Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Tell her Billy Corgan and Karl Pilkington are not the same person and she'll believe it. (Of course they are the same person but :thejoke: so you can :troll: her good :mmmhmm:)

The difference is Karl Pilkington only pretends to be a burbling moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

There are a few other cases like that. The title theme for Animal Crossing on the Gamecube has a section that is usually cut off but you can hear it in its entirety if you open the cd lid before the demo starts.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
The druid from the Asterix books is called getafix.

Get a fix.

Because he makes the DRUGS.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
His original name in French was Panoramix. As in panorama, all seeing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fagtastic posted:

Get a fix.

Pretty much all the names are like that.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012

Fagtastic posted:

Get a fix.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asterix_characters

There's a whole wiki page dedicated to Asterix's characters and their names in foreign languages.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
Skyrim. Like, the rim of the sky. Like the edge of the world. Like the polar regions where it's really fuckin' cold.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I just found out a couple days ago that Drake was in Degrassi.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

OctoberBlues posted:

I just found out a couple days ago that Drake was in Degrassi.

Hooooboy, you should watch that show.

I grew up with it and hated that whiney little moron. So when DRAKE came on the scene, I laughed my balls off.

For those of you that don't know, his real name is Aubrey Graham.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The word disaster literally means "bad star", as in an event that is ill-starred or ill-fated. Neat.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I've recently figured out how the "have your cake and eat it too" phrase even works. It's not having a cake and then eating it, which is perfectly reasonable, it's trying to eat a cake but still have one at the same time :downs:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Xun posted:

I've recently figured out how the "have your cake and eat it too" phrase even works. It's not having a cake and then eating it, which is perfectly reasonable, it's trying to eat a cake but still have one at the same time :downs:

i always understood the saying and used to get very confused when people would say it didn't make sense.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fagtastic posted:

Get a fix.

:aaa:

Xun posted:

:aaaaa:

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Elfgames posted:

i always understood the saying and used to get very confused when people would say it didn't make sense.

As a kid I didn't understand it because I thought "have" can mean the same thing as "eat" and I thought there was some subtle distinction I was missing. I think "You can't possess a whole uneaten cake and also eat that same cake" would be a little more clear but a lot less snappy.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I listened to Weird Al a lot as a kid. His song "Fat" is basically just a bunch of fat jokes, most of which I understood. Then this line rolls around:

When I go to get my shoe shine, I've got to take their word

For whatever reason my brain assumed it was some stereotype of shoe shiners I had never heard before. Like, people who shined shoes were notoriously blunt about criticizing people's looks or weight. It took me many, many years before I realized he meant he was so fat he couldn't see his shoes. I'm not even sure how I missed that.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Xun posted:

I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who was confused about this phrase.

YYZ
Apr 26, 2011

I found out that I've always pronounced "fifth" incorrectly when one of my pupils corrected me today. I've always said it with a hard T :eng99:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Like fith instead of fifth?

YYZ
Apr 26, 2011

Like, rhyming with gift.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
^^^ what would lead you to think "fifth" wouldn't sound like fourth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, etc.? ;)

On a related note, I haven't been able to figure out if people pronouncing words like "northern" or "southern" as if they were spelled "-thren" is just a random thing or an actual regional dialect thing. Anyone know?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Orange Mage posted:

On a related note, I haven't been able to figure out if people pronouncing words like "northern" or "southern" as if they were spelled "-thren" is just a random thing or an actual regional dialect thing. Anyone know?
It reminds me of my grandmother, who would say "breakfrist" (among many other quirky pronunciations). She was Michigan born and raised, but at one point I traced some of her weird speech to Pennsylvania, where my grandfather and his family were from.

My son also used to say "lantren" instead of "lantern" when he was little, so :shrug: Maybe it's a random thing after all.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

YYZ posted:

I found out that I've always pronounced "fifth" incorrectly when one of my pupils corrected me today. I've always said it with a hard T :eng99:

Don't feel bad, English is almost the only language where that sound even exists, so non-English speakers nearly always struggle with it. Most Dutch speakers will invariably pronounce it as a hard 't'. I remember someone laughing at me for pronouncing the word 'thumb' approximately correctly.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tusen Takk posted:

Like fith instead of fifth?

