Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

euphronius posted:

The sixers consider Okafor a 4 so.. Idk.

I thought the tank was over :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Haha .

Look I said trade the fucker and roll with Simmons.

Jesus Christ.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd be curious to see what teams would even really be able to offer Philly for him. He's still on his rookie deal, so making salaries match would be difficult. OTOH, Philly has to be way below the cap, right?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd be curious to see what teams would even really be able to offer Philly for him. He's still on his rookie deal, so making salaries match would be difficult. OTOH, Philly has to be way below the cap, right?

Don't they have room for two max contracts?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

Don't they have room for two max contracts?

61 million . So yes considering they can cut some dudes .

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You're never going to get equal value trading a productive player on a rookie deal.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

In an interview with Zack Lowe (Maybe Bill simmons?) Brett Brown stated that playing Okafor at the 4 was both an experiment, and a symptom of their lovely roster and that in no way do he or the sixers consider him a viable option at the 4 in the future.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

In an interview with Zack Lowe (Maybe Bill simmons?) Brett Brown stated that playing Okafor at the 4 was both an experiment, and a symptom of their lovely roster and that in no way do he or the sixers consider him a viable option at the 4 in the future.

Aldridge reported just yesterday they consider him a 4 . Thats what i was going on.

I know about that BB interview.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Mamadou N'Diaye the African equivalent of John Smith in the US? This is like the third Mamadou N'Diaye isn't it?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ButtWolf posted:

Is Mamadou N'Diaye the African equivalent of John Smith in the US? This is like the third Mamadou N'Diaye isn't it?

I know one in real life so every time the basketball one is in the news for something people tell him about it because they think they're the first to find out. I know Mamadou is equivalent to Mohammad but I don't know how common N'Diaye is.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

I'm pretty sure that the only big they would consider a 4 (and even then things will get fuzzy on the defensive end) is Embiid.

e: \/ if they think Okafor is a 4 they should ship him (to Phoenix for #4 and whatever else on either side to make that work) and roll Simmons at PG with Noel/Embiid down low.

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 25, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

aBagorn posted:

I'm pretty sure that the only big they would consider a 4 (and even then things will get fuzzy on the defensive end) is Embiid.

That's probably what we all think but no they think Simmons Saric and Okafor are all 4s. This is based on recent articles and interviews.

:iiam:

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Going into the lottery I just wanted Philly to get in the top 2 because I like Ingram and Simmons but at this point I'm going to be pretty pissed if they pass on Simmons because Ingram is a "better fit".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You only have to match if the deal leaves you over the cap AND you take more money than you sent. A whole bunch of teams will be under with the cap going up so lots of trade scenarios in play.

Durant sign-and-trade for Okafor will work fine, if that's what your asking.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

euphronius posted:

Aldridge reported just yesterday they consider him a 4 . Thats what i was going on.

I know about that BB interview.
Well that's completely insane then. I think he's a more obvious C than both Noel and Embiid and I wouldn't put either of those guys at forward either if there was any alternative.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Well that's completely insane then. I think he's a more obvious C than both Noel and Embiid and I wouldn't put either of those guys at forward either if there was any alternative.

Help I'm held hostage by Colangelos

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

All of this weird ambiguity about the Sixers bigs is pretty much why they should absolutely try to drive Okafor's value up as much as possible and get a decent trade. Is Phoenix attached to their point guards Knight and Bledsoe? I'm not a huge fan of either, but I sorta remember a rumor about them trying to get rid of one, and I'm assuming Booker is basically untouchable right now. I wouldn't mind a trade of #4 and either of the two pgs for Okafor. That could easily lead to a team similar to Orlando last season with higher upside but also raw as hell.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

ButtWolf posted:

Yes. N'Diaye is an incredibly common last name in Senegal, especially on the coast, in Dakar and to the North and Saint Louis. And it's an Muslim country, so Muhammad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%27Diaye Here's a long list of N'Diaye's from a tiny country

iamsosmrt posted:

All of this weird ambiguity about the Sixers bigs is pretty much why they should absolutely try to drive Okafor's value up as much as possible and get a decent trade. Is Phoenix attached to their point guards Knight and Bledsoe? I'm not a huge fan of either, but I sorta remember a rumor about them trying to get rid of one, and I'm assuming Booker is basically untouchable right now. I wouldn't mind a trade of #4 and either of the two pgs for Okafor. That could easily lead to a team similar to Orlando last season with higher upside but also raw as hell.
Okafor isn't worth half a Bledsoe at this point. They really need to sign some guards and shooters to showcase him. Right now he's a scorer who doesn't score efficiently, doesn't rebound, and is hopeless on defense. His value is as low as it could be.

The 4 plus Knight is like 8x Okafor's current value. Right now he has to prove that he's a good NBA player and not a future 22 minutes of scoring on a bad team player.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 25, 2016

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

This is what I would do as well. Get Knight and #4, take Simmons/Murray at 1/4 and roll out.

