Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Can't believe I"m doxxing myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Oldstench posted:

You're the guy with the ponytail and combat boots?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I wanna goooo you fuckers

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

nerve posted:

i want to go next year maybe ...

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

david crosby posted:

That guy's cool. I didn't realize it was a Death speedo at first because I was too scared to look at his package.

Same.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is he aware that stage diving doesn't actually involve a pool of water?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

david crosby posted:

That guy's cool. I didn't realize it was a Death speedo at first because I was too scared to look at his package.

You left an "r" out of scarred. You mean't scarred - right?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
The preview track for the new Katatonia had me thinking it would be Dead End Kings 2.0. It isn't. A few tracks in, it feels like almost a cross between Wisdom of Crowds and Last Fair Deal Gone Down.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 20, 2016

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Pesmerga posted:

Whispered have a new album out. It's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPIPy8sqvHU

I thought that was Petri Lindroos singing at first and was really confused.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

xzzy posted:

Is he aware that stage diving doesn't actually involve a pool of water?
:golfclap:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

I feel like a cliche parent from some sitcom who's only real character trait is being a curmudgeon, but I think djent is just awful and really boring.

I think there are some cool things about djent as whole. It's legitimately "new" feeling. The musicians have pushed towards more things like modern guitar designs, newer pickups, modeling amps, software, etc. The movement has definitely helped carve out a deeper section of the industry that doesn't just cater to people stuck in the 60s. The complex syncopated rhythms have influenced a lot of non Meshuggah ripoff bands like Haken on their new album and I really enjoy it done properly like they did.

I love the gently caress out of every Meshuggah album and like a few bands like Animals as Leaders but in general I don't really like djent. Aside from the blatant no talent imitators though I welcome it completely since on the other end there's nothing exciting about X band reminding us how many osdm riffs they know in 2016.

e: also wanted to add something else I appreciate. Djent is a product of the Internet. Following that evolution it has built up a massive YouTube community. Half of it is stupid awful comedy bullshit but the other half is helpful videos about production, technique, etc. and since the genre is full of nerds who spend too much time online there's more in depth info nowadays that is constantly up to the date with new things in the industry than any time before.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 20, 2016

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

nerve posted:

if you go you need to book your hotel as early as possible. i waited too long and booked my early july last year, and there were some out of rooms already.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

I think there are some cool things about djent as whole. It's legitimately "new" feeling. The musicians have pushed towards more things like modern guitar designs, newer pickups, modeling amps, software, etc. The movement has definitely helped carve out a deeper section of the industry that doesn't just cater to people stuck in the 60s. The complex syncopated rhythms have influenced a lot of non Meshuggah ripoff bands like Haken on their new album and I really enjoy it done properly like they did.

I love the gently caress out of every Meshuggah album and like a few bands like Animals as Leaders but in general I don't really like djent. Aside from the blatant no talent imitators though I welcome it completely since on the other end there's nothing exciting about X band reminding us how many osdm riffs they know in 2016.

e: also wanted to add something else I appreciate. Djent is a product of the Internet. Following that evolution it has built up a massive YouTube community. Half of it is stupid awful comedy bullshit but the other half is helpful videos about production, technique, etc. and since the genre is full of nerds who spend too much time online there's more in depth info nowadays that is constantly up to the date with new things in the industry than any time before.

It's probably because to me, fast is heavy, and uber slow is also heavy. Djent just seems to want to sit in the middle like a breakdown that had nothing building up to it. The musicians are very talented at what they do, and I appreciate what they've done for the evolution of guitar equipment and home recording because I love modelling amps - though I hate 8 string guitars. There wouldn't be any good high gain recording focused videos on the internet without them, which is pretty much the way I'm learning how to do stuff.

By the way, I just love how people got super mad at jared dines' djent 2016 video where he had a guitar made that uses a bass string tuned two octaves lower than a normal bass string.

saviro
Apr 28, 2005
the revenge of the peruvian

Opulent Ceremony posted:

If you like intensely melodic tech death similar to Gorod, check out the new First Fragment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDDcp4KbWTc

pro click

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

saviro posted:

pro click

Very, I'm not a huge fan of tech death but it's fun. The breakdown at around 1:50 is kinda cool and good, actually.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

I think there are some cool things about djent as whole. It's legitimately "new" feeling.
Tell me more about this... "new metal."

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Vulture Culture posted:

Tell me more about this... "new metal."

I bought my first Meshuggah album almost twenty years ago. Holy crap I'm old.

I like "djent," but understand why people can't stand it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I bought my first Meshuggah album almost twenty years ago. Holy crap I'm old.

I like "djent," but understand why people can't stand it.
Anyone else get into a lot of metal through Fredrik Kreem's work on swedishmetal.net back in the day? I was just thinking back to how much harder it was to find new stuff before even Napster and Last.fm were things.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Jared Dines is a national treasure, its so good to see someone who loves metal yet embraces it's inherent ridiculousness.

Misha Mansoor's vids are so informative even outside of djent.

On a totally different tangent I'm very annoyed with myself for only just getting into Decapitated. A week after they played my town. Twat.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Vulture Culture posted:

Anyone else get into a lot of metal through Fredrik Kreem's work on swedishmetal.net back in the day? I was just thinking back to how much harder it was to find new stuff before even Napster and Last.fm were things.

In '97 or so I think I went to Metal Rules a lot, but music recs were a total crapshoot. I remember someone suggesting that I just had to check out Iced Earth. Ouch -- got burned on that one. On the other hand I discovered Nevermore and Bolt Thrower because of that site, so I guess it evened out.

I mostly listened to KNAC when it was an actual radio station in LA for new stuff.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

blackmetalradio.com and the metal subforum on the Gamespot forums were where I started really learning about metal.

As far as traditional journo/blog sites go, Teufel's Tomb, Diabolical Conquest, Metal Rules, and metalstorm.ee were great places for learning what was up and coming. Metal Storm's release list was especially helpful as it ran the gamut of genres and types of releases, e.g. singles, EPs, LPs, live albums, and compilations.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 20, 2016

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Oldstench posted:

:eyepop: that's you?? Sorry for checking out your package, mate.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Hello thread, have some songs:

In Demise
Pighead

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

comes along bort posted:

That one Meshuggah song was alright. Not sure why everyone and their brother decided to keep rewriting it though.

i've said this about 90 times but most djent really doesn't sound much like meshuggah in terms of mood, atmosphere or melodicism, and when people say poo poo like this i find it hard to take their opinion on the genre seriously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjXAVTCkK_w

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Gamma Nerd posted:

i've said this about 90 times but most djent really doesn't sound much like meshuggah in terms of mood, atmosphere or melodicism, and when people say poo poo like this i find it hard to take their opinion on the genre seriously

For real. There's a French band I can think of that straight-up rips them off (honestly they sound literally indistinguishable from Meshuggah...it's spooky):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TRE0oGZuNI

and one other band, from Chile, who sound pretty similar but more jazzy and are definitely worth listening to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtKZ24D1AcQ

The only things most other djent bands have in common with Meshuggah are chugging guitars and polyrhythms.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Optimum Gulps posted:

For real. There's a French band I can think of that straight-up rips them off (honestly they sound literally indistinguishable from Meshuggah...it's spooky):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TRE0oGZuNI

holy poo poo, LOL, you're not kidding

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Yeah Coprofago are really loving cool.

Vola have some riffs that sound very Meshuggah (3:30 into The Same War sounds a ton like the end of Straws Pulled At Random) but those Meshuggah bits are reused in the context of Mew-style dream pop choruses and the synthwork of, I dunno, Voyager or Leprous.

Go listen to Vola btw, everyone, Gutter Moon is probably my favorite song of 2015.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Gamma Nerd posted:

Okay, so you post a track that sounds like Meshuggah except with some melodic singing and a little more keyboards on top? Well sure I guess that doesn't sound 100% like Meshuggah.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

In '97 or so I think I went to Metal Rules a lot, but music recs were a total crapshoot. I remember someone suggesting that I just had to check out Iced Earth. Ouch -- got burned on that one.

In '97 you had "Burnt Offerings" and the s/t and the regrettable Spawn thing, with "Something Wicked" a year later, which is about as good as you're going to get with Iced Earth.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I don't think Iced Earth have ever had a completely good album (Stormrider would fit if not for that loving awful Carl Orff bit at the beginning), but most of their albums have a solid 20 minutes of good songs

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

On paper, it's a mix of death metal and hardcore, which sounds pretty good. But actually it's almost always really really bad!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fk0b0qdY_lo

It's a mixture of death metal and metalcore actually.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

comes along bort posted:

Okay, so you post a track that sounds like Meshuggah except with some melodic singing and a little more keyboards on top? Well sure I guess that doesn't sound 100% like Meshuggah.

lmao
- uneven structure don't use keyboards, first of all

- the loud/quiet dynamic is used in a way meshuggah don't - meshuggah have some quiet noodly bits on catch 33 and chaosphere, but the transition 3:30 into awaken isn't something meshuggah would do - they tend to relegate the quiet bits to separate tracks and those tracks lack the strongly rhythmic backbone of their metal work

- there's use of climaxes and build/release of tension in a way that meshuggah don't use - meshuggah are much more focused on maintaining a consistent level of aggression and creating a trance through repetition. there's very little repetition of beats in awaken, the song moves through tons of rhythms rather than looping riffs for minutes the way meshuggah do

- there's actual harmony at 2:45. meshuggah are dissonant and atonal to a fault.

- the role of the drumming is different. haake syncs the kick directly to the rhythm guitar and plays 4/4 crash cymbal over it, with snare accenting beats almost randomly. the uneven structure drummer accents with snare much more regularly at the end of a riff. he uses a very subtle chime to play off-time patterns around that, too, rather than a loud regular crash cymbal beat.

- the production signature is different. meshuggah are very claustrophobic and the guitar tone is as loud and abrasive as possible. uneven structure's production is much more open and clear, and the guitar tone isn't quite as hard-edged.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

A human heart posted:

It's a mixture of death metal and metalcore actually.

Also complete with pig squealing and Donald Duck noises.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
yet for some reason brutal death bands who use intensely guttural styles, like wormed, don't have the same stigma

it's cool how genre names can inform someone's enjoyment of something more than the actual musical content

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

yet for some reason brutal death bands who use intensely guttural styles, like wormed, don't have the same stigma

it's cool how genre names can inform someone's enjoyment of something more than the actual musical content

Personally I think those vocals are bad when brutal death bands do them too

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

A human heart posted:

Personally I think those vocals are bad when brutal death bands do them too

i sort of expect that from you, man. you're consistent and that's cool.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

fritz posted:

In '97 you had "Burnt Offerings" and the s/t and the regrettable Spawn thing, with "Something Wicked" a year later, which is about as good as you're going to get with Iced Earth.

It was the one that the comic book guy did the cover for.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Im not really into brutal dm because i think the drums sound like cartoon characters running and the vocals sound like a septic tank being drained but i like a few of those indonesian bands that guy from tbdm writes about in his column

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Sometimes I just get into a mood for music where the singer sounds like they are trying to get the last bit of their milkshake out of the bottom with a straw though, can you blame me?

muike posted:

Im not really into brutal dm because i think the drums sound like cartoon characters running and the vocals sound like a septic tank being drained but i like a few of those indonesian bands that guy from tbdm writes about in his column

Don't forget kick drums that sound like someone dribbling a basketball at the speed of light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
indonesia is pretty much the best at uber-brutal DM, though i think colombia also produces some impressively chaotic poo poo