Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
Higher Ed :yotj: trip report.

I have entered a place where the people are nice, but out of a three person server team there is me, and then a contractor who is leaving the 15th of June who used to work there. When the entire team noped out, they contracted him back for a short time to keep poo poo running. He is trying to push all the documentation and buried bodies into my head as fast as he can. His documentation is a bunch of .docx files in his file share covering everything. It's very detailed and up to date, but in a bunch of places, with password protected xlsx files with other passwords. Again, he knows his poo poo and is doing a good job getting it all in my head and making poo poo run, just not as efficient as I would like. One of my first official acts is going to be getting confluence setup just for myself and 5 others (hence the $10 a year to cover it), and use AD to lock out passwords and other important poo poo. Gonna be a lot of work, but there is a lot of cool stuff to do and no more doing bullshit desktop support!

It all seems doable, and I'm not going to be bored, I'm ready for the challenge but Im not going to kill myself because "Hey we need more people", not "well this guy can do it all!" Since the licensing and budget is something I am going to be handling, I might just apply for the manager position when / if it reopens soon since I'll be doing the job already just without the pay increase.

I told my supervisor about my wedding in September and instead of being a dick and grumbling or wheezing about it, he congratulated me, and said we would talk about what we need to do to ensure I have the time off (with pay) when it comes up. Have I entered a brand new reality or are they just afraid I'll leave and then they will have no one again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Here's an audiophile forum talking about how to set up Windows 10 for diskless boot off iSCSI because MY NOISY HARD DRIVE

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/diskless-windows-10-pc-setup-procedure-27363/

There's discussion of whether Intel or Mellanox NICs produce better sound quality

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ptier posted:

Higher Ed :yotj: trip report.

I have entered a place where the people are nice, but out of a three person server team there is me, and then a contractor who is leaving the 15th of June who used to work there. When the entire team noped out, they contracted him back for a short time to keep poo poo running. He is trying to push all the documentation and buried bodies into my head as fast as he can. His documentation is a bunch of .docx files in his file share covering everything. It's very detailed and up to date, but in a bunch of places, with password protected xlsx files with other passwords. Again, he knows his poo poo and is doing a good job getting it all in my head and making poo poo run, just not as efficient as I would like. One of my first official acts is going to be getting confluence setup just for myself and 5 others (hence the $10 a year to cover it), and use AD to lock out passwords and other important poo poo. Gonna be a lot of work, but there is a lot of cool stuff to do and no more doing bullshit desktop support!

It all seems doable, and I'm not going to be bored, I'm ready for the challenge but Im not going to kill myself because "Hey we need more people", not "well this guy can do it all!" Since the licensing and budget is something I am going to be handling, I might just apply for the manager position when / if it reopens soon since I'll be doing the job already just without the pay increase.

I told my supervisor about my wedding in September and instead of being a dick and grumbling or wheezing about it, he congratulated me, and said we would talk about what we need to do to ensure I have the time off (with pay) when it comes up. Have I entered a brand new reality or are they just afraid I'll leave and then they will have no one again?

So do you know the reason the entire server team up and quit?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

flosofl posted:

Having spent 6 years in higher ed myself, the reason is almost certainly money.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

flosofl posted:

They had always been short staffed, the contractor said that they felt that no one cared ( where funding was concerned ). Without going into too much to Doxx myself, president left under some less that great circumstances, accreditation scares and the CIO bounced to a better school as well at some point. There was uncertainty in the air. We are getting a new perm CIO in the coming months and the new president seems competent though. And state doesn't pay great, so I think people took the opportunity to go to something that seemed more a sure, read: :10bux: thing. Some went to an MSP in the area, which I think they are going to regret having come from another MSP, but whatevs. They will learn on their own about that.

Its kind of a rebuilding year. I've been in higher ed before, so I went in with my eyes open about politics, budget, glacial pace, etc. But after 5 years of MSP hell, I wanted something with a lot more home life balance and time off. I'm cool with the trade offs.

ptier fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 29, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

Here's an audiophile forum talking about how to set up Windows 10 for diskless boot off iSCSI because MY NOISY HARD DRIVE

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/diskless-windows-10-pc-setup-procedure-27363/

There's discussion of whether Intel or Mellanox NICs produce better sound quality

Every time I think audiophiles have gone peak retarded, they find a new Mt Everest.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Vulture Culture posted:

"What's an SSD"

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

"What's an SSD"

:pseudo: Well you see, adding an electrical device to the computer will add the just little bit of EM interference which I can hear through my speakers that connect to cables that have rocks around them suspended off the floor! Its excruciating to listen to my FLACs like that!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Pfft, it's digital anyway, it already sucks. :smug:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
That's why you run it through a DAC first, dum dum.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I find the Mellanox NICs just have a warmer feel.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Use oxygen free copper SFP-DA links rather than fibre as well, fibre sounds too digital.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

psydude posted:

I find the Mellanox NICs just have a warmer feel.

