Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Was it Gavok?

It was probably Gavok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

21 Hoot Salute posted:

Someone wrote a lot of words about Brother Bruti

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/09/the-bizarre-convoluted-career-of-ed-leslie-wrestli.html

It's actually a pretty fun read

Cocaine promos have been and always will be the best part of pro wrestling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S23JCkfYWIo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Technically Plowboy Frazier has been billed under more names, but several of them were slight variations.

I completely misread this as Playboy Frazier and assumed it was an indie gimmick of Big Daddy 5.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

wikipedia posted:

he also wrestled in a loincloth as Kamala II, a copy of Kamala, who wrestled in Tennessee with a Ugandan headhunter gimmick.[7]

???

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Uncle Elmer absolutely owned.

From wikipedia: During 1985 and 1986, Fraizer wrestled for the World Wrestling Federation as Uncle Elmer.[4] He was a member of a stable named the Hillbillies, which also included Hillbilly Jim, Cousin Junior, and Cousin Luke.[2] The Hillbillies' gimmick was that of simple-minded country folk who performed square dances in the ring, with Uncle Elmer perpetually eating from an enormous bucket labeled "Uncle Elmer's fried pig parts".[10][11] They feuded with several of the WWF's top wrestlers, including Roddy Piper and Bob Orton, Jr.[11]

This was legitimately hilarious. I grew up watching 80s WWF and for some reason, I have a really clear memory of uncle elmer's pig part bucket even though I was only like 5 at the time. Also his WM2 match with Adrian Adonis was just something to behold in a WM full of things you really didn't need to behold.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MassRafTer posted:

I completely misread this as Playboy Frazier and assumed it was an indie gimmick of Big Daddy 5.
Playboy Frazier is, for some reason, apparently the only comedy gimmick that gets a pass from Cornette.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

I believe this was meant to be a joke. As in 'I'm bringing in a new monster...Kamala 2!!!' and then it's just Plowboy Frazier

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

Platypus Farm posted:

Uncle Elmer absolutely owned.

This was legitimately hilarious. I grew up watching 80s WWF and for some reason, I have a really clear memory of uncle elmer's pig part bucket even though I was only like 5 at the time. Also his WM2 match with Adrian Adonis was just something to behold in a WM full of things you really didn't need to behold.

The best memory of his run that I have was the hillbilly wedding. The bride and groom are like a combined 800 pounds and when they kiss, Jesse Ventura says "they look like two catfish in the Mississippi going after the same piece of corn." Lol I miss the body on commentary

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Platypus Farm posted:

He was a member of a stable named the Hillbillies, which also included Hillbilly Jim, Cousin Junior, and Cousin Luke.

I was not aware that of the four, only Hillbilly Jim is still alive. It's not really surprising, it's just something I didn't know.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

tzirean posted:

I was not aware that of the four, only Hillbilly Jim is still alive. It's not really surprising, it's just something I didn't know.

Jim was also the only one who was in pretty good shape too. The others were just huge fat slobs.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
I'm ashamed to be talking up WWF in this WCW thread, so let me ask a question - what were the best hillbilly gimmicks in WCW?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Son of Man posted:

I'm ashamed to be talking up WWF in this WCW thread, so let me ask a question - what were the best hillbilly gimmicks in WCW?

Ted Turner

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So there's a small chance it might be bulshit, but I do recall this being mentioned in the Death of WCW. A reddit user has posted some concept art for a proposed WCW cartoon back in 1999. Someone tweeted Bischoff and he said he's never heard of it but the book mentions that it had been proposed around 1999 but got squashed in early 2000.

https://imgur.com/a/aI1gZ

Tex Mech is an amazing villain name and holy poo poo Eric Bischoff as the teen hero is hysterical

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 23, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Son of Man posted:

