Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarden
May 20, 2012
The spacer mech goes fantastically well with the focusing laser. Anything in the line of fire evaporates in seconds and the deliciously cheesy sci-fi stomping had me wondering how well the experience would match up with the Jeff Wayne War of the Worlds musical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

anthony patch posted:

New build is up, it's got a bunch of new poo poo in it. I'll post a changelog later.

So, what does the new build have in it?

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

Skyscraper posted:

So, what does the new build have in it?
Heavy weapons :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmFWpT4k5A4&t=120s

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Oh hey, cluster artillery!

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Off the top of my head, unlock system for pilots and vehicles (pilots are basically just difficulty settings), a killdozer mission, new tools of destruction. The new chain gun weapon (Zeus?) is wildly OP and fun as hell, I recommend it.

Patch and Gauss are at PAX East this weekend (and I get to tag along!) So I wouldn't expect official word from them in the near future.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So can you no longer just play a regular game? Missions seem to be all I can select.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

dyzzy posted:

Off the top of my head, unlock system for pilots and vehicles (pilots are basically just difficulty settings), a killdozer mission, new tools of destruction. The new chain gun weapon (Zeus?) is wildly OP and fun as hell, I recommend it.

Patch and Gauss are at PAX East this weekend (and I get to tag along!) So I wouldn't expect official word from them in the near future.

Interesting, thanks!

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Lemon-Lime posted:

So can you no longer just play a regular game? Missions seem to be all I can select.

There should be a menu item listed as "Freelance."

E: be sure to buy some stuff first.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dyzzy posted:

There should be a menu item listed as "Freelance."

E: be sure to buy some stuff first.

Yeah, I have some stuff unlocked already.

e; looks like I had to restart the game to see the Freelance option! Thanks.

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS
my one complaint about this update is the broodmare. it's already so slow as to be borderline unfun, but the fact it gets slowed even further by mud and train tracks pushes it over the edge into "this is actually a chore" territory. have ya'll considered making heavy mechs immune to slowing terrain just for the player's sake? write it off as the drive systems being so robust that they just power through without issue or whatever you have to, but jesus, the train stations and muddy maps are like pulling fuckin teeth

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Really loving the new update, though I've got a question/request: Any chance we could get a scalable UI by release? It's really tiny on my honkin big monitor.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Fayez Butts posted:

Really loving the new update, though I've got a question/request: Any chance we could get a scalable UI by release? It's really tiny on my honkin big monitor.

Great idea. I really wish this was an option implemented in more games.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Did anybody here make it to PAX? Bunch of people walked away from the minibooth with Brigador keys :)

john ashpool
Jun 29, 2010
Dev wore a mech pilot jumpsuit. Buying game just because of that.

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope

john ashpool posted:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

john ashpool posted:

That's all kinds of awesome.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

We demand pictures, Mister Patch!

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I'm a bad friend. All I got was a back shot:

He's had stuff on Twitter from PAX prime though, if nobody else does I can link it when I get to a PC.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

3/10, no Soviet Tanker padded-helmet

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
lol. He did actually have a helmet last year but you can imagine it's not fun to travel with

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
https://twitter.com/HughSJ/status/637416257285828609

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

See, that is how you do it.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Is the gamepad support from that alt-beta going to make it into the release?

I don't mind tank controls but I hate wasd and usually play everything from my couch anyway. Mapping wasd to an analog stick kinda sucks because it's to easy to drift a little bit and start turning when you want to go straight or moving when you are trying to turn in place.

I've made some decent control maps for the Steam controller, and most of them don't require you to ever move your thumbs from a stick to a button. The Steam controller touchpad emulates a trackball really well and it all comes together beautifully when using the beta with controller support.

For my own purposes, I don't even need a fully fleshed out XBOX controller mode. I just need the game to use the x-input left analog stick for analog movement and I can take care of the rest.

So I hope that in the release, the existing controller support can be accessed from a sub menu or something.

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope

Copper Vein posted:

Is the gamepad support from that alt-beta going to make it into the release?

I don't mind tank controls but I hate wasd and usually play everything from my couch anyway. Mapping wasd to an analog stick kinda sucks because it's to easy to drift a little bit and start turning when you want to go straight or moving when you are trying to turn in place.

I've made some decent control maps for the Steam controller, and most of them don't require you to ever move your thumbs from a stick to a button. The Steam controller touchpad emulates a trackball really well and it all comes together beautifully when using the beta with controller support.

For my own purposes, I don't even need a fully fleshed out XBOX controller mode. I just need the game to use the x-input left analog stick for analog movement and I can take care of the rest.

So I hope that in the release, the existing controller support can be accessed from a sub menu or something.

The short version is that we'd like to get it resolved but we're up to our gills getting everything ready for the June 2nd release, so it's going to be one of those things we attend to after release. Right now we're in the middle of a complete re-write of the UI (original one was a temp UI that just kept getting scaffolded onto) so there's no room for any other work.

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
Little sample of the new text we're working up for all the weapons:

quote:

The original spec for the Galinha called for a scaled down version of the Zeus, but early development showed the idea was impracticable. That process however led the Design Bureau to an idea for a radically different weapon.

Unwilling to risk the War Council turning down their proposal, the lead engineers falsified successful testing rounds for the Zeus variant while racing to develop their own concept in secret. When a surprise inspection revealed the deceit, the Council slated the entire Bureau staff for "rotation" and threatened the Bureau chief with a sedition charge, but all that was changed to a mild reprimand once the new weapon actually hit field testing.

