Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Aw geez, I don't really remember, and last year's info isn't up on the fiesta website anymore. I'm pretty sure my last party was Thief/Thief/White Mage/Black Mage. I distinctly remember the second Thief had nothing much better to do in the final battle other than throwing elixirs at the mages to keep them going.

EDIT: Actually I can just check my #victory tweets. Looks like I remembered wrong and only did two Classic runs. The first was Knight/Monk/Red Mage/Red Mage. Red Mages are definitely lame in Natural, and are the only thing that make me hesitate to do another Classic run this year.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

They really need to move up the start date. June feels like a great time to start!

The waiting and burning out on practice runs is the mind killer.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'm going to be completely honest. I DID sign up for the last one...but...I never got too far into it because I was bouncing everywhere and anywhere between games. I DID buy the PC version for my Steam when it was on sale on GameStop some time ago...might be good to do FJF to enjoy FF5 again.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kemix posted:

I'm going to be completely honest. I DID sign up for the last one...but...I never got too far into it because I was bouncing everywhere and anywhere between games. I DID buy the PC version for my Steam when it was on sale on GameStop some time ago...might be good to do FJF to enjoy FF5 again.

Fair warning that the Steam version of FF5 has all of the same balance tweaks/bugfixes as the mobile version, as it's a direct port. For some things this is an improvement (Geomancers actually don't suck as bad! Berserkers don't randomly target any more!) but for most it's a downgrade (No more !Calm-locking Omega, no more refreshing the Mirage Vest, no Twin Lance bypassing Chicken Knife's !Flee proc, Rug Wizard is even more of an rear end in a top hat).

Also you don't have frameskip to speed up through the unfun parts of the game like when you have to wait for things to happen (I hate you, World 2)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 30, 2016

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

I kind of want to see the mobile Romancing Saga style sprites so I might give a random run a go on the mobile port. There's basically no way to get dicked over on the Void / Exdeath / Fork Tower in a random run. If you need it you'll have the tools to deal with it because crystal 1 and 2 classes are so foundational

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

zolthorg posted:

I kind of want to see the mobile Romancing Saga style sprites so I might give a random run a go on the mobile port. There's basically no way to get dicked over on [...] Fork Tower in a random run.

Any combination of: Knight, Monk, Berserker, Ninja, Beastmaster, Geomancer, Ranger, Bard, Dragoon, Samurai, and/or Dancer will be unable to get past Omniscient in Mobile, as he now casts Return/Reset on:
  • Non-magical attack commands other than !Steal (includes hippie poo poo) even while Berserked
  • Reflected Libras
  • Reflected Silence procs off a Mage Masher? (Citation needed)

You basically need a form of magic (or Silence Sword) to kill Omniscient in the mobile version.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

zolthorg posted:

There's basically no way to get dicked over on the Void / Exdeath / Fork Tower in a random run. If you need it you'll have the tools to deal with it because crystal 1 and 2 classes are so foundational

Can Random not give duplicates anymore? Because back in the day it was capable of spitting out some pretty loving awful nightmare scenarios like two Monks and two Geomancers.

For some reason I'm tempted to do my second Classic run for an opener this year. I got two Knights and two White Mages last time. I'm really tempting fate.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

KataraniSword posted:

Any combination of: Knight, Monk, Berserker, Ninja, Beastmaster, Geomancer, Ranger, Bard, Dragoon, Samurai, and/or Dancer will be unable to get past Omniscient in Mobile, as he now casts Return/Reset on:
  • Non-magical attack commands other than !Steal (includes hippie poo poo) even while Berserked
  • Reflected Libras
  • Reflected Silence procs off a Mage Masher? (Citation needed)

You basically need a form of magic (or Silence Sword) to kill Omniscient in the mobile version.
I killed him by lowering battle speed to minimum, proccing a Silence off Mage Masher (just normal attack), then three Zeninages while he was still silenced. It's very tight, but juuuust works. You need to have the pure damage output for it to start, obviously.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

KataraniSword posted:

Berserkers don't randomly target any more!

Wait what? What does this mean? Like can you target things with berserkers or do they just stick to one target until it dies?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Arrrthritis posted:

Wait what? What does this mean? Like can you target things with berserkers or do they just stick to one target until it dies?
They still do their own thing, but they won't attack the back row as long as front row targets are still alive, and there are also no more dummy targets for them to hit in the Sandworm and other fights.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I never notice this thread until it's several dozen pages in. :negative:

Gonna try and at least match the 10 runs (8 triple crowns) I knocked out last year. Ideally I'll even beat it, but I'm not promising that because I burned the gently caress out near the end last year.

What intrigues me most this year is the mention of the "secret command" Gilgabot mentioned on Twitter. I want to figure it out myself but I am also incredibly dumb so my chance of figuring it without help are quite low. :eng99:

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 30, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

OzFactor posted:

Is there any way at all to make Natural fun, or is it just terrible no matter what other variants you run? Classic can't be that bad, can it?

I think the only way to make Natural fun is modding the game to buff every job with the trade-off of not being able to equip abilities, making the job system work a lot more like FF3. I'm kinda tempted to do a mod like that, but even that would likely lose its luster after awhile

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

OzFactor posted:

Classic can't be that bad, can it?

I had this exact thought when I picked out a Classic run back in 2014.

I got Monk/Monk/Monk/Red Mage.

That's why it was my ONLY Classic run.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Can Random not give duplicates anymore? Because back in the day it was capable of spitting out some pretty loving awful nightmare scenarios like two Monks and two Geomancers.

Only Chaos allows for duplicates now.

