Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Is it sad that I know several people who are basically Richard vis a vis tabs/spaces, but a programmer indenting by actually pressing spaces breaks my disbelief? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The video chat with Dinesh was hilariously brutal. Good on Jared too. Why bring sand to the beach when pussy is already there?

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

This episode may have been a little bit lackluster but this is loving incredible. This show is my favorite thing.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
The reveal that Russ was right totally makes this episode a 10/10. I will listen to no disagreement.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The reveal that Russ was right totally makes this episode a 10/10. I will listen to no disagreement.

When Jared comes out of his garageroom, nonchalantly ushers his conquest out of the house, and wordlessly sits down to work as it literally nothing at all has happened, I looked at my wife and said, "holy poo poo... this guy really does gently caress!" Dinesh confirming what we already knew was handled perfectly.

This guy being able to effortlessly get sex the moment he stops voluntarily choosing not to get it is amazing in and of itself, but when you factor in the fact that literally everything else in his life is some kind of poo poo contained in one of many styles of poo poo bags, poo poo bags which are also made of poo poo? It's sublimely ridiculous. And yeah, this is why he hasn't murdered everybody yet. I bet the Unabomber wouldn't have even thought of making bombs if he was slammin' rear end all over town like Jared is.

Gilfoyle's expression when he sees the tie on the door, signifying another encounter for jared... somehow, that mostly blank look just carried so much weighty disbelief.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Golden Bee posted:

Gilfoyle feels like he hasn't had a subplot in years

His girlfriend is returning next week, so at least that's something.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Xarn posted:

Is it sad that I know several people who are basically Richard vis a vis tabs/spaces, but a programmer indenting by actually pressing spaces breaks my disbelief? :v:

She was probably trying to rile him up.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Mister Fister posted:

Not sure how i missed this

<:mad:>

Zero One posted:

Tres Comas!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Xarn posted:

I think they might have overblown the spaces thing a little bit. No one in the world is going to manually type out spaces. You'd set up your IDE to put in however many spaces when you press tab.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Guys she was loving with him.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
This was great and I wish this entire video had been played in place of Richard's subplot this episode.

Jared is still hilarious and so is Bachman. See, unlike Richard, I can actually sort of root for Erlich but not really mind or feel bad when he fails - in a (less extreme) Cartman kind of way.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Holyshoot posted:

Is that tab vs space thing as bad as vi vs Vim vs nano?
Yes, but not as bad a curly brace placement.
code:
if (something) {
	feh();
}
vs
code:
if (something)
{
	feh();
}
And that's just the tip of the ice:spergin:

Xarn posted:

Seriously.

vimrc posted:

set tabstop=4

Mortanis posted:

Though, what do I know. I use Nano.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

John Big Booty posted:

Yes, but not as bad a curly brace placement.
code:
if (something) {
	feh();
}

You just made me violently shudder.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Medullah posted:

You just made me violently shudder.

Why? That's the correct way to do it.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

waitwhatno posted:

Why? That's the correct way to do it.

At least we can agree to put the goddamn braces in.

Unless of course you're working in a superior language like F# that uses indentation depth for scope.

TheBlackVegetable fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 30, 2016

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
fukken nerds

(Tabs and

Whatever {

}

for me.)

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Can we go back to arguing about kneepads

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Braces go on their own line. If you don't do that, you're wrong.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

tarlibone posted:

This guy being able to effortlessly get sex the moment he stops voluntarily choosing not to get it is amazing in and of itself, but when you factor in the fact that literally everything else in his life is some kind of poo poo contained in one of many styles of poo poo bags, poo poo bags which are also made of poo poo? It's sublimely ridiculous. And yeah, this is why he hasn't murdered everybody yet. I bet the Unabomber wouldn't have even thought of making bombs if he was slammin' rear end all over town like Jared is.

Seriously, his childhood stuffed toy was a ziplock bag filled with newspaper with a face drawn on it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

John Big Booty posted:

code:
if (something) {
	feh();
}

This is the correct way

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

John Big Booty posted:

code:
if (something) {
	feh();
}
This is for little babby coders who think one day they can make cool videogames or something because they took two C classes at the local community college.

quote:

code:
if (something)
{
	feh();
}
This is for 10th level blackbelt masters who are one step away from turning into a tree after achieving perfection.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I was bored to death by Richard's subplot, but I guess they were playing to a section of their audience.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

See what I mean? Some people just can't help going Rain Man on the stupidest loving poo poo.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

John Big Booty posted:

See what I mean? Some people just can't help going Rain Man on the stupidest loving poo poo.

It's not stupid loving poo poo. The IF statement is always followed by the nested statement directly, on the same line. You can't just start making exceptions because of ~curly braces~, that's ridiculous. Makes zero sense.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

This is for little babby coders who think one day they can make cool videogames or something because they took two C classes at the local community college.

This is for 10th level blackbelt masters who are one step away from turning into a tree after achieving perfection.

Once it goes through the compiler it's the same thing!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

It's not stupid loving poo poo. The IF statement is always followed by the nested statement directly, on the same line. You can't just start making exceptions because of ~curly braces~, that's ridiculous. Makes zero sense.
Maybe it doesn't make sense to you, but that's not everyone else's problem.

Coding is and always has been highly idiosyncratic. Half the job is figuring out what some rear end in a top hat you'll never meet was trying to do.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

at my job i indiscriminately use tabs and spaces and whatever {
}

and whatever
{

}

based on how i'm feeling, because gently caress everyone else :twisted:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Go to hell if you put the curly brace on the next line.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

waitwhatno posted:

What? How do you nest something on the same line?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

The first one looks better but the second one feels better to think about. Does this mean I have the 'tism?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Shut up Richards.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Vintersorg posted:

Go to hell if you put the curly brace on the next line.

Truth, brother.

Also,

"There was a time a hundred years ago people like me could have people like that killed."

:stare:

"I mean, hypothetically."

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mrmcd posted:

Truth, brother.

Also,

"There was a time a hundred years ago people like me could have people like that killed."

"I mean, hypothetically."

"...or do I...."

That back and forth was awesome, he just wanted someone in the room to give him a sly nod or something.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

It's like the argument about how to put toilet paper on the roller, it does not matter. Your fart app will run just the same with both.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Grem posted:

Shut up Richards.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Poetic Justice posted:

Once it goes through the compiler it's the same thing!

See? This guy fucks.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

People that don't properly newline braces are like the trogs that use quotations around words to make them "stand out".

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Or those that can handle processing code without a bunch of extra white space.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
"Once it goes thru the compiler it's all the same" is not the point. It's about maintaining (adding functionality, fixing bugs, etc.) source code with hosed up formatting and spending a bunch of time and mental anguish updating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kdrudy posted:

It's like the argument about how to put toilet paper on the roller, it does not matter. Your fart app will run just the same with both.

Over hand is the correct way. Otherwise the quilting would be facing the wrong way.

• Locked thread