Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Isaac posted:

If you play as heel you can distract the ref and know where the folding chairs are. Face you get heaps of bonus gold from tshirt sales depending on CHA

Trump as Sigmund.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMKFIHRpe7I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

LordSaturn posted:

You guys are talking poo poo like there's not a Blood Bowl roguelike: http://sewerjacks.sourceforge.net/

I have been thinking of trying to make a Space Jam roguelike but I am many miles from making that happen.

Thanks for this!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The Renowned Explorers Expansion lands on May 31 and looks to be pretty well fully loaded on up:

quote:

This expansion pack for Renowned Explorers has one goal: giving you More To Explore! The main features are:

Two complete new expeditions: the Andean Adventure & The Lost Island.
The Campfire mechanic: crew relationships, back stories and game-changing upgrades.
Treasure Bonus Choices, turning treasures into surprises that boost your strategy.

More Places To Explore
First of all, you will find two complete new expeditions on your World Map.

The Andean Adventure: A 3-star expedition into ancient Incan mountain territory. Find extremely valuable treasure by helping the different cities rise against the oppressive Emperor. Pay for the Llama Express to jump between areas of the map quickly.
The Lost Island: in this new end-game expedition the secrets of the Anti-Explorers will finally be revealed.. if your crew is capable enough to make it through. Go above and beyond, and you might just find the prehistoric and dangerous secrets hidden in the mysterious pink mist that covers this island.

With unique new mechanics and randomized content as before you'll go on countless adventures before uncovering every new secret and story.
More Stories To Explore
Wrestling star Dolores, Victor the veteran... you may think you know the 20 characters that REIS has to offer but there's more to their story. With the new Campfire feature you'll learn more about your favorite characters.

By playing Crew Story cards you weave new story lines through your adventure, exploring your crew's past, and allowing you to build relationships between characters. Let Anna teach her terribly intelligent lessons, help Ivan stand up for his moral code and decide who falls in love with Maria. No crew will be the same!
More Strategies To Explore
Renowned Explorers is about strategy, and More To Explore gives you brand new ways to build it.

Gathered around the campfire, your crew draws on their past and ambitions as they tell Campfire Stories of your choice. These stories play like cards from a deck, where each story has the ability to transform both your strategy and your crew. Compose different crews to create new decks and unlock new stories after every adventure.
Treasures already granted you nice bonuses, but in this expansion they become a real treat. Each discovery lets you choose from semi-random powerful bonuses, adding to your plan. And if you can't decide, chairman Pinkerton is there to help!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
That sounds awesome and I can't wait for my all-female explorer dream team to get sidetracked and implode because the luchador doesn't know how to handle her gay crush on the movie star :allears:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is gonna sound dumb, but has anyone ever tried some kind of sports-based roguelike? I dunno how that'd even work, probably a made-up sport or something. Most likely I can think is probably some kind of gladiatorial based game.

Sure, depending on how loose you want your definitions to be! The Capture the Flag rogue-like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNRmuM_iwoo

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

That sounds awesome and I can't wait for my all-female explorer dream team to get sidetracked and implode because the luchador doesn't know how to handle her gay crush on the movie star :allears:

This has sold me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

unormal, i know there was a brief talk about how difficulty would be handled in caves of qud further down the line, and to be honest i'd much rather it be handled in a way where the main quest isn't brutally difficult but there's multiple high-end optional challenges players can take on that are definitely above the main quest in difficulty. i've always preferred games that do that, because it gives a lot more to work towards in the end.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

unormal, i know there was a brief talk about how difficulty would be handled in caves of qud further down the line, and to be honest i'd much rather it be handled in a way where the main quest isn't brutally difficult but there's multiple high-end optional challenges players can take on that are definitely above the main quest in difficulty. i've always preferred games that do that, because it gives a lot more to work towards in the end.

We're probably not going to massively re-engineer anything about the mainline progression difficulty at this point. As far as options for making it more acessible for people to expeirience the whole thing, the most serious option we've discussed is somehow check-pointing the main quest so you don't have to start from the beginning every time, and rewarding full playthroughs with achievements instead of making it the only way to play... or simply making save/load a little better integrated and letting people play it like a traditional RPG (again probably with achievement carrots for the trueborn roguelike player)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Unormal posted:

We're probably not going to massively re-engineer anything about the mainline progression difficulty at this point. As far as options for making it more acessible for people to expeirience the whole thing, the most serious option we've discussed is somehow check-pointing the main quest so you don't have to start from the beginning every time, and rewarding full playthroughs with achievements instead of making it the only way to play... or simply making save/load a little better integrated and letting people play it like a traditional RPG (again probably with achievement carrots for the trueborn roguelike player)

i'm sure that whatever you all decide on will work well, to be honest! and achievements + difficult optional challenges are very much a nice way to keep advanced players interested for a long while. just look at doomrl's wide variety of fun bullshit going on.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Third playthrough of gearhead now I know you can sell mechs and mecha items its day 30 and i have 33 reflex and 31 speed im invincible

e

4th or maybe later ill find theres a drop item button

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

GZDoom + Brutal Doom + Oblige random map/episode generator makes for a pretty amusing "Roguelike".

