Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

These are the cops you share a road with?

http://i.imgur.com/jP28C8Y.gifv

I'd like to see car chases eliminated but good luck changing that culture.

edit - With the backstory:

http://www.wesh.com/news/ocoee-officer-ticketed-after-patrol-car-crash-fhp-says/39611552

xzzy fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

xzzy posted:

Speaking of chases in the US, recently a lot of car chases (from same day or day before) have been showing up on my YouTube feed and I was very surprised to see and hear that the police backed off early. Maybe the change in culture is happening? Hopefully they'll stop being so trigger happy as well.

Dunno the gently caress that cop was thinking driving through an intersection at that speed though.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

MrOnBicycle posted:

Dunno the gently caress that cop was thinking driving through an intersection at that speed though.

OOH OOH I AM GONNA GET TO SHOOT AND KILL SOMEONE AT THE END OF THIS CHASE!!@!#$!@#%$#

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to see pieces of poo poo stop committing crimes and fleeing in cars but I don't think that culture is going to stop either.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

edit - With the backstory:

http://www.wesh.com/news/ocoee-officer-ticketed-after-patrol-car-crash-fhp-says/39611552

It's not just police chases.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/no-special-treatment-calgary-cracks-down-on-police-breaking-road-rules-1.2753834

quote:

The move comes after a CTV Calgary investigation uncovered more than 1,600 incidents of police vehicles involved in traffic offences, from 2012 to 2014. Offences ranged from speeding to running red lights. In more than half the cases, the police vehicles involved did not have their emergency lights on. CTV Calgary learned that only 24 tickets were issued in relation to the offences, and in total, only six of those tickets were paid.

Police are also cracking down on officers who register their personal vehicles to the Calgary Police Service address, to dodge photo radar tickets.

I remember one article last year stating that 40% of red light camera captures at one intersection outside a tim hortons(donut shop) were police vehicles.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I like how they say they want their officers to play by the rules like everyone else, and then implement a special 'demerits' system instead of just giving them traffic citations like anyone else would get, and also put in a special appeals process to ensure that most of them never actually ever get any demerits I'm sure.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Powershift posted:

It's not just police chases.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/no-special-treatment-calgary-cracks-down-on-police-breaking-road-rules-1.2753834

I remember one article last year stating that 40% of red light camera captures at one intersection outside a tim hortons(donut shop) were police vehicles.

It's amazing how different the culture is in different places. In Britain recently an ambulance service had complained about the amount of time it takes them to get speeding and red light running tickets nullified by supplying the call out logs. If they couldn't then the driver has to take the points on their license. All the emergency services have to prove they were on an emergency call to get the ticket canceled.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Pursuits have been very limited in the USA for quite a while. I spouted off about it in the general chat thread, but there are a lot of policies/rules in place around pursuits in most local jurisdictions, as well as state and federal levels.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Holy poo poo.. the Highway Patrol gave the officer a citation for that? Things are changing.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

B4Ctom1 posted:

Holy poo poo.. the Highway Patrol gave the officer a citation for that? Things are changing.

Considering the damage done and recklessness involved, I'd say he got off easy. Jesus, 90+ through a red light, glad she wasn't going the opposite direction or she'd probably be dead if he hit her driver's side.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Considering the damage done and recklessness involved, I'd say he got off easy. Jesus, 90+ through a red light, glad she wasn't going the opposite direction or she'd probably be dead if he hit her driver's side.

Looked like he actually hit ahead of the passenger compartment, which allowed a lot of the energy to go into just spinning the car like a top, and letting the patrol car continue on without losing a huge amount of that energy. If he'd impacted just slightly later and been a straight T-bone, I'm not sure either party would have lived as all of the energy would have been transferred.

And yea, he got off easy if he only ends up with the citation. If you or I had done that it would have been reckless endangerment, reckless driving, and felony speeding (as well as the red light citation) at the very least.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Considering the damage done and recklessness involved, I'd say he got off easy.

