Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Entropic posted:

Not that it matters, I mean what are they gonna do, install Linux?

*watches his Linux box get upgraded to Windows 10*

"NNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Can you imagine if 70's virtual reality had actually taken off as the way IT was done?

We'd all go into work, strap into a gyroscope and start checking our email. Just imagine an office building with an entire floor of people wearing headsets and virtual glove thingies, whirling around through cyberspace.

ok

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/hzxslb/upright-citizens-brigade-cyberflex

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:psylon:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

While people are in their little VR bubble, Zuckerberg walks around looting everyone's bags.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kurieg posted:

Do they just stare at you and mouth confusion when you talk about Air Gaps?

What's the point?

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

BOOTY-ADE posted:

There’s no earthly way of knowing
Where those patch cables are going
There’s no knowing where they're flowing
And the tangles keep on growing
Is it blinking? Is it glowing?
Is a network error showing?
The lag is still ongoing
So the danger must be growing....

Yay Pendulum

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

loving help desk sends me a critical ticket for a duplicated order issue.

This is an issue so trivial that we have a check built in to our ordering software that catches these and makes sure that only one order gets sent on. The only problem is that it spits out a "Please contact support so we can troubleshoot your order" message when it happens, even though there's usually nothing to troubleshoot since no problem actually occurred and it probably won't happen again. I just have to assure the end user that they're okay and that nothing's broken.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
A ticket came in:

"Please update the link for the quarterly newsletter on <hilariously lovely front-page extension intranet site>"

"Where is it located?"

"I have no idea, try the marketing person?"

Haha gently caress you no, you go find the information and add it back to the ticket, it's a 2 minute change if you gave me the right information in the first place, jackass.

Apparently my entirely professional response saying as much upset him, our other admin on site let me know that the user wanted my supervisor's email. Fire away, I know I'm in the right and my boss will back me.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in:

A customer is installing PoE lighting in one of their facilities. Wants to know if their current switches can provide enough power.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Seems like a reasonable question if the switches support the lighting fixtures...?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A clients Xsan environment went failover happy over the weekend and when I look at the logs I find out that the metadata network went up and down for 10 minutes. That'll piss it right off.

Coincidentally an internal security server started a bunch of SSH, Open Directory, VNC and possibly XSAN brute force attacks right before the metadata network started freaking out. It didn't just run a vulnerability scan, it actually attempted to access the system. I'm pretty sure it also crashed the local open directory service a bunch of times. I don't know if it actually caused the crashing but it's a kooky coincidence.

Time to ask the internal IT department if they were doing anything over the weekend! I'm sure they'll deny doing anything. I understand that vulnerability scanners are an important aspect of security but I would at least like to know if they're hitting servers I'm responsible for so I don't wonder why there are lines upon lines of failed ssh attempts from an unknown source.

Also I thought they were supposed to check for a vulnerability, not actively attempt to force their way into the system. But I'm not a security admin so :unsmith:

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 31, 2016

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

n0tqu1tesane posted:

A ticket came in:

A customer is installing PoE lighting in one of their facilities. Wants to know if their current switches can provide enough power.

That's not a weird thing at all? Lighting fixtures with PoE are a thing. Phillips?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

larchesdanrew posted:

:v: "Hey, larch, you still loving working over at the school?"
:smug: "Yeah, it's awesome."
:v: "Well... gently caress."

There's more but I'm tired of typing. More tomorrow possibly about how CE's cousin broke into the station and showed everyone his dick.

Any update on this? Apologies if my NetWonka rhyme impeded progress :shobon:

CasualTR
Apr 22, 2016

My Hunk of Silicon is better than your Hunk of Silicon

Collateral Damage posted:

While people are in their little VR bubble, Zuckerberg walks around looting everyone's bags.

That cheeky smile always gets to me.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

CasualTR posted:

That cheeky smile always gets to me.