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

GZDoom + Brutal Doom + Oblige random map/episode generator makes for a pretty amusing "Roguelike".

Can these maps be played cooperatively, say, with other people online?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

doctorfrog posted:

Can these maps be played cooperatively, say, with other people online?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hot dog. Gonna try to figure this out.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

doctorfrog posted:

Hot dog. Gonna try to figure this out.

Yeah just try changing variables around at random and see what you get. All it costs is like a minute of time or less to generate.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

well, unormal, i think i was just killed by a really strange bug in caves of qud

this lovely critter showed up in the rust wells and was basically impossible to defeat because it was near-impossible to hit and for some reason duplicated itself in like every open space, so i was eventually whittled down while being unable to really go anywhere barring the occasional moment when a critical exploded one and i could slowly move forward. i don't even have the evil twin negative mutation, so the description is, uh, really weird.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

well, unormal, i think i was just killed by a really strange bug in caves of qud

this lovely critter showed up in the rust wells and was basically impossible to defeat because it was near-impossible to hit and for some reason duplicated itself in like every open space, so i was eventually whittled down while being unable to really go anywhere barring the occasional moment when a critical exploded one and i could slowly move forward. i don't even have the evil twin negative mutation, so the description is, uh, really weird.

It looks like uh... a snapjaw hunter... with evil twin... ??? :confused: :eek: :raise: :stare:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oblige + RLArsenal + RLRPG is also dank.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

dark soulsian duck duck goose, with permadeath

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I begin to see why more roguelikes don't go maximum ham on unicode.

This font is ostensibly fixed width, but look at that loving scrollbar! Turns out that a lot of the symbols are more like 1.5em wide, and the terminal just can't cope.

This problem goes away if I use tiles, but ttymor being playable in the loving tty is a design goal I'm unwilling to compromise on. I might have to do the nethack thing and just use punctuation for some item/equipment types.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Unormal posted:

It looks like uh... a snapjaw hunter... with evil twin... ??? :confused: :eek: :raise: :stare:

it's like the evil twins had evil twins had evil twins had evil twins had evil twins

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Turtlicious posted:

Oblige + RLArsenal + RLRPG is also dank.

is there a guide to set this all up? i tried setting up something similar awhile ago but gave up before it ever worked.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

ToxicFrog posted:

I begin to see why more roguelikes don't go maximum ham on unicode.

This font is ostensibly fixed width, but look at that loving scrollbar! Turns out that a lot of the symbols are more like 1.5em wide, and the terminal just can't cope.

This problem goes away if I use tiles, but ttymor being playable in the loving tty is a design goal I'm unwilling to compromise on. I might have to do the nethack thing and just use punctuation for some item/equipment types.

I think the problem here is not that the font isn't really monospace, it's that it doesn't actually contain glyphs for those characters, so the OS falls back to one that does.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

crab avatar posted:

I think the problem here is not that the font isn't really monospace, it's that it doesn't actually contain glyphs for those characters, so the OS falls back to one that does.

That seems likely. :(

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013
I have a couple of Cogmind questions:

1. I can't figure out if I'm actually running when I hit 'R' plus a movement key. Is your speed value supposed to change?

2. I somehow ended up "discarding" items by dragging them which ended up deleting them. I'm not sure where the command to discard even is, as it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere.

Thanks for any help.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's like the evil twins had evil twins had evil twins had evil twins had evil twins

I figured it out, it was a snapjaw overdosing on shade oil, but the injector is not being destroyed before the overdose clone happens, so the clones overdose on shade oil...

Unormal fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 29, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Unormal posted:

I figured it out, it was a snapjaw overdosing on shade oil, but the injector is not being destroyed before the overdose clone happens, so the clones overdose on shade oil...

hopefully my sacrifice on the altar of bugfixing will lead to future players not being killed by some anime shadow clone bullshit

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

hopefully my sacrifice on the altar of bugfixing will lead to future players not being killed by some anime shadow clone bullshit

Hotfix is up for it, and the cave building issue mentioned somewhere on the internet.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i will light a candle for Sabetha, the level 7 shelled marauder

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Unormal posted:

Hotfix is up for it, and the cave building issue mentioned somewhere on the internet.

