Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't know HoI4 had same nation coop

who wants to do IJN vs IJA competition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az
Dec 2, 2005

The model dlc for the preorder will be available seperately after launch correct? I got the cadet edition and I'd like to get that dlc later if the game turns out good.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

John Charity Spring posted:

My own genuine recommendation for WW2 pilot fiction is Derek Robinson's novel Piece of Cake, which is brutal and funny and horrible and just about as good as war fiction gets I think.

Len Deighton's 'Bomber' and 'Fighter' books are really good.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Phi230 posted:

That'd be cool haha

OKH vs OKW, with a third player as Hitler who intervenes on a whim and messes with both players

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Phi230 posted:

That's a fantastic idea for a gimmick game, holy poo poo.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

V for Vegas posted:

Len Deighton's 'Bomber' and 'Fighter' books are really good.

Bomber is excellent, aye. That and Piece of Cake are among my favourite pieces of war fiction, besides the usual heavy hitters that everyone brings up.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Working on a grand campaign game and I just got done with CK2. Are there any fanmade converters from CK2 to EU3 or EU4 that aren't awful? The only one I found (for CK2 to EU4) somehow turned a large healthy Byzantine Empire into the Ottomans and just made a mess out of everything. Probably doesn't help that I don't have all the DLC for CK2 or EU4.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Divided We Fall is another pretty good CYOA set in the Spanish Civil War where you play four characters, a fascist pilot, a Basque nurse with the nationalists, a former policeman now officer on the republican side and a really cool lady militia commander. It's not as gamebook-y as other choice of games, but it's pretty well written.

https://www.choiceofgames.com/user-contributed/divided-we-fall/

Crash74
May 11, 2009
So is the art book in the Field Marshal pack digital or physical?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
digital

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

syzpid posted:

Working on a grand campaign game and I just got done with CK2. Are there any fanmade converters from CK2 to EU3 or EU4 that aren't awful? The only one I found (for CK2 to EU4) somehow turned a large healthy Byzantine Empire into the Ottomans and just made a mess out of everything. Probably doesn't help that I don't have all the DLC for CK2 or EU4.

You can just use the Paradox one.

It's not perfect but it gets you most of the way there and any minor edits can be done easily enough. Messes are likely due to how centralization works though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Also I loving wish they'd make a Vicky 3

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Never change the op

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can you guys help me figure out what happened in CK2?

I'm playing Cyprus, and just won a war to press my wife's claim to Achaia. There are two revolts in progress and I joined her war to put them down successfully. Then a message pops up saying "Duke Nikeles of Achaia has usurped Achaia" and my wife loses her duchy. No war or anything, no clear reason given. He's the son of a previous Duke of Achaia, but not related to my wife as far as I can tell, who descends from a different Duke of Achaia. This is around the Old Gods start and I started at Charlemagne, so I'm not sure how the family tree could work like that.

What just happened?

Of course, now he's losing to the revolt. :doh:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 19, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-the-gods.674553/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Wow what a novel opinion

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Imperialism 3 would be ten times the game Vicky 3 is because it's not trying to be a lame political sim and just focuses on being a baller as hell game.

Vicky is a trash game compared to Imperialism, well, aside from the combat.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Imperialism was cool but video games have come a long way in 20 years. There's so much darn busy-work that could be automated, and so many ways to shoot your whole nation in the foot.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Imperialism was cool but video games have come a long way in 20 years. There's so much darn busy-work that could be automated, and so many ways to shoot your whole nation in the foot.

You could definitely improve imperialism in a number of ways from improving combat to having more import automation but it has a lot more promise than the bloated victoria.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

so what's wrong with the pop demand mod? i know some people really dislike it

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Panzeh posted:

You could definitely improve imperialism in a number of ways from improving combat to having more import automation but it has a lot more promise than the bloated victoria.

the really big thing that victoria tries to do & imperialism doesn't is model society & societal change - politics, revolutions, all that good stuff.

i personally think imperialism ii is a much better game than vicky ii, and i'd also be hype about a sequel, but they're not perfectly substitutable goods

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

Wow what a novel opinion

It's a correct opinion.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i think an imperalism iii would probably suck because we live in a world of pain and misery

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
xcom was good.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fintilgin posted:

I second the motion.

All of the other current Paradox games have their own threads, while this one is more a catchall of Paradox discussion. I'll type up a HOI4 OP on my lunch break... with release just over 2 weeks away, I think it's time.

Edit: okay I did a thing http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776674

Drone fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 19, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You should probably switch out the third screenshot with a shot of a national focus tree or something, because those are cool and that pic is from a super outdated build.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

xcom was good.

video games are bad

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

It'd be better to ask what isn't wrong with it

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Stairmaster posted:

You should probably switch out the third screenshot with a shot of a national focus tree or something, because those are cool and that pic is from a super outdated build.

I'll be adding all (known) national focus trees later in the day.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

I gather its the pretty dull and common tale of modders being incapable of deciding that they'd done "enough" and just adding extraneous not really working stuff far longer than they should have.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It tries to do some stuff and does them badly, and at the same time the New Nations Mod has all the good parts of PDM rendering it obsolete.

I'm unsure as to whether either has been updated to the Christmas V2 patches though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

good to know!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
seems like they'd probably announce vicky 3 before the end of the year once the initial stellaris/hoi4 expansion cycles are out of the way

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

I'll be adding all (known) national focus trees later in the day.

It's also missing screenshots of the national dog system.

Arglebargle III posted:

Can you guys help me figure out what happened in CK2?

I'm playing Cyprus, and just won a war to press my wife's claim to Achaia. There are two revolts in progress and I joined her war to put them down successfully. Then a message pops up saying "Duke Nikeles of Achaia has usurped Achaia" and my wife loses her duchy. No war or anything, no clear reason given. He's the son of a previous Duke of Achaia, but not related to my wife as far as I can tell, who descends from a different Duke of Achaia. This is around the Old Gods start and I started at Charlemagne, so I'm not sure how the family tree could work like that.

What just happened?

Of course, now he's losing to the revolt. :doh:

He may have formed a faction and your wife capitulated when he sent his demands. I've found that kind of thing happens a lot when you press someone else's claim on a title - the AI is really bad at holding on to them.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 19, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You need to work on your communication as a couple.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Dreylad posted:

seems like they'd probably announce vicky 3 before the end of the year once the initial stellaris/hoi4 expansion cycles are out of the way

have not they switched to 'not announcing until ready'?

Look how close Stellaris was announced to its release compared to their other games.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If they were waiting to announce games until they were ready we wouldn't have heard about Stellaris until this year's E3/Gamescom

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Especially after the failure with Loremaster, I think they're much more careful with their announcement timelines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Wait, now that HoI has its own thread, doesn't that just make this the Victoria thread by default?