Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ein cooler Typ posted:

and why does Gilfoyle need to work for Geek Squad? Can Pied Piper not afford to pay him a salary anymore?
Are you—

Are you serious with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

Are you—

Are you serious with this?

Just as serious as (s)he is about living under bridges and freshly-baked bonemeal bread. (I hope.)

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Did Big Head type up the contract as Bachmann dictated it?

It looked like Big Head go distracted on the part about how disputes will be settled with a coin flip. I wonder if he hosed that up and if it will come back up later.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think no matter what, we're going to end up with something where Bighead screwed up but it still works out for him. I'm interested to see what it is.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Kanish posted:

I also think perhaps his signatures might also be invalid on the hooli contract, but who knows where they are going with this.

This isn't a real thing. If he signed it, he signed it. No matter what his mark looked like.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

quote:

But they do have a nice juicer in the kitchen.
And they're now valued at 250 million dollars.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Zero One posted:

This isn't a real thing. If he signed it, he signed it. No matter what his mark looked like.

To say nothing of the fact that he was signing the documents in Bachman's 'incubator' within clear line of sight of easily 4-5 witnesses (and Jared, whom I think is incapable of lying) who could attest to seeing him sign the documents, while speaking clearly about the fact that he was signing documents *about* his partnership with Bachman. There's no 'airplane, meet treadmill' here. It's obviously going to blow up in Bachman's face *somehow*, while Bighead will come out ahead, but yeah, let's not have a loving week's worth of armchair contract lawyers making this the new spergpoint.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So by the end of the season Richard won't be CEO anymore, correct?

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

To say nothing of the fact that he was signing the documents in Bachman's 'incubator' within clear line of sight of easily 4-5 witnesses (and Jared, whom I think is incapable of lying) who could attest to seeing him sign the documents, while speaking clearly about the fact that he was signing documents *about* his partnership with Bachman. There's no 'airplane, meet treadmill' here. It's obviously going to blow up in Bachman's face *somehow*, while Bighead will come out ahead, but yeah, let's not have a loving week's worth of armchair contract lawyers making this the new spergpoint.

I really know nothing about how that all works, I think people are harping on it just because he made a big point of how his signature wouldn't hold up, so naturally you wonder when the other shoe will drop.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I consistently identify with Big Head's personality and reactions and I have no idea if that means I should be rooting for him or not rooting for him.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

And they're now valued at 250 million dollars.

Yes, as Richard now the CEO says, "We're a $250 million company...that's dead-rear end broke"

Solice Kirsk posted:

So by the end of the season Richard won't be CEO anymore, correct?
The way this show rolls. could be by the end of the next episode.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kanish posted:

I really know nothing about how that all works, I think people are harping on it just because he made a big point of how his signature wouldn't hold up, so naturally you wonder when the other shoe will drop.
Bachman was taking pictures of him signing the drat things the whole time, though, so while it's certainly going to come up at some point, I don't know how huge it's going to be.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

withak posted:

It is some kind of rare beer.

What's the definition of rare beer here?

bawfuls posted:

It's pretty good. I waited in line for it once (because that's the only way to get it generally) and it was fine. Not worth waiting in line for again though.
If you waited in line for it you either went on a bizarrely crowded day and didn't just go into the purchase room or you actually waited for Pliny the Younger, which is the very limited release beer available usually in mid-February. If you live in the bay area getting Elder isn't hard, just drive up to Santa Rosa and blow a weekend doing beer/wine tasting, acting like an rear end in a top hat optional.

I mean, years back I sent out some bottles of Elder and Blind Pig to other goons in Beer Exchange but should I do that again and boost the trade value?

Zachack fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 24, 2016

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I understand all the complaints about the subpar plot and Richard generally being a frustrating protagonist, but the comedy is just so on point that it doesn't really matter to me. Not only are Jared, Erlich, Guilfoyle and Dinesh hilarious individually, but their chemistry is also through the roof. Its just a joy to watch.

Jared's "oh captain my captain!" bit...amazing.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
It's...it's almost as if the comedy is found in the characters being flawed!