Are you stupid? That's distortion you're hearing. You probably think vinyl is better than CDs too don't you? It's all the same reason, because there's more harmonic distortion in a way that you're used to hearing so it sounds "better" to you. I know some of the guys at Mellanox - they actually introduced a little bit of that on purpose when they were designing the NICs, because they knew they'd be able to get the vinyl crowd to buy in once they heard the "warm" sound.

Intel on the other hand went all-out to design the cleanest and clearest NIC you could ever buy. They use 100% silver-wound dielectric parts so that every single bit that gets transmitted has no alteration of its rising wave - that way there's absolutely no smearing in the time domain and what you get is the best representation. Don't get me wrong, you still need all the other parts in the chain to be at that level too and I would definitely recommend a good Corsair PSU (with the gold-plated capacitors natch - cleans up the sound immediately), and the other thing most people forget is that the graphics card actually comes into play here because it's displaying your bits on the screen as you play them. So if you don't want your graphics card ruining all that hard work you put in you're going to need one of the Quadro line from Nvidia - it's a bit pricy but because it can push so many pixels it'll easily be able to keep up with the bitstream even at 384 kHz / 128 bit.

But I mean if you want your music distorted all to hell you go right ahead with your Mellanox BS. I bet you have the Dyson margarita machine too - overpriced crap sold to idiots. Now if you want my advice, I'd go with the Marg9000 - that's a true margarita tool.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Skype for Business has been atrocious for us. Sometimes it just doesn't receive messages because :shrug:, but the best bug we've found is that it straight-up wouldn't open if someone else was already logged in on their own account when you'd switched Windows user to another profile.

Skype for anything is awful. My friends and I have a chat group and messages some times take eight hours to go through. What the hell is that? We've had chat technology for over 20 years, why does skype gently caress it up so bad?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Vulture Culture posted:

i want to find these nerds IRL and hold them upside down and shake the money out of them

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

go3 posted:

i want to find these nerds IRL and hold them upside down and shake the money out of them
You've got competition with that guy who sells them aquarium pebbles.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Potato Alley posted:

Are you stupid? That's distortion you're hearing. You probably think vinyl is better than CDs too don't you? It's all the same reason, because there's more harmonic distortion in a way that you're used to hearing so it sounds "better" to you. I know some of the guys at Mellanox - they actually introduced a little bit of that on purpose when they were designing the NICs, because they knew they'd be able to get the vinyl crowd to buy in once they heard the "warm" sound.

Intel on the other hand went all-out to design the cleanest and clearest NIC you could ever buy. They use 100% silver-wound dielectric parts so that every single bit that gets transmitted has no alteration of its rising wave - that way there's absolutely no smearing in the time domain and what you get is the best representation. Don't get me wrong, you still need all the other parts in the chain to be at that level too and I would definitely recommend a good Corsair PSU (with the gold-plated capacitors natch - cleans up the sound immediately), and the other thing most people forget is that the graphics card actually comes into play here because it's displaying your bits on the screen as you play them. So if you don't want your graphics card ruining all that hard work you put in you're going to need one of the Quadro linefrom Nvidia - it's a bit pricy but because it can push so many pixels it'll easily be able to keep up with the bitstream even at 384 kHz / 128 bit.

But I mean if you want your music distorted all to hell you go right ahead with your Mellanox BS. I bet you have the Dyson margarita machine too - overpriced crap sold to idiots. Now if you want my advice, I'd go with the Marg9000 - that's a true margarita tool.

Admit it, you moonlight as the copywriter over at Lessloss.com.

(This is my favorite bullshit audiophile thing of all time: http://www.lessloss.com/blackbody-p-200.html Now discontinued :( )

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sirotan posted:

Admit it, you moonlight as the copywriter over at Lessloss.com.

(This is my favorite bullshit audiophile thing of all time: http://www.lessloss.com/blackbody-p-200.html Now discontinued :( )

I don't, but I actually wrote that post pretty much off the top of my head, and it's surprising even to me how easily the bullshit flowed from my brain. I think it's precisely because I've read all those sites when they get passed along on Facebook or whatever. I think the wooden volume knob was still my favorite though even over the blackbody thing.

Hrm. You know, I HAVE been thinking of setting up one of these companies for a while now because it's apparently just as easy as predicted to separate fools and their money, and if I can write that post in two minutes I'm certainly qualified to make audiophile "equipment" and sell it for muchobucks.