WCW didn't do hillbilly gimmicks quite as much due to their appeal to the south; I think they correctly surmised that you could do archetypes like Bunkhouse Buck, Dirty Dick Slater, the Texas Hangmen and such, but having actual hillbillies like Uncle Elmer or Hillbilly Jim was a bad idea because it was sorta insulting to the audience. Characters like that always felt like Vince giving the competition the finger to me. To wit, Henry Godwin had a cup of coffee in WCW, but he wasn't a pig farmer, he was Shanghai Pierce, half of the Texas Hangmen, and he wore a mask (Dusty Rhodes thought he was too good looking to be a heel otherwise, no poo poo).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Cyber-Bret fighting a Siamese twin tag team in a cornfield definitely belongs in WCW, but in 1989.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

So there's a small chance it might be bulshit, but I do recall this being mentioned in the Death of WCW. A reddit user has posted some concept art for a proposed WCW cartoon back in 1999. Someone tweeted Bischoff and he said he's never heard of it but the book mentions that it had been proposed around 1999 but got squashed in early 2000.

https://imgur.com/a/aI1gZ

Tex Mech is an amazing villain name and holy poo poo Eric Bischoff as the teen hero is hysterical

This looks too 80s even for the 80s, let alone nearly 2000

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't think that's real, and wasn't Bischoff basically not doing poo poo by mid-1999 anyways?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

I don't think that's real, and wasn't Bischoff basically not doing poo poo by mid-1999 anyways?

He was increasingly isolated from the product until he was sent home in September 99.

In other news for anyone who wants in on the ground floor of WCW's worst period, we're in April of 99 on Tuesday Nitro.

The new set debuted last week, we just watched Spring Stampede (the only great WCW PPV between spring 99 and spring 01, and really the only great wrestling PPV of 99) and it's pretty much all downhill from here. We'll see the best WCW title match of the Nitro era in a week or two and then everything spins out of control in the most god awful clusterfuck ever.

Things to look forward to:

Ric Flair in an asylum
Macho Man and Kevin Nash try to pour poop on each other
THE RETURN OF HULKAMANIA
The Millenium Man
Rap is Crap
DJ Ran getting up in all of our areas
The Junkyard Invitational

AND SO MUCH MORE!

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 23, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

He was increasingly isolated from the product until he was sent home in September 99.

In other news for anyone who wants in on the ground floor of WCW's worst period, we're in April of 99 on Tuesday Nitro.

The new set debuted last week, we just watched Spring Stampede (the only great WCW PPV between spring 99 and spring 01, and really the only great wrestling PPV of 99) and it's pretty much all downhill from here. We'll see the best WCW title match of the Nitro era in a week or two and then everything spins out of control in the most god awful clusterfuck ever.

Ric Flair in an asylum
THE RETURN OF HULKAMANIA
The Millenium Man
Rap is Crap

AND SO MUCH MORE!

4 and a half months out before the Russo match to end all Russo matches

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

The absolute worst doesn't really come until March/April 2000.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

The absolute worst doesn't really come until March/April 2000.

Summer of 99 is worse. I will die on that hill.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gonna agree with MRT here. 2000 was terrible, but mid to late 99 was historic

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Oh really? Well tell me something, how many matches did La Parka wrestle for WCW in April 2000?

I'm waiting. :colbert:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh really? Well tell me something, how many matches did La Parka wrestle for WCW in April 2000?

I'm waiting. :colbert:

So you two agree, then.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

russo nitro is horrendous but extremely watchable

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
One of the fun aspects is looking for bright spots. I remember a period where the only thing to look forward to was the tag division being booked by Raven, with a bunch of good matches between The Filthy Animals, the Horsemen, and Raven and Saturn

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

Having lived through both, 99 before Russo and 2000 under Sullivan before Russo and Bischoff are the two worst periods.

Russo was a car-wreck. It was awful and tragic, but it was at least something to watch. The summer of 99 was just... ugh.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I wonder how successful Russo would have been the first time around if Bret and Jarrett didn't both get injured at the same time.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Backing up to Beefcake chat for a second:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7OPKZLrOTs

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I know it's spoilers, but I want to know the date when we'll be watching the "Randy savage tries to dump poo poo on Hogan". I don't want to miss wrestling history on Tuesday Nitro.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Backing up to Beefcake chat for a second:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7OPKZLrOTs

I always thought Butcher was an ok name and a decent callback to The Barber nick.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

1st AD posted:

I wonder how successful Russo would have been the first time around if Bret and Jarrett didn't both get injured at the same time.

