Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

remember when wiz tweeted he was beaten by the ai

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I've seen Stellaris players beaten by the AI. It was mostly them meeting a Fallen Empire early and being made to give up most of their empire, then ragequitting, though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Maybe they took it out to save for a dlc.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Pharnakes posted:

In light of Stellaris' AI that wasn't quite so funny after all :(

Even less so since that dunk was followed by the release of Hearts of Iron 3.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
on the one hand EU4 and CK2 are absolute masterpieces (which are arguably now bloated beyond repair) but on the other goons are really bent on ignoring the fact that rome, sengoku, march of the eagles and even hearts of iron 3 were broken and at the very best were patched and DLCed to be barely playable.

i have tremendous faith in stellaris and HoI4 being good in the future but the track record for attention to detail goes hand in hand with dropping a game off the development plan if things get too complicated.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Hey now, Rome was barely playable and patched to be totally broken :v:

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
Yeah honestly EU4 and CK2 were at their height of playability last year, before they got bloated to poo poo. I played a round of EU4 recently and theres so much garbage like estates, sailor-manpower, etc that just add fluff to the game without any real value.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I remember when the paradox ads were making GBS threads on Shogun 2 which ended up being a much better game than Sengoku. Of course, Shogun 2 is pretty much the last time CA actually cared about craft in their games because they did so much more with the limited pallette of Sengoku Japan than they did with the entirety of the ancient Western World.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i remember when their finest hour came out and it didn't fix anything at all but did add a bunch of ctds that they also never fixed

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I will never get the bloat thing. I mean I know it's subjective but even then it just feels arbitrary.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's when the mechanics get added without really being integrated with anything else. Estates especially are kinda their own little corner of the game.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Koramei posted:

It's when the mechanics get added without really being integrated with anything else. Estates especially are kinda their own little corner of the game.

Estates were one of those things where people constantly needled about wanting internal management in EU4 and when they got it- surprise, it's not what EU4's about and it's kinda just there.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Panzeh posted:

I remember when the paradox ads were making GBS threads on Shogun 2 which ended up being a much better game than Sengoku. Of course, Shogun 2 is pretty much the last time CA actually cared about craft in their games because they did so much more with the limited pallette of Sengoku Japan than they did with the entirety of the ancient Western World.

Yet when Shogun 2 came out, for a while, it was regarded as "bad" but relatively quickly, I'll admit, became respected.

HoI3 was poorly optimized and had its issues, but it was still an excellent game for the people who wanted that kind of sperging out over OOB's and .. whatever else HoI3 had, it sold well and was still a success, though not for me. March of the Eagles is a good war-romp, Sengoku was a CK2 testbed and was a semi-decent straight up warfest through Japan.

I mean Paradox games have their "bad" around release - Rome is the only real exception in getting "worse" though that's more to do with stability, while any other games regarded as "bad" are truthfully more mediocre at worst. The worst thing they've ever had their name near is SotS2 but I consider Stellaris more than enough recompense for publishing that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

hoi3 is not good in any measure of the term.

what's wrong with eu rome? people say it got patched to unplayable so what does that mean? genuine question

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hoi3 is great

Oh no subjectivity what are we to do

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Koramei posted:

Mechanics stand independent all the time. Who cares.

Estates are still a great addition.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 24, 2016

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Gort posted:

I've seen Stellaris players beaten by the AI. It was mostly them meeting a Fallen Empire early and being made to give up most of their empire, then ragequitting, though.

This is me irl.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Panzeh posted:

Estates were one of those things where people constantly needled about wanting internal management in EU4 and when they got it- surprise, it's not what EU4's about and it's kinda just there.

I feel like a lot of the reason people don't like estates is that there's no sense of progress or victory there. People like painting the map because you can see your empire grow as you play. People loving love formable nations because it's a target you can aim for that feels like a major accomplishment when it happens. Estates are something you fiddle with occasionally to make the relevant numbers go up or down, but there's no way to gradually eliminate their influence on the land or co-opt them into the state, which would provide a goal for the player to work towards. I think they'd be a lot better received if there were a clear goal to aim for as a result of the fiddling instead of minor bonuses or penalties that are the same throughout the game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Easy little thing estates need: to show province development on the map in the estate quick build menu.

e: My issue with estates is that as a constraint they basically don't do anything but occasionally annoy you for land and as a bonus they, well, still annoy you for land when you don't want to give it out. There's not a ton of strategy to dealing with them in the way there is in dealing with an unruly vassal in CK2. I think what I want from internal politics in EU4 are systems that influence the wars you fight, rather than being a separate system you mess around with in peacetime.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 24, 2016

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

StashAugustine posted:

e: My issue with estates is that as a constraint they basically don't do anything but occasionally annoy you for land and as a bonus they, well, still annoy you for land when you don't want to give it out. There's not a ton of strategy to dealing with them in the way there is in dealing with an unruly vassal in CK2. I think what I want from internal politics in EU4 are systems that influence the wars you fight, rather than being a separate system you mess around with in peacetime.

