Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Can someone recommend a good email app that can do IMAP? Outlook has some bugs, and Gmail will both refuse to fetch new messages and resurrect deleted ones. This should not be so difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Thanatosian posted:

Is there a good index/flashcard app? Ideally one that will sync between a Chrome extension or Windows app via Google Drive or something similar? I guess something like Keep, but for index/flashcards. Preferably that allows graphics, but that's probably asking too much.

The ones I remember using a while ago were anki and mnemosyne I think. Not sure if they support graphics, but they both do that spaced repetition thing to test your memory. Was useful when trying to learn another language.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is there an app that just puts all the images I put on my phone into one folder? It's stupid that there's a download folder, a screenshot folder, and then a folder for pictures downloaded from each app.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

hooah posted:

Can someone recommend a good email app that can do IMAP? Outlook has some bugs, and Gmail will both refuse to fetch new messages and resurrect deleted ones. This should not be so difficult.

I use AquaMail and I've been happy with it. It's been a while since I did any comparing. I remember that I went from K9 to AquaMail because K9 had more trouble with some HTML layouts in messages.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
There was a discussion a while back about how ES File Explorer has turned into something horrible. Well, now they're apparently doing lock screen adware. http://www.xda-developers.com/psa-latest-update-to-es-file-explorer-brings-adware-to-your-lockscreen/

So, if you haven't moved on to something less shady yet, maybe this will help.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, Google released yet another messaging app today and all of the blogs scratched their collective heads.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Recently got an android auto equipped car and of course poweramp still hasn't started supporting android auto playback. Is there a music player aside from Play Music with Android auto support that is recommended in lieu of poweramp?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

couldcareless posted:

Recently got an android auto equipped car and of course poweramp still hasn't started supporting android auto playback. Is there a music player aside from Play Music with Android auto support that is recommended in lieu of poweramp?

Kinda makes me want to include Android Auto support in Awful just to see how many goons I can kill

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I use AquaMail and I've been happy with it. It's been a while since I did any comparing. I remember that I went from K9 to AquaMail because K9 had more trouble with some HTML layouts in messages.

Woah, thanks! This has actually useful options, hopefully it works better than gmail junk with IMAP.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

So, Google released yet another messaging app today and all of the blogs scratched their collective heads.

The 'goon in the well' concept, except instead of digging it's messaging apps and blandly upbeat stock music.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
The Goon in the well, digging.
Google and Android - the Goon in the well.
Kiteo, his eyes closed.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

ah forget it posted:

Woah, thanks! This has actually useful options, hopefully it works better than gmail junk with IMAP.

Is it a waste of time to hope that they include IMAP/Exchange support in Inbox?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Dark One posted:

Is it a waste of time to hope that they include IMAP/Exchange support in Inbox?

Almost certainly.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Is there a twitter app that allows me to keep drafts after I've tweeted them?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Sereri posted:

Kinda makes me want to include Android Auto support in Awful just to see how many goons I can kill
:getin:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sometimes posts in CD make me want to drive off a cliff, if I read one while actually driving near a cliff I don't know if I could resist it.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
They keep talking about searching photos in Google Photos in the I/O keynote, but it has literally never worked for me at all.

I've got tons of pictures of my dogs, my cat, my son, etc, and it always has 0 results for "dog", "cat", and "baby." What am I doing wrong? Do I have to flip a switch somewhere?

edit: Actually it works great at photos.google.com, but doesn't work at all on my phone. It even says that nothing is backed up to The Cloud™ even though everything from my current phone is there on the website.

edit 2: I've figured it out! There was the Google Photos app that came with my phone, and the Google Photos app that came from the Play Store. For whatever the hell reason, installing/updating from the Play Store didn't jive with the bundled version of that app. I disabled the bundled version, and cleared the cache and data for the Play Store version and now everything is peachy.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 18, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

bull3964 posted:

Is hangouts dead now? Or...

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Can't wait for another messaging app! *drags slider to yell*

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Three Olives posted:

Can't wait for another messaging app! *drags slider to yell*

I can't wait to play emoji games with a robot *drags slider to whisper*

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

For real want to use incognito mode to talk poo poo about people at bars.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Finally doing the obvious thing and will be allowing Android Auto to run on your phone
http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/18/11698274/android-auto-app-update-phone-dash-google-io-2016

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
Oh look, another Google messaging app.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/18/11699122/google-allo-messaging-app-announced-io-2016

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Which doesn't replace Hangouts btw. http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/05/18/even-with-allo-and-duo-hangouts-will-remain-as-a-separate-app-in-googles-ecosystem/

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Google posted:

Allo puts some suggested replies at the bottom. They're called "suggestion chips" and they're powered by a massive and massively smart machine learning engine.