I love the guy with an apple laptop frowning real hard.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Entropic posted:

I've spent my entire morning so far helping various clients roll back their systems to windows 7 after the Windows 10 auto-upgrade they didn't realize they were scheduling happened and broke a bunch of stuff that wasn't Win10 compatible.

MS is pissing a looot of people with this sneaky upgrade scheduling nonsense.

No doubt, I want to choke the motherfucker who thought it was a good idea to not only pester people constantly, but start pushing out these unattended upgrades or purposely changing the verbiage for the upgrade. I spent 2 days last week reimaging 17 computers for a client who had the upgrade happen overnight when automatic patching started. Find me the idiot that thought any of this was a good idea so I can strap them rear end-up to a bench in a dark, soundproof room and torture them with a giant dildo covered in salty broken glass.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
We have clients that we set up with computers with funding from the Ontario Assistive Devices Program to use software like ZoomText because they have limited vision can't use a computer without huge magnification and text-smoothing on a big monitor.

Having the whole OS unexpectly changed on you is bad enough when you can actually see it clearly. Imagine having that sprung on you when you're half-blind. Oh also P.S. sometimes the Windows 10 upgrade stops Zoomtext or JAWS from working entirely. :toot:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Entropic posted:

We have clients that we set up with computers with funding from the Ontario Assistive Devices Program to use software like ZoomText because they have limited vision can't use a computer without huge magnification and text-smoothing on a big monitor.

Having the whole OS unexpectly changed on you is bad enough when you can actually see it clearly. Imagine having that sprung on you when you're half-blind. Oh also P.S. sometimes the Windows 10 upgrade stops Zoomtext or JAWS from working entirely. :toot:

I don't expect every company to test against Zoomtext and/or JAWS, but I certainly expect Microsoft to. That's a god damned travesty.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Kaizoku posted:

I don't expect every company to test against Zoomtext and/or JAWS, but I certainly expect Microsoft to. That's a god damned travesty.

But Microsoft is committed to aiding the disabled. Only the disabled will still be able to upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 after the 1 year grace period. How will they tell you are disabled? Well in their opinion anyone that hasn't updated for free qualifies for a mental disability!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kaizoku posted:

Even if it didn't actually break anything, users who have any kind of assistive software or ease-of-access stuff are the last people you want to be changing things drastically on without their permission.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Entropic posted:

Even if it didn't actually break anything, users who have any kind of assistive software or ease-of-access stuff are the last people you want to be changing things drastically on without their permission.

Historically, they're the last people any dev team cares about. Then again, it's a poo poo rolls downhill situation, so where the buck stops can certainly be escalated. The end-user demand is there, and the people developing specific assistive software suites seem to care, but anyone else seems to give a gently caress. Except, surprisingly, on mobile phones. There was a great video on youtube from a conference with an affable sight-impaired man using JAWS to navigate a pdf with a sighted-woman co-presenter that I used to reference, but the copy I'd favorited at least has disappeared. It's amazing though how even PDFs, which are to make more accessible documents, can be an absolute slog if the author doesn't properly tag the document. It's a real pain in the rear end to do for a lot of people as well, just look at these PDF tagging best practices and anyone can get a fairly good idea how actually navigating the page is a nightmare.

Think about being forced to use regex for all page navigation, now do it by voice.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Entropic posted:

gently caress disability software. I'm stuck being the personal support for one of our users because she's nearly blind and desktop support couldn't get ZoomText to work for more than a week without crashing every hour. Once the government gets involved with enforcing the ADA people lose their heads, and suddenly we're responsible for making some of the worst software work with terrible clinical applications and now I wish death upon AI Squared.