I definitely agree that the system feels like an endless minigame treadmill sometimes. Estates are probably the best shorthand way of handling internal politics, though (at least as a conceptual basis) without a Stellaris-style pop system or something crazier with pie charts etc..

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Jeoh posted:

remember when wiz tweeted he was beaten by the ai

lol

lmao

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Alikchi posted:

I definitely agree that the system feels like an endless minigame treadmill sometimes. Estates are probably the best shorthand way of handling internal politics, though (at least as a conceptual basis) without a Stellaris-style pop system or something crazier with pie charts etc..

POP PYRAMIDS!!!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

put the vicky 2 politics system into eu4

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
the one thing that eu4 is missing: anarcho-liberals.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The BBJ

The Big Blue Jacobins.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Aztec communists have risen

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Mercantilists builds a watermill.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

DrSunshine posted:

Mercantilists builds a watremill.

Fixed.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Mercantilists builds a watermill.

Hahaha

I think what I like so much about the Victoria series that it has such a tight focus. The themes, mechanics, aesthetics and atmosphere all fit together nicely, even if individually they sometimes leave something to be desired. The downside, of course, is that you have less replayability value and flexibility, but overall I like that approach.

My issue with EUIV and CK2 is that they've been moving in the opposite direction, losing focus with various new systems constantly being superimposed on each other. Each Paradox franchise has its own feel, its own emphasis. Systems and mechanics should only be implemented or ported from one franchise to another if they can be integrated in a way that contributes to that.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

corn in the bible posted:

i remember when their finest hour came out and it didn't fix anything at all but did add a bunch of ctds that they also never fixed

??? This is the weirdest opinion I have seen on one of our games yet.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Paradox threads have been weird lately.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

??? This is the weirdest opinion I have seen on one of our games yet.

A complaint about instability doesn't seem weird to me? That's something to legitimately complain about

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I mean I don't remember TFH having any outstanding CTD issues, and it fixed a bunch of things. Among HoI3 fans TFH was rather popular.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/281990#announcements/detail/923614860700111042

Stellaris 1.1 info

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

"busy working on the first free patch"

Can't wait for the first paid patch.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

I mean I don't remember TFH having any outstanding CTD issues, and it fixed a bunch of things. Among HoI3 fans TFH was rather popular.

You've already self-selected for poor decision making there

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Phlegmish posted:

My issue with EUIV and CK2 is that they've been moving in the opposite direction, losing focus with various new systems constantly being superimposed on each other. Each Paradox franchise has its own feel, its own emphasis. Systems and mechanics should only be implemented or ported from one franchise to another if they can be integrated in a way that contributes to that.

Exactly. I cant talk about EU4, I havent played it for a while, but the addition of EU4-style mechanics to CK2, coalitions and shattered retreat, was a very bad idea

EDIT: is like, people used to complain about the game getting boring and easy after you become a big enough blob. Conclave tries to address it the right way, by making internal management more interesting and challenging. It aint perfect, but its a step on the right direction, because that's what CK2 is about. Coalitions, instead, is the wrong kind of solution. Is just take a mechanic from a complete different game and just throws it there in a simplified version. It makes little sense in the context of CK2, its badly integrated in the game and is just unfun. It doenst even makes expansion actually much harder, just more annoying. It is like: "so do you want to expand, player? Well gently caress you, you are going to have to fight half of the world for this county. just because". Coupled with shattered retreat, which also doenst makes war harder or more interesting, just longer, it just made the game less fun

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 24, 2016

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

hoi3 is not good in any measure of the term.

what's wrong with eu rome? people say it got patched to unplayable so what does that mean? genuine question

Once you get to a certain point in the game (for me, whenever you have a dictatorship and events trigger with family members) you get constant CTD that can't be avoided and game becomes literally unplayable.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Palleon posted:

Once you get to a certain point in the game (for me, whenever you have a dictatorship and events trigger with family members) you get constant CTD that can't be avoided and game becomes literally unplayable.

I had it constantly happening in October of 1941, regardless of what I was doing / what speed I played the game on / etc. It was really annoying because my Italy playthrough had just gotten really good at that time too.

I think it might be because of the Pearl Harbor decision when the United States has gone fascist (which I made happen thanks to spies) :toot:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Neobdragon posted:

Yeah honestly EU4 and CK2 were at their height of playability last year, before they got bloated to poo poo. I played a round of EU4 recently and theres so much garbage like estates, sailor-manpower, etc that just add fluff to the game without any real value.

I see this sentiment in lots of places these days -- what do people consider to be the 'best' version of EU4, then? Since you can roll back to previous patches in Steam, I'd like to compare how it's changed over the past year or two.