Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic

HighwireAct posted:

someone thought this was a good idea
jean valjean-san, uwu~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

HighwireAct posted:

she looks miserable, uguuuu

hi how are you ♥

Chelb

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

HighwireAct posted:

its probably more readable

i can not get through les mis, in english at least

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
found at the same bookstore

shinmai

CHK Instruction
no starch publishes good books, would read

3D Megadoodoo

Hugo is an abysmal writer.

Absurd Alhazred

by Athanatos

Jerry Cotton posted:

I remember enjoying him when I was a kid. Maybe the Finnish translation is garbage, like the older English translation of Lem? :shrug:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Chelb

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I remember enjoying him when I was a kid. Maybe the Finnish translation is garbage, like the older English translation of Lem? :shrug:

les mis is interminably boring in english too

edit: maybe some new translations have come out that are better though! wikipedia tells me penguin released one in 2013

Absurd Alhazred

by Athanatos

Rollofthedice posted:

les mis is interminably boring in english too

edit: maybe some new translations have come out that are better though! wikipedia tells me penguin released one in 2013

The one I read was in Hebrew.

----------------

NegroOnlyGloryHole

by Shine

Jerry Cotton posted:

the christmas time movie was good

----------------

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I only read book s in High Middle Swiss German :smug:

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

3D Megadoodoo

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Lem? I wasn't talking about Hugo Gernsback you know.

I Dunno

I liked Notre Dame of Paris. Though I still can't figure out why, out of all books, Disney chose that one to make a kid's movie out of. It's some dark poo poo. They had to change almost every aspect of the story so why not pick something else??

shinmai

CHK Instruction
I mean most Disney movies are based on pretty dark stuff (Anastacia, Mulan, Cinderella), and they just basically take the name, physical description and time period, slap on a happy ending and go to town

shinmai

CHK Instruction
Actually, Anastacia might be New Line not Disney, but the same method applies

3D Megadoodoo

I remember the story book my great-aunt used to read to me as a kid* was all "the eatress ate her so powerful john split the eatress in twain with a great sword and also killed all the little eatress children lol" and "welp you gotta sacrifice the HEART BLOOD of your best friend or satan will get you and your family what can you do vOv" and "five days she cried and on the sixth she died SUM RALIALA LEI SUM RALIALA LEI and on the sixth she died the end"

what i'm saying is children's stories in general just are grim(m)

*) when i was a kid, not her

Salmiakki

classic stories like reading about a poor girl freezing to death and experiencing the hallucinatory side effects of hypothermia

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I really miss German bread, which is dense, chewy, crusty, and cheap. It usually takes the form of rolls rather than sliced loaves, and you can buy it freshly baked at the country's many, many bakeries.

Dinner rolls you can buy in the States at places like Panera are no comparison.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 31, 2016

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

3D Megadoodoo

Salmiakki posted:

classic stories like reading about a poor girl freezing to death and experiencing the hallucinatory side effects of hypothermia

not so much a story as a roadmap for the current Finnish government

3D Megadoodoo

blaise rascal posted:

I really miss German bread, which is dense, chewy, crusty, and cheap. It usually takes the form of rolls rather than sliced loaves, and you can buy it freshly baked (usually from take-and-bake dough) at the country's many, many bakeries.

Renegret

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

blaise rascal posted:

I really miss German bread, which is dense, chewy, crusty, and cheap. It usually takes the form of rolls rather than sliced loaves, and you can buy it freshly baked at the country's many, many bakeries.

I grew up next to a kickass italian bakery, where I would go for all of my baked good needs.

I really miss it, it sucks having to go to a grocery store for that stuff now. It just doesn't compare.

3D Megadoodoo

Lidl has the best bread around here :negative:

3D Megadoodoo

I mean bakeries sure but they're closed when I get off work. And supermarkets but I don't have an automobile.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

Jerry Cotton posted:

Lidl has the best bread around here :negative:
What I would give for a Lidl. I'd even be satisfied with one of those Aldi bread vending machines.

According to a quick Google search, it appears that one of the challenges of recreating German bread in the States is that the flour here is different.

Oh well, at least I still have my sourdough.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Salmiakki

Jerry Cotton posted:

ty cat dynamite

shinmai

CHK Instruction

Jerry Cotton posted:

quoted for sad but truth

Absurd Alhazred

by Athanatos
What is it that attracts Finns to SA, and byob in particular?

----------------

3D Megadoodoo

Absurd Alhazred posted:

We only work 37.5 hours a week.

Absurd Alhazred

by Athanatos

Jerry Cotton posted:

We only work 37.5 hours a week.

:stare:

How... how do I migrate there?

----------------

3D Megadoodoo

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:stare:

How... how do I migrate there?

Too late, it's being ameriformed as we speak.

Absurd Alhazred

by Athanatos

Jerry Cotton posted:

Too late, it's being ameriformed as we speak.

:smith:

----------------

3D Megadoodoo

God I'm melting. It's 27 degrees and I'm wearing two shirts because I'm dumb.

shinmai

CHK Instruction
Yes, we all need to get accustomed to "a new kind of working" which means no job security, longer hours and fewer vacation days, but only for the lower and middle classes, the rich can obviously only improve their work output by getting paid more, while the opposite is true for the poors

shinmai

CHK Instruction

Jerry Cotton posted:

Like a hoodie and a t-shirt or a wifebeater and a tee? I do the wifebeater+tee combination on hot days so when the WB is completely soaked, I toss it in my backpack and can feel refreshed for 10 minutes until I start soaking the tee as well.

this is my hot day jam, because my wife earwormed we with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFMI9WIRqKM
Someone needs to subtitle this to English asap

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

i assumed the finns were here because being drunk and depressed is a venn diagram that has both finns and goons right at the centre

hi how are you ♥

shinmai

CHK Instruction

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i assumed the finns were here because being drunk and depressed is a venn diagram that has both finns and goons right at the centre

Basically yeah.

Also, being a Finn is p much devoting your life to being a massive ironical edgelord and basically shitposting in real life.

Like when our politicians do something we don't like, or something flat out corrupt or super wrong, instead of demanding they resign or some poo poo we make image macros on facebook and post sarcastic blog posts about it.

Like our financial minister recently said in an official capacity that 90% experts agreed with him on a thing. Turns out it's 10%, he was asked where he got that number and he said "oh yeah, off the top of my head lol. Sorry about that." Now instead of campaigning for him to resign, I purchased a fabric patch of a photo of him with the text "SORI SIITÄ" (sorry about that) and put it on my backpack.

shinmai fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 31, 2016

Salmiakki

Absurd Alhazred posted:

ive attracted them with my finnish pheromones [finomones]

ty cat dynamite

Salmiakki

Jerry Cotton posted:

rookie mistake, especially considerin the fact that you have the ability to go shirtless in public without outrage

ty cat dynamite

Absurd Alhazred

by Athanatos

Salmiakki posted:

rookie mistake, especially considerin the fact that you have the ability to go shirtless in public without outrage

I have seen men running shirtless in Albany, and find it very gauche. And yet it is I who get looks when I'm running in my shorts, because they have some kind of weird pattern. :shrug:

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shinmai

CHK Instruction

Salmiakki posted:

ive attracted them with my finnish pheromones [finomones]

your username alone brings all the pojat to the yard

aforementioned backpack (it'd dirty because gently caress school I just left it on the floor the day school ended, I am an adult):