Agreed, if roles were reversed there would have been a non-zero chance of that woman being shot and killed on the scene for trying to "take out" an officer, and she'd likely be facing multiple felony counts of assault on an officer and potentially (depending on the prosecutor) attempted vehicular manslaughter/murder.

I'm actually surprised they didn't arrest her on trumped up charges in an attempt to deflect the blame.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I had a woman flip me off because I accidentally tapped my horn on my bike when I was behind her while canceling a turn signal today, I passed her a half mile later so she followed me too closely all the way to where I was going, laid on her horn every time I came to a complete stop for crazy things like... red lights I turned right at and a stop sign... and then wound up going to the same place I was, parked two spots over from me in a nearly empty lot so she could scream at me about how I was road raging and she could call the police and get me ticketed and DIDN'T YOU SEE THE STICKER ON MY CAR?!@?!?!! (A black silhouette of Kentucky with a thin blue line across it... We're in PA) DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS?!?!?!

So being a mature person I got into a screaming and insulting match with her all the way to the door, we both ended up going back to our vehicles at the same time ten minutes later and she went back to screaming at me because I pulled out my phone and DON'T YOU loving TAKE A PICTURE OF MY CAR WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING I'M GOING TO CALL MY FRIENDS AND YOU'RE GOING TO BE SORRY, YOU BETTER NOT LEAVE IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU!

(After I over-exaggeratedly said "Ooooh my god not your friends, I'm shakin' in my boots over here! Lordy lord, not your friends!" I told her to have a good night and left)

I love crazy people, they're the best kind of free entertainment. I really need to keep the camera on my bike every time I ride. At no point did I exceed the speed limit, fail to signal, or anything else that I can think could even indicate "road rage" so I have no idea what set her off other than a millisecond TOOT of a stock motorcycle horn, but I'll be damned if I didn't think it was funny.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Maybe they didn't like your posting on SA.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
This morning I encountered a road rager that I'm too baffled by to be pissed at.

I'm just driving along when a guy in an SUV to right flashes his signal once, then jerks his car into the space in front of me, forcing me to brake. I don't think he did as some kind of gesture against me or anything, he was just an rear end with bad timing who wanted to pass the guy in front of him.

About a minute or so after this I've passed the car that had been in front of him, and since my exit is coming up I merge to the right, and since the lane is empty I put on a little speed.

Another minute or so after that I've passed the last car in the right lane and merge into it. As I'm doing this, SUV guy flashes his signal a few times (maybe) and jerks his car across the lane I was leaving and into the right lane behind me. I'm not sure how much he cleared the other car in the right lane by because I was only two car lengths ahead of them, tops.

As I'm looking in my rear view, he flips me off. Flips me off so hard his arm is shaking. I've never seen anybody strrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaiiinnnnnn so hard to flip somebody off before. Then, as I'm passing the first exit, he takes the exit, accelerates and passes me just to flip me off (straining) again.

I have no idea why. I'd never seen him before he cut me off, we didn't race, block each other, gesture to each other or anything up until that point. My first encounter with him was him cutting me off. I can only imagine he thought I'd cut him off when I merged to the right ahead of his two lane merge, but he could have just moved into the lane I'd just left and passed me there without any problem at all. The road was wide open.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm a fan of the 1 flash turn signal because more often than not I have found that when I let other drivers know what I am intending to do, they tend to act in a way that makes it harder on me.

Also PCOSs Bill there are 2 crazy people in your story. Hope this helps.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I got yelled at in a parking lot yesterday because I...well, I'm not really sure what set this guy off. I had come out of the store, gotten back in my car, and was sitting there looking for something to listen to. A guy in a pickup parks next to me and opens his door. I hear and feel a THUMP, and figure he hit my door. Not a big deal, I guess, it happens.

He goes inside, and I decide to get out real quick and just see if it's dinged or not. No damage was done, so I get back in my car and go to leave. As I'm starting to pull forward, I hear:

:byodood: HEY! HEY STOP!

I stop and look left, and it's the dude from the pickup, standing on the sidewalk and gesturing wildly at me. I roll down the window a little bit.

