Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

iwentdoodie posted:

You must not live in socal. Everyone here stops at least a car length, sometimes two, behind the loving line.

Which is awesome when it's a single magnetic sensor and they are nowhere near it.

I guess California is big because that literally never happens in Southern California where I live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

fyodor posted:

I guess California is big because that literally never happens in Southern California where I live.

Maybe it's just my commute and area I live then. It's a running joke with everyone I work with.

Temecula/Oceanside areas.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Lime Tonics posted:

This is definitely not awesome, right?

edit : it is in Missouri somewhere.
ROAD TRIP!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

iwentdoodie posted:

Maybe it's just my commute and area I live then. It's a running joke with everyone I work with.

In the Coachella valley it all depends on the age of the driver. Old? Two to three car lengths behind the line, then slowly creep forward until the light turns green and they wait for 5 more seconds just to be sure. Not old? On or past the crosswalk, everything else the same.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
My theory is that people are trying to game the sensors into thinking there are more cars there, by triggering the sensor further back. I doubt that works and I doubt it is that well thought out.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

iwentdoodie posted:

Well-heeled old people and gnarly bros would definitely do what you said. Oof how do you deal with them?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bogatyr posted:

My theory is that people are trying to game the sensors into thinking there are more cars there, by triggering the sensor further back. I doubt that works and I doubt it is that well thought out.

This definitely works with the left turn arrows here in southern Ontario. Most of them won't trigger if just the forward sensor detects a car, but the sensor 2-3 car lengths back will trigger it whether there's a car over the forward sensor or not. So you pull up 3 cars short of the line, covering the rear sensor, everyone looks at you like you're an idiot, but you get your advance green arrow. Beats waiting in the intersection until the light turns red and the inevitable 2-3 cars that are going to run the red go past before you can safely turn.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Linedance posted:

This definitely works with the left turn arrows here in southern Ontario. Most of them won't trigger if just the forward sensor detects a car, but the sensor 2-3 car lengths back will trigger it whether there's a car over the forward sensor or not. So you pull up 3 cars short of the line, covering the rear sensor, everyone looks at you like you're an idiot, but you get your advance green arrow. Beats waiting in the intersection until the light turns red and the inevitable 2-3 cars that are going to run the red go past before you can safely turn.

Haha I do the same thing, also in southern Ontario.

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009

Sorry for the potato-quality picture; I had to take it in a bit of a stealthy way, as the driver was approaching it. The front also had an equally bad bumper and decals.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Shinde posted:

Sorry for the potato-quality picture; I had to take it in a bit of a stealthy way, as the driver was approaching it. The front also had an equally bad bumper and decals.

"Another dumb Scion mod, I don't see th-

...that's a Prius. :wtc: "

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Night Danger Moose posted:

"Another dumb Scion mod, I don't see th-

...that's a Prius. :wtc: "

I see a hellaflushed Prius with a giant fart can every day on my commute. It's like a mid 50s woman, too.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
There's a Prius in my neighborhood with the skinny, low rolling resistance tires replaced with wide, low-profile performance tires on aftermarket rims. I wonder how many MPG that cost.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
It always kills me when I see hybrids being driven on the highway at 20+ MPH over the speed limit.

"I spent extra money on a hybrid so I can get the same gas mileage as any other ICE powered car that is driven at a reasonable speed"
/
:smug:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Geoj posted:

It always kills me when I see hybrids being driven on the highway at 20+ MPH over the speed limit.

"I spent extra money on a hybrid so I can get the same gas mileage as any other ICE powered car that is driven at a reasonable speed"
/

<5 l/100km @ 130kph is pretty loving great at 5:30am on my loving lovely commute to my loving lovely office. Small victories.

It should be noted that nobody spends more for a hybrid, they spend their budget. Nobody is buying a hybrid, whether $35k new or $12k used, that wasn't going to spend $35k or $12k on any other vehicle if hybrids didn't exist.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Geoj posted:

/

It's still going to get great mileage at 80mph.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, my smugmobile will get 45 mpg cruising at 80. If I draft a semi (which normally do 65-70 on interstates) it'll get as high as 65 mpg.

The only things I've found that really puts a dent in economy is freezing temps, hill climbing, and for reasons I haven't been able to figure out, rain.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
Theoretically, speed shouldn't affect MPG. Though, making the engine hotter probably results in more frictional resistance, I guess. Then air resistance, which is weird voodoo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Air resistance turns into a big loving deal after a point, but the difference from 55 to 75 isn't super huge.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Air friction increases with the square of the speed. Double your speed, force due to air friction quadruples. Going from 55 mph to 75 mph, you air friction will increase 86%.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Uthor posted:

Air friction increases with the square of the speed. Double your speed, force due to air friction quadruples. Going from 55 mph to 75 mph, you air friction will increase 86%.

