Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering if I should chase after goshawk II 4 in 1936 (by landing right behind it, firing everything, and kicking it), or head up the hill some more and snipe at things with my cLPL (because of the lucerne having ACE).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Ouch. Although it didn't actually affect my combat capability.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Hey PTN, I'm pretty sure in my orders I specified firing only the er large and medium pulse laser since I didn't want the hit to my move mod from overheat. Am I mistaken?

edit: Just checked and yeah, that is what I said.

poo poo, I'll double-check and fix it when I get home. If I hosed it up, you'll still have shot both lasers but one of them was heat-free so you won't be overheating.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.

AtomikKrab posted:

So that peregrine was mint, until it looked at the atlas funny and then it suddenly no longer had a torso connecting any of the other bits.

Much like a mint Goshawk II was dandy until a laser followed a dead center UAC/20 shot to nuke its innards. Maybe not as impressive as a single shot, but Gooncompany has gone two straight rounds of taking down pristine mechs with just one mech's efforts. (Also, I'm still proud of that dice-cooperation moment.)

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I feel like Jason needs perpetual smoke rounds on him too now, if he's not going to withdraw. 2 structure left on the head means basically anything can kill him.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

vorebane posted:

I feel like Jason needs perpetual smoke rounds on him too now, if he's not going to withdraw. 2 structure left on the head means basically anything can kill him.

Reminder that the Salamander only has 3 smoke rounds remaining.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

vorebane posted:

That guy should never be closer than 14 hexes to anyone ever again.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

vorebane posted:

They're incendiaries, so that would probably be a bad idea.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Screw it, Jason'll never get a rep as a cool ace mechwarrior if he doesn't keep mixing it up while in extreme danger. Just max out his move mod and carry on fighting! That Wolverine's taunting you by refusing to go down!

Is there a chance the Clanners will ignore the Stag so long as the pilot's knocked out? Because of honor/glory-seeking and more pressing, alive targets? Because he's a little out-there if you guys were to try and defend his downed mech, and as-is this is a good time for continuing to run away.

Speaking of running away, what is the Gunsmith doing exactly? I thought they were going to go after that Goshawk but they're really running off on their own up there. If they're planning to come around behind the heavy star that seems incredibly risky, especially as long as that ace Lucerne is following behind and can choose to stop, turn and vaporize them at any point.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PoptartsNinja posted:

poo poo, I'll double-check and fix it when I get home. If I hosed it up, you'll still have shot both lasers but one of them was heat-free so you won't be overheating.

not wanting to be that guy, but my orders were

quote:

REVISED MOVEMENT ORDER: jump to 0935, twist to face 0834

REVISED FIRE ORDER: fire all at mech in 0933

CONTINGENCY: fire all at mech in 0433

The Grasshopper is heat neutral with all its forward guns, so I meant the XLPL and the 4x ML. I'll be clearer next time, and specify the actual mech rather than the hex.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

sebmojo posted:

not wanting to be that guy, but my orders were

The Grasshopper is heat neutral with all its forward guns, so I meant the XLPL and the 4x ML. I'll be clearer next time, and specify the actual mech rather than the hex.

Grasshopper
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0834!
- Fires Large X-Pulse Laser at Wolverine IIC (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 heavy rain - 2 pulse laser = 8): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (15/23 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine IIC (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 heavy rain = 12): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine IIC (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 heavy rain = 12): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine IIC (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 heavy rain = 12): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine IIC (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 heavy rain = 12): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 30 heat, sinks 30!

:shrug:

Sorry I missed the contingency, I must've failed to grab it when I copy/pasted your orders into my orders document. It happens sometimes when I'm tired and don't double-check what I'm grabbing. I promise it's never malicious!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 31, 2016

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Nothing is malicious by intent, but that doesn't stop the fluff from making it sound so. Like these Goshawks trying to get all up in the Dragoon II again. Or that one Goshawk jumping while prone and therefore in my head-canon trying to deliver a dropkick on our Dadlas and falling short to much shame and chagrin. (Which, really, works out better for what I hope to be the Turn of Goshawk Murder.) The latter is malicious by IC intent but hilarious in actual portrayal, obviously.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Awesome, thanks Poptarts :)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Also, the Chameleon's not overheating.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
So I'm thinking of running to 0638 and continuing to try to get backshots on the wolverine. Any other suggestions?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Someone needs to start thinking about keeping that tunnel clean of infantry.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Affi posted:

It might be too early to worry about it. On the other hand, if Ax-man is feeling better, the Komodo can wipe them out singlehandedly.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Affi posted:

Someone needs to hold the door, you say?