Jesus, you people demanding flawless protagonists want a really boring show, don't you.

I will never understand folks who think a character making a bad decision is the same as the show itself being bad.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

CelestialScribe posted:

Jesus, you people demanding flawless protagonists want a really boring show, don't you.

I will never understand folks who think a character making a bad decision is the same as the show itself being bad.
The other characters are funny and flawed and relatable. I feel Dinesh's horror at the loss of his hard drive. But Richard had zero redeeming qualities this episode and it made me root against him the entire time.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ein cooler Typ posted:

This show relies too much on wacky sitcom misunderstandings like Richard being in the wrong conference room

We should be beyond these tropes in tyool 2015

It's called farce. The show has always been farcical. Mike Judge's projects have always been farcical.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

VagueRant posted:

The other characters are funny and flawed and relatable. I feel Dinesh's horror at the loss of his hard drive. But Richard had zero redeeming qualities this episode and it made me root against him the entire time.

He doesn't need to have any. Jesus Christ.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

CelestialScribe posted:

I don't know about "flawless", but I personally wish they'd make fewer bad decisions. Some of their fuckups are funny and/or drive the plot forward, but I don't think I'm alone in saying that it feels like the screwups can make the show less fun to watch sometimes. I was actually really down on this episode until I saw everything get resolved by the end. We have heard enough stories about Pied Piper accidentally giving away their IP, or Richard being awkward and screwing things up, and for a while it seemed like they could never have any unqualified successes.

No, I don't want to watch a show where the protagonists handle themselves flawlessly and create their business with no problems along the way, but they can write conflict coming from exterior sources, or at least let them have a solid win at the end, like in this last episode. I don't know that I would continue watching this show if the next episode was about how another compression company was sticking it to Pied Piper after having bought Dinesh's hard drive. I'm just not entertained by so much consistent failure.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Characters can have flaws but they should be consistent.

RIGBY we see 2 or 3 examples of Richard being unable to speak a coherent sentence when he is stressed.
Then he enters the conference room and launches into a well spoken 1000 word 'Here's what I'm not allowed to say to the reporter' monologue without a problem.

Then he is made CEO and goes back to being awkward and unable to speak intelligibly - to a few employees he can only see on computer monitors.

and then there's the matter of the PR rep who was going to coach Richard, and the reporter...both being booked into different conference rooms at the same time?! Huh. Wouldn't you schedule the PR rep for the morning and the interview for the afternoon, or at least book the PR for an hour or two prior to the reporter showing up. Kinda clunky writing.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 24, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I don't know if anyone here wants to read a critical review of this farcical show but The AV Club makes a few good points in their episode review, eg:

quote:

Clearly the writers want Richard and company to still be in the position of the underdog because that’s the heroic place for them to be, fighting against the forces of entropy and idiocy that distinguish the successful. Much of the episode is an aggressive move to get us back to that position, and while it does that job in a way that makes sense it also does so with such speed it raises questions why a chunk of what happened to date in the season happened. And by dipping deeper into the cringe comedy pool than ever before, it also raises questions as to whether or not stepping back is the right decision for a Richard who still has a lot to learn.

Pied Piper’s return to their bare bones days is one that’s presented out of necessity, as their original cash influx from Raviga has been burned through thanks to office expenses and Jack’s severance package. Abandoning the box means that they don’t have a product ready for market to unlock the next stage of their funding, a move which illustrates that for all their gripes with him Jack knew what he was doing. Richard’s stratagem to deal with this makes sense on paper—downsize the staff to the core engineers until there’s something to market, save office space by relocating back to Erlich’s living room—but it also comes at cross-purposes to a lot of where this season has gone. As Erik Adams observed in his pre-air review, Silicon Valley is a show that needs to grow past its roots to truly satirize the industry, and going back to running the company from an overcrowded table feels like a retreat to the comfort zone.
and in conclusion

quote:

The episode ends with all the pieces put back to where they were before: Richard is once again CEO and Pied Piper is back to being run out of a living room. Sure there’s a fancy new chair for Richard to sit in and there’s a full team of engineers building their platform remotely, but all of it still feels like the same. Given that “the same” is still one of television’s best comedies that’s not a damning statement on make, but with how great season’ three’s been as Pied Piper moves into the big leagues “The Empty Chair” can’t help but come across as a disappointment.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 24, 2016

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
It's not hard guys. The creators have said that as soon as Pied Piper wins the show will be boring because there's no conflict. They have to be perpetual underdogs or the magic is gone. This is how it has to be when you don't know how long the show will air - if they win too soon you'll have multiple seasons where they have nothing significant to do. The real problem is some sort you identify so strongly with the team that you want them to succeed so seeing these constant halting steps is going to drive you nuts. Just enjoy the comedy, the plot is absolutely secondary.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 24, 2016

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Binary Logic posted:

Characters can have flaws but they should be consistent.

RIGBY we see 2 or 3 examples of Richard being unable to speak a coherent sentence when he is stressed.
Then he enters the conference room and launches into a well spoken 1000 word 'Here's what I'm not allowed to say to the reporter' monologue without a problem.

Then he is made CEO and goes back to being awkward and unable to speak intelligibly - to a few employees he can only see on computer monitors.

Richard is unable to speak coherent sentences when he's stressed until he reaches a breaking point, then he's on point. See: negotiating Jack out of firing them and getting to work on the platform last episode.

He's always been fairly consistent in that regard.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Enderzero posted:

It's not hard guys. The creators have said that as soon as Pied Piper wins the show will be boring because there's no conflict. They have to be perpetual underdogs or the magic is gone. This is how it has to be when you don't know how long the show will air - if they win too soon you'll have multiple seasons where they have nothing significant to do.

That's not necessarily true. You can have them "win" by becoming a successful company and releasing their platform, and then tap into the wide range of external conflict that they've flirted with in the past, like Gavin Belson's rivalry -- make the Endframe compression team the main villains, or another startup out to steal their market, or another Maliant out to co-opt their tech, or something like the Oracle/Google lawsuits going on right now, with another company using their tech and claiming "fair use". Or hell, just show all the pressure that comes with expanding your business and finding new hires, dealing with remote office employees, having to actually host the awkward extravagant parties that featured in season 1, etc. I think it's taking a very narrow view of the subject matter to decide that your protagonists need to take 6 seasons and a movie to just get their project off the ground, suggesting that the only possible way to introduce conflict is by having the protagonists gently caress things up over and over. I've already come up with a half-dozen plotlines for a Pied Piper business that isn't continually getting hosed over.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

Can you give this in a letter ranking, thx.

---

As a part of the Amram Fanfam, this episode is less "her" than some of the other stuff she's written (Ant Farm, Children's Hospital, Parks). Expected more clever wordplay; maybe SV works in a tighter room structure. You can see something like "Fan Fiction" from Children's as filled with Meganisms.

The hell is this. I don't know who you are talking about.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Richard becoming CEO is hopefully so he can learn he shouldn't be CEO. It made sense to fire him at the end of last season as everyone on the planet knows he's not leadership material; Richard himself has yet to learn that lesson. I'm hoping the last half of the season is Richard figuring out for himself what everyone else knew and stepping down, rather than getting fired. Again.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mortanis posted:

Richard becoming CEO is hopefully so he can learn he shouldn't be CEO. It made sense to fire him at the end of last season as everyone on the planet knows he's not leadership material; Richard himself has yet to learn that lesson. I'm hoping the last half of the season is Richard figuring out for himself what everyone else knew and stepping down, rather than getting fired. Again.

In terms of narrative arc, this would make the most sense. He starts the season out desperately trying to prove that he's worthy of the CEO job. Now that he has it, the logical next step is him getting smacked in the face with the responsibility that comes with that, and he can either rise to meet that responsibility or realize that it's not what he actually wants.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Richard has to be CEO for awhile, they don't have the money to hire anyone else.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Zachack posted:

What's the definition of rare beer here?

