Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Kim Chi's comment about the Pit Crew was great. Mean, but great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I don't even like Violet but whatever the hell she was wearing was amazing.

Oh well, back to the off-season, at least until All-Stars 2.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

This was one kick-rear end season and I kind of want a rematch with everyone who wasn't top 3 but with all their new resources and expertise.

Hopefully the people who managed this season will be able to provide a comparable experience for AS2.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

criscodisco posted:

Kim Chi's comment about the Pit Crew was great. Mean, but great.

Anyone got a gif of that guy with his mouth wide open after Kim said that?

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Killing me! What did she say?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
They were doing viewer questions, and two members of the Pit Crew asked which Pit Crew member she'd like to lose her virginity to.

With a lovely smile, she said "well, I'm not trying to catch anything, so none of them".

The crowd howled, Ru howled, and the Pit Crew looked dejected.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

angerbeet posted:

Oh well, back to the off-season, at least until All-Stars 2.

Yup. Time to unsubscribe from the RuPaulsDragRace subreddit. They get really weird between seasons.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Did anyone else notice that Kim and Naomi were just standing on their own during the celebration? No one went to them, they either didn't or weren't allowed to go hug Bob...it seemed odd. I know it was Bob's turn in the spotlight and that the finale was highly edited but if you watch again even the final shot of the whole stage had the two of them standing perfectly still by themselves.

Seems odd.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

An understandable consequence of the way they do three shoots of the announcement and only air the winning one. It went natural enough for itself being staged and unnatural.

That was a good season. Violet stole the gently caress out of the show with that look. Hopefully there is still lots of money to be made out there for the contestants before drag burnout inevitably sets in among the masses. It must be getting close to its peak right now.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

shadow puppet of a posted:

An understandable consequence of the way they do three shoots of the announcement and only air the winning one. It went natural enough for itself being staged and unnatural.

Ahhhhhh yeah I forgot they filmed three endings. Sorry.

Why don't they just loving do it live?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Flyinglemur posted:

Why don't they just loving do it live?
Probably because Ru needs a lot of support to keep her self centered and on-brand between takes. Everything to date has indicated the show takes hours upon hours to film even small, well-worn segments. I don't think there exists the production capacity to shoot it live and keep anywhere close to the same light but snappy feeling and joyful tone that is its calling card. Also you'd not get more than one simple costume change and no makeup changes in the finalists with a hard time limit in a live show.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Also you'd not get more than one simple costume change and no makeup changes in the finalists with a hard time limit in a live show.

Id be ok with this. Ink Master is able to pull off a live finale and their production values are pretty poo poo. Of course it doesn't flow like an edited finale but it feels more organic.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Do it like Survivor, record most of the Finale and then do the actual reveal live.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, Violet's look at the end.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I know, it's a shame that it was hard to make it the details, other than how tiny the waist was. Did she post any pictures of it?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

criscodisco posted:

I know, it's a shame that it was hard to make it the details, other than how tiny the waist was. Did she post any pictures of it?

Even as a straight guy I was like, "That dress is loving insane"

https://www.facebook.com/VioletChachkiOfficial/posts/1722192411332010

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Thanks for the link. I wonder how much that crinoline weighs.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
drat that Violet dress. The watch party I was at literally gasped when she walked out.

It is still super gross to me that Ru keeps on trying to pressure Kim Chi to come out to her mom about drag. Like even when Kim says no in the most polite yet firm way Ru still harps on it over and over and over.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
No, I agree completely. Presumably Kim's mom doesn't know he's gay, either, and those kind of admissions need to happen on your own unique timeline, if at all.

I'm sure Ru has the best of intentions, but it's really not her business.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'm sure Kim's mom knows he is gay and does drag, its the part about having to know it in the open that is the hurdle. That would lead to things like her social circle, who also may know-know but don't officially 'know', having to openly know and there is a good chance that is entirely made up of members of her Korean baptist church.

It could be a huge amount of pressure on the Mom that Kim is avoiding placing on her for the sake of familial and cultural expediency.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Even though I think Bob totally earned the crown, I'm gonna be salty and say that Kim only lost it because she didn't give Ru closure on the mom drama (and to a lesser extent, being hilariously shady toward the pit crew).