Thank you kindly! Looking forward to more spelunking!

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Tremis posted:

I have a couple of Cogmind questions:

1. I can't figure out if I'm actually running when I hit 'R' plus a movement key. Is your speed value supposed to change?

2. I somehow ended up "discarding" items by dragging them which ended up deleting them. I'm not sure where the command to discard even is, as it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere.

Thanks for any help.

To answer your second question, processors (targeting computers, terrain scan processors, hackware, etc) are automatically destroyed if you unequip them. It would be nice if the Game prompted you before this happens really, I've accidentally destroyed hackware before by being careless.

It didn't use to always be like this, but one problem that came up in the alpha is that people would keep 2-3 great pieces of hackware in their inventory and swap them in at terminals. This was 1) grindy and tedious, and 2) against the design goals, since combat cogminds are not meant to be dedicated hackers.

On the bright side, processors have super low coverage and therefore last practically forever with even minimal armor.

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013
Thanks for the answer. Makes sense now.

Still not sure about the run thing though. If anyone can explain how running works, I'd be grateful.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

baram. posted:

is there a guide to set this all up? i tried setting up something similar awhile ago but gave up before it ever worked.

What do you mean? are you downloading the launcher aswell? because it comes with patches that work with Arsenal and its monster mod.

If you're talking about key bindings, i think all you need to do is rebind the movement keys (ASWD for me), the Reload key to R and you're done

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Rrussom posted:

What do you mean? are you downloading the launcher aswell? because it comes with patches that work with Arsenal and its monster mod.

If you're talking about key bindings, i think all you need to do is rebind the movement keys (ASWD for me), the Reload key to R and you're done

I have never used a Doom mod and have no idea how any of these mod combinations work and how to use all of them at once. How would I do so?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Oblige + Brutal Doom on 'Realistic' is good, textures are kinda meh though.

This plus Din's Curse have sucked up all my low-brainpower clicks lately. I feel strange but also good.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Happylisk posted:

To answer your second question, processors (targeting computers, terrain scan processors, hackware, etc) are automatically destroyed if you unequip them. It would be nice if the Game prompted you before this happens really, I've accidentally destroyed hackware before by being careless.
Yeah, confirmation is definitely needed and planned for this, but it's rather complicated to confirm in the code without a lot of extra work due to the possibility that you're trying to swap a part. I'll get to it soon! (Got a little burnt out from the difficulty of implementing all that inventory management stuff in the first place--it's all built on the original 7DRL framework, i.e. kinda messy :P. With stuff like that I revisit it to add more QoL improvements once the effect wears off...)

Note that these parts will have a colon next to them on your parts list. Processor behavior is explained in the manual, and there's a tutorial message the first time you power on a processor, but lots of people miss the tutorial messages because I don't want to make them too intrusive (the blinking hot pink log message with beeping sound effect is as far as I'll go!).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rutibex posted:

Sure, depending on how loose you want your definitions to be! The Capture the Flag rogue-like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNRmuM_iwoo

Oh poo poo, I remember that. It was tons of fun.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Oh poo poo, I remember that. It was tons of fun.

I think I checked back a couple years ago, Carr software still exists and still sells this pretty darn good strategy game. And the pirates one.

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013

Kyzrati posted:

Yeah, confirmation is definitely needed and planned for this, but it's rather complicated to confirm in the code without a lot of extra work due to the possibility that you're trying to swap a part. I'll get to it soon! (Got a little burnt out from the difficulty of implementing all that inventory management stuff in the first place--it's all built on the original 7DRL framework, i.e. kinda messy :P. With stuff like that I revisit it to add more QoL improvements once the effect wears off...)

Note that these parts will have a colon next to them on your parts list. Processor behavior is explained in the manual, and there's a tutorial message the first time you power on a processor, but lots of people miss the tutorial messages because I don't want to make them too intrusive (the blinking hot pink log message with beeping sound effect is as far as I'll go!).

Thanks! I do remember seeing that tutorial message before, but didn't associate it for some reason.

Btw, about my running question:

What does running actually do for you? I can't see any effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Tremis posted:

What does running actually do for you? I can't see any effect.
Oh whoops, sorry missed that question. "Running" is not a mode--"run" movement just means to keep moving in a certain direction, as a UI convenience to simplify the movement input if you plan to just head that way. It's for pure keyboard players and the 'r' modifier specifically is for vi users, allowing one to hold 'r' and press an hjkl direction to keep moving until reaching an obstacle. You can achieve the same effect with Shift-Arrows or Shift-Numpad directions. (vi keys aren't compatible with the Shift-modifier, since that would activate other commands.)