If you waited in line for it you either went on a bizarrely crowded day and didn't just go into the purchase room or you actually waited for Pliny the Younger, which is the very limited release beer available usually in mid-February. If you live in the bay area getting Elder isn't hard, just drive up to Santa Rosa and blow a weekend doing beer/wine tasting, acting like an rear end in a top hat optional.

I mean, years back I sent out some bottles of Elder and Blind Pig to other goons in Beer Exchange but should I do that again and boost the trade value?
Yeah I always mix them up, it was the Younger we waited in line for of course. The Elder is on tap often in my area so I forget that it's not common elsewhere.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
They really need to kill Richard off this season. He is the worst character in the show. They could come up with a funny death scene where he gets electrocuted or drowns in the pool. Or maybe Erlich accidentally dismembers him. Gavin sends his regards.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

CelestialScribe posted:

I actually love the show and think its the funniest thing currently on TV, but Richard is an annoying character and I find it hard to root for him. Its not an unreasonable stance.

But, like I said, it doesn't really detract from my overall enjoyment of the show.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Every single character on this show is amazing.

Hope that helps.

Esp. Richard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5w3gLkfqfc

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Richard isn't that funny but I also agree with whoever said that Bachmann is getting a little old, I miss Peter Gregory he was really funny, I still sometimes will think of "Billions of breadings!" and "these burgers of which they are I presume...King?" and laugh to myself

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Thomas Middleditch has still never managed to be funnier, in this entire show so far, than he was in that one Sunday Funday episode of You're The Worst.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Wait are y'all saying straight men in comedy are never the funniest characters? Breaking real ground here in the tv mines.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

ApathyGifted posted:

Richard is unable to speak coherent sentences when he's stressed until he reaches a breaking point, then he's on point. See: negotiating Jack out of firing them and getting to work on the platform last episode.

He's always been fairly consistent in that regard.
RIGBY that's even more stupid. He can't speak when he's stressed but then when stressed more he can speak again. Because reasons. Maybe there's Popeye Spinach in the fresh pressed juice Erlich gives him to drink.

Anyway, I thought it was great when the sales team that had lacrosse in their website bios were playing office lacrosse. And that Jared doesn't know his own birthday so it might as well be today :cry:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So when Gilfoyle destroyed that hard drive does that mean that all of Dinesh's work is gone? or did he make a backup first?

Silicon Valley Season 3: "Monica, do you really need to be here?"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

red19fire posted:

So when Gilfoyle destroyed that hard drive does that mean that all of Dinesh's work is gone? or did he make a backup first?

What do you think?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Enderzero posted:

It's not hard guys. The creators have said that as soon as Pied Piper wins the show will be boring because there's no conflict. They have to be perpetual underdogs or the magic is gone. This is how it has to be when you don't know how long the show will air - if they win too soon you'll have multiple seasons where they have nothing significant to do. The real problem is some sort you identify so strongly with the team that you want them to succeed so seeing these constant halting steps is going to drive you nuts. Just enjoy the comedy, the plot is absolutely secondary.

Oh come on the show's producers are saving the PP success story for the big budget movie that will come after the tv series run has ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Binary Logic posted:

RIGBY that's even more stupid. He can't speak when he's stressed but then when stressed more he can speak again. Because reasons. Maybe there's Popeye Spinach in the fresh pressed juice Erlich gives him to drink.

The breaking point I was talking about was not a stress thing, it was a "had enough of this poo poo" thing. Richard is non-confrontational as all hell so he stutters and misspeaks constantly from second guessing if he's being too forceful or making things worse when he's in a conflict. Then someone steps on him enough that he's pushed past the "gently caress this clown" point and lets loose. Half the young engineers I know, including the early-20's me, are like this. He's not actually nervous during the non-confrontational phase, if you pay close attention you can see he's actually constantly pulling himself back from just going on a rant. The only times he's really been nervous were basically during season 1, up until the climactic presentation.

ApathyGifted fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 25, 2016

• Locked thread