Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
So when they triggered the Spanish civil war, if for example the USA got split between fascists and democrats/republicans, could there be a US civil war? Or is that just a Spain only thing due to the nature of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Top Hats Monthly posted:

So when they triggered the Spanish civil war, if for example the USA got split between fascists and democrats/republicans, could there be a US civil war? Or is that just a Spain only thing due to the nature of the time

all nations can have civil wars. You can deliberately trigger them with coups and influence raising, but it costs political power Fuerher mana.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

They have dynamic civil wars like EU4. It can only be between two ideologies AFAIK.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It can be more than one though?

The Spanish Civil War can result in a democracy OR communist if the republic wins

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Phi230 posted:

The Spanish Civil War can result in a democracy OR communist if the republic wins

The Chinese and Spanish civil wars are exceptions.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Führer mana is the best thing ever

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Israel should be

ישראל

فلسطين

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Phi230 posted:

Can it? I hadn't heard that

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It would make sense if the Republican side got some kind of event that would choose one side over the other (as in every other HOI) game, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they just oversimplified it by making the Republican side automatically belong to the communist camp. A bit disappointed but not surprised.

It looks like the Wiki restructuring wiped out all of the country guides too. Before almost all of them were just placeholder text with the opening paragraphs copied from the previous HOI wikis, so I'm looking forward to those getting filled once the game is released and people play around with various countries.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Is there a similar embargo for beta testers/ early access that will be lifted later this week, like they did for Stellaris?

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7qu2UcSIkM

Another beginner tutorial series.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Drone posted:

It would make sense if the Republican side got some kind of event that would choose one side over the other (as in every other HOI) game, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they just oversimplified it by making the Republican side automatically belong to the communist camp. A bit disappointed but not surprised.

There's an achievement that needs Spain to be Communist OR Democratic, so I suspect they've added an event line post-war to decide which factions of the anarchist side take primacy, but that in 'normal' civil wars you're committed to one side or the other. Can you pick your side when a civil war breaks out, as in Kaiserreich?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

OperaMouse posted:

Is there a similar embargo for beta testers/ early access that will be lifted later this week, like they did for Stellaris?

Yeah, on Thursday I believe.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

https://twitter.com/HOI_Game/status/737287084914946048

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Are the provinces that succeed during the Spanish Civil War pre-determined, or random? Just wondering because I think that Spain would be a decent way to learn the game

TeenageArchipelago fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 31, 2016

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

To the guy who said the wiki has been updated, you weren't kidding. There's shitloads of solid mechanical detail on land, air and sea warfare up that wasn't there before.

Including details like how night bombers literally cannot be intercepted without either RADAR or some air doctrines researched.

Edit: Although actually reading it, it looks like some typos remain:

quote:

Also important to note, there is a maximum number of air wings allowed in a combat simulation: 8. With each air wing currently able to support up to 1,000 aircraft, this means there's a theoretical limit to the number of aircraft that can enter a combat simulation: 1,000.

Looks like it confirms some elements I'd consider missing, like how naval bombardment cannot of itself hurt anything, it still just provides a combat modifier to land combat already going on. There was something cool about the US Navy's battlewagons rocking up on some tiny Pacific island and wrecking faces, then loving off back to Pearl.

Gort fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 31, 2016

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Gort posted:

Including details like how night bombers literally cannot be intercepted without either RADAR or some air doctrines researched.

We should disband the Luftwaffe and build FLAK instead.
-Hitler, 1944

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Is it just me or is the mass assault doctrine just not as good as the others? Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I don't see why you would pick it or stay on course with it unless you are China and heading into a war almost immediately.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Is it just me or is the mass assault doctrine just not as good as the others? Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I don't see why you would pick it or stay on course with it unless you are China and heading into a war almost immediately.

The Deep Battle branch looks okay, but I'm not an expert on these kinda things. I always wound up going Mobility in DH.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Gort posted:

To the guy who said the wiki has been updated, you weren't kidding. There's shitloads of solid mechanical detail on land, air and sea warfare up that wasn't there before.

They simply imported the Beta Wiki entries.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I think it is a matter of "well, I don't have industry, might as well throw my soldiers at them and hope for the best!"

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I think it is a matter of "well, I don't have industry, might as well throw my soldiers at them and hope for the best!"

As far as I can tell, it is. It's designed for the Chinese and I guess other Asian or South American countries

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

GaussianCopula posted:

They simply imported the Beta Wiki entries.

I suppose that means something if you had access to the Beta Wiki before three days ago

Top Hats Monthly posted:

As far as I can tell, it is. It's designed for the Chinese and I guess other Asian or South American countries

I'm not really convinced. A lot of the "mass assault" doctrine choices give you more manpower, which is quite a long way down the list of things China and the USSR need.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
But if they are % modifiers, which I assume they are, then they are also the nations which can get the most use out of those boosts. My main concern with the doctrines is that they seem to be completing the tree around 1940 which is just ridiculous. Warfare changed hugely over the next 5 years, and it makes no sense for Germany to be researching the volkskrieg or whatever in 1940 at the peak of their expansion.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

The Deep Battle doctrine branch for Mass Assault looks like it's got some pretty good tactics and bonuses though. Having a 25% reduction to org loss when moving and some good reductions in supply requirements allows for some late-game Soviet Steamroller operations which would otherwise bog down other doctrines.

The devs have gone on the record saying that the Mass Mobilization branch is meant to be a stopgap tree to model the early Soviets/Chinese, like the Desperate Defense branch of Mobile Warfare is meant to model late-war German tactics.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-development-diary-4-land-doctrines.769073/

Does anyone know if the AI is going to be willing to spend political power to sway another nation's government toward their own ideology? There are several researches available that add resistance to such action (the UK gets a couple for example), but I'm wondering if it would even be necessary to grab those in a single player game.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

texasmed posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-development-diary-4-land-doctrines.769073/

Does anyone know if the AI is going to be willing to spend political power to sway another nation's government toward their own ideology? There are several researches available that add resistance to such action (the UK gets a couple for example), but I'm wondering if it would even be necessary to grab those in a single player game.

I don't think the AI is capable of boosting party support or supporting coups.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

sudo rm -rf posted:

I don't think the AI is capable of boosting party support or supporting coups.

I seem to recall a dev diary off handedly mentioning that AI willingness to plan coups had to be tweaked down (which suggests they can), but I could be hallucinating.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Is that the same kind of dev diary offhandedly mentioning getting beaten by the AI though?

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Thanks for pointing it out folks, I just read that dev diary today and must have just glazed over this section https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-development-diary-54-ai.924168/

quote:

* Save for boosting party popularity, there is no feature in the game that the AI is completely barred from using. It being intended more as a sandbox feature for players. We have also had to limit it a lot when it comes to staging coups.
WWW tomorrow, new tutorial videos every day, wiki being updated :f5: come on June 6!

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
I agree with this decision, boosting party popularity has always been a sandbox feature for players to craft their own a-historical alliances or to neutralize threats "peacefully". It was already pretty iffy in HoI3 to give the AI access to all the espionage options.

Also anyone know if we're going to get an option to enable being able to see occupied territory, feels weird to roll into a country and not have their original borders indicated by stripes.

Neobdragon fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 1, 2016

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Neobdragon posted:

I agree with this decision, boosting party popularity has always been a sandbox feature for players to craft their own a-historical alliances or to neutralize threats "peacefully". It was already pretty iffy in HoI3 to give the AI access to all the espionage options.

Also anyone know if we're going to get an option to enable being able to see occupied territory, feels weird to roll into a country and not have their original borders indicated by stripes.

US Civil War :getin:

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

If I'm reading the land doctrine page right, the mobile infantry and modern blitzkrieg path gives more bonuses than the blitzkrieg and modern blitzkrieg path? Or is the +bonus to Army more powerful than I am realising?
Grand battle plan also seems like a much stronger tree than it was in HoI3, though I always was partial to the portion that gave you infiltration assault bonuses.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Hambilderberglar posted:

If I'm reading the land doctrine page right, the mobile infantry and modern blitzkrieg path gives more bonuses than the blitzkrieg and modern blitzkrieg path? Or is the +bonus to Army more powerful than I am realising?
Grand battle plan also seems like a much stronger tree than it was in HoI3, though I always was partial to the portion that gave you infiltration assault bonuses.

The trees give bonuses to different things.

Tank organisation seems to be very valuable as well - you seem to only get 1-3 points of that where infantry organisation tends to be 5-10.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Spiderfist Island posted:

The devs have gone on the record saying that the Mass Mobilization branch is meant to be a stopgap tree to model the early Soviets/Chinese, like the Desperate Defense branch of Mobile Warfare is meant to model late-war German tactics.
I understand that, and the innate desire to replicate such things and find some way to model them. But why would a player want to go down that path? From a gameplay perspective, only people doing a gimmick run are going to pick those over the other, clearly better, final choice for mobile warfare. This is double true if you can just spam doctrinal technology with no seeming penalty and discover full air land battle theory by 1941. The only choice where the lovely German desperate defense choice line would be worth it was if there was a 1944 bookmark and you needed those specific benefits as an axis country on the defence. Otherwise you're either already fully researched the doctrines, effectively captured your goals, or given up and reloaded.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Co-op Soviet Union game (1939)

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
where is the Salazar portrait?

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Hearts of Iron IV - Beginner Tutorial - Production and Deployment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWu1p46PyIY&feature=em-uploademail

Hearts of Iron IV - "Politics and Coups" - Developer Diary 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SMwEjVzzBY&feature=em-uploademail

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

This is painful. Who invades Norway and Sweden with 150 divisions while leaving Belorussia completely undefended against Germany?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
What a horrible https://www. Honestly it got so bad that it's funny. What are people thinking? At this point just do t even have a stream if you're going to come across as totally unprofessional.