I know Russo and Double J are tight, but how did Bret and Vince get along?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I know Russo and Double J are tight, but how did Bret and Vince get along?

Extremely well if you believe Wrestling with Shadows.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I know it's spoilers, but I want to know the date when we'll be watching the "Randy savage tries to dump poo poo on Hogan". I don't want to miss wrestling history on Tuesday Nitro.

Should be about 3 months but I won't be shutting up about it when we get close.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Say Nothing posted:

Baron Beefcake
Big Brother Booty
The Booty Man
Brother Bruti
Brute Force
Brutus Beefcake
The Butcher
The Clipmaster
The Disciple
Dizzy Hogan
Ed Boulder
Eddie Hogan
The Mariner
The Man With No Name
The Zodiac
The Zodiac Man

Bit late on the EdLeslie chat, but you forgot the best one.

Brutus The Barber! I think it started vs Adorable Adrian Adonis, which led to a hair vs hair match which Brutus won and he just kept the gimmick, tassled hedgeclippers and all. I also used to like how he would only cut a tiny lock of hair from his defeated opponents, but they would sell it like a swarm of bees.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

BrigadierSensible posted:

Bit late on the EdLeslie chat, but you forgot the best one.

Brutus The Barber! I think it started vs Adorable Adrian Adonis, which led to a hair vs hair match which Brutus won and he just kept the gimmick, tassled hedgeclippers and all. I also used to like how he would only cut a tiny lock of hair from his defeated opponents, but they would sell it like a swarm of bees.

Except for IIRC Lanny Poffo. Did they have some kind of backstage beef or something? Because he absolutely murders that dude's hair in a way where his only option would have been to head to supercuts the next day and get it all shaved off.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Tony Schiavone is working at Starbucks now.

Jokes made already by my rasslin' crew:

(Five minutes to 10pm) "Coffee fans, we are desperately out of time! But we'll stay right here as long as it takes to get you your Frappuccino."

Back Leg Front Espresso

White mocha, you can go to hell. Straight to hell. *throws headset*

Sadly, Dusty is not around to rejoin his old broadcast colleague. "WELL LET ME TELL YOU TONY, WE GOT A CUSTOMAH AT THE PAY WINDAH. HE WANTS AN ICEE COFFEE, HOT AND COLD TOGETHER LIKE SCOTT FLASH NORTON AND ICE TRAIN IF YA WEEEELL." "And fans, we've learned that later on tonight, the Dunkin Donuts across the street is going to promote Mick Foley to manager. *scoffs* That'll put cars in the drive-thru."

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

skaboomizzy posted:

Tony Schiavone is working at Starbucks now.

Jokes made already by my rasslin' crew:

(Five minutes to 10pm) "Coffee fans, we are desperately out of time! But we'll stay right here as long as it takes to get you your Frappuccino."

Back Leg Front Espresso

White mocha, you can go to hell. Straight to hell. *throws headset*

Sadly, Dusty is not around to rejoin his old broadcast colleague. "WELL LET ME TELL YOU TONY, WE GOT A CUSTOMAH AT THE PAY WINDAH. HE WANTS AN ICEE COFFEE, HOT AND COLD TOGETHER LIKE SCOTT FLASH NORTON AND ICE TRAIN IF YA WEEEELL." "And fans, we've learned that later on tonight, the Dunkin Donuts across the street is going to promote Mick Foley to manager. *scoffs* That'll put cars in the drive-thru."

He worked a work until he worked himself into a shoot job, brother.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

RZApublican posted:

He worked a work until he worked himself into a shoot job, brother.

Lemme get a double shoot of espresso.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
He was at Denny's for a little while, but they had the sense to fire him for calling everything a sidewalk slam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

MassRafTer posted:

Ric Flair in an asylum
THE RETURN OF HULKAMANIA
The Millenium Man
Rap is Crap

AND SO MUCH MORE!

Alright, I just finished Death of WCW and i'm in