I ended up switching her to MAGIc since she uses JAWS at home and now I just have to field the occasional call about our clinical app being terrible again. At least she's a nice lady.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

A .tmp files on the desktop came in from a user that keeps 1 excel file on the desktop. At first I thought maybe it was crypto, but nothing else seems odd. User claims Excel said something about compatibility and she said no and the file disappeared and turned into a .tmp. Using previous versions on the desktop I was able to recover the file. I told the user to use the U (%user%) drive, and I would have a backup, and that they were lucky. They are one of the few that does use the drive. They want the file on the desktop and are okay with losing it, it does calculations and they claim they could make it again in an hour. Okay if you don't change it make a backup of the drat thing.

I'm still keeping any eye on that computer for crypto, something in the story seems funny. Could just be a case of never saving beyond auto-save though.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

pixaal posted:

A .tmp files on the desktop came in from a user that keeps 1 excel file on the desktop. At first I thought maybe it was crypto, but nothing else seems odd. User claims Excel said something about compatibility and she said no and the file disappeared and turned into a .tmp. Using previous versions on the desktop I was able to recover the file. I told the user to use the U (%user%) drive, and I would have a backup, and that they were lucky. They are one of the few that does use the drive. They want the file on the desktop and are okay with losing it, it does calculations and they claim they could make it again in an hour. Okay if you don't change it make a backup of the drat thing.

I'm still keeping any eye on that computer for crypto, something in the story seems funny. Could just be a case of never saving beyond auto-save though.

Excel can do some really odd stuff when you have an xls file that halfway-kersplodes on you. In this case it's most likely the autosave version left over after a crash and the user being dumb and clicking 'no, do not want' to the recovery prompt.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I saw it before with antivirus on access scanning and excel both accessing the file and somehow it winds up being nuked.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
They updated the login page of the time clock/message board/doc sharing website we use at work.

quote:

Network Status:
Outbound Link- OK
Time Clock Server- OK
Mail Server- OK

Oh, well that's neat. That's actually pretty handy. <scrolls down just a little>

quote:

The status will not be updated at night or on weekends.

Oh, okay. :smith:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

pixaal posted:

They want the file on the desktop and are okay with losing it, it does calculations and they claim they could make it again in an hour.
Put the file on the shared drive, give them a shortcut on the desktop.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

So I have a weird/dumb question that doesn't really seem to fit anywhere but I'm pretty sure someone will be able to answer.

We run windows server 2012r2 quite a bit. Some instances will let us shut down/reboot from the Win+X menu (does this have a name?) and others won't. Is this a setting somewhere? A registry entry? It seems to be that any new servers we create don't have the power options anymore, so it appears to be a difference in the image we're using. It's weird.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
My turn to gently caress up!

I work at a radio station. At least two (and likely more) users have had issues with their Exchange calendar sync just stopping on their mobile devices. No changes propagate to or from the phone. We've tried all we can locally, but the only temporary fix is just to redo their accounts on the phone. Removing any issues found by Calcheck doesn't help, and alternate calendaring clients on the phones are kind of a non-starter, doubly so since they're the only confirmed people with the issue and no other mobile device users have the problem as far as we know, despite people probably just not reporting it (yay, lousy organizational culture from the other station we acquired long before I came on board). It spans makes/models: Sales Dude has had it on a Galaxy S6 and S7, Radio Dude has it on an iPhone 6.

So we exhaust all resources, main corporate IT (we're a satellite location, albeit large enough for me to be the senior sysadmin) has nothing else they can think of. We throw $500 at Microsoft. The Microsoft call happens yesterday.

Microsoft dude wants me to create a new Exchange mailbox DB and move their accounts there, then move them back after a day or so. He thinks that the mailbox may have some corruption that isn't enough to throw a major error, but to impede calendaring. I bounce the idea off a sysadmin at corporate just for a sanity check, he thinks it has merit.

I created the mailbox yesterday and moved the users last night without incident.

I should note that the single biggest event of the year is coming up this weekend and the two users in question are arguably the most critical to have in good working order during the run-up to this event.

Guess which two users didn't have mail coming in from outside the organization from the move timeframe until just this AM when one of them emailed with an issue? Internal mail flow seemed OK, but externally? Bounced.

