Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Dammit i need to know which bugs cartoon this is from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I know it was a few weeks ago, but big thanks to whoever fixed the page loading issue when there was inbedded webm or gifv or whatever the issue actually was. That was an annoying bug and it's nice to have it fixed.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Jacada posted:

This app is good. I like it very much. 7 out of 5. This was my review.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A lot of nonanimated gifs are being covered up with the play icon, which can be a real pain in places like the comic strip megathread.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

If you select "show only my posts" in a thread where you have less than one page of posts, it will show all your posts at the top and then fill in to 40 with the posts on page 1.

E: huh, only works this way for me in one thread. Weird.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elyv posted:

If you select "show only my posts" in a thread where you have less than one page of posts, it will show all your posts at the top and then fill in to 40 with the posts on page 1.

E: huh, only works this way for me in one thread. Weird.

It has consistently done that for me everywhere.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Show only my posts has never worked right for me. Always fills in with random posts.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
For a while now clicking on links crashes the app. Is this just me or everyone?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I like the new grenade icon.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Toshimo posted:

I like the new grenade icon.

:same:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

tentish klown posted:

For a while now clicking on links crashes the app. Is this just me or everyone?
No I get that too.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

WebDog posted:

No I get that too.

Interesting, is it every link or just some?

Also: what device on what android version?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
When I click on a frozen GIF it plays it as a duplicate GIF underneath the original with the play button and semi transparent overlay still on it. I'll see if I can post s screenshot as an example.

Edit: oddly enough this only happens on unread posts with "hide old images" enabled, might take some time to find an example.

FedEx Mercury fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 12, 2016

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Sereri posted:

Interesting, is it every link or just some?

Also: what device on what android version?

Sent a crash report.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Still not seeing your name anywhere. Wait, do you have a Mi3 by any chance?

Meanwhile:
3.2.3.2:
- Fixed bug in the PM view on pre-lollipop devices

I love the fact that during the entire week that this was broken, only a total of 3 people with pre-lollipop devices used the PM list and crashed due to this bug.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Sereri posted:

Meanwhile:
3.2.3.2:
- Fixed bug in the PM view on pre-lollipop devices

I love the fact that during the entire week that this was broken, only a total of 3 people with pre-lollipop devices used the PM list and crashed due to this bug.

A Mi Note LTE, if that helps? I'm gonna try to fix that bug myself this weekend if I get time.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Sereri posted:

I have the same issue with a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

tentish klown posted:

A Mi Note LTE, if that helps? I'm gonna try to fix that bug myself this weekend if I get time.

RichardA posted:

I have the same issue with a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3.

So as far as I can tell this is caused by a recent refactoring that simplified a chunk of code to a single line by using a library. For some reason, (some?) Xiaomi devices also ship with the same library, but in a very old version (like it came out in 2008), that overrides the one that comes with Awful. And as you can guess, the old version is missing the method we're using.

This is unfortunate, especially since the number of users affected is very low, but we'll try to work around this.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Is there a way to have the app start on the bookmarks screen? Would I need a launcher that can create shortcuts to app intents or whatever they're called? I looked through the settings and didn't see anything immediately obvious.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yes, there is a bookmarks shortcut (/ "widget")

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Oh, that's great. Thanks!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The avatar in my menu is the avatar I had like 2 years ago. I've changed avs like 7 times since then. What's up with that

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

The avatar in my menu is the avatar I had like 2 years ago. I've changed avs like 7 times since then. What's up with that

Go to Settings -> Account -> Refresh account features

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I just had the app crash in me for the first time in what seems like years!

Pretty impressive compared to your average Android app.

(submitted bug report)

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Thermopyle posted:

I just had the app crash in me for the first time in what seems like years!

Pretty impressive compared to your average Android app.

(submitted bug report)

Willing to bet it was a giant-rear end picture what did it. That seems to be the only thing that crashes the app for me these days.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Willing to bet it was a giant-rear end picture what did it. That seems to be the only thing that crashes the app for me these days.

It was while I was making a post on this page: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751764&pagenumber=44

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Daztek posted:

Go to Settings -> Account -> Refresh account features

Thanks

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Attempting to scroll the thread view up or down while my finger is over the code block in this post causes the thread list to pop over instead (as if I had swiped right instead of up or down). I'm on Kit Kat and using the OLED theme if that makes a difference.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 23, 2016

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's when the thread is at the bottom or top, so the pull-to-refresh is triggered and it interacts weirdly with the view swiping. Haven't been able to work out what the hell is going on there, but if you need to scroll the block the best thing to do is scroll the thread away from the top or bottom a bit first

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

The post I linked is in the middle of the thread so I don't think it's a problem with pull-to-refresh.