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Which hex is the prone goshawk in - I had a little trouble figuring that out.
Sadly it's not the goshawk near me or I'd goomba stomp that thing.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Alchenar posted:

Someone needs to hold the door, you say?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

mcjomar posted:

Which hex is the prone goshawk in - I had a little trouble figuring that out.
Sadly it's not the goshawk near me or I'd goomba stomp that thing.

The one with the blue shoulder pads in 1334.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gwaihir posted:

Couple good options for GoonMercs:

Atlas is in prime position to be a royal pain: Moving to 0931, facing 1030, unloading PPCS and HGR at the Nidhogg, and kicking the Stooping Hawk (potential one shot). The Grasshopper would need to move up as well to 0830, otherwise the Ace Lucerne hawk hunter would be able to run right down and go for a head kick against the Atlas. The grasshopper right there would protect him from kicks and backshots though.

Ostscout can run north to 1729 facing 1628, and try for a TAG on the Mad Dog, which if successful grants the Salamander an ideal shot to unload on it. (7 hex range if the sally stands still, which isn't completely insane since it's untouched.) The Goshawk leader is a good target too- Same move mod, same range, and bonus that he's already damaged.

Lancelot and Bethany can just sidle back up to the berm and have their choice of backshots, especially on the Goshawk in 1534, since it doesn't have cover from you guys like the one in 1334 does.

Gunsmith could run down to 1424 and shoot up the Mad Dog, too.

anyone want to kibitz this set of moves? I'm happy to guard the Atlas if I have enough moves with MASC to get there. Torso twists are free, aren't they?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Gwaihir posted:

Atlas is in prime position to be a royal pain: Moving to 0931, facing 1030, unloading PPCS and HGR at the Nidhogg, and kicking the Stooping Hawk (potential one shot). The Grasshopper would need to move up as well to 0830, otherwise the Ace Lucerne hawk hunter would be able to run right down and go for a head kick against the Atlas. The grasshopper right there would protect him from kicks and backshots though.

It might be better for the Atlas to target the Copperhead instead. It would still be in short range with its PPCs and won't be taking any minimum range penalties with its HGR, plus we know the Copperhead walked while the Nidhogg may have jumped. It's easier to hit and has less armour to boot.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

But that would involve getting shot in the back and then be surrounded more easily than the other move would be (which still risks the same, but the jumpers and strong enemies are mostly on the right).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Scintilla posted:

It might be better for the Atlas to target the Copperhead instead. It would still be in short range with its PPCs and won't be taking any minimum range penalties with its HGR, plus we know the Copperhead walked while the Nidhogg may have jumped. It's easier to hit and has less armour to boot.

Yea, copperhead is a great target too, especially if the gunsmith also goes for it.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Scintilla posted:

The one with the blue shoulder pads in 1334.

Okay, that's miles away then.
The goshawk II 4 in 1936 Is the nearest to me, which I can either land right behind, or try to shoot from up the hill.
The lucerne concerns me though - ACE!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I hadn't noticed the dog-river has ceased to keep the door open.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

RA Rx posted:

But that would involve getting shot in the back and then be surrounded more easily than the other move would be (which still risks the same, but the jumpers and strong enemies are mostly on the right).

I didn't mean for him to stand still, but to do what Gwaihir suggested and move to 0931 and face the Stooping Hawk. In that case he'll be hitting on 7s for all his big guns. If he did stay still he'd be hitting on 5s, but it'd be more of a risk and wouldn't let him potentially leg the Stooping Hawk after firing.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

mcjomar posted:

Okay, that's miles away then.
The goshawk II 4 in 1936 Is the nearest to me, which I can either land right behind, or try to shoot from up the hill.
The lucerne concerns me though - ACE!

I'm not sure that it's worth going directly behind it, you trade a potential kick for being at short range for the micro pulses on the ERLL arm. You can keep all your weapons at short range by running to 1933 facing 1833, which also grants partial cover against the heavies (Even though it's super likely that they'll be shooting the atlas grasshopper or salamander instead of you). You could jump, too, but without much return fire threat you might like the better shots from running instead.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

The Goshawk II in 1936? Yeah, the space in 1935 is going to be occupied by the Dragoon II. Unlike others, the Dragoon II has no good option to avoid both Goshawk 5 and Goshawk II 4's micropulse sets. But heading to 1935 would drastically cut down the amount of laser fire I am taking from the pair who have set up to flank me and really carve into my safe options. And also allow me to provide a single shot UAC/20 enema alongside a justice foot to try and mission kill the Goshawk II whilst limiting the fire I take. The vast majority of other move options for me would invite backshots from either the remainder of the Goshawk Sentai Squad or, worse, the Heavy Star.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo posted:

anyone want to kibitz this set of moves? I'm happy to guard the Atlas if I have enough moves with MASC to get there. Torso twists are free, aren't they?

Alright, after a chat in irc I'm going to jump to 0831, facing 0931 and unload on the pulse murderboat in 1030 which has me as its zell buddy. Good times gigantic fella, let's dance.

e: just linking the doc again https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QFsYazXpGqU60EoAuAtLGB_1X9RKMVDnLC2jhBa49S0/edit#gid=659985894

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 31, 2016

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
Champion thinking of backing into 2333 again to get short range backshots on the goshawk in 1936. Anyone need me to support them elsewhere instead?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Following the plan, going in to kick the guy in 1030 and unload my guns on the Copperhead Alpha.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Corponation posted:

Champion thinking of backing into 2333 again to get short range backshots on the goshawk in 1936. Anyone need me to support them elsewhere instead?

I don't think you are actually hitting rear armor from there, but it's still the best shots you have , on 9s. Sitting still would be tempting fate a bit too much.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Scintilla posted:

[...] the Nidhogg may have jumped.
It doesn't change much, but the Nidhogg walked.

I am not quite sure where to go with the Flashman. I am tempted to move to 1427 and justice foot the Vulture in the head, but I'm not sure if there is something better.

Any ideas?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ardlen posted:

It doesn't change much, but the Nidhogg walked.

I am not quite sure where to go with the Flashman. I am tempted to move to 1427 and justice foot the Vulture in the head, but I'm not sure if there is something better.

Any ideas?

Hm, you've got a hard choice. I would not want to run that close to the Copperhead, because you'll be in range to get blapped really heavily by the Goshawk leader and his huge pulse laser battery.

Other options all have various levels of "Oh dear" associated with them, but you could run to 1034 and face off against the Grendel or finish putting down the Wolverine, or there's various levels of maybe crazy by running forward straight to 0828 and shooting at the Hawk Hunter (Although you do get a +3 move mod from this, so it might turn out to actually be your safest bet).

Backing up is a conservative choice, but you'd have a +1 move mod at best and that might not end well since you would be firmly in range of the other goshawks. Your armor is fine except for, unfortunately, your CT at 3 which is a problem.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Orders in. That Goshawk in 1936 may be a pain; can someone kill the little git?

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Gladly.

Doubleumc
Jun 3, 2006
Going back to bonus chat, an actual full-on negotiation during combat is not feasible but you could probably go with something like this:

"Intentionally inviting a battleship-scale bombardment on our position is not within mission scope. We'll be submitting a hefty compensation package and expect it to be fulfilled."

With "hefty" being whatever Jason/Duncan (aka. PTN) deems appropriate when they're back at base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Doubleumc posted:

Going back to bonus chat, an actual full-on negotiation during combat is not feasible but you could probably go with something like this:

"Intentionally inviting a battleship-scale bombardment on our position is not within mission scope. We'll be submitting a hefty compensation package and expect it to be fulfilled."

With "hefty" being whatever Jason/Duncan (aka. PTN) deems appropriate when they're back at base.

Meh. When you're the specific target, the difference between a battleship and a destroyer is completely irrelevant. You're hosed if you're under naval bombardment by anything.

• Locked thread