Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ys VIII 15s CM, Vita version out 7.21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I forget, wasn't VIII coming to the PS4 as well? Is that just later?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

I forget, wasn't VIII coming to the PS4 as well? Is that just later?

The PS4 version isn't coming out until next year for some reason.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Motto posted:

The PS4 version isn't coming out until next year for some reason.

Maybe a simultaneous international release.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

That makes me slightly apprehensive about the quality of the vita version

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

That makes me slightly apprehensive about the quality of the vita version

It's the opposite for me. The fact that we're getting the Vita version first makes me think it's a Vita game being ported to PS4, and not a PS4 game being badly squeezed onto Vita hardware.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean I have a Vita and not a PS4, but at the same time I figured that Ys VIII was going to be one of the reasons for me to hop on a PS4 along with P5 coming out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's the opposite for me. The fact that we're getting the Vita version first makes me think it's a Vita game being ported to PS4, and not a PS4 game being badly squeezed onto Vita hardware.

They usually come out at the same time in either case.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Motto posted:

XSEED is tweeting out preorder links, so I think that means the September 6th date is official?

Christ, if it is September then, it is a stacked month for JRPG. Persona 5 and Final Fantasy XV is coming out on that month as well, but Trails comes first in my mind.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's just a placeholder they've said. Persona 5 is only coming out September in Japan so you won't need to worry about that regardless.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I also don't think XSEED cares too much about day one or possibly even first month sales if their comments on other titles still hold. I'd have to guess that they pick and space out their own titles knowing that they're not going to get their returns instantly--what other titles are doing wouldn't affect that at all.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Cake Attack posted:

It's just a placeholder they've said. Persona 5 is only coming out September in Japan so you won't need to worry about that regardless.

On the one hand, going head-to-head with Final Fantasy 15 does strike me as pretty dumb. On the other hand, the first Cold Steel was released the Tuesday before Christmas last year, so it's definitely a smarter launch period. :v:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

More Ys VIII footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqa9yJA-OAw

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
I'm so mad at myself for not reading the little tidbits Rean puts in the Quest section of the book once he finishes a quest. Some of these are great.

"We showed Duncan that nobody replaces lights like we do. Nobody." :allears:

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Lynkericious posted:

I'm so mad at myself for not reading the little tidbits Rean puts in the Quest section of the book once he finishes a quest. Some of these are great.

"We showed Duncan that nobody replaces lights like we do. Nobody." :allears:

Rean vs Estelle in a no holds barred light-changing battle royale for Cold Steel III thanks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finally cleared enough of my backlog to get started on Cold Steel 1; since I've obviously been following along with this thread I'm fairly sure I have the gist of what to look out for in it but any general purpose tips/things to know ahead of time anyway? It vaguely seemed like the BP stuff wasn't quite as bad as it was in TitS.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The APs/books/etc. aren't quite as bullshit but you'll still need a guide.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
It's doable without a guide, comparably speaking. Since backtracking isn't even possible there aren't any real tricky hidden quests or books or anything like that. If you talk to every NPC after every very clear time change you'll be good on everything and since they get new dialogue anyway it's only a waste of time if you don't really care about NPC dialogue/plots at all--there are no "walk through multiple field areas to do something at the outpost opposite your destination" or "backtrack to the outpost you came through after this specific event". The main thing that could want a guide is knowing whether or not you actually got the maximum reward for some quests since while I vaguely remember that they finally stopped marking (+0) for stuff with a max of +0 anyway I do not believe there is any indicator for whether, say, +1 is the max or +2 or +3 is the max. That's usually what gets people.

Only general purpose gameplay tips I have is that physical attackers and status effects are really good now and hard difficulty is the best balanced for a first playthrough if you've played the other games. Unlike TitS the difficulty modes were added during development rather than afterwards so they're actually quality assured, making Hard just fine for a NG and Nightmare more than fine for a NG+ depending on what you carry over.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

quote:

there are no "walk through multiple field areas to do something at the outpost opposite your destination" or "backtrack to the outpost you came through after this specific event".

Actually, this isn't completely true. There are a couple of hidden quests that are kind of far out there, two or so. (one of them is triggered by talking to that NPC twice) You'll still be okay if you talk to everyone every time block. Overall, the game's a lot more tolerant than SC when it comes to achieving max rank. It can still be a dick when it comes to the hidden books you can exchange for an ultimate weapon ore near the end or the cooking recipes. That said, as for tips:

- The game's a lot more structured than the Sky games. It's usually divided into days and it generally gives you an indicator when the sidequests you can do are about to expire. For everything but the final chapter, you can keep the following rule in mind. Each free day in your academy town, there's always exactly one hidden sidequest that's obtained by talking to a certain NPC. No more, no less. It's generally accessable in the evening, so don't go straight back to your dorm after finishing a schoolhouse level dungeon. Whenever on a field trip, there's also always exactly one hidden quest per trip, but whether it's available on the first or second day differs per chapter. There are several situations where you can get additional AP, but in order to get every single one of them you might need a guide.

- Be sure to check for fishing spots. Getting all but one fish in your book during the last chapter gives you the ability to get the master fish and get a very good master quartz.

- Micht's Pawn Shop has multiple tabs in his shopping window, allowing you to upgrade items and quartz. It's very handy. He also occasionally sells recipe books/ultimate weapon ore books you missed.