E: Well, you can get duplicate berserkers if you Random Risk, but that's it.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 30, 2016

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

OzFactor posted:

Is there any way at all to make Natural fun, or is it just terrible no matter what other variants you run? Classic can't be that bad, can it?

The only time I ever had fun was when I used the chat's fiesta generator to roll up both a Natural and Chaos run, which gave every character two jobs to play off each other. Other than that, I don't think there's a way to make it fun.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

The worst part of the pyramid is that you sometimes can't run. Zephyrus! :argh:

This is why thief is secretly the best wind class.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

OzFactor posted:

Strict natural is not fun, but if you do some other mode, you can assign each character their crystal's job plus one other. That can get you some interesting restrictions without being as boring as a straight natural run.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
I have no idea what I'm doing, and have never successfully finished a Final Fantasy game (though oddly have played most of them). Time to sack up and get this done. I'm in.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
I'm actually really impatient to get this started.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Give Pat a Job posted:

I have no idea what I'm doing, and have never successfully finished a Final Fantasy game (though oddly have played most of them). Time to sack up and get this done. I'm in.

final fantasy five is probably the easiest to complete quickly, especially if you don't futz around and grind 20 jobs because you only have 4 available to you in a fiesta

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

FFV is my second favorite after VI; makes me wish there was a way to do a yearly FFVI challenge. I also wish I hadn't seen this thread till closer to the challenge, the anticipation always kills me.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

How Rude posted:

final fantasy five is probably the easiest to complete quickly, especially if you don't futz around and grind 20 jobs because you only have 4 available to you in a fiesta

My triple crown with Porkchop (Dancer/Blue/Time/Bard) in 2014 has an in-game time of 19 hours, with a fast-forward on VBA that I can barely control.

I think runs of the later ports of FF1 can go faster simply because you can just stomp on poo poo with fighters.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Admiral Joeslop posted:

FFV is my second favorite after VI; makes me wish there was a way to do a yearly FFVI challenge. I also wish I hadn't seen this thread till closer to the challenge, the anticipation always kills me.

Signup starts in like 18 hours. This was pretty close.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Prism posted:

Signup starts in like 18 hours. This was pretty close.

How long is it typically between sign up and the start?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Depends. I'd guess probably a week or two; I honestly can't remember how long it has been in the past.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The Fiesta itself usually starts around halfway through June and tends to run until the end of August.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Fister Roboto posted:

This is why thief is secretly the best wind class.

Also it's just about the only part of the game where I'm GLAD to have the Chicken Knife's flee effect. Just start swinging at her and you'll either win fairly quickly with a powerful weapon or GTFO earlier than expected.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Hopefully this time I can make my own way into finishing a fiesta. Wonder what that secret run is this year?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Hopefully this time I can make my own way into finishing a fiesta. Wonder what that secret run is this year?

There's something called #upgrade that's mutually exclusive with #natural. And a secret command we suspect is related to everhate's 4-zerker run.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

My triple crown with Porkchop (Dancer/Blue/Time/Bard) in 2014 has an in-game time of 19 hours, with a fast-forward on VBA that I can barely control.

I think runs of the later ports of FF1 can go faster simply because you can just stomp on poo poo with fighters.

Not to mention the weapons that proc spells when used as items. Like, if you know about them when you get them around half-way in, you won't really need to use actual spells until the end game.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Does anyone know the level 4 zerkers should be at for NED? Praying to RNGesus is clearly a part of it.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Almost a month, Prism is a moron

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 31, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Does anyone know the level 4 zerkers should be at for NED? Praying to RNGesus is clearly a part of it.

92 is the last multiplier but you might as well get that extra 7% chance off of White Hole.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

92 is the last multiplier but you might as well get that extra 7% chance off of White Hole.

Holy gently caress. That sounds like a adventure into insanity. Not sure I love Fiesta enough to do that.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

zolthorg posted:

Almost a month, Prism is a moron

What did I ever do to you?

It looks like in previous years, checking my tweets, it has ranged between 2 and 3 weeks. Longer than I thought, but not that much. Registrations open in 13 and a half hours.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Holy gently caress. That sounds like a adventure into insanity. Not sure I love Fiesta enough to do that.

What platform are you on? if you can hold the up button and auto-fire A for whenever item drop prompts appear, you can grind away in the pyramid without much trouble. Thorg has the thief knife in that as he can occasionally steal an elixir from Zephyrus, and at the incredibly slow rate that Berserkers' HP drop in that area you only need to check in every so often to pop a few to keep going.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

What platform are you on? if you can hold the up button and auto-fire A for whenever item drop prompts appear, you can grind away in the pyramid without much trouble. Thorg has the thief knife in that as he can occasionally steal an elixir from Zephyrus, and at the incredibly slow rate that Berserkers' HP drop in that area you only need to check in every so often to pop a few to keep going.

GBA. I consider myself a fiesta veteran but I never really have good grinding spots off note. I often just grind in the desert with the phoenix tower in it, if I don't have access to undersea trench. That spot is great, you can just watch some movie and grind away.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

ultrafilter posted:

Strict natural is not fun, but if you do some other mode, you can assign each character their crystal's job plus one other. That can get you some interesting restrictions without being as boring as a straight natural run.

That's a good idea, maybe just do a second roll or something to determine the secondary jobs. Or maybe just keep the limitation that each successive character is tied to a crystal (Bartz-Wind, Lenna-Water, etc) and restrict it to only Lenna/Faris and Bartz/Galuf/Krile get to share jobs.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

FFV's the shortest of Final Fantasies for sure, but what burns shortest burns brightest! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?

Lovely Senorita posted:

FFV's the shortest of Final Fantasies for sure, but what burns shortest burns brightest! :v:

Counter point:
Mystic Quest

• Locked thread