The bounce message: username@addomain.kek doesn't exist. It should be username@email.com.

I get into Exchange. Their primary SMTP was changed to the AD object name (the addomain.kek account). Changing it back worked.

Here's hoping I didn't lose something like 13 hours worth of inbound mail flow to these guys. :smith:

The good news is the organization explicitly forbids coming down on people who make mistakes, as long as they can be fixed, learned from, and not repeated, and everyone's really easygoing, but yeah, now we know.

Previous orgs I've been in had multiple mailbox DBs and a single policy between them, everywhere else in this company has one mailbox and one personal archive DB per location. Lesson learned, I suppose.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
FUUUUUUCK

Some disgruntled parent sent this long, accusatory manifesto out yesterday about how the school personally targeted and bullied her precious child by forcing him to take a make-up test. They wrote over 11,000 words on this topic. It was astounding.

Anyways, there's no telling where all this email got sent because everyone got bcc'd.

Everyone except me.

My email was the one that got emailed normally and everyone else got bcc'd.

Now I'm getting hounded by parents and administration over this.

God drat it.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Sounds like a perfect time to 'hey buddy' the tv station.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

FUUUUUUCK

Some disgruntled parent sent this long, accusatory manifesto out yesterday about how the school personally targeted and bullied her precious child by forcing him to take a make-up test. They wrote over 11,000 words on this topic. It was astounding.

Anyways, there's no telling where all this email got sent because everyone got bcc'd.

Everyone except me.

God drat it.

:lol:

How in the actual gently caress???
sounds like you need to set up a "mailer-daemon message undeliverable" message as your out of office reply.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

No doubt, I want to choke the motherfucker who thought it was a good idea to not only pester people constantly, but start pushing out these unattended upgrades or purposely changing the verbiage for the upgrade. I spent 2 days last week reimaging 17 computers for a client who had the upgrade happen overnight when automatic patching started. Find me the idiot that thought any of this was a good idea so I can strap them rear end-up to a bench in a dark, soundproof room and torture them with a giant dildo covered in salty broken glass.

Do you not proactively manage and test patches? Seems like the only way this can happen is if you point your computers at Windows update and tell them to go nuts.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

FUUUUUUCK

Everyone except me.

God drat it.

Hounded because of the make-up test or hounded because "WHY I ON THIS EMAL"

Edit:
Bedlam DL3

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Do you not proactively manage and test patches? Seems like the only way this can happen is if you point your computers at Windows update and tell them to go nuts.

Or if you are a smaller business running Win 7 Pro instead of enterprise. You can have a GPO that blocks the actual upgrade but users will still see the reminder and I think if they have local admin rights they can still install it.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 2, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

FUUUUUUCK

Everyone except me.

God drat it.

You should be able to search whatever you are using for mail for received with subject in the last 30 days and pull a list of local users if the main complaint is just that the rant happened and the Superintendent just wants to know who got the email. Best way to explain it is "I can see what staff got it to their school emails but they sent it using an outside email, so I can't give tell you what parents got the email". If they insist on some TV drama, write it off as possible but it would involve breaking into the parents email and breaking several laws. You also are not a hacker and would have no idea where to even start doing that if you wanted to.

People never realize what they are asking half the time. "It touched our system! We have to know everything!". It's not even their fault TV tells them its possible.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's like real letters. If 25 of them got sent to parents, and 25 got sent to different teachers at the school, you'll be able to talk to Mary in the mail room and find out who all got one.

If you want to know more, it involves a daring heist to steal records from the Post Office.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

FUUUUUUCK

Everyone except me.

God drat it.

do you not have a mail appliance that logs? I can answer a question like that with our district's Barracuda in a matter of minutes (searching message logs is easy as pie, but slow as poo poo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

larchesdanrew posted:

FUUUUUUCK

Everyone except me.

God drat it.

:wtc:

• Locked thread