Knight and Simmons can split ball handling duties, Murray is a shooter, and you still have the defensive anchor bigs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have seen no rumors PHO is interested in Okafor.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

I still think the Okafor/24/26 for Boston's 3/16/23/31 is preferrable to anything Phoenix would offer as Bender probably is the only asset in this draft that people would trade up for other than Simmons/Ingram.

edit:

euphronius posted:

Yeah I think they want to spend another year on Len, who can be a really good center when he's healthy.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Guys, you're treating Okafor like he's an promising young prospect instead of a question mark and possible bust

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dejan Bimble posted:

Guys, you're treating Okafor like he's an promising young prospect instead of a question mark and possible bust

I don't disagree with you but Ainge has called about him and offered the Nets pick already. I mean allegedly but probably.

Phoenix is a no go probably. But as you get down the picks the value there is at least equal to him even as a question mark.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

I see a lot of "Philly should trade Okafor" things but I have yet to actually see anything that indicates anyone is actually interested in him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's funny because 2015 Okafor would have almost definitely gone first in this draft

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

I see a lot of "Philly should trade Okafor" things but I have yet to actually see anything that indicates anyone is actually interested in him

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2016/02/21/celtics-mystery-trade-deadline-target-was-reportedly-the-76ers-jahlil-okafor

Of course Bender is probably better so...

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I believe in Jahlil Okafor.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
euphronius: there could be motivation for smoke if they think the Lakers will make a trade. Because the Lakers seemed pretty locked in on Ingram after the combine interviews. But then again the Lakers have almost nothing to trade.

Regardless, at this point it looks like Simmons plans to work out with both teams.

Ty1990 posted:

Going into the lottery I just wanted Philly to get in the top 2 because I like Ingram and Simmons but at this point I'm going to be pretty pissed if they pass on Simmons because Ingram is a "better fit".

I have similar feelings. I thought I could be very happy with either Ingram or Simmons but now that we're at the precipice I feel like i"m all in on Simmons.

iamsosmrt posted:

I do think the Suns would like to move Knight because he was really unhappy by the end and has basically said he wants out if he's expected to come off the bench next year. Phoenix went from spending a year and a half trying to trade Bledsoe and then hoping someone else would sign an offer sheet on him to going all in on him. I don't know why they changed attitude. But I don't think they're planning on trading him at the moment.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Sixers were at a Simmons work out today.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

euphronius posted:

I don't disagree with you but Ainge has called about him and offered the Nets pick already. I mean allegedly but probably.

Is this like when Philly totally had a deal on the table for Cousins back during the 2013 draft but decided to pass?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Rick posted:

Phoenix went from spending a year and a half trying to trade Bledsoe

What? I never heard anything like that

edit: nvm I found what you're talking about

Space Camp fuckup fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 25, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Is this like when Philly totally had a deal on the table for Cousins back during the 2013 draft but decided to pass?

I posted the article.

I mean we can be skeptical of everything but then what do we talk about.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

Okafor isn't worth half a Bledsoe at this point. They really need to sign some guards and shooters to showcase him. Right now he's a scorer who doesn't score efficiently, doesn't rebound, and is hopeless on defense. His value is as low as it could be.

Considering his injury history it's possible that Bledsoe himself is only worth half a Bledsoe :[ He needs to stay in Arizona where cars never rust and bodies never grow old if he wants any chance of playing a full season

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

Yes. N'Diaye is an incredibly common last name in Senegal, especially on the coast, in Dakar and to the North and Saint Louis. And it's an Muslim country, so Muhammad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%27Diaye Here's a long list of N'Diaye's from a tiny country

The 4 plus Knight is like 8x Okafor's current value. Right now he has to prove that he's a good NBA player and not a future 22 minutes of scoring on a bad team player.

I'm not sure this is a universally accepted value of Okafor right now. I'm not a big fan myself, but the more the Ainge rumors persist, the bigger his value will be perceived. Plus, there are enough people who still value classic big man skills over this advanced stats poo poo and can talk themselves into Okafor being a person you can build around.

Anyway, there's enough Boston media starting to say he's actually worth a Marcus Smart + #3 pick so who knows. Maybe we'll luck out and actually get some good value for the guy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think Okafor's value was higher at the trade deadline than it is now. Missing the last part of the season makes his warts look worse, and he was beginning to look better, but now the improvement is really only guesswork.

Boston also got #3 from the Net's pick, was a "win" so that pick has more value now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If the sixers had not been in turmoil at the trade deadline that might have happened.

Alas yeah there Celtics should just take Bender.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My hot take is that Bender should go one or two spots above Thom based on us knowing roughly the same info about them and neither blowing the door off against low level talent.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The Sixers should keep Okafor as a bench guy for the inevitable next generation of sixth man - the offensively skilled, defensively atrocious post guy who can absolutely wreck second units

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

xbilkis posted:

The Sixers should keep Okafor as a bench guy for the inevitable next generation of sixth man - the offensively skilled, defensively atrocious post guy who can absolutely wreck second units

He was awesome at this too last year.

They need him to buy into that tho which ... That's a big ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
http://theundefeated.com/features/jaylen-brown-the-2016-nba-drafts-renaissance-man/

quote:

“I’m here to be a professional,” Brown said. “I’m not here to wear slacks or be on the couch with basketball attire. When you come to a business interview, what do you wear? You wear formal attire.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F61CuWlSVJI
I think "Jaylen Brown" might be an alter ego of this famous impostor boy

• Locked thread