Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo

Salmiakki posted:

rookie mistake, especially considerin the fact that you have the ability to go shirtless in public without outrage

Legally, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

420 bike shirtless to work ery day

City of Glompton

I'm 1% finnish, glad to know it's where the posting gene came from

3D Megadoodoo

shinmai posted:

Like a hoodie and a t-shirt or a wifebeater and a tee? I do the wifebeater+tee combination on hot days so when the WB is completely soaked, I toss it in my backpack and can feel refreshed for 10 minutes until I start soaking the tee as well.

this is my hot day jam, because my wife earwormed we with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFMI9WIRqKM
Someone needs to subtitle this to English asap

Jesus Christ no hoodie. An undershirt and regular cotton shirt.

Also just got some eye drops for shiteye and also some Apteekkarin salmiakki. Yum yum.

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom

Matoi Ryuko posted:

That's cool, can you make them play music like in those videos with the whirring hard drives?

This works even better with floppy drives, Ill have to buy a batch and demonstrate.

Piso Mojado

Salmiakki posted:

ive attracted them with my finnish pheromones [finomones]

Piso Mojado

alnilam posted:

420 bike shirtless to work ery day

:byob1::hf::byob1:

Piso Mojado

jesus that was close. do NOT get the 'hf' and 'fh' smilies mixed up.

alnilam

or... do ;)

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom
:fh:

Renegret

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Piso Mojado posted:

jesus that was close. do NOT get the 'hf' and 'fh' smilies mixed up.

:byob1::fh::byob1:

Elusif

Byob i did a bad thing, i helped cause the transition towards gbs becoming a police state. What should i do?

symbolic

you Finns have some kickass melodic death metal bands, so i salute you

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Byob i did a bad thing, i helped cause the transition towards gbs becoming a police state. What should i do?
just because GBS actually has rules now doesn't mean it's a police state

3D Megadoodoo

have a snickers?

Scathach

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Grab some popcorn and sit and watch.

Anyone ever done interviews before? I get to conduct like five tomorrow and I'm hoping at least one person doesn't suck.

alnilam

Like job interviews or informational ones

FluffieDuckie

you can hide out here but don't go all causing problems or i'll have to billy club you :cop:

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Piso Mojado

delete it

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

i've been hiding out here for months

hi how are you ♥

Piso Mojado

e equals mc hammer , how did you help create the police state?

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Scathach posted:

Grab some popcorn and sit and watch.

Anyone ever done interviews before? I get to conduct like five tomorrow and I'm hoping at least one person doesn't suck.

If it's a job interview the first thing you want to do is write a checklist of the minimum qualifications the interviewee must have. If the interviewee has all the requirements, then they get to go in the 'yes' pile, if not you can discard them as a choice, unless all the candidates miss the checklist items and you then need to go back and regroup.

Take notes while the interview is going on, so you don't mix up any facts from one person to the other, and while the info is fresh i your mind.

Ask tough questions, this may be a future co worker, be sure you want to work with them.

There are questions that it is illegal for you to ask, here's a website that offers some guidance on illegal/inappropriate interviewing questions:

http://www.gsworkplace.lbl.gov/DocumentArchive/BrownBagLunches/IllegalorInappropriateInterviewQuestions.pdf

You can also contact your Department of Labor for anything specific to your state. Age, national origin, color, birthplace, marital status and religious preference are all pretty much universally off limits but there are others.

Good luck!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i've been hiding out here for months

you built a summer cottage here and now you're winterizing it and turning it into a nice house for year round living

eonwe

saint isaias you did the sword of the bastard elf cyoa right?

congrats on making the best gbs topic in the history of gbs

FluffieDuckie

hey so this came up and i'm not sure i actually told you guys or just thought about telling you, but i'm intentionally staggering ik rotations with some vague idea about burn out rates or more stability or somesuch that sounded good in my head when i made the decision

eonwe

thats a good idea, it will promote stability and prevent burn out rates, or somesuch

alnilam

I think it's a good way to promote stability and prevent burn out rates, or somesuch

alnilam

It's about damb time someone paid attention to the issue of somesuch

FluffieDuckie

i love you guys

Piso Mojado

Splatmaster posted:

If it's a job interview the first thing you want to do is write a checklist of the minimum qualifications the interviewee must have. If the interviewee has all the requirements, then they get to go in the 'yes' pile, if not you can discard them as a choice, unless all the candidates miss the checklist items and you then need to go back and regroup.

Take notes while the interview is going on, so you don't mix up any facts from one person to the other, and while the info is fresh i your mind.

Ask tough questions, this may be a future co worker, be sure you want to work with them.

There are questions that it is illegal for you to ask, here's a website that offers some guidance on illegal/inappropriate interviewing questions:

http://www.gsworkplace.lbl.gov/DocumentArchive/BrownBagLunches/IllegalorInappropriateInterviewQuestions.pdf

You can also contact your Department of Labor for anything specific to your state. Age, national origin, color, birthplace, marital status and religious preference are all pretty much universally off limits but there are others.

Good luck!

this is good advice.

I interview a lot. is this for skilled (read: technical, prior education/work exp) or is it for unskilled labor?

when I interview the first thing I do is read their resume thoroughly. obviously weigh it against the qualifications, but also look for typos, innacuracies, etc. if it's sloppy and it looks like they didn't give a poo poo when they wrote it, they probably won't give a poo poo about the job. after that I do the following:

1. start off with some behavioral interviewing questions. there is no shortage of examples of these (and how to grade them) on the internet, but if you pm me I'll shoot you my company's. If you have never used them, they might sound like corporate bs, but they work unbelievably well for any position level. generally, the less specialized the role, the more behavioral interviewing I will do. People are really bad with these and will be very uncomfotable. most candidates are prepared to talk about things on their resume, very very few handle these with ease. so expect nervousness, give them ample time to think and respond. WRITE THEIR ANSWERS DOWN so you can review later. People will be caught off guard but when that happens, they fall back on honesty and will give waaaay more candid responses to subsequent technical questions. just remember not to judge nervousness a lot, cause even when ppl know the questions ahead of time (interviewee tip: most companies publish these on their hiring page) they will still be very on edge. it's almost cruel. almost.

2. when getting to the technical part, ask questions about job duties that you know (from their resume) that they do not necessarily have experience with. for instance, if it's a dishwasher who has never cooked, explain how from time to time they need hands prepping food and if they could do that. look for people who are enthusiastic about it, especially if they are candid and say things like "I don't have experience in that area, but I'm confident I can learn." people who know their experience, but are eager to advance in their career and learn are incredible assets to any team.

3. leave time for questions and actively encourage it. if interviews are at the place of business, offer them a tour and see what they have to say as you walk through. :)

the biggest thing is for you not to be nervous. try to have another person with you, if possible. that helps.

good luck!

Renegret

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

FluffieDuckie posted:

i love you guys

Woah

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm not ready for this level of commitment yet

Piso Mojado

oh yeah, I almost forgot - ask why people left their last position! answers will vary, but once in a while you'll get an answer like 'Because Deborah was a bitch' - well not really, but answers that are kind of like that. obvious red flags.

Elusif

FluffieDuckie posted:

you can hide out here but don't go all causing problems or i'll have to billy club you :cop:

i got banned for self-fulfilling prophecy when i in fact did a puppetmaster

talk about rude

Renegret

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Piso Mojado posted:

oh yeah, I almost forgot - ask why people left their last position! answers will vary, but once in a while you'll get an answer like 'Because Deborah was a bitch' - well not really, but answers that are kind of like that. obvious red flags.

on the other hand

If the reason I'm leaving is because Deborah is a bitch, what's the best way to say that.

"not a fit for the company culture" sounds kinda generic

Renegret

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
for the record the reason I'm leaving is because we were sold

I think that's a good enough answer

Elusif

correction, i just lost 15 dollars because of that fyad thread that got moved to gbs then back to fyad

why is that allowed?

FluffieDuckie

there is zero chance i'm going to comment on that

3D Megadoodoo

correction, i just lost 15 dollars because of that fyad thread that got moved to gbs then back to fyad

why is that allowed?

reasons

Elusif

FluffieDuckie posted:

there is zero chance i'm going to comment on that

can you take my mind off the loss of 2 days worth of lunch?

3D Megadoodoo

Why is there no easy way to apply eye drops in the year two thousand sixteen? Jerry is getting angry! (At wasting one ampule by squirting the whole load on his eyebrow.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluffieDuckie

can you take my mind off the loss of 2 days worth of lunch?

here's one of my favorite duck pictures