:byodood: THERE GOING TO BE A PROBLEM HERE?
:confused: ....No?
:byodood: YOU THOUGHT I HIT YOUR DOOR, DIDN'T YOU? I DIDN'T HIT YOUR loving DOOR, YOU rear end in a top hat!
:confused: Yeah, we're good. I thought I heard something but I guess not.
:byodood: IT WAS MY BODY! MY loving BODY HIT YOUR DOOR! YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO CHECK IT!

He starts laying into me about how I'm an rear end in a top hat for not trusting that he wouldn't damage my car (??), and I'm not even sure what else. I told him to have a great day and just drove off.

Protest too much, buddy? What the gently caress?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I AM A GOOD PERSON BUDDY gently caress YOU.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Today, on the way to work on the highway, traffic slowed to a crawl because a car ran off the road and was in the median/ditch area. There was a rental truck in front of me that almost rear ended the Buick in front of it and had to swerve to avoid the Buick. Oh well, no harm no foul. The truck, probably embarrassed, merges into the right lane and now I'm behind the Buick.

We get past the accident and traffic starts to flow again. I speed up and look to my right (away from the accident) at a couple of cars parked off the road, wondering if they were construction workers' cars or other cars that ran off the road. Look back in front of me and wow, that Buick is coming at me pretty quickly! I get on the brakes pretty hard and pull onto the shoulder (it's been my experience that a good mix of shoulder/hard braking is the best option). I end up slightly in front of the Buick, because I did have enough room to get onto the shoulder safely without having to jerk the wheel too much.

Point is, some poor lady in a Buick almost got rear ended twice and once was by me. It's me, today (and the guy in the rental truck) :(

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Side mirrors are for plebes.

as are license plates:

EDIT: And today's person trying to kill me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6-sXlUlLJU

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 20, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I work kitty-corner from a mid-size venue in a small industrial area of town. Buckcherry is playing there tonight. This morning their tour bus was just stopped in the northbound lane with its flashers on, forcing trucks to go around them in the oncoming lane. Thanks, Buckcherry!

(I'm not really pissed about it other than it being Buckcherry's bus and that my work's parking lot is gonna be full of cars when I leave.)

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

nitrogen posted:

Side mirrors are for plebes.

I'm guilty of this after cramming cars into tight storage spaces. After I get a car out of storage, I check fluids, window motors, brake and directional lights, but it usually isn't until I'm on an expressway onramp that I remember I folded in the mirrors several months ago.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Had someone yesterday on my way home act like a complete rear end in a top hat for pretty much no reason...

Was taking a side street into a grocery store parking lot that's attached to the apartment lot where I live and there's a 4-way stoplight - east/west blinking yellow, north/south blinking red. I'm facing west and there's a little silver Kia in front of me, we both get into the left lane to turn at the flashing yellow. Person stops dead in their tracks for no reason, there are no cars coming from any other direction...and they sit there for a few seconds at the light. I give a little beep, they turn as slooowwlllyy as possible into the grocery lot and the lady in the car brake checks me right at the entrance and flips me off, so I went around her and gave it right back. Saw her in my rear view mirror put her phone up on the wheel and start texting someone while she's puttering through the lot in a huff. Jesus lady, get a loving grip and pay attention...I don't give a poo poo if you hurt/kill yourself but at least have the sense to not take anyone else with you, retard.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
All these stories sound like they could've happened around here. It's been worse than usual this week. More near-misses and nasty accidents than usual, which is a lot to begin with. Lots of incidents of drivers that appear crazy/drunk/raging. Starting to wonder if the stars/planets are aligned bad or whatever the hell it is people blame stuff like this on. I'm planning on not driving anywhere at all this weekend.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Had someone yesterday on my way home act like a complete rear end in a top hat for pretty much no reason...

Yeah, a big part of being an rear end in a top hat is not having a reason. They just make one up on the fly, if they ever even bother to think about why they did what they did.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Karma Monkey posted:

Starting to wonder if the stars/planets are aligned bad or whatever the hell it is people blame stuff like this on.