- You no longer learn recipes by eating new food, so don't bother buying new food if it's not for consumption. You learn new recipes by talking to certain NPCs, examining certain books etc.

- You can sprint with the R-button. It took me 3 chapters to find out about this on my first playthrough.

- If a merchant has an item for sale that says "part of a set", get one. There's an NPC in the final chapter who exchanges full sets for ultimate weapon ore, but it only works if you have the full set.

- The game's battle system is very min-maxy. Quartz no longer gives you elemental points, there are now separate stat quartz, spell quartz and status quartz. That means if a character isn't an art user, he or she will probably have very few spells. Spells are less all-purpose in this game and more "nuke stuff" while crafts have much more prominence now and CP is easier to get.

- Buffs, debuffs and status ailments now last a set number of rounds after which they have to be recast. Smaller buffs (that raise a stat by 25% rather than 50) stack once and recasting a buff before it runs out both stacks and resets its duration.

- You ALWAYS want to go and try for triple advantage against normal encounters. Approach them, let them chase you until they reach the bounds of their "patrolling area". Count to 3 (that's usually when they turn around) and backslash them with a weapon type they don't resist. Fie Claussel is the absolute queen of backstabbing since her weapons cover 3 weapon types and are long-ranged, but Machias is decent too. If you have to use a character with a melee weapon, don't sprint up to the monster's back or they'll turn around at the last moment. You can only get a single advantage against mini-boss class enemies. (your party members mention "this one looks dangerous" when you approach one)

- Status ailments are more useful this time around, since even most bosses have partial vulnerability to them. (though the game is coded so ailments/debuffs on bosses always run out after a single turn) Characters with multiple lines in their orbments can also stack ailment/debuff quartz; one ailment per line. This makes characters like Machias debuffing machines.

- In addition, you can also stack stat-quartz. You still can't get multiple copies of stuff like Attack1 at a time, but if you have Attack1, Attack2 and Attack3 quartz, you can put all three of them on a character.

- Evasion eventually becomes superior to defense especially on characters who get native evasion boosts with their weapons. Evasion can protect you against ANY non-art/non-S-craft attack in the game including some of the crazy stuff certain bosses fling at you. Because of this, don't overlook the extremely useful Insight-status. (a positive status that wasn't in the Sky games) Insight raises your hit% and evade% by 50%, so characters under its influence dodge at least 50% of every non-art attack that gets thrown at them and potentially counter it too. Don't overlook the evade stat and the Insight status.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm only through the prologue but this game is totally my poo poo. Machias is a real piece of work but otherwise this seems like a pretty fun cast, looking forward to how they bond and stuff.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Machias is the best

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Machias is one of my favorite characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

machias left a really bad first impression that i never quite got over but by the end of the game i liked him okay

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Machias is a poo poo but by the end at least he's an endearing poo poo.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

His gruff exterior only makes me want to get to know him better

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Machias is okay. He goes from a dork with a hair-trigger berserk button to a fairly endearing dork with a slightly less hair-trigger berserk button. Eventually the endearing dork part becomes more prominent while the berserk button part becomes less.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I like his VA a lot

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
All of the characters are good but if I had to make a tier-list I'd call the bottom tier "E-tier" because it's full of people whose names start with E. They could all use more development and less bro/siscon.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
S-Tier is for Sara

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Decus posted:

All of the characters are good but if I had to make a tier-list I'd call the bottom tier "E-tier" because it's full of people whose names start with E. They could all use more development and less bro/siscon.

I thought that Elliot got his fair share of story. But I can definitely think of a couple of E's that could have used more development.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Elliot gets major points for having the dad he has as well as his hidden slavedriver tendencies. :P

Koguma posted:

S-Tier is for Sara

And Super Maid Sharon.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 17, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
This is having some pretty big framerate chug issues in combat, geez!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

This is having some pretty big framerate chug issues in combat, geez!

Yeah, that looks pretty bad. Ys is not the kind of series where you want slowdowns, especially in boss fights.

Guess I'll have another game to buy on PS4. :(

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Elliot is easily the top of E-tier but his big development moments were always kind of overshadowed by either the other characters present in them or by all of the other character's developing in the same chapter, like Fie/Laura and Machias. The gang even decides to just sort of leave him in his room playing music during one such development because that's E-tier!

I think he'll do a lot better in CSII as long as the game lets him show more of his leadership/strategic chops outside of the world of music.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lacrimosa of Dana soundtrack samples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOuC6t2amtM

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
Fie is easily the best character of the game. She gets fantastic crafts, she can Triple Advantage nearly everyone from a distance, and so many of her lines are so great. Please just make Fie the main character of Cold Steel III. :allears:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's not much I can do about it now obviously at the start but I was going to ask about a general breakdown of the characters; whether there were any must-haves such as Olivier with his OP orbment line or really lovely characters like Tita.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Everyone's decent and useful for something in Cold Steel. Alisa kind of sucks at attacking in general but she's still really good for starting combo attacks on enemies that are weak to pierce, or you can just have her pump everyone with CP (and later on, Insight)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

gaius, millium and crow get sorta overshadowed as physical people next to the rean/fie/laura power hour, but are still plenty usable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Fie ended up feeling a bit like a liability at the end of the game to me. She evaded most of the time but didn't actually counter for much damage and whenever she failed to evade she'd just get melted. Beat all the last bosses with her but I spent a lot of time babysitting her. What was I doing wrong