Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

darkhand posted:

Butts

Robutts

But, can I touch-poop at high speed with a robutt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samizdata posted:

don't touch the poop

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Samizdata posted:

Trust your gut.. and your butt

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

darkhand posted:

Man if only the gutto-buttular system was trustworthy all the time, it would be a better world.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Your phone doesn't have physical buttons?
Only the three most common across phones: Power, Volume Up and Volume Down, I guess. Nothing suitable for breaking the texting speed records of the early noughties.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Wanamingo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oWk9gYSfME

slowbeef did a video riffing on that automated restaurant thing from a few pages ago

At 6:04 the tables have a roof over them, I think all their meals are gonna stack up on the roof and those people will starve to death because they believe in the infallibility of the machine :ohdear:

chitoryu12 posted:

I use my iPhone calculator when doing things like hand scoring exams, because I could subtract 15, 8, and 31 from 100 in my head....but I really don't want to spend the effort. It works just as well as any "real" calculator, and you can turn the phone sideways to expand it to a bunch of other functions. The only flaw is that there's a very slight delay between pressing a "button" and the calculator registering it, so if you're a fast typist you can try to add 4+3+5 and accidentally type 43+5.

pre:
File Edit Options Buffers Tools Calc Help                                                     
--- Emacs Calculator Mode ---                                |Emacs Calculator Trail          
1:  46                                                       |     100
    .                                                        |     15
                                                             |   + 39
                                                             |   + 54
                                                             |   ->46
                                                             |
                                                             |
                                                             |
                                                             |
-UUU:%*--F1  Calc: 12 Deg                  All L3     (Calcul|-UUU:%*--F1  *Calc Trail*   All 

It's retro!

quote:

This directory contains Calc, an advanced desk calculator for GNU
Emacs.

"Calc" Copyright (C) 1990-1993, 2001-2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Shugojin posted:

Yeah it's basically an issue that it works fine but you can't really touch-type on it like you can with something with physical buttons. Which when doing actual work is generally something you want!

I mean I'm sure there is someone out there who has practiced enough on their phone to be able to touch-type but show me that person and I'll show you a nutcase
I can touch type fairly well on a tablet where the keys are big enough, but nowhere near as well as on a physical keyboard obviously.

On the phone I just let SwiftKey do the majority of my typing.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

I can touch type fairly well on a tablet where the keys are big enough, but nowhere near as well as on a physical keyboard obviously.

On the phone I just let SwiftKey do the majority of my typing.

SwiftKey is amazing. (10" tablet)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

darkhand posted:

Am I the only one who who read this in Tina Belcher's voice?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

darkhand posted:

He's talking about touch screen and precise movements. I think everyone can agree touchscreens are good for certain applications using gestures, but definitely falls apart for pixel point accuracy, or even simulating actual tactical feedback. I think touchscreens in cars are possibly the dumbest thing, it removes being able to rely on muscle memory and keeping your eyes on the road. Because you can just feel around on actual buttons, like OK here's the volume so the next button is station 1. Same for TV remotes.

And again, this is your experience. The current generation will experience nothing but touch screens, and later ones will think you weird for insisting on buttons.

It's okay, I can't wrap my head around analog sticks for console games myself.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

ryonguy posted:

And again, this is your experience. The current generation will experience nothing but touch screens, and later ones will think you weird for insisting on buttons.

No, it isn't just his experience. I'm twenty one and my first phone with a touchscreen and on screen keyboard was six years ago and I despise the drat things.

In fact, the closest I've ever seen to someone preferring on screen buttons from either my generation or younger is for typing on a phone, because flagship phones have been keyless for many years at this point so that's what they're used to. Everyone I've seen on my college campus who has a tablet inevitably has a lovely bluetooth keyboard of some kind because typing on a touchscreen is rear end.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah we had a kid who used his Itunes as a calculator but we fired him.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

ryonguy posted:

He's right though. For the car, it makes the most sense to have something that relies on muscle memory. It's why despite having touchscreens for all the a/v functions, every single new car still has turn signal stalks. I don't know if design will ever go back to "obvious and differently shaped controls" for common radio/ac functions, but I hope the lesson is learned relatively soon. I worry it'll be more of a "bespoke" thing for rich people cars in the future, like wood trim is at this point despite having been relatively common decades ago.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Shlomo Palestein posted:

He's right though. For the car, it makes the most sense to have something that relies on muscle memory. It's why despite having touchscreens for all the a/v functions, every single new car still has turn signal stalks. I don't know if design will ever go back to "obvious and differently shaped controls" for common radio/ac functions, but I hope the lesson is learned relatively soon. I worry it'll be more of a "bespoke" thing for rich people cars in the future, like wood trim is at this point despite having been relatively common decades ago.

