Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watched the first episode of Lady Dynamite. It's incredibly loving weird and you should all check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Only the first? I thought you would be done with all 13 by now.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I desperately want Seeso to be popular because Jo Firestone has been on two of their to-be-released shows and she might be my favorite comedian ever.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Nc95xC2W8

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Sober posted:

For those interested: Vulture has a good long form article about how much the industry has changed since "Peak TV" has become a thing. And it's scary as someone who wants to throw their hat in the ring.

This part has Amy Brenneman written all over it:

quote:

“People who ordinarily only want to be No. 1 on the call sheet, and the key player in the show, they’re now thinking about being the fourth lead on a [streaming series],” he says. Helping to ease the pain of making the transition from broadcast big shot to a supporting star on streaming is that it’s often not that big of a financial hit, given the sums Netflix and others are now throwing around. “If they have a $100,000 quote from being a lead on a CBS show, they can probably get $75,000 to be the third or fourth name on a streaming show,” the agent says. And while their faces might not be front and center on billboards and bus shelters, their reputation as actors might be much improved. “You get to be a part of a show that’s probably going to be part of the awards circuit for the next five years,” he says. “You’re just not going to be at the center of it.”

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lady Dynamite is on Netflix now. Everyone should watch it.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Seconded. Mulaney was a real fuckin sport for that cameo too

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Lady Dynamite is the weirdest and one of the funniest sitcoms I've seen in a long time. Even the more normal episodes like ep 4 are plenty strange and meta. Let's get DP to watch it so he can get started on the post-essays it deserves.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah Lady Dynamite is the weirdest and one of the funniest sitcoms I've seen in a long time. Even the more normal episodes like ep 4 are plenty strange and meta. Let's get DP to watch it so he can get started on the post-essays it deserves.

The post-essays will have to wait, I have to watch that Pussy Noodle commercial about five hundred more times

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Snak posted:

Yeah, I dont mind low-key a long as the characters and acting keep it engaging. Halfway through the second episode, it's definitely working for me.

Its got the stories of standard procedural fare, but I'm used to seeing them with a snappier pacing but hollower delivery and cinematography. It reminds me more of a British Detective series than a modern American procedural. The pacing fits the Western motif.

Starring Lou Diamond Phillips my rear end. For like 3 minutes per episode. Robert Taylor really got the short end of the stick in billing in marketing.

If it helps, he has a much expanded role in later seasons, and I'd generally consider his character the emotional core of the show. At any rate, I've always liked LDP as an actor, but he's phenomenal in the most recent season.
It's also nice to see Katee Sackhoff finally get another good role. :3:

One thing I really like about Longmire is the unique milieu. Being a police western partially set on an Indian reservation, in rural Montana allows the opportunity for telling stories that TV never tells.

other thing is that Zahn McClarnon, who was so good on Fargo season 2, is in the show and has a much better role with a lot more nuance than "henchman for rear end in a top hat gang that turns on his employers due to being sick of racism".

Longmire is a show I think would be really popular here if it had aired on a different channel. As it is, being a Netflix series now, people have the opportunity to get into it, and I'd recommend it if you're hankering for a police procedural, but with good character development and a very different setting.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Spatula City posted:

If it helps, he has a much expanded role in later seasons, and I'd generally consider his character the emotional core of the show. At any rate, I've always liked LDP as an actor, but he's phenomenal in the most recent season.
It's also nice to see Katee Sackhoff finally get another good role. :3:
It's crazy because, as of three episodes in, he's in maybe 2 minutes of each episode. Like he's barely there. I've always liked him too, and despite my comments about it, I don't really mind, because the real lead is pretty good and I can definitely see him carrying the show. Sackhoff seems like a good fit. I like so far that there isn't a solid "side-kick" character. Depending on the episode, different deputies have more screentime. Sackhoff's character featured prominantly in the pilot, but hasn't hogged the spotlight.

quote:

One thing I really like about Longmire is the unique milieu. Being a police western partially set on an Indian reservation, in rural Montana allows the opportunity for telling stories that TV never tells.

other thing is that Zahn McClarnon, who was so good on Fargo season 2, is in the show and has a much better role with a lot more nuance than "henchman for rear end in a top hat gang that turns on his employers due to being sick of racism".

Longmire is a show I think would be really popular here if it had aired on a different channel. As it is, being a Netflix series now, people have the opportunity to get into it, and I'd recommend it if you're hankering for a police procedural, but with good character development and a very different setting.
Honestly there are a lot of cliches so far, but like I said in my previous post, the deliberate pacing and solid performances elevate the complete package.

I don't really care for Bailey Chase, but that might just be because he has resting smug face, and his character on Buffy was a tool.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Glad to hear, the trailer looked terrible (netflix trailers almost always do)

Maria Bamford deserves a successful starring vehicle.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

FadingChord posted:

I'll be sad when The Odd Couple gets cancelled. It's nothing groundbreaking or amazing but it's a thoroughly competent dose of "safe" sitcom comfort food with a great cast of people I like.

Is this opposite day?

Also, why are they making Red Dwarf XI/XII? Can't they just let that horse stay dead?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I'm so in awe of Lady Dynamite that I'm pretty much going to have to watch it all once, then again, just to get all the jokes. It's a delight and I don't even like her standup.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Croatoan posted:

Is this opposite day?

Also, why are they making Red Dwarf XI/XII? Can't they just let that horse stay dead?

I thought Red Dwarf X was actually really solid, a return to the earlier seasons sense of humor and stripped down and streamlined from the mess it had become. Even if it wasn't as good as seasons 1-3 (or 6, if you're being generous), it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the garbage fire that was 7-9.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

feedmyleg posted:

I thought Red Dwarf X was actually really solid, a return to the earlier seasons sense of humor and stripped down and streamlined from the mess it had become. Even if it wasn't as good as seasons 1-3 (or 6, if you're being generous), it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the garbage fire that was 7-9.

I'll be damned, I had to double check and I haven't seen X. Last I watched was the meta season IX that had its moments but overall was just a steaming turd.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I'm looking around and I'm trying to find the Firewall & Iceberg episode that discusses NBC's fall from grace. It got posted in a previous Couch Chat thread. Which episode was that?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

suddenlyissoon posted:

I don't even like her standup.
You have a brain problem.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Croatoan posted:

I'll be damned, I had to double check and I haven't seen X. Last I watched was the meta season IX that had its moments but overall was just a steaming turd.

Yeah that was utter, utter, garbage. I refused to watch episode 2 or 3. X was good, as stated above - definitely above 7-9. Not quite classic, but closer to having that feeling back.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So you should love Bamford.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Fargo has cast Ewan McGregor as two of the leads for season 3...

http://deadline.com/2016/05/ewan-mcgregor-cast-lead-fargo-fx-1201760430/

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Heh, at first I thought you made a typo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yes. Yessss. Glad they're keeping up the incredible casting.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Awesome.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

HIJK posted:

I'm looking around and I'm trying to find the Firewall & Iceberg episode that discusses NBC's fall from grace. It got posted in a previous Couch Chat thread. Which episode was that?

If I had to guess, 169 as that has a segment called "NBC's return to suckage." Both 206 and 117 also appear to have some NBC discussion segments.

Edit: hahaha it's definitely 169. Man, hearing things like "Smash and Revolution are NBC's massive hits!" is amazing

Cael fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 20, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is the second such article I've seen today about how the CW might be the best broadcast network.

Caution for TVIV posters: The author doesn't rant about how much Arrow and the Flash suck constantly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Arrow's fine right now, Legends is bad, and Flash was so bad I dropped it like two months ago and haven't regretted it once.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Arrow's fine right now, Legends is bad, and Flash was so bad I dropped it like two months ago and haven't regretted it once.

Yeah I know half your posts are about how bad Flash sucks.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Yeah I know half your posts are about how bad Flash sucks.

And half your posts are whiny posts about people not liking things you like. You spend more time taking shots at what other people say about things than you actually say about things yourself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

And half your posts are whiny posts about people not liking things you like. You spend more time taking shots at what other people say about things than you actually say about things yourself.

Sorry I'll try to improve by limiting my posts to how unexcited I am for every show that gets announced.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm up to episode 20 of Flash S2, and I'd heard enough bad things about it that I was expecting it to be terrible and it surprisingly wasn't. I do think this might be my last season of both Flash and Arrow though unless I hear good things. I'm fully fatigued out with superhero stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

I'm up to episode 20 of Flash S2, and I'd heard enough bad things about it that I was expecting it to be terrible and it surprisingly wasn't.

Now why would you expect that?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Flash is a dumb show with annoying characters and stupid storylines and it was bad from the start. 30 seconds of cool action per episode don't make it worth watching.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Sorry I'll try to improve by limiting my posts to how unexcited I am for every show that gets announced.

No man, it's really cool how you just brush aside the actual criticisms people have stated for things and instead just say "Oh Goons will be Goons LOL" every time someone says they don't like something. Definitely keep doing that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

No man, it's really cool how you just brush aside the actual criticisms people have stated for things and instead just say "Oh Goons will be Goons LOL" every time someone says they don't like something. Definitely keep doing that.

Maybe if their criticisms weren't "I guessed what the show was going to do and that's why it's bad".

But really I wouldn't give a gently caress what you thought about the Flash if you weren't constantly posting in every thread in every forum I see you in how bad it is given the slimmest link. Get over it.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Flash good. So what.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Maybe if their criticisms weren't "I guessed what the show was going to do and that's why it's bad".

But really I wouldn't give a gently caress what you thought about the Flash if you weren't constantly posting in every thread in every forum I see you in how bad it is given the slimmest link. Get over it.

You're the one who brought up Flash and acted salty about it. I merely responded. Maybe you shouldn't have brought it up if you didn't want anyone to say what they thought about it.

Lots of people don't like the show now. Get over it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wandle Cax posted:

Flash is a dumb show with annoying characters and stupid storylines and it was bad from the start. 30 seconds of cool action per episode don't make it worth watching.

Flash and Arrow were both bad from the very start. People went apeshit for the 15 seconds of parkour in the pilot for Arrow and it looked like poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Lots of people don't like the show now. Get over it.

Ok I promise to stop posting about how good the Flash is in unrelated threads at the drop of a hat and how I still continue to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Ok I promise to stop posting about how good the Flash is in unrelated threads at the drop of a hat and how I still continue to watch it.

If I apologize for saying I don't like the show you like will you stop whining?

• Locked thread