Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGvYIZppmQc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Voyager just had really poo poo writers. Mulgrew is a solid actress (her work in Orange is the New Black is outstanding) most of the bridge crew was serviceable and the doc was great. They just had zero idea how to write the characters and kept shoveling poo poo on to the cast to work with.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So when Voyager made it back the first time with time traveling Janeway, did the Doctor get to see a hundred versions of himself cleaning the plasma conduits?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JiveHonky posted:

wth, is this from the show? lol u guys are weird

Borg Mass Reactive Implants. :heysexy:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Binary Badger posted:

So when Voyager made it back the first time with time traveling Janeway, did the Doctor get to see a hundred versions of himself cleaning the plasma conduits?

No, he's "one of the good ones".

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
i'd forgotten how hot seven of tits was :awesome:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Computer, delete quips.bat.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Berious posted:

i'd forgotten how hot seven of tits was :awesome:

never forget :911:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Professor Shark posted:

Man a BSG-style remake of Voyager would be awesome. Imagine worrying about how hosed you are on the other side of the galaxy and then you realize you realize the only way home it through Borg space

This was sort of what was supposed to happen until they were told, "no story arcs". So no matter what episode you picked up at, you didn't need to know anything other than the general premise of the show.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

RVWinkle posted:

It's one thing to have a laugh about space elves and such but I think you could show some appreciation to the fans that made you a millionaire. He never has to work another day in his life and he just says 'gently caress you' to the people who made it possible which seems arrogant and ungrateful. Before Star Trek, Beltran's biggest claim to fame was some direct to video Chuck Norris movie.

I see what you mean, but for me it doesn't matter what he thinks about the show, as long as I can get some enjoyment out of it when I am watching it.

In most interview situations, actors will try to sell you whichever product it is they just made. Be it on a DVD-extra, in a late-night show, or whatever; they will always say the things they are contractually obliged to say: How much fun it was, how great everybody else was, how much real artistic vision went into the production, etc... It's just tedious and pointless, and I find Beltran's attitude in the interview refreshing because he knowingly does all the things he is not supposed to. (Apart from that, I don't remember him ever being memorable during the entire show anyway, so maybe that is why I have no problems with him taking the piss.)

Anyway, back to "Dark Frontier part 2", because I don't even remember if Beltran was even in that episode.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ibogaine posted:

Anyway, back to "Dark Frontier part 2", because I don't even remember if Beltran was even in that episode.

By season 4, his job was basically delivering one line per episode.

"Captain, this situation looks dangerous, maybe we should. . . " <cut>

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
A-koo-chee-moya, we are far from the bones of my people...

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
He did have that one cool story about the grasshopper and the octopus.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Blistex posted:

By season 4, his job was basically delivering one line per episode.

"Captain, this situation looks dangerous, maybe we should. . . " <cut>

Yeah, he just had his five seconds in the sun in this episode, saying that Seven of Nine's parents had made the mistake of getting overconfident. Incidentally, this information added nothing to the story, because by the time he said that there had already been about a dozen flash backs that showed how ridiculously careless Seven's parents were around the Borg.

edit: It's still preferable to stuff like

Roylicious posted:

A-koo-chee-moya, we are far from the bones of my people...

I guess.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Remember the episode where Beltran went on a vision quest and found out that all of the indigenous people of North America were ignorant savages before a white saviour alien taught them culture? And it was written by one of the better writers, Michael pillar.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Whole lotta lovely opinions in this thread.

Voyager is the Nyquil of Star Trek. It'll either put you to sleep or gently caress you up, or first one and then the other.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Remember the episode where Beltran went on a vision quest and found out that all of the indigenous people of North America were ignorant savages before a white saviour alien taught them culture? And it was written by one of the better writers, Michael pillar.

Yep. I am reminded by the SF debris review of the episode. "I remember this one episode of DS9 where wile in the Gamma Quadrent Captain Sisko started to have these strange visions that were causing this pull on his big black penis, and he would encounter these aliens well having memories of his dad telling him about the importance of the great black penis. The ALiens would tell him that they had come to Africa millenia ago and found backwards locals who had no culture whatsoeer, but they were impressed with their sexual prowess, and because of that they would give them, the great black penis! Later they returned and found that the People had taken the gift and also now were brilliant at ance and great at basketball. Offended yet?"