He just screams "FIT!" and rips off his shirt.

YYZ
Apr 26, 2011

^^ yeah let's go with this

Phlegmish posted:

Don't feel bad, English is almost the only language where that sound even exists, so non-English speakers nearly always struggle with it. Most Dutch speakers will invariably pronounce it as a hard 't'. I remember someone laughing at me for pronouncing the word 'thumb' approximately correctly.

I'm English. I teach maths, so I use this word regularly. I do not have an excuse.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The Orange Mage posted:

^^^ what would lead you to think "fifth" wouldn't sound like fourth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, etc.? ;)

I know that there's an archaic word that the Scots had, Southron ("a person from the south) which they used for the English.

Not common in modern usage, but Wikipedia also tells me it was used to refer to a person from the Confederate States.

Sounds like there might be a connection, so there probably isn't. Still interesting though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Whenever a sentence starts with "English is special because", everything that follows is categorically untrue. But hey it made Bill Bryson some money.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Geniasis posted:

I know that there's an archaic word that the Scots had, Southron ("a person from the south) which they used for the English.

Not common in modern usage, but Wikipedia also tells me it was used to refer to a person from the Confederate States.

Sounds like there might be a connection, so there probably isn't. Still interesting though.

Actually, most of Appalachia is traditionally populated by people of Scottish descent, so that could be a potential thread.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Whenever a sentence starts with "English is special because", everything that follows is categorically untrue. But hey it made Bill Bryson some money.

He is right that the unvoiced dental fricative is very rarely found in other languages. Like, only 6 or 7 languages have it at all.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

YYZ posted:

I found out that I've always pronounced "fifth" incorrectly when one of my pupils corrected me today. :eng99:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

YYZ posted:

I'm English. I teach maths, so I use this word regularly. I do not have an excuse.

It's a sound that humans were not meant to produce unless they've suffered from a massive stroke, so I'm not surprised even native speakers struggle.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

CerealCrunch posted:

He is right that the unvoiced dental fricative is very rarely found in other languages. Like, only 6 or 7 languages have it at all.

Several dozen, you mean.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The band Black Rebel Motorcycle Club does not have one singer. It has two. Some songs is sung by one dude, some songs are sung by the other dude, and sometimes they all sing on the same song. [As in a chorus is sung entirely by one or both, and not just back up 'oooh ooh ahh ahh' type singing]

How did I not realize this until now. The two men don't even sound the same.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who was confused about this phrase.

Quantum cakes ITT.

It would make a hell of a lot more sense if it were the other way around. You can have a cake and then eat it. You cannot eat a cake and still have it after.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Geniasis posted:

I've also heard "modren" instead of "modern":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cShYbLkhBc

The Orange Mage posted:

I've heard "sixth" pronounced "sikth", too.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is it fifð or fifþ?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

e: Nevermind

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is it fifð or fifþ?

The latter. With an ð it would be a voiced fricative.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hirayuki posted:

It reminds me of my grandmother, who would say "breakfrist" (among many other quirky pronunciations).

A lot of small children say that, so it could be a mistake that she just never bothered to unlearn, like how some people go their entire lives saying "fink" instead of "think" or "somethink" instead of "something".

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

AlphaKretin posted:

This is relevant as all hell to the thread title, and I imagine the answer is "no", but do "fall" and "fail" come from the same root? Because I saw a sign in a park that warned of possible "tree failure" after rain and wind.

This is from way back in the thread, but "tree failure" is an actual thing. It means the tree has defects or structural damage and may be in danger of falling over.

I learned this cause a storm hosed up all the trees in my yard a few years ago. It was very inconvenient.

Wedemeyer posted:

The band Black Rebel Motorcycle Club does not have one singer. It has two. Some songs is sung by one dude, some songs are sung by the other dude, and sometimes they all sing on the same song. [As in a chorus is sung entirely by one or both, and not just back up 'oooh ooh ahh ahh' type singing]

How did I not realize this until now. The two men don't even sound the same.

The same thing happened to me, but with Depeche Mode. I have been a fan of theirs since middle school and somehow never noticed that Martin Gore sings too. I was always like "huh, Dave Gahan sounds really different sometimes" :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah but who even speaks Spanish or Arabic?