People have been blaming Mercury on all kinds of things the last two weeks. You can jump on that bandwagon!
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-provide-coverage-of-may-9-mercury-transit-of-the-sun

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Karma Monkey posted:

It's been worse than usual this week.

I agree with the worse than normal part.

I posted last week, I think, about the woman who tried to pass me on the shoulder, twice, just to be one more car length farther up in line on an on-ramp. She was actually the second person to do something like that in a two week period.

A couple of days ago I was trying to merge onto the highway. I had plenty of room to get over but as soon as the woman driving a jeep saw me and realized I was about to merge she floors it trying to close the gap, then leans on her horn to let me know she's coming. Even though I still had room to get over I slowed up and let her pass. Why? She wasn't in any hurry until I wanted to merge in front her, and she had no place to go except behind the car I was merging behind. She was in the same traffic traveling the same speed she would have been traveling if she'd just stayed back where she was and let me merge.

Do people who do this poo poo really think they're accomplishing anything other than being a dick to a random stranger for the sole purpose of being a dick?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I definitely see lovely driving in spurts. Be fine for a week or two, then suddenly a half dozen people in rapid succession try their hardest to kill me either by direct intervention or hastening my heart attack.

Probably where sayings like "bad news comes in threes" comes from.

But knowing human nature I'm just creating patterns where none exist.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

xzzy posted:

I definitely see lovely driving in spurts. Be fine for a week or two, then suddenly a half dozen people in rapid succession try their hardest to kill me either by direct intervention or hastening my heart attack.

Probably where sayings like "bad news comes in threes" comes from.

But knowing human nature I'm just creating patterns where none exist.

Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon maybe?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Murphys Law posted:

A couple of days ago I was trying to merge onto the highway. I had plenty of room to get over but as soon as the woman driving a jeep saw me and realized I was about to merge she floors it trying to close the gap, then leans on her horn to let me know she's coming. Even though I still had room to get over I slowed up and let her pass. Why? She wasn't in any hurry until I wanted to merge in front her, and she had no place to go except behind the car I was merging behind. She was in the same traffic traveling the same speed she would have been traveling if she'd just stayed back where she was and let me merge.

People do that here all the frickin time. What really gets me is when there's no other traffic. It's a 3-lane highway. They could move over to let on-ramp traffic come on, but nope, they speed up so you have to practically stop on the ramp, then they slow back down to 10 under the limit. :psypop: I also see alot of people here do the thing where they keep changing lanes every time they see you change so you can't pass them, again on the 3-lane highway with no other traffic. It's aggravating, but also kinda creepy because it makes me think of Duel. Most of the worst poo poo I see is on MD-100. Maybe it's just a cursed highway. :shrug:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you let merging people in where they should go as a policy, you will suffer because they will merge in front of you going unbelievably slow and you will have to slam on your brakes. It's better to simply assume they'll gently caress this up, since there are far fewer people who actually merge properly. The bad part of this is you inconvenience the small minority of people that don't drive poorly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just assume everyone is going to bumble out in front of me going the same speed they are right now, or worse, slam on the brakes, all without looking in their mirrors or giving a single poo poo what happens.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i take that one step further and assume everyone is insane, and on the phone and actively is trying to kill me.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

SneakyFrog posted:

i take that one step further and assume everyone is insane, and on the phone and actively is trying to kill me.

I see you took the MSF class as well

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I see you took the MSF class as well

:frog::respek::unsmith:

Indeed i did :haw:

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Roundabout? Who has the time.

http://i.imgur.com/y8YmwGb.webm

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

those rapscallion duke brothers *spills tea*

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Is that a dog on the left checking out the adventuremobile?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

9.7, great hang time. Lost points for off-kilter landing. If there were people on the sidewalk to the right I'd say this was SAC going for the ultimate splash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Saw some beat to poo poo Corolla today with a tire out of balance/worn shock so bad their left rear tire was bouncing up and down like a basketball. It was leaving the pavement a good 2-3". Guy is just cruising in the left lane doing 80mph without a care in the world. Wanted to take a video but I was driving. How the hell do people ignore poo poo like that? In a tiny car like that it must have felt like hell in the car, not just the noise.