Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Phanatic posted:

It's brackish all the way up to the dam, 150 miles upriver. The tides keep it pretty well mixed. The peak salt concentration depends on the tide, but the whole thing is salty below Federal Dam.

fair point, but it's not salt water like the ocean is

I mean, sure it's probably not good for the plane but sitting a day in there I don't think will gently caress up too much

e- though sitting in an NTSB hangar uncleaned probably will

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

VikingSkull posted:

fair point, but it's not salt water like the ocean is

I mean, sure it's probably not good for the plane but sitting a day in there I don't think will gently caress up too much

The salt won’t gently caress it up instantly, but if it isn’t immediately cleaned (and thoroughly), it quickly becomes a write‐off.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Bob A Feet posted:

Yeah. Three evolutions, one with black out goggles, and the qual per TMS is good for three years. Or four. Id have to look. I'm about to do it again this month. It really is valuable training. Doing it all upside down can be a total mind gently caress. Not to mention you must wait until all violent motion stops before releasing your restraints. Upside down. Under water. In the dark.

There is a big push for all embarked personnel from Marine Expeditionary Units (Marines on boats) to do it as they ride on to and off of Navy ships onboard rotary wing aircraft. My last MEU however only like half the people got training due to timing and funding.

Thankfully, last rotary wing crash with passengers was off of DJ in 2014. Somehow the CH-53 floated or flipped and then floated with the cargo ramp open so everyone was able to swim out with ease. I know both of the pilots (we shared a hangar with the parent squadron) and everyone agreed it was a miracle.

I guess it does make more sense for Navy/Marine personnel to do it more often, since there's a non-zero chance they could be ferried around on a helicopter at some point. And you only have a handful of ports you'd need to maintain the program at. I think USAF water survival was every five years? I'm not sure...combat survival was five though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It isn't just hot shot pilots that get dunked. Everyone (cooks, cleaners, old, young, etc) who works on the North Sea oil platforms goes through various security training, which includes a helicopter bath every few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IkcG8RzqsU

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Godholio posted:

I guess it does make more sense for Navy/Marine personnel to do it more often, since there's a non-zero chance they could be ferried around on a helicopter at some point. And you only have a handful of ports you'd need to maintain the program at. I think USAF water survival was every five years? I'm not sure...combat survival was five though.
It depends on specific guidance (RTM) to a much greater degree right now. Before I left operations for AFMC, we had both combat and water survival at a 3 year interval.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Navy dunker training is a four-year qual. I was talking with some friends about it the other day, and I think the main thing that it teaches isn't so much specifically how to get out of an aircraft (since the trainer is a generic box with seats), but more of an expectation of just how loving confusing everything is when it's upside down, pitch black, and full of water.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

standard.deviant posted:

It depends on specific guidance (RTM) to a much greater degree right now. Before I left operations for AFMC, we had both combat and water survival at a 3 year interval.

Maybe it was three? I went through a refresher for each, so it could've been 3 or 5. But our water refresher was in the local community college's pool. Got to swim in a chain, use the raft, etc, but no dunking.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

Ola posted:

It isn't just hot shot pilots that get dunked. Everyone (cooks, cleaners, old, young, etc) who works on the North Sea oil platforms goes through various security training, which includes a helicopter bath every few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IkcG8RzqsU

Same in Canada, one week survival training up front followed by a three day refresher every three years. Getting out of those things in a full survival seat is not easy in a 15 degC pool, I can't imagine how hard it is in cold water in an emergency situation.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Nebakenezzer asked me to make some floatplane F-35s, so I did.

Nebakenezzer posted:

What if the Marines have no carrier support but have access to a large relatively calm body of water?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Speaking of, yesterday was the rollout for the Be-200ES

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 31, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Oh my god it's :perfect:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Navy dunker training is a four-year qual. I was talking with some friends about it the other day, and I think the main thing that it teaches isn't so much specifically how to get out of an aircraft (since the trainer is a generic box with seats), but more of an expectation of just how loving confusing everything is when it's upside down, pitch black, and full of water.

I did it three times in 6 years, I think? Once in boot camp (or AWT?), once getting ready to float with a MEU and then once again just before I got out because I guess time was up? I don't recall.

The first one was in a Huey and then the other 2 were in ch-47ish mock ups. It was kind of fun but we never hit the water very hard and weren't in full combat gear, I would expect that reality would be much worse.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is it supposed to simulate a controlled ditching under power or autorotation?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I did a helo dunker at a summer camp in Alabama when I was 13. I don't remember it being scary but I assume the one I did went a lot slower. It was a big cylinder with windows that got lowered by a crane into a saltwater pool. I don't think it flipped over when it submerged either but I don't remember. There was also a zipline into the pool to simulate parachuting into the water.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Is it supposed to simulate a controlled ditching under power or autorotation?

Neither, if I understand you correctly, there is no impact. It simulates the helicopter sinking and turning over, which it is likely to do since it has all that heavy weight on top. Helicopters usually have flotation devices for ditching, but they can fail.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Ola posted:

Helicopters usually have flotation devices for ditching, but they can fail.

Like what?

Its an egress trainer. IE to show you how hosed up its going to be to be underwater, in the dark, scrambling with a bunch of your best friends trying to find the exits. Its also teaching you how to use an oxygen bottle-- which all aircrew carry and all of our lifejackets we give to passengers have as well. Nothing that is safe can prepare you for the impact of an autorotation into the water. And, in a power on ditching scenario-- ideally, you get everything out before you go into the water. IE come into a low hover, kick the raft out and have the pax/aircrew jump out, and then the pilots bring it down under power.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

Like what?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

Like what?

Its an egress trainer. IE to show you how hosed up its going to be to be underwater, in the dark, scrambling with a bunch of your best friends trying to find the exits. Its also teaching you how to use an oxygen bottle-- which all aircrew carry and all of our lifejackets we give to passengers have as well. Nothing that is safe can prepare you for the impact of an autorotation into the water. And, in a power on ditching scenario-- ideally, you get everything out before you go into the water. IE come into a low hover, kick the raft out and have the pax/aircrew jump out, and then the pilots bring it down under power.

Some sponsoons are supposed to provide limited water landing capability.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Not all aircrew have O2 bottles. Or are wearing lifejackets.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just recently there was a proposal from the feds in Canada that commercial carrier floatplane crew and passengers should be wearing personal floatation devices for the flight duration. Seems like a good idea to me really. There are some fairly compact and unobtrusive PFDs available. Just as long as folks dont inflate them by accident on purpose when fuckin around.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/ottawa-proposes-that-commercial-floatplane-passengers-and-crew-wear-life-vests

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

So is that a failure because it's flipped or is it just supposed to keep it from sinking to the bottom?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Godholio posted:

Not all aircrew have O2 bottles. Or are wearing lifejackets.

Woops! You're right. I meant Navy/USMC, and by that I meant rotary wing. Guys who land on boats alot. Ejection seat guys have a raft and an auto-inflatable life jacket tethered to them. TBH I have no clue what P-3/P-8/E-6B guys do.

Yeah, I imagine wearing a life jacket would get in the way when you're trying to make coffee or get in your rack, right?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I know on AWACS, the poopy suits are stuffed in the back next to the shitter (appropriate). If you're going out over the water further than ~50 miles you shove one under your seat. But they're a pain in the dick to put on even on level ground, so good luck doing so in an airliner that's making it's way to an unplanned water landing. It's basically just assumed that you're hosed anyway. They don't even carry parachutes anymore because again, good luck putting it on and successfully jumping out without getting chopped in half by a wing/horizontal stabilizer or shredded by the underbelly UHF antennae.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Parachutes aren't on the E-3 any more because the conditions that would allow a 'safe' egress are the same for a flyable aircraft.

But really it's more likely for cost and manpower reasons.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Godholio posted:

I know on AWACS, the poopy suits are stuffed in the back next to the shitter (appropriate). If you're going out over the water further than ~50 miles you shove one under your seat. But they're a pain in the dick to put on even on level ground, so good luck doing so in an airliner that's making it's way to an unplanned water landing.

do you get the poopy suit song running through your head any time someone mentions them

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

[at least you tried.jpg]

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

do you get the poopy suit song running through your head any time someone mentions them

Alright, I'll bite - I have an idea what the poopy suit is, but why is it called that and now I want to know how the song goes. :v:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Duke Chin posted:

[at least you tried.jpg]

Alright, I'll bite - I have an idea what the poopy suit is, but why is it called that and now I want to know how the song goes. :v:

This is probably the song, it's one of the highlights of the The MST3K episode The Starfighters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64DMXtZB8CU

The movie proper is like a promotional video for the F-104. You can see the whole episode here. My favorite moment is the "we're going to bomb them back to the jazz age" bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dDumDN3Y5I

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
When I was doing emergency / survival training back in nautical school, the instructor helpfully pointed out that we could be in one of those floating around in the water for sixteen hours, and there's no butt flap.

Don't know if it's where the name came from, just wanted to share.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

not as bad as polishing aluminum

I mean, yeah it looks great on an old plane but gently caress you man I ain't doing that again

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

FrozenVent posted:

When I was doing emergency / survival training back in nautical school, the instructor helpfully pointed out that we could be in one of those floating around in the water for sixteen hours, and there's no butt flap.

Don't know if it's where the name came from, just wanted to share.

Dude it's called a poopy suit, not a poop in the suit.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
I chuckled at this article.

Unsurprisingly 737 is #2 and A320 is #1.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
No Cessna 172? No B-52?

e: Anything Cirrus makes because of the airframe parachute taking all the fun out of doctor‐killing.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 1, 2016

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

F-15 doesn't belong on that list. I'd put the F-16 in it's place.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Previa_fun posted:

F-15 doesn't belong on that list. I'd put the F-16 in it's place.

Nah, F-15 is "boring" (in the context of the article) because it does its job well with no obvious flaws. The closest thing you get to exciting with it is an undefeated combat record against fourth string militaries or the fact that it can fly with most of a wing off, which in the context of this article just makes it all the more boring because even when it gets ripped almost in half it just flies right back home.

F-16 has all sorts of excitement, what with the single engine and the lawn darting and the getting blown over by B-1s

e: Same thing with the F-14...compressor stalls galore.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ghetto wormhole posted:

So is that a failure because it's flipped or is it just supposed to keep it from sinking to the bottom?

Because it's flipped, but I think in that case it's many hours after the actual landing and the waves caused it to finally flip.

e: here's one, maybe the same, floating upright: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/11/north-sea-helicopters-oil-pressure-report-ditch

Ola fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 1, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

iyaayas01 posted:

I like this, it's kinda like the Cool Wall on old Top Gear. It's completely subjective so the interesting thing is how the case is made.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
France is saying they've picked up the pings from the Black box of AirEgypt 804.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

CommieGIR posted:

France is saying they've picked up the pings from the Black box of AirEgypt 804.

I looked up the BBC to get more info on this, (here it is for the interested) and stumbled across this four minute film on the crash of the Tu-144 at the Paris air show.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thought this was kind of a nice photo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

slidebite posted:

Thought this was kind of a nice photo

Pictured: two trainers and two turds.