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Detailed shot of Violet's makeup and jewelry. I saw the blue veins but didn't realize the crown was a loving flesh prosthetic. What a goddamn showstopper.

https://t.co/sB9nWqhgWx

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

graynull posted:

Detailed shot of Violet's makeup and jewelry. I saw the blue veins but didn't realize the crown was a loving flesh prosthetic. What a goddamn showstopper.

https://t.co/sB9nWqhgWx

I noticed it in stages. First the veins. Then the bugs. Then :aaaaa:

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

would be pretty satisfied if this was the last season of drag race tbh

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
:toot: YAY BOB! I picked her from the very beginning. She's just absolutely fantastic, and that video for the Purse First song is great.

I'd have been happy with Kim Chi winning, though.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I kinda wanted Naomi to win, but I would have been okay with any of them, so yay Bob

I'm sure Kim's mom knows he is gay and does drag, its the part about having to know it in the open that is the hurdle. That would lead to things like her social circle, who also may know-know but don't officially 'know', having to openly know and there is a good chance that is entirely made up of members of her Korean baptist church.

It could be a huge amount of pressure on the Mom that Kim is avoiding placing on her for the sake of familial and cultural expediency.

You can't be a household name if you're worried your mommy might see you, if I'm being brutally honest here.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

I love Kim Chi but she is literally still finding her footing when it comes to performing in motion so

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

I want 'walk into the room purse first' to be a thing now. That was funny.

From a while back, you got your wish!

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

flynt posted:

From a while back, you got your wish!

x1000

Hooray for CuCu!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm glad y'all got to see a Cynthia Lee Fontaine impression. They're so bad. I love them.

"Biiiiiitch."

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats
Violet's look was EVERYTHING. Holy poo poo.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
http://www.logotv.com/video-clips/ea5xwi/rupauls-drag-race-top-three-queens-watch-the-finale-live

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Yeah, I've gotta say, I've been on team Bob since day 1, but Kim Chi was absolutely radiant in that finale. Such a wonderful queen.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
If Kim Chi was a dancer as well, I feel she could have pipped Bob at the end.

A pretty good season overall. Was I the only one who didn't care for Robbie Turner?

Meanwhile, geeze, Dax is loving bitter.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Andrew_1985 posted:

A pretty good season overall. Was I the only one who didn't care for Robbie Turner?

Not at all. Talk about bitter.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Flyinglemur posted:

Not at all. Talk about bitter.

Was I the only one who got the feeling that Robbie would have rather been anywhere but that stage?

Last time I saw a smile that forced, they were holding a newspaper and reciting their captors' demands.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

big black turnout posted:

You can't be a household name if you're worried your mommy might see you, if I'm being brutally honest here.

I can see where Kim Chi is coming from. I'm doing a project on a very sensitive family issue that I can't discuss with my mother, even though she's directly involved with the affair, because it's just too confronting for her.
I know however that she supports me wholeheartedly but it might be a step too far for her mother to participate in actively, just as it is for my mother.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

No shoes?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Hey, it was good enough for Katya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Probably because Ru needs a lot of support to keep her self centered and on-brand between takes. Everything to date has indicated the show takes hours upon hours to film even small, well-worn segments. I don't think there exists the production capacity to shoot it live and keep anywhere close to the same light but snappy feeling and joyful tone that is its calling card. Also you'd not get more than one simple costume change and no makeup changes in the finalists with a hard time limit in a live show.

Yeah, Drag Race, more than almost anything, relies on some really on point, precise, over the top editing. I can't help but notice every single little extra sound effect, music cue, or stolen reaction shot they use in every episode. It has to be an extremely difficult show to edit, because rarely does anything just "play out" on screen. Everything is built to be a moment or a home with a punchline, and finding that rhythm is difficult, especially when you're creating dozens of them every episode.

My wife and I went to drag con, and we really enjoyed it, despite the ridiculous lines. The worst lines were actually for the damned food trucks.

• Locked thread