In the example Google showed us, a graduation photo came through. The suggested replies were along the lines of "Congratulations!" and "You look great!"
from: http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/18/11699122/google-allo-messaging-app-announced-io-2016

Now if they can just get it to hit send for me as well then I'm all set. My family would have no clue that they're now texting an AI.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Teeter posted:

from: http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/18/11699122/google-allo-messaging-app-announced-io-2016

Now if they can just get it to hit send for me as well then I'm all set. My family would have no clue that they're now texting an AI.

The unfortunate side effect is certain people might get too confident about their ugly babies.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I'm just going to train it to constantly reply "Yum clams!" regardless of context.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Zorak of Michigan posted:

ah forget it posted:

So far this looks to be really nice e-mail client. Good set of actually useful options and most importantly it does not get confused if I read e-mails with other programs and picks up changes made with those clients really quick. Even notification goes away if I read new messages on desktop! Why can't gmail app get that poo poo right?

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

brc64 posted:

There was a discussion a while back about how ES File Explorer has turned into something horrible. Well, now they're apparently doing lock screen adware. http://www.xda-developers.com/psa-latest-update-to-es-file-explorer-brings-adware-to-your-lockscreen/

So, if you haven't moved on to something less shady yet, maybe this will help.
Old post, sorry. This is pretty lovely, I still had ES File Explorer installed despite other people warnings for the crappy stuff they do. However I'm not waiting around for that stuff to happen to my phone.

I've downloaded Total Commander file explorer with the LAN plugin and seems to do okay for what I want. Reviews are pretty good with only bad ones being the oddball bug or people not wanting to take 5 minutes to figure how to do stuff with the app. Has anybody heard of any shady stuff from the app?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

If anyone remembers when Google Maps Navigation first came out in Android 2.x or whenever, there was a mode to enable a follow mode without entering a destination. That mode is back and can be accessed by adding a "Driving" widget, or by going to Maps > Settings > Navigation Settings > Add driving shortcut.

Not sure how late I am to the party but I've been missing this feature for years.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

concise posted:

If anyone remembers when Google Maps Navigation first came out in Android 2.x or whenever, there was a mode to enable a follow mode without entering a destination. That mode is back and can be accessed by adding a "Driving" widget, or by going to Maps > Settings > Navigation Settings > Add driving shortcut.

Not sure how late I am to the party but I've been missing this feature for years.

Yeah it appeared in the last week or so. You can also start it from Menu, Start Driving.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Someone here recommended Llama to me as an app to automatically lower my phone volume when I go to work. I just got a Nexus 5X and switched to Project Fi. Now, when I go to teach the app my home or work locations, it learns for however long I set it, but doesn't save anything. It's like it's not finding any towers. Under the "recent" tab, it lists two towers, both from last night, with the note "No signal/unknown". Any ideas?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Red Warrior posted:

Yeah it appeared in the last week or so. You can also start it from Menu, Start Driving.

Came out in January.

https://maps.googleblog.com/2016/01/do-i-stay-or-do-i-go-now-google-maps.html?m=1

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Uthor posted:

Someone here recommended Llama to me as an app to automatically lower my phone volume when I go to work. I just got a Nexus 5X and switched to Project Fi. Now, when I go to teach the app my home or work locations, it learns for however long I set it, but doesn't save anything. It's like it's not finding any towers. Under the "recent" tab, it lists two towers, both from last night, with the note "No signal/unknown". Any ideas?

Just use Wifi locations instead, its still listed as experimental but works fine

Modern android is always polling Wifi anyway so it's no battery drain

You don't actually need to connect to the Wifi for it to work either

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Just use Wifi locations instead, its still listed as experimental but works fine

Modern android is always polling Wifi anyway so it's no battery drain

You don't actually need to connect to the Wifi for it to work either

Why doesn't it just use the Location Services API? I'm not familiar with it but I'd imagine anything triggering stuff via location would just use that which would use wifi by default.

Either way you should be using wifi as the location beacon as it's usually way more accurate than tower triangulation.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Because its old as hell, it hasn't been updated in forever

Does the job well though

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I switched to the new google keyboard from swiftkey, and like it so far, but i am wondering why sometimes the suggest a word doesn't work? Especially in forms, like email, address and etc? Is there a setting i have to turn on for it to be on all the time?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

there is an xposed module that offers that functionality so I assume its not possible by default

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

ijii posted:

Old post, sorry. This is pretty lovely, I still had ES File Explorer installed despite other people warnings for the crappy stuff they do. However I'm not waiting around for that stuff to happen to my phone.

I've downloaded Total Commander file explorer with the LAN plugin and seems to do okay for what I want. Reviews are pretty good with only bad ones being the oddball bug or people not wanting to take 5 minutes to figure how to do stuff with the app. Has anybody heard of any shady stuff from the app?

That's pretty much exactly my situation. I don't understand why I had to make a dummy local account on my win10 computer for the lan share to be able to log in properly. Maybe I didn't really have to. Otherwise it's been working pretty well with no oddities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For those of you who use Join, are you able to prevent it from showing notifications over full-screen things like games? I'm talking about on your computer. That's the one thing that's starting to bug me about MightyText.