The Galinha is named for the relentless cyclic rate of the gun, unparalleled for a Lorentz-type weapon. While still high maintenance, it doesn't suffer the fouling issues endemic to propellant based munitions and its conductive rails are small enough to be field swapped. Frankly the War Council was so fixated on the existing implementation of their darling Zeus that without the ruse I don't think the Galinha variant would ever have been greenlit. Of course that didn't stop the Council from taking full credit for the weapon's inception once it was deployed.

-Efi

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
Oh hey what's this?
http://www.pcgamer.com/brigador-is-releasing-in-june-with-an-unusual-extra/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRYc0HLWePo

anthony patch fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 13, 2016

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
Launching a preview stream of the Brigador audiobook right now, first 3 chapters.

https://www.twitch.tv/stellarjockeys

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Brigador is leaving early access next week. Also:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

dhamster posted:

Endorsement from a real, live, Hollywood celebrity! :eyepop:

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope

dhamster posted:

we are humbled by His Most Beneficent Presence. Once the eye of Sauron has gazed upon you, your life is complete. Zap Zap

But yeah, shipping next week. Lotta crazy stuff going on. Sometime in June after I've been able to sleep for a bit I'll follow up by writing some tutorials for you guys with the level editor so you can start making your own stuff.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

dhamster posted:

Congrats on leaving early access! Does this come with a big patch too?

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope

Tagichatn posted:

Congrats on leaving early access! Does this come with a big patch too?

The difference between what's currently on early access and what will launch on June 2nd is night and day. We completely redid the UI, have new sound effects for everything, and have added 2 new factions to fight against in addition to the entire story campaign.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

3 new factions besides Loyalist, Corvid, and Spacers? Do they get unique vehicles and stuff?

[edit] There is gonna be a soundtrack edition, RIGHT? :toughguy:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There's a SE option that includes the OST and an audiobook for $30.

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope

Galaga Galaxian posted:

3 new factions besides Loyalist, Corvid, and Spacers? Do they get unique vehicles and stuff?

So as a special thank we gifted the OST / Audiobook upgrade to anyone who bought the game prior to last week. For everyone else there'll be a DLC option to buy once you have the core game or you can just buy the whole thing together, should be called the 'Deluxe Edition' on Steam (that's the standard nomenclature apparently). Currently because of a snafu with Valve that's the *only* edition you can buy on Steam right now, but that should be sorted out within the next couple of days.

Personally I think the soundtrack, book, and audiobook have all turned out great, but don't take my word for it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Awesome. Already own the game, but I might gift it to a pal of mine that I bet would enjoy it and is a fellow fan of the style of music used in the soundtrack.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
Oh man I'm excited for the release. Congratulations, guys! You made something truly great.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

anthony patch posted:

So as a special thank we gifted the OST / Audiobook upgrade to anyone who bought the game prior to last week.

Is that not going into effect until the DLC is actually out for purchase? I would've totally bought the soundtrack but that's a super nice extra, thanks. :)

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

anthony patch posted:

The short version is that we'd like to get it resolved but we're up to our gills getting everything ready for the June 2nd release, so it's going to be one of those things we attend to after release. Right now we're in the middle of a complete re-write of the UI (original one was a temp UI that just kept getting scaffolded onto) so there's no room for any other work.

Can we change keybinds though? Unlike the guy with the controller question I don't hate WASD but I use the keyboard with my right hand so I generally rebind everything around OKL; to mirror the WASD effect, thumb on the spacebar and all.

Edit: And if yes, will your game poo poo itself or refuse to acknowledge the existence of Umlaut keys (φόδ) in that general area if I try to map a function to it, or will it just treat the button as what it would be on a US keyboard(; [ ')? Being garbage at dealing with non-US keyboard layouts is more of a lovely console port thing (The first Lost Planet just straight up wouldn't let me rebind some of those keys because I guess it had no means to know that when I hit φ it's just ; on the keyboards it was ported with) but I've been burned before.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope

Lemon-Lime posted:

Is that not going into effect until the DLC is actually out for purchase? I would've totally bought the soundtrack but that's a super nice extra, thanks. :)

The first halves of the OST and Audiobook will become available along with v1.0 on June 2nd. The latter halves will get posted as soon as they're finished, by July 1st at the latest.

Psykmoe posted:

Can we change keybinds though? Unlike the guy with the controller question I don't hate WASD but I use the keyboard with my right hand so I generally rebind everything around OKL; to mirror the WASD effect, thumb on the spacebar and all.

Edit: And if yes, will your game poo poo itself or refuse to acknowledge the existence of Umlaut keys (φόδ) in that general area if I try to map a function to it, or will it just treat the button as what it would be on a US keyboard(; [ ')? Being garbage at dealing with non-US keyboard layouts is more of a lovely console port thing (The first Lost Planet just straight up wouldn't let me rebind some of those keys because I guess it had no means to know that when I hit φ it's just ; on the keyboards it was ported with) but I've been burned before.

Keys will be in-game rebindable in the June 2nd release, and it's my understanding that Harry (programmer) has made it so that rebinding shouldn't be an issue regardless of having a non-US keyboard. If you do have any kind of issue just post in the technical thread and you'll typically hear back within a few hours. Harry's an extremely meticulous sort so I'd be genuinely surprised if he doesn't have this already addressed in some fashion.

• Locked thread