Edit: I disabled pull-to-refresh in the settings and it still happens. Incidentally I found another bug: if you disable pull-to-refresh the functionality is disabled but the animation remains enabled until you restart the app.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 23, 2016

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oh weird, I don't get the horizontal glitch on my phone so I'll have to try an emulator. Are you on phone or tablet, is it in tablet mode, does it happen in portrait and landscape?

I'll check the pull to refresh thing too, cheers!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

I'm on a phone (2013 Moto X) in portrait mode.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Mr.Radar posted:

I'm on a phone (2013 Moto X) in portrait mode.
I have the same phone, but cannot reproduce the problem. I am on Lollipop though, so it is probably a Kit Kat issue.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Ardlen posted:

I have the same phone, but cannot reproduce the problem. I am on Lollipop though, so it is probably a Kit Kat issue.
In that case I can live with it. Thanks.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Sereri posted:

Do you have a Mi3 by any chance?
Yeah a Redmi note 3. It's Anything that links out, be it clicking on Imgur links to a url address.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Trying to post this:

[video-]https://youtu.be/Win5nErh7zA
[/video-]

Results in this:
[video type="youtu"]Win5nErh7zA[/video]

Kind of broken. Also would be cool if pressing the insert video button automatically pasted the clipboard contents.

FedEx Mercury fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 25, 2016

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah that's on the to-do list

:frogsiren: EXCITING SURVEY TIME :frogsiren:

Hi friends! Do you use a tablet (or something that can handle the tablet layout) with this fine application?
Can you spare a minute to give us your thoughts and/or reckons?

(phone layout means the single-screen view, tablet layout is the one where you can have the forum/thread list next to something else.
Settings > Device and Navigation > Thread Layout if this is news!)

My app version is (under About in Settings):
?
Which orientation do you generally use?
portrait/landscape/both
If you use portrait, which layout do you prefer to use?
phone/tablet/both (details pls)
If you use landscape, which layout do you prefer?
phone/tablet/both (more details pls)

TABLET LAYOUT:
Do you like threads opening fullscreen in landscape, or would you prefer to keep the thread/forum list on the side?
fullscreen / next to list (with optional fullscreen button)
Do you like swiping around, like in the phone layout?
it's great / it's weird in tablet mode / I hate it everywhere
What do you like about the tablet layout?

And what's bad / stops you from using it?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
App version: 3.2.3.2

I use it on a Nexus 5X and a Nexus 7 2013; I keep both in phone mode, as I prefer holding the tablet in portrait mode over landscape.

When the N7 is in portrait+tablet mode, the columns are only about 1-2" in width which is pretty useless for me since most of the non-thread content is cut off anyhow. Having both in phone mode also means that I have the same UI on both devices.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

baka kaba posted:

Which orientation do you generally use?
both
(Prefer portrait)
If you use portrait, which layout do you prefer to use?
tablet because it owns and phone is a complete waste of space
If you use landscape, which layout do you prefer?
tablet because it owns and phone is a complete waste of space

TABLET LAYOUT:
Do you like threads opening fullscreen in landscape, or would you prefer to keep the thread/forum list on the side?
fullscreen, if i make a mistake and accidentally click a thread i dont want it's a quick swipe to get back the thread list panel (aka no big deal)
Do you like swiping around, like in the phone layout?
No and if i had the screen space on my phone id use tablet layout on that too
What do you like about the tabletit'sout?
Much less obtrusive than phone layout and if you're thinking about getting rid of it just get that idea right out of your head!!!
And what's bad / stops you from using it?
My phone doesnt have the space for it to really work well, but it's perfect for a tablet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Just my general thoughts on Tablet Layout.

I honestly don't use it, because I don't feel the need to have two half-pages open. When I'm reading a thread from my bookmarks I don't bother jumping back and forward.

It also just feels like a phone+ layout and not a tablet layout.

Take GMail on the tablet for example: It uses a small section on the side as a always displaying menu, which is a bit more handy.

Even if two threads could be open at once, that would be great.

This has been an unorganized thoughts post, sorry about that.