Nah, HVAC stuff will go back to "normal" controls and radio controls will migrate largely to steering-wheel buttons. I thought the same thing in the late-eighties about those loving terrible LED and vacuum -fluorescent display that were all the rage, and they went away after the "newness" wore off and everybody realized they sucked.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I had one of those electronic clusters in my old 88 Lebaron, and I have you know that it absolutely kicked rear end. :mad:

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Sentient Data posted:

I had one of those electronic clusters in my old 88 Lebaron, and I have you know that it absolutely kicked rear end. :mad:

My general impression of those displays (not sure about old Chryslers, but most worked this way for some stupid reason):

"How high is my engine revving?"
*looks to cluster*
"Four bars."

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, it wasn't as exact as a needle, but it at least had a decent resolution at 4 bars per thousand. Mine was an automatic so I didn't have to worry about being too precise, and it had the kind of engine where it was really easy to tell by feel/sound if anything was odd. One thing I miss is having an oil temperature gauge - I know it doesn't matter as much for non-turbo cars, I like to know how gentle I should be with the car until everything's fully warmed up in cold weather

A relatively crappy video, but it's the same kind of cluster that I had:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKbBnqWZAsw

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

I have no trouble at all believing that the most wonderful thing in an '88 LeBaron is the electronic instrumentation.

:D

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The major problem with graphing calculators becoming obsolete is I've yet to find a good mobile version of that drug dealer game.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

The major problem with graphing calculators becoming obsolete is I've yet to find a good mobile version of that drug dealer game.

How about installing a TI-83 emulator?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
80's digital car dashes were cool as hell. Not made to last, but still cool. Automatic climate control can go either way. It depends on the car manufacturer. I have a Subaru with the dual zone climate control. In the winter it's totally retarded and you have to set it to the highest temp and fan speed to make it blow hot air. When its hot I set it to 70° and it stays nice.

I've driven other brands of my cars where it was the exact opposite. I don't know how that hasn't been figured out yet. Not obsolete tech. Just not perfected.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

For a few years starting in 2006, we had a 1989 Lincoln Town Car that we called the Millennium Falcon. We got it for like $100 off a neighbor who wanted to get rid of it, because even though it looked nearly perfect it had a bad radiator and the rear window light was stuck on. On our first trip out of state with it, the radiator conked out within about 2 hours of leaving the house. We miraculously got it repaired and all the way from Orlando to Detroit and back with only one stop before heading back to Florida, but we couldn't afford the expense of maintaining it for much longer and I spent the rest of high school with a 2003 Saturn L-series sedan.

It had one of those digital dashes, and I thought it was the poo poo as a teenager. It also had fancy white faux-bench seats in the front that were individually adjustable through electric switches and a beautiful wood and white leather interior. It may have been our least reliable car we ever owned, but it was by far the most attractive.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

For a few years starting in 2006, we had a 1989 Lincoln Town Car that we called the Millennium Falcon. We got it for like $100 off a neighbor who wanted to get rid of it, because even though it looked nearly perfect it had a bad radiator and the rear window light was stuck on. On our first trip out of state with it, the radiator conked out within about 2 hours of leaving the house. We miraculously got it repaired and all the way from Orlando to Detroit and back with only one stop before heading back to Florida, but we couldn't afford the expense of maintaining it for much longer and I spent the rest of high school with a 2003 Saturn L-series sedan.

It had one of those digital dashes, and I thought it was the poo poo as a teenager. It also had fancy white faux-bench seats in the front that were individually adjustable through electric switches and a beautiful wood and white leather interior. It may have been our least reliable car we ever owned, but it was by far the most attractive.

By miraculously got it repaired do you mean you gave a mechanic a few hundred bucks and he put in a new radiator?

What were the other expenses? It's just a crown vic, you could probably replace every part except the engine and tranny for less than you paid for the Saturn. You'd probably fit either the engine or the transmission in that budget too, but not both.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pham Nuwen posted:

By miraculously got it repaired do you mean you gave a mechanic a few hundred bucks and he put in a new radiator?

What were the other expenses? It's just a crown vic, you could probably replace every part except the engine and tranny for less than you paid for the Saturn. You'd probably fit either the engine or the transmission in that budget too, but not both.

I was young so I don't remember exactly what it was, but we didn't get a new radiator. It got patched up and refilled and we kept it running well enough to make it to Detroit, then got a checkup while there to make sure it wouldn't blow on the way back home. This was all happening when I was entering high school, so I can assure you that I wasn't involved in the decision to purchase a car.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/msi-hp-zotac-backpack-vr-pc-details-specs-price-release-date/

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Yeah, it's hard to believe this form factor will last long. I'm surprised they think there's enough demand to make it worth targeting home users. Seems like a good fit for those pseudo-holodeck places that use open spaces and environmental effects to produce immersive VR experiences, but I don't believe that many people will splash out for a backpack computer just for VR. Even among people interested in VR, I think most will wait for the prices to drop, the hardware to fit into a comfortable headset, and the content selection to increase.

Edit: actually reading this article, yeah, they make pretty much the same point toward the end.

Toast Museum has a new favorite as of 14:13 on May 31, 2016

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I'm beginning to think Bluetooth headsets are becoming obsolete. It wasn't long ago that you would see lots of people walking around with them jammed in their ear whether they were talking or not. Now I never see them in public but I see more people than ever with the white corded earbud mic. I work around a lot of truckers and they all still use the Bluetooth earpieces, but giant industrial looking ones.

I'm guessing the hassle of making sure those things were charged and paired at all times might have led to their decline.
I would guess that you see the corded mic a lot more because Apple and Samsung include them with their phones.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

GWBBQ posted:

I would guess that you see the corded mic a lot more because Apple and Samsung include them with their phones.

I think you have a point with that. Obviously the ubiquity of the items makes them popular; however, the fact that they can be used as normal stereo headphones, and that they don't drain your phone's battery life like a Bluetooth headset would, definitely played a role as well.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I use a bluetooth headset for music listening because I hate having cables snagging everywhere on your clothes, and I barely notice any difference in battery life. Modern bluetooth is very easy on the battery.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Yeah I can't really tell any noticeable difference. I love my bluetooth headset, and the 4-5 hour battery life is more than enough for most things.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Toast Museum posted:

Seems like a good fit for those pseudo-holodeck places that use open spaces and environmental effects to produce immersive VR experiences, but I don't believe that many people will splash out for a backpack computer just for VR.

It seems odd to me that everyone is on board with walking-around vr. I'd be willing to bet that it will die of just as quickly as Gorilla Arm Minority Report interfaces - the real world use case seems to just scream a stationary seated user with an effectively 360° 3D monitor

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Having tried a VR setup I can see the appeal, but I hope they add an alternate way to move around the virtual space.

Currently some games work both ways and some don't, a standard hasn't emerged yet but hopefully will as developers get comfortable with the systems.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Sentient Data posted:

It seems odd to me that everyone is on board with walking-around vr. I'd be willing to bet that it will die of just as quickly as Gorilla Arm Minority Report interfaces - the real world use case seems to just scream a stationary seated user with an effectively 360° 3D monitor

Ultimately, I don't think there will be a ton of walking-around VR outside of the sort of contained, managed experiences I was talking about, and I can't see those being a huge market either—laser tag is the comparison that keeps coming to mind; even if you enjoy it, you're probably not doing it all that often.

For walk-around stuff, I think augmented reality has a lot more potential. Being able to see your actual surroundings seems like a pretty big usability advantage for most settings. If the technology gets good enough that you can inconspicuously wear it throughout the day, that opens up a ton of interesting applications. And a ton of interesting privacy questions, but one thing at a time.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, I agree that AR has some potential. The first kind of game that pops to mind is a virtual haunting/ghost hunting type of setup - that easily gets around the "no tactile interaction" issue. Ditto virtual pets - you could have a little dog or rabbit or dragon or fairy or whatever bounding around, and I'd imagine they can double as an assistant via the fake-AI systems like siri/alexa/watson/etc. HUDs can be neat; they could be the kind that show general information like names and whatnot based on other users' systems, and they could also do things like show exploded diagrams for mechanics working on things. Though of course, you also need to look out for things like virtual billboards in the sky or advertising wars where one company tries to cover up another company's physical ad space

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Speaking of AR, here's some obsolete AR tech from 1999 up to 2006.
http://www.tinmith.net/backpack.htm
http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/projects/arquake/

2006 videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNYfkxqiB6g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDYv_uLmkEU (This one is loving loud, careful)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb5rACCUC1g

I wonder what ever happened to the guys working on that and what they think now.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is that pic from 2006, they're dressed like it's the nineties

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

computer_science_students.gif

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Croccers posted:

Speaking of AR, here's some obsolete AR tech from 1999 up to 2006.

Reminds me of this guy

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm looking forward to good AR headsets because of the potential for technical applications. Projecting schematics and datasheets into your view, showing where to put parts or what to do next, and such could be pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Phlegmish posted:

Heh, fashion is for nerds!