Come now, that equation is very general.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah, but it's right.

You can even come pretty close to calculating actual drag with just cd and frontal surface area.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

xzzy posted:

Yeah, my smugmobile will get 45 mpg cruising at 80. If I draft a semi (which normally do 65-70 on interstates) it'll get as high as 65 mpg.

The only things I've found that really puts a dent in economy is freezing temps, hill climbing, and for reasons I haven't been able to figure out, rain.

Rain probably significantly changes your rolling resistance, and slightly increases air resistance due to the water on the car and thicker air due to the humidity?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Styling and Excellent item.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

iwentdoodie posted:

You must not live in socal. Everyone here stops at least a car length, sometimes two, behind the loving line.

Which is awesome when it's a single magnetic sensor and they are nowhere near it.

I had to get out of my car the other day and knock on the window of the car in front of me to tell them to roll forward. Otherwise we were literally going to be there all night.

Guess how old the driver was? Older than dirt is correct!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Puddin posted:

Styling and Excellent item.

This is the version of the car that comes with the same tires they put on the fr-s/86 which started the whole "the fr-s comes with lovely prius tires!" backlash.

Never mind that plenty of manufacturers like Mercedes Benz use the same tires as OEM tires.

This is terrible car culture stuff. The tires are fine.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

The Locator posted:

Rain probably significantly changes your rolling resistance, and slightly increases air resistance due to the water on the car and thicker air due to the humidity?

Humid air is less dense than dry air! Science! I thought it was thicker until just recently, too, but water vapor is about 2/3 the density of air, so as water vapor displaces air the density drops. Apparently this can even impact take-off speeds for aircraft.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dave Inc. posted:

Humid air is less dense than dry air! Science! I thought it was thicker until just recently, too, but water vapor is about 2/3 the density of air, so as water vapor displaces air the density drops. Apparently this can even impact take-off speeds for aircraft.

Because the moisture takes up space that would normally be occupied by air :eng101:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Dave Inc. posted:

Ok yes, but isn't that moisture going to provide more resistance than dry air (which is what I was trying to say)? Obviously, I could be completely wrong!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was in another parking lot and a guy in a Prius rolled through the stop sign, cut down the lane, cut over, and back up the next lane, speeding obviously, all to avoid someone who was stopped for pedestrians leaving the store. This poo poo happens 2 or 3 times a week. I should get a dash cam.

I really don't want to drive like an rear end in a top hat, but it seems like something you have to do to fit in around here.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

The Locator posted:

Ok yes, but isn't that moisture going to provide more resistance than dry air (which is what I was trying to say)? Obviously, I could be completely wrong!

Nope, the density of the air is what generates the resistance. I got into looking at this a while back because I had the thought that high humidity would increase the cooling efficiency of engines, but it turns out the opposite is true because there's less airmass moving over the radiator (even though the water vapor can hold more heat).

When you add in the actual rain, though, that can change it up (and definitely will cool down a radiator), but I'm not sure of its impact on air resistance. Water on the ground will increase rolling resistance, though, as now the tires have to push it out of the way.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Dave Inc. posted:

Nope, the density of the air is what generates the resistance. I got into looking at this a while back because I had the thought that high humidity would increase the cooling efficiency of engines, but it turns out the opposite is true because there's less airmass moving over the radiator (even though the water vapor can hold more heat).

Learn something new every day! Thanks.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I was browsing some auctions and came across this:

https://www.huutokaupat.com/fi/v/309717

Just click the pictures.

What in the gently caress.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
At least it just looks like fibreglass over-fenders and hasn't destroyed the interior.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
e: ya interior at least is pretty well kept

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Eskaton posted:

Theoretically, speed shouldn't affect MPG.

Ah hahaha what

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

sandoz posted:

Ah hahaha what

Conservation of energy and whatever. I'm talking very far away from practice theoretically.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Eskaton posted:

Conservation of energy and whatever. I'm talking very far away from practice theoretically.

Please elaborate.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Eskaton posted:

No, you're talking bollocks.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Eskaton posted:

That theoretically, driving along a flat road at any constant speed doesn't use any fuel whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In that special universe where mechanical engineers live and everything is frictionless because it makes the math easier, maintaining speed is free. :colbert: