Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hisoka doesn't exactly have low standards, and he thought Leorio made the cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Hisoka doesn't exactly have low standards, and he thought Leorio made the cut.

that's just because of his good looks.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
At Heaven's Arena, Wing mentioned to Gon and Killua how well other recent hunters were doing in Nen training. Pokkle was mentioned as struggling with the basics and was shooting his rainbow during the beginning of chimera ants (R.I.P.). So Leorio knowing teleport punches at the election doesn't sound too crazy.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I like Leorio because he has an important role in the story that a lot of shonen wouldn't give him. He's the "Krillin" for lack of a better word of the group, the weakest of the lot who is defined by his friendship to the others.

I think he's defined by more than just being friends with everyone else. When it was just Kurapika, Gon and Him everyone had their own areas of knowledge. Kurapika has his expertise in esoteric knowledge (ancient customs and most recently underworld knowledge), Gon is a wild child and the shonen protagonist, and Leorio is the world savvy character and the most down to earth of the three. Even his first appearance in the York Shin arc highlights this, he's on top of what phone to buy and how to haggle; he knows what the auction they are trying to get into is, and ways to get money to make everything work. It's nice because it gives the group a nice balance when they are all together, it sucks because when it gets to the action bits Leorio can't keep up.

A couple of people already pointed it out but he doesn't have the shonen power scaling that Gon and Killua have, and he didn't take as many shortcuts to develop his ability as Kurapika did. But he still has developed his own hatsu and Ging does note that the principles behind his warping punch, and the aura pulsing speak volumes about how he's applied his own medical knowledge. He's done a lot in the year or so since York Shin and even then he was already on par with everyone during the Heaven's Arena; he just took time off to study medicine and jerk off. But when it get's down to the fights he's not a top contender. His biggest contribution to the Phantom Troupe side of YS was pretending to be a businessman. After that he's the wheelman and that's really it. During the Hunter's Exam he is constantly on the weak side of things getting almost eliminated time and time again but always managing to luck out in the end due to someone else's intervening. Heck even after joining the Zodiacs his biggest contribution was inviting Kurapika.

I'm hoping that this arc turns into the Leorio super hour because he's the underdog right now and he's clearly got things to prove.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Unfortunately, there is still the ship arc to get through before Leorio and the dark continent stuff. Don't get me wrong, both the current fight and the ship arc are fascinating, but it is gonna take years before that arc starts if it ever happens at all.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Level Seven posted:

At Heaven's Arena, Wing mentioned to Gon and Killua how well other recent hunters were doing in Nen training. Pokkle was mentioned as struggling with the basics and was shooting his rainbow during the beginning of chimera ants (R.I.P.). So Leorio knowing teleport punches at the election doesn't sound too crazy.

At that point Leorio didn't even know about Nen. He's not a one in a billion genius like Gon or Killua, but he's still smart as gently caress. Between York New and the election he went from not knowing anything about Nen to enough mastery to sucker punch Ging of all people. That's impressive as gently caress.

Doubly so since he didn't have Biscuit, Morel, and Netero giving him tips while he was constantly going up against world class opponents. Hell he didn't even happen across a wondering master while having a singularly driving vengeance fantasy like Kurapika. Let alone grow up in the insane environments that the other 3 did.

Leorio passed the Hunter exam, studied to be a doctor, then found out about nen and got to the level of Ging catching warp punches in a few months or so. We know Zushi is a Nen genius, and he's been training for years with a top level master. Leorio surpassed him easily and with very little actual help. His buddies told him magic exists and the next time he shows up he's casting spells on his own.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gyges posted:

Let alone grow up in the insane environments that the other 3 did.

I bet leeorios dad was very present in his life

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gyges posted:

At that point Leorio didn't even know about Nen. He's not a one in a billion genius like Gon or Killua, but he's still smart as gently caress. Between York New and the election he went from not knowing anything about Nen to enough mastery to sucker punch Ging of all people. That's impressive as gently caress.

Doubly so since he didn't have Biscuit, Morel, and Netero giving him tips while he was constantly going up against world class opponents. Hell he didn't even happen across a wondering master while having a singularly driving vengeance fantasy like Kurapika. Let alone grow up in the insane environments that the other 3 did.

Leorio passed the Hunter exam, studied to be a doctor, then found out about nen and got to the level of Ging catching warp punches in a few months or so. We know Zushi is a Nen genius, and he's been training for years with a top level master. Leorio surpassed him easily and with very little actual help. His buddies told him magic exists and the next time he shows up he's casting spells on his own.

To be fair, Ging could have dodged but felt he deserved getting hit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Leorio found a master, we just don't know the specifics. Part of the second hunter exam was nen masters making themselves available to everyone who passed the first exam. In the anime, Kurapika's master had to make a really hard sell before Kurapika would listen to him at all. Wing was inclined to be less forceful and more manipulative, is all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Plus this is still a manga so you get as powerful as the story needs you in however long the story requires.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leorio is the guy who showed up to his first DnD session with a normal sensible character, only to find out the other players are a minmaxer who took an assassin prestige class at level one, a highschooler who thinks revenge is the most metal thing on earth, and a kid with major daddy issues who got a bunch of stat buffs because the GM felt sorry for him.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Somebody in the Toonami thread described hunters as "Basically D&D adventurers," and it was the most accurate thing I've ever read.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Leorio's getting thrown to the insane death continent now so it's inevitable he's gonna level up fast.

Or die, but I don't think Togashi's going that far just yet.

Gyges posted:

Kurapika intentionally refused to use the proper level of respect for his elder despite being corrected 2 times. Leorio then talked poo poo about Kurapika's clan and a duel was on. It was 60-40 Kurapika/Leorio fighting over dumb poo poo.

Age based honorifics seem like a real pain in the rear end.

IIRC it was about Kurapika repeatedly refusing to use the -san suffix.
Using -san is perfectly adequate when interacting with a passing acquaintance, particularly if that person is older, whereas no honorific at all is only used by people close to you and is otherwise considered very rude.

So Kurapika refusing to use -san is more or less on the same level as deliberately getting his name wrong. He was being a bit of a shithead.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Tunicate posted:

To be fair, Ging could have dodged but felt he deserved getting hit.

Not even that, he just thought Leorio could win the election because of his personality and took the hit to put that plan into motion.

I've always found it funny that Pariston thought the opposite, despite knowing how much Ging is disliked, he really believed that if it was between him and Ging, he would'v lost the vote for sure

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Ging's disliked, but he's also one of the most accomplished, powerful and influential Hunters in the world, whereas Pariston is also a known rat bastard.

Bad Seafood posted:

Somebody in the Toonami thread described hunters as "Basically D&D adventurers," and it was the most accurate thing I've ever read.

I may have liberally stolen from Hunter x Hunter for my own games. I'm a working nen rules system away from cutting the pretence and just running a Hunter Exam game.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 22, 2016

rosenritter
Feb 22, 2014
I, for one, am glad that this has temporarily turned into the Leorio Appreciation Thread.

I hope in 20 years we get to see Leorio reach his potential.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Ging's disliked, but he's also one of the most accomplished, powerful and influential Hunters in the world, whereas Pariston is also a known rat bastard.

I may have liberally stolen from Hunter x Hunter for my own games. I'm a working nen rules system away from cutting the pretence and just running a Hunter Exam game.

Been working on one that's based loosely around Mage the Ascension's (GURPS conversion) magick spheres. Been stalled out though due to circumstances. The only thing keeping a good tabletop HxH scenario from happening for me is getting Hatsu abilities to have rules but not be super rigid in construction.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

That's the thing though,only the higher ups thought that. Everyone else was either in his pocket or he swayed them with charm. Ging had no respect despite his legendary achievements, so I think Pariston was betting he would use Gon as a platform to get sympathy like Leorio did, except he'd be really campaigning for it if he did.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm sure when they get to the Dark Continent and have to fight bizarre diseases and parasites that have their own Nen capabilities, Leorio will be one of the most useful people since his Nen abilities were not specifically meant for facing opponents.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm sure when they get to the Dark Continent and have to fight bizarre diseases and parasites that have their own Nen capabilities, Leorio will be one of the most useful people since his Nen abilities were not specifically meant for facing opponents.

Well, they're also pretty rad for facing opponents as Ging showed. It's doubtful Leorio will reach that level, but at least we have an idea of what Leorio is potentially capable of.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He sucker punched a guy who simply didn't bother to dodge. Leorio's nen has a lot of potential, but he hasn't demonstrated anything remotely impressive yet.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
It's not so much that Leorio's a nen natural or whatever, it's that he had come up with an insanely versatile power that even Ging acknowledges as such. Which seems to be surprisingly hard considering the nen powers we've seen so far. Whether he uses it to its full potential or not is completely unknown, but hopefully we'll see in this arc.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

He sucker punched a guy who simply didn't bother to dodge. Leorio's nen has a lot of potential, but he hasn't demonstrated anything remotely impressive yet.

It did when Ging was using it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

My take is that Ging could put a lot more power behind it, but Leorio could perform heart surgery by punching someone in the chest, once he works the kinks out. A surgeon's more about fine control, ya know?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tunicate posted:

It did when Ging was using it.

Ging is remarkably talented at everything but being a decent human being. Leorio is more or less the opposite, albeit at much less drastic extremes.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Hey, for all we know, Leorio could reach directly into a man's soul and pull out all the bad bits.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i wanna be friends with leorio

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
I want to be leorio

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I want to be the coolest hunter Morel.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

When Gon gets his powers back he should just copy Morel.

Like Morel's whole limit is lung capacity and Gon was able to hold his breath for ten minutes while carrying three people without using Nen.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Like Morel's whole limit is lung capacity and Gon was able to hold his breath for ten minutes while carrying three people without using Nen.

So Gon enhances the air to be deadly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
just like in baki

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tunicate posted:

But he's too young to buy tobacco so he has to turn to a life of crime to keep using his nen :ohdear:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Begemot posted:

But he's too young to buy tobacco so he has to turn to a life of crime to keep using his nen :ohdear:

the hunter license gets you out of most crimes

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rangpur posted:

My take is that Ging could put a lot more power behind it, but Leorio could perform heart surgery by punching someone in the chest, once he works the kinks out. A surgeon's more about fine control, ya know?

I've already read the adventures of Dr. Kenshiro but I like the idea of Leorio becoming the next master of "The healing punch". My interpretation of the warp punch is that, much like the pirate boxer from Greed Island, it's strength is a 1:1 to the physical force of the original impact and what we see is a nen "echo". But either way it's clear that Ging pulled his punches because we can safely assume that those mercs wouldn't be able to stand up to him physically or aura wise.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Leorio and indeed most of the characters going will be dead within 2 chapters of stepping on to the Dark Continent.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Leorio's character arc is going to be reaching his fist into our universe, directly into the author's spine, to fix it.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
here's togashi's weekly death letter

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I hope Oda's ankle is okay :ohdear:

Also Togashi's everything, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012