admit that she overlooked that she was giving up control of the IP for five years and then capitulate instantly to that pressure (and what is the urgency anyways?) just makes her look terrible at the one thing she's supposed to excel at.

The bulldog scene was great though.

Also how has no one commented on:
"gently caress me sideways."
*blink* "indeed."

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 16, 2016

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Pope Guilty posted:

God i hope Russ is coming back.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Avasculous posted:

Good episode, but in retrospect the board meeting was a stretch. Aside from Jack's open arrogance, someone saying "you have to approve this new deal right now " has got to be a huge red flag to anyone that negotiates contracts.

For Laurie to admit that she overlooked that she was giving up control of the IP for five years and then capitulate instantly to that pressure (and what is the urgency anyways?) just makes her look terrible at the one thing she's supposed to excel at.

Stop stop stop stop stop stop stop stop stooooooooooooooppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Holy poo poo

This is a show where a grown man punched a child for some Ritalin shut the gently caress up and go with it.

OOOOOOOOOoohOOHHHHHHH but Veskit, the cops definitely would have put Erlic in jail for all that pot that was confiscated, why is he even on the show this show is dumb.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2by8T1ekjjk

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Veskit posted:

Stop stop stop stop stop stop stop stop stooooooooooooooppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
[etc.]
I thought it was an interesting insight personally. The show works hard to be accurate about a lot of stuff, and so it's interesting to see where and how it stretches that reality, especially in areas I'm not really familiar with. Besides, when all the aspiring writer goons finally get that Hollywood gig and have to write boardroom negotiations scenes on The Wire 2: Wire Harder - they'll have a better idea of how to make it seem legit.

Or: the guy wasn't exactly calling for cancellation over this. Please chill.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

VagueRant posted:

I thought it was an interesting insight personally. The show works hard to be accurate about a lot of stuff, and so it's interesting to see where and how it stretches that reality, especially in areas I'm not really familiar with. Besides, when all the aspiring writer goons finally get that Hollywood gig and have to write boardroom negotiations scenes on The Wire 2: Wire Harder - they'll have a better idea of how to make it seem legit.

Or: the guy wasn't exactly calling for cancellation over this. Please chill.

IT'S ONLY ACCURATE TO SERVICE THE COMEDY DUMBSHOE HOW DO YOU NOT GET THIS. When you start brining up ohhh this would and would happen I just want to stab your mouth shut.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Y-Hat posted:

I can lock the thread in case things get ludicrously stupid. The perks of being a thread creator....

Seems it's about that time again

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Veskit posted:

IT'S ONLY ACCURATE TO SERVICE THE COMEDY DUMBSHOE HOW DO YOU NOT GET THIS. When you start brining up ohhh this would and would happen I just want to stab your mouth shut.

Um, I do?

It's a character-driven comedy and I thought that the writing for one of the characters was off in that scene, but it was otherwise a really good episode.

I didn't realize posting that in the thread for the TV show would send anyone into rage seizures, but I can stick to "haha mean jerk time" if that's safer.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't see it as that far out of character for Laurie. Despite Jack acting like a shithead, she's a pragmatist and is managing partner of a VC company. Sometimes you have to eat some poo poo. Like she even said, they were going to have a meeting the next day to get the Box in place until Gavin shot himself in the foot yet again.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

My DVR cutoff as the group was walking into Jack's old office and started talking to Laurie. Can anyone please summarize what the scene was?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Sand Monster posted:

My DVR cutoff as the group was walking into Jack's old office and started talking to Laurie. Can anyone please summarize what the scene was?

Jack's out, no CEO will be appointed until ???

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Sand Monster posted:

Bighead was in the chair

13Pandora13 posted:

Jack's out, no CEO will be appointed until ???

You son of a

Why is everyone so god drat honest on a comedy forum

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Veskit posted:

Bighead was in the chair

You son of a

Because a chair being a better CEO than Richard is good enough.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
by the end of the season that chair will be on the cover of TIME

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Veskit posted:

Bighead was in the chair

You son of a

Maybe they just aren't a shitlord like you.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

wyoak posted:

The scene with Gavin and the bulldog had me cracking up for some reason

Get this disgusting thing out of here... Bring it back! Ok get it out of here.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I hope Erlich only has a 0.18% equity stake in Bighead's incubator partnership and is payed accordingly when Bighead cashes his $100 million dollar check.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Windows 98 posted:

Ehrlich coughing at the end had me laughing way more than I should have been. Especially when he went for the very last drag even while coughing already and trying to talk.

I was dying at that. Fuckin perfect Erlich.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chris Knight posted:

I was dying at that. Fuckin perfect Erlich.

Perfect in general. I've had nights where it was quicker to just hand a pen and paper around the table to get ideas across. Of course we just hacked through half sentences like he did.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

I didn't see it as that far out of character for Laurie. Despite Jack acting like a shithead, she's a pragmatist and is managing partner of a VC company. Sometimes you have to eat some poo poo.

Oh no, I think you're right and that part was totally fine for her.

I meant more that Laurie's supposed to be a cold, clinical, consummate investor- who here admits to overlooking that the contract surrenders the IP for 5 years (which seems like kind of a big deal) and is then willing to vote for it ten seconds later anyways because the used car salesman in front of her said that she has to "right now."

A counterexample for angry drunks that I thought was good writing: Gavin and his sycophants not recognizing any of the people he employed for 7 years and fired a week ago was totally unbelievable and totally great because it perfectly suited him.

Incidentally, does anyone recognize the chair and is it not $8,000? I kind of liked it and I could use a new one.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The fish tank was also left in the office. Not sure if there were other fish besides the one that was dead and removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Echo Chamber posted:

The fish tank was also left in the office. Not sure if there were other fish besides the one that was dead and removed.

The fish probably come with a ridiculous maintenance schedule that Jared will happily take over.

• Locked thread