Also there is this quote from Malcolm in the Middle.

Malcolm in the Middle posted:

Inuit Man:
You white boys are all the same. [sarcastic] I've got dark skin, so I must dance with the bears and listen to the spirits of the wind! [angry] I've got news for you, pal: I work for a living! I'm a Baptist and I'm proud of it! Oh, and I have only one word for snow...SNOW!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shadow puppet of a posted:

She lost a beauty contest to Harry Kim IRL and was sent off in a shuttle craft to the ugly nebula.

he's not kidding. the Voyager producers basically didn't want to pay for another useless character nobody wanted to write for, so they were getting ready to fire Garrett Wang to make room for Seven of Nine when suddenly some bullshit magazine list comes out and ranks him one of the Top 50 Sexiest Men Of The Year or something inane like that. so they instead decided to fire Jennifer Lien instead, because obviously there must be people watching just because he's so hunky.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

he's not kidding. the Voyager producers basically didn't want to pay for another useless character nobody wanted to write for, so they were getting ready to fire Garrett Wang to make room for Seven of Nine when suddenly some bullshit magazine list comes out and ranks him one of the Top 50 Sexiest Men Of The Year or something inane like that. so they instead decided to fire Jennifer Lien instead, because obviously there must be people watching just because he's so hunky.

Holy poo poo lol is that why she was tossed aside?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think it was from People which is a pretty popular magazine and Harry Kim was one of the few non stereotypical Asians on TV so he brought in a whole bunch of Jap viewers

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

lol he was the flavor vanilla in Asian form

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
The time he got an STD from some alien chick should have been a tentacle rape scene

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Was Kim one of the only two survivors of the alt reality Voyager that was destroyed, aside from the baby? That should have been A Thing, instead of written off

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Yeah, him and Naomi Wildman. It wasn't from an alternate universe, though, it was just a quantum duplicate.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

criscodisco posted:

The time he got an STD from some alien chick should have been a tentacle rape scene

I don't think the actress he was paired with would have the range for that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XamozZj0PhE&t=65s

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
What the gently caress is that a power rangers movie?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Man that is pretty bad

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

criscodisco posted:

That is mortal kombat annihilation and everyone should see it once.

But only once.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

criscodisco posted:

No it was the beloved mortal kombat movie

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Professor Shark posted:

lol he was the flavor vanilla in Asian form

I love how the original series is the only one that got their token Asian character right.

George Takei: Japanese, portraying Japanese Crewmember
Rosalind Chao: Chinese, portraying a Japanese Crewmember
Garrett Wang: Chinese, portraying a Korean Crewmember
Linda Park: Korean, portraying a Japanese Crewmember
John Cho: Korean, portraying a Japanese Crewmember

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I listened to an interview with George Takei this afternoon, I didn't know he was held at one of the POW camps during WWII

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Professor Shark posted:

I listened to an interview with George Takei this afternoon, I didn't know he was held at one of the POW camps during WWII

He talks about it in his autobiography and it's loving heartbreaking

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Professor Shark posted:

Internment camps. They took actual US citizens and placed them into prison camps (infants up to senior citizens, regardless if they were 1st, 2nd, or 5th generation Americans). Naturally they seized all of their possessions and didn't compensate them either.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Blistex posted:

Internment camps. They took actual US citizens and placed them into prison camps (infants up to senior citizens, regardless if they were 1st, 2nd, or 5th generation Americans). Naturally they seized all of their possessions and didn't compensate them either.

Yeah, we did the same thing in Canada... just in case

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Yeah but the white people were OK, right?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

criscodisco posted:

Canada interned some Germans and Austrians during The Great War and WWII.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

criscodisco posted:

Well they actually did more dying than anyone so...

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax

Blistex posted:

Canada interned some Germans and Austrians during The Great War and WWII.

As did USA

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Anyway, George Takei is awesome, but he is waaaay too hung up on William Shatner.

George also did an episode of Voyager when Tuvok was fighting a repressed memory alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Jap viewers

Uh dude, Jap is not the preferred nomenclature.