It occurs to me that most people don't clean their speaker wire very often - that's really bad for the electrons and slows down the audio. Tsk tsk. If only there were a solution! (heh, chemistry joke)

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I don't know anything about the audiophile community, other than that they are batshit insane. Are really fringe "products" like the aquarium rocks

1) Elegantly crafted trolls no-one really buys
2) Elegantly crafted trolls a bunch of insane idiots still buy
3) A real (stupid) product made by someone who earnestly thinks it works and has value

The whole field is so gonzo I literally can't distinguish between trolls and true believers. Potato Alley nailed it and apparently wasn't even trying :v:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Docjowles posted:

I don't know anything about the audiophile community, other than that they are batshit insane. Are really fringe "products" like the aquarium rocks

3) A real (stupid) product made by someone who earnestly thinks it works and has value

The whole field is so gonzo I literally can't distinguish between trolls and true believers. Potato Alley nailed it and apparently wasn't even trying :v:
He created the page talking about the magical properties of fishbowl gravel as a joke but eventually enough people kept asking him where they could buy it that he started to sell them, because why not.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Docjowles posted:

The MachinaDynamica site started as static pages of him tossing together junk he had lying around and claiming it was audiophile stuff. Then people started actually wanting to order the stuff (whether seriously or not, who can tell?) and he made it possible to actually order and he'd ship the dumb thing.

These days he gets slow but steady streams of orders and whether they're joking or not, he's receiving real money and so he actually has to keep stock of various cheap items.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Amazing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That man is my idol.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I had never heard of this site so I looked it up.

wut

also

quote:

All of our springs will come cryogenically treated, not only the Cryo Baby Promethean Mini Isolators but also the very soft springs for very lightweight components and the Super Stiff Springs for very heavy components.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Vulture Culture posted:

At first I read the NIC thing and thought it was similar to the problem I was having with (somehow) my NIC driver causing horrible audio stuttering. I'm weirdly drawn to spoilers. Then I read the first part.

:staredog:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

Personal update:

My $30 Creative speakers don't sound any better though :confused:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vulture Culture posted:

Personal update:

Unplug your cpu fan. That way it'll sound warmer.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This made my eyelid start twitching....

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Personal update:

Make sure you have correctly configured your music player.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Won't that make my CPU sweat? Moisture isn't good for high-end audio electronics.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Low-humidity listening environments sound too bright imo

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Out of curiosity - one of my coworkers is going to work for a vendor of a product we own. Long story short his director really upset him, and he found out that he's the lowest paid on his team despite being with the company for 20 years. He's actually pretty good.

That director started threatening the vendor saying we're going to drop their product if they hire him on, and didn't even try to match the salary they offered him.

Is any of that illegal? Or just a dick move?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Out of curiosity - one of my coworkers is going to work for a vendor of a product we own. Long story short his director really upset him, and he found out that he's the lowest paid on his team despite being with the company for 20 years. He's actually pretty good.

That director started threatening the vendor saying we're going to drop their product if they hire him on, and didn't even try to match the salary they offered him.

I don't think it's criminally illegal, but if the vendor doesn't hire him because of that, he could file a civil action. That's generally why most HR won't say much beyond verifying former employment and maybe if they're eligible for re-hire.

It's definitely a dick move, though.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Colonial Air Force posted:

It's definitely a dick move, though.

Huge dick move. Even if I didn't know the guy I'd be concerned if I left to the company to any business partner. Will they retaliate?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

He was dumb for letting anyone know where he was going before the dust settled.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Colossal dick move, but not illegal.

If I were the vendor I'd tell said director to go gently caress themselves with an ornamented flagpole.

And that's why I'll never work in sales.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Vulture Culture posted:

He was dumb for letting anyone know where he was going before the dust settled.

I'm guessing he was trying to reach for more money. The boss, hearing the request, probably asked where he was going and the employee foolishly thought his boss wouldn't have a meltdown at hearing the news.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Ugato posted:

I'm guessing he was trying to reach for more money. The boss, hearing the request, probably asked where he was going and the employee foolishly thought his boss wouldn't have a meltdown at hearing the news.

Exactly this.
I thought it was an OK practice to ask for a raise, get denied, then find a new job offer, and come back and ask for more a better salary at your current place before accepting another offer?

Apparently that's burned several people here.

Edit: Thinking about it, it's probably better to not even try to stick around if stuff like this is going on. If you can't trust your management at all, then, it's not a place you want to be long term.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 31, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Exactly this.
I thought it was an OK practice to ask for a raise, get denied, then find a new job offer, and come back and ask for more a better salary at your current place before accepting another offer?

Apparently that's burned several people here.
It's circumstantial, and you should always know the people you're dealing with. The CTO where I work now never entertains counteroffers, but is more than generous if you have some kind of life event or situation that necessitates different compensation to make you not worry about money. The IT director at my last job always wanted his people to have more money (non-profit), but couldn't justify it to company operations or HR without a counteroffer, so he never minded the proposition. But if you're somewhere for 20 years and your compensation isn't remotely in line with your peers, you aren't respected, and you shouldn't expect that to change just because someone else gave you a better offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
It's been covered here extensively in the past, but counteroffers are generally a bad idea. You can google counteroffer and find a million articles that express it better than I can. If you aren't getting what you want at your current company, and you've gone through all the normal avenues to reach for that change/raise/etc in vain, then grab your sack and make the leap. If the company only gives you a raise because they are going to lose you, what does that say?

There are certainly examples of situations where a counteroffer has worked out, but it's not the norm.