Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Carrasco posted:

Yeah, he's basically acted directly against their interests twice already. First time was an accident, second time was a bluff, who knows what'll happen the third time.

That implanted Suggestion going off, probably.

Was that spell a Suggestion or a Dominate Monster? If it's the latter, you get a saving throw if you're compelled to do something against your nature. Assuming Redcloak betraying Xykon is good for the good guys, the MITD will be compelled to eat him at the worst possible moment for the world's survival. If the MITD's nature forces a new saving throw and prevents him from doing something evil like that, wouldn't that be a huge dramatic moment for him? Especially if his mentor O-Chul is there to see it, which, O-Chul is right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Was that spell a Suggestion or a Dominate Monster? If it's the latter, you get a saving throw if you're compelled to do something against your nature. Assuming Redcloak betraying Xykon is good for the good guys, the MITD will be compelled to eat him at the worst possible moment for the world's survival. If the MITD's nature forces a new saving throw and prevents him from doing something evil like that, wouldn't that be a huge dramatic moment for him? Especially if his mentor O-Chul is there to see it, which, O-Chul is right there.

It was one of the rare moments where they don't explicitly call out the spell as it's cast, but it's almost certainly Suggestion, since Dominate Monster would imply he's been under Xykon's direct telepathic control this entire time, which is extremely unlikely. Although I'm not sure Suggestion lets you make a long term post-hypnotic kind of trigger either, so it might just be dramatic license. Or some spell Xykon specifically created to make people betray their allies when they're last expecting it, because it would be funny. Which I wouldn't put past him.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Xykon's Moderately Escapeable Forcecage

Xykon's Comedically Timed Suggestion

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Rygar201 posted:

That Warg has the highest wisdom out of the entire cast.

That's kinda concerning, given Wargs/Worgs are Wis 14 base.

Hmm. Worg cleric. Ever happened?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bloodly posted:

That's kinda concerning, given Wargs/Worgs are Wis 14 base.

Hmm. Worg cleric. Ever happened?

Maybe? http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2lkn2?Worg-Charecter-advise-please

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
So, MitD is much smaller than usual for its species because its young, and "majestic" looking. Does this hint help identify it?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Carrasco posted:

It was one of the rare moments where they don't explicitly call out the spell as it's cast, but it's almost certainly Suggestion, since Dominate Monster would imply he's been under Xykon's direct telepathic control this entire time, which is extremely unlikely. Although I'm not sure Suggestion lets you make a long term post-hypnotic kind of trigger either, so it might just be dramatic license. Or some spell Xykon specifically created to make people betray their allies when they're last expecting it, because it would be funny. Which I wouldn't put past him.

Also, Dominate Monster wasn't one of Xykon's level 9 spells as seen in http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0670.html

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

Xykon's Moderately Escapeable Forcecage

Xykon's Comedically Timed Suggestion

Chekhov's Conspicuously Placed Loaded Firearm

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Was the Suggestion bit ever in the actual comic or in a side-story?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Taerkar posted:

It's not in the main comic as far as I know

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

Taerkar posted:

I'm pretty sure it's in Start of Darkness.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Still say MitD is a young http://www.lomion.de/cmm/nigmarbe.php .

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I still love that a single githyanki spelljammer accidentally found a way to the Dark Sun world and just went :yikes: and left

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I can't decide if I even want to know what the Monster In The Darkness is. That gag's been going on for so long now that the payoff can't possibly be worth it, at best it'll send us to the Monster Manual to go "Oh, right, he's one of X, I guess that makes sense." A shadow under an umbrella is how we've known him, would it be a problem if he just saw out the rest of the comic like that?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

EXCUSE YOU, scrub, but the Nightmare Beast has red eyes, and the MITD has yellow ones. *snort* I hardly think anyone, even Rich, would dare to take that kind of artistic license, they'd be decried as a hack immediately. If you would care to take a loo at my carefully groomed excel sheet cross-referencing every strip and comment made by Mr. Burlew along with every splatbook made on a high fantasy setting's creatures you'll see that the Nightmare beast is one of six thousand eighty one creatures the MITD clearly isn't. :awesome:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to my GITP thread to mock people for miscalculating average damage probability in strip # 613...

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

How does it hold the umbrella? Also, it's Dark Sun. Is that something Rich can freely use like the rest of the standard 3rd edition stuff?

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
MitD seems like it's gained a couple of points in INT.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

O-chul has the cloak. Lien is protected by her ring of water breathing.

But she gave him the ring!

MikeJF posted:

I feel like that's the kind of thing a lot of DMs would tell you to gently caress off on.

That's the sort of thing a DM would say "Okay wise guy, now point out the rule on how you STOP drowning". There isn't one..

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 22, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
You guys are otherthinking it. Contingency: Dominate Monster

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

in a jokulhaup.

I think you made that word up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shaking lemur butt posted:

MitD seems like it's gained a couple of points in INT.

I feel like it always had plenty of INT, but it's been steadily moving up from a total lack of WIS.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I think its pretty dumb, actually, which is why it continually relies on whoever else is around for instructions and moral judgment calls. It's gotta be getting wiser, though, because its doing that less and less.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It was a child. It's growing up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It could tell the ritual was half a ritual at a glance. It was obliterating O'chul at Go. It's intelligent, just unwise.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

MikeJF posted:

It could tell the ritual was half a ritual at a glance. It was obliterating O'chul at Go. It's intelligent, just unwise.

I think people have pointed out that that could also mean it's psychic.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it's a frumious bandersnatch. there's no doubt

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

DolphinCop posted:

it's a frumious bandersnatch. there's no doubt

I don't think Rich uses anything from Pathfinder in the comic.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary3/bandersnatch.html

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Shugojin posted:

I still love that a single githyanki spelljammer accidentally found a way to the Dark Sun world and just went :yikes: and left

Where's this mentioned?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Anatharon posted:

I think you made that word up.

That would make him both very old and Icelandic. Not that there's anything wrong with either.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B6kulhlaup

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Where's this mentioned?

I think I read it in this thread somewhere but hell if I can find the story it's from so it might be wrong.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Who What Now posted:

Where's this mentioned?

It comes up in the Planeswalkers' Handbook, where it mentions that "portals leading [to Athas] are extremely rare, and spells that allow interplanar travel fail more than half the time. Recently, the githyanki attempted to reopen one of the few permanent portals to this world from the Astral, but their efforts were thwarted by the natives". I'm sure there's a more detailed description out there somewhere--in particular I'm pretty sure Spelljammer mentions that it's impossible to travel there by space as well, because its crystal sphere has no openings and is opaque--but it definitely is canon.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Arhas really loving sucks, doesn't it?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"Nod, get treat." is the funniest thing I've read in this strip in a long time.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Rich really is okay!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Can we drop the main plot and just follow these guys around for a few hundred comics?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Greyview is my new favorite character. :3:

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Quick, Look up every special attack of every monster! You heard the roach!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, same.

BigSlacks
Aug 21, 2003

W.T. Fits posted:

I cannot believe I only now just realized that his name is also his outlook on life. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

"Grim spectre of noogie hangs like a shroud over us all." :allears:

Also